[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Building an Elite program is hard work  (Read 4588 times)

burger

• All American
Re: Building an Elite program is hard work
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2024, 05:52:13 PM »
The guy with the bad A$$ attitude (Butler, Crowder, DJO) ripped off his MU shirt and will probably never play for MU again.

Trouble is we did not have enough players with that kind of grit.....

Grit does not go 4 for 31 on the big stage.  Because no stage is too big.....

The stage was too big for a couple.....

The stage was not that big for UConn when challenged when they went on a 31-0 run.....
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 05:55:27 PM by burger »

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2024, 07:43:55 PM »
The guy with the bad A$$ attitude (Butler, Crowder, DJO) ripped off his MU shirt and will probably never play for MU again.

Trouble is we did not have enough players with that kind of grit.....

Grit does not go 4 for 31 on the big stage.  Because no stage is too big.....

The stage was too big for a couple.....

The stage was not that big for UConn when challenged when they went on a 31-0 run.....

UConn did it all year long. They are destroying teams consistently.

We were prone to bad shooting nights throughout the year. It wasn't a one off night of bad shooting against NC State. It happened before.

You can't compare the two teams.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2024, 09:15:55 PM »
Muggsy

This has been a feel good, entertaining two years, but tougher and better players are needed. I am not going to comment on any specific player because they all have played a great role over the past two years. That said, I expect better and tougher guys down the road.

Goose

You’re reticent to comment on specific players but I’m not. We don’t need a tougher or better player at PG, TK is as tough and as good as it gets. At Oso and Jop’s position, however…

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2024, 09:23:35 PM »

They did come away super impressed with Stevie though. Called him our second best player a lot and how they needed to shut him down

1. No way Stevie was our second best player

2. He is guarded (very loosely) by our opponent’s weakest perimeter defender for a reason. Teams beg him to shoot, and “shutting him down” isn’t a priority for anybody we play.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2024, 10:04:49 PM »
1. No way Stevie was our second best player

2. He is guarded (very loosely) by our opponent’s weakest perimeter defender for a reason. Teams beg him to shoot, and “shutting him down” isn’t a priority for anybody we play.

I'm aware of that. But from they performance in the game that was the feeling of NC State fans in my section
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2024, 06:03:01 AM »
In 2009 Buzz graduated Wes / DJ / Jerel — arguably our greatest class.

Within 2 years he started MU’s best run since the 70s.

Shaka is just getting started.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Goose

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2024, 12:08:03 PM »
Lenny

I did comment on returning players on another thread. There is definitely a need for some more talent on the roster moving forward. I agree with your comment on Stevie, is not the second-best player on the team. I believe he benefited a great deal from the players around him the past two season. Happy MU has him, but I am hoping he is a 20-24 minute guy next year due to an upgrade in talent.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2024, 01:33:45 PM »
First, I want to say that I am extremely disappointed in the loss last night. Disappointed because they put themselves in position for a deep run and fell short. One of my biggest disappointments is that this short era of MU basketball is coming to an end. We have seen some very good basketball over the last two years and extremely entertaining basketball which I have appreciated every minute of. My biggest disappointment is that I did not get a chance to give TK the three minute standing ovation he deserves for what he has done for the program.

In full disclosure, I think the last two years were the most unique in MU history and will not be repeated, which I believe is a good thing. Two players changed a program and they were both a blessing and a curse to some degree. Oso is a unicorn and found the right coach, system and PG. TK surpassed every wild expectation that I had for him by a very wide margin and made everyone better. IMO, it was a curse because you had to run with these two guys and not disrupt the chemistry. There will never be a duo like those two again.

Now, the following is why I believe MU is on their way to being elite:

Head Coach: We have a proven leader and a guy that wants to be here. I heard from a very reliable source (non scooper) that Shaka was offered BAGS from two programs with a rich history over the past two weeks and rejected both immediately. He wants to be the HC at MU and that is how you build elite.

Culture: CHECK, CHECK, CHECK

Fanbase: check

Facilities: check

NIL; check, check, check

Player development: check, check, check

Recruiting: Shaka has proven he can recruit international players, retain players (a must today), and will have two portal tranfers in the NBA in his first three years.

Guys to NBA: check, check, check

I have two have two concerns and they both come down to flexibility. I believe Shaka has to become more engaged in the portal and/or recruit better players that can be an impact from day one. Second concern is in regard to NIL, MU has bags to spread to around, but appear to have a set plan in place in how to use it. IMO, they need to be less rigid in how they spread the bags around. Fortunately for MU I have no say in the NIL space because I possibly could somehow find a way to violate NCAA rules in an era of no rules.

I will add, elite is not built in three years, but foundations are built in three years. IMO, the last two seasons were bonus runs because of TK and Oso. They might have derailed the process a bit because Shaka ran with them, which was the right call. I have said many times that best Shaka team is down the road and I believe that. I think it will be built around guys like Chase Ross, the incoming freshmen and will be a defense first program.

I might end up being flat out wrong, but I have put far too much time and energy into this program over the past three years and believe my points are well thought out. As Shaka has said, Marquette basketball is the place to be.
Shaka has indeed built a very solid foundation. Three straight tourneys with increasing success is a great place to be. Should be able to bring in Portal talent needed to bridge the gap for a year.

Keeping an eye on the 25 Class of Recruits. In 24 Shaka brought in the type of long and skilled players MU has not been able to bring in ( plus redshirting a skilled big body bruiser in the 23 class ). If Shaka can repeat that level of recruiting in 25, and beyond, the momentum in this program will be Excellent.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MUbiz

• Team Captain
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2024, 02:13:24 PM »
Shaka has indeed built a very solid foundation. Three straight tourneys with increasing success is a great place to be. Should be able to bring in Portal talent needed to bridge the gap for a year.

Keeping an eye on the 25 Class of Recruits. In 24 Shaka brought in the type of long and skilled players MU has not been able to bring in ( plus redshirting a skilled big body bruiser in the 23 class ). If Shaka can repeat that level of recruiting in 25, and beyond, the momentum in this program will be Excellent.

I agree with this analysis.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2024, 01:42:07 PM »
Have already heard 2 different talking heads speculating that UConn is already the favorite to win it all next year. Better giddyup Shaka.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2024, 06:39:50 AM »
Have already heard 2 different talking heads speculating that UConn is already the favorite to win it all next year. Better giddyup Shaka.

Curious what roster they're basing that on, because Newton and Spencer are out of eligibility and Clingan and Castle are both projected lottery picks. Maybe Karaban comes back, but there's a decent shot he gets drafted as well if he goes. Maybe a lineup of Diarra/Nowell/Ball/Stewart/Johnson is a tourney team, and they'll likely be able to reinforce through the portal, but at the moment they aren't close to the favorite.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2024, 08:59:15 AM »
Curious what roster they're basing that on, because Newton and Spencer are out of eligibility and Clingan and Castle are both projected lottery picks. Maybe Karaban comes back, but there's a decent shot he gets drafted as well if he goes. Maybe a lineup of Diarra/Nowell/Ball/Stewart/Johnson is a tourney team, and they'll likely be able to reinforce through the portal, but at the moment they aren't close to the favorite.

Solely based on current rosters and incoming freshman w/o transfers, who is at the top of the preseason rankings?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2024, 10:12:19 AM »
Solely based on current rosters and incoming freshman w/o transfers, who is at the top of the preseason rankings?
Duke , Kentucky, or UW