[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Building an Elite program is hard work  (Read 4585 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Building an Elite program is hard work
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2024, 02:22:32 PM »
Worst fan base I have encountered in years of travel to away games. That said, they were out in force.

What made them so bad Dr.  B?  Ty.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2024, 03:58:21 PM »
Elite teams travel well. MU had the least amount of fans who travelled to Dallas. Not sure what was going on with tickets but NCST fans had blocks of sections in the secondary markets. Whether the school paid brokers or their fans just gobbled them up in blocks.  Weird

I thought MU had more fans in Indy even though the school allotment was bigger.

MU sold all 750 allotted. You are comparing a private to state public school. NC State has triple our enrollment.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2024, 04:10:05 PM »
MU sold all 750 allotted. You are comparing a private to state public school. NC State has triple our enrollment.

So is Duke and Villanova (private). Definitely one of the tops in Hawaii. Again, MU was number 2 of all teams at Indy and the overall turnout was not as much. If MU wants to be elite, it needs to travel and find a way to grab these blocks like these whole sections of NCST (non-allocated sections).

I thought the turnout was good, not great.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2024, 04:13:13 PM »
Well, NC State has a much larger fanbase, Houston is just a couple hours away, and Duke has a national following.

Of course Marquette had the smallest fanbase there.

And of course it was larger in Indy. People just drove down there from Milwaukee and Chicago.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2024, 04:28:00 PM »
Well, NC State has a much larger fanbase, Houston is just a couple hours away, and Duke has a national following.

Of course Marquette had the smallest fanbase there.

And of course it was larger in Indy. People just drove down there from Milwaukee and Chicago.

Thanks for the 411 Sultan. Again, my point is, if the MU fanbase wants an Elite program, show up for the chance to get to a Final 4.

How were the lumpy pillows on your couch?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2024, 04:30:29 PM »
I agree elite programs travel at a strong level. There is enough alums nationally to support the program. I did not attend either weekends due to work conditions and felt horribly not being there.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2024, 04:30:37 PM »
Thanks for the 411 Sultan. Again, my point is, if the MU fanbase wants an Elite program, show up for the chance to get to a Final 4.

How were the lumpy pillows on your couch?

The elite program creates the national fanbase. Otherwise its just a function of alumni size and distance from campus.

And my couch is great thanks. Just a couple years old so it's broken in nicely.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2024, 04:50:18 PM »
I agree elite programs travel at a strong level. There is enough alums nationally to support the program. I did not attend either weekends due to work conditions and felt horribly not being there.
Travelled over 5K miles 2 weekends and worked remote (did invoice) but that is how I roll for MU.
Goal is National Championship

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2024, 04:51:39 PM »
Travelled over 5K miles 2 weekends and worked remote (did invoice) but that is how I roll for MU.

I lucked out that I had a conference in Austin.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2024, 04:54:46 PM »
Yeah. I had a guy argue with me about the 5 second call and I was baffled a bit by the knowledge of the fanbase.

They did come away super impressed with Stevie though. Called him our second best player a lot and how they needed to shut him down
They were right about Stevie.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2024, 04:57:35 PM »
Newsie

I told multiple friends of your support of the program. I wish you had been rewarded with a couple of more wins. You are a damn good fan.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2024, 08:38:33 AM »
First, I want to say that I am extremely disappointed in the loss last night. Disappointed because they put themselves in position for a deep run and fell short. One of my biggest disappointments is that this short era of MU basketball is coming to an end. We have seen some very good basketball over the last two years and extremely entertaining basketball which I have appreciated every minute of. My biggest disappointment is that I did not get a chance to give TK the three minute standing ovation he deserves for what he has done for the program.

In full disclosure, I think the last two years were the most unique in MU history and will not be repeated, which I believe is a good thing. Two players changed a program and they were both a blessing and a curse to some degree. Oso is a unicorn and found the right coach, system and PG. TK surpassed every wild expectation that I had for him by a very wide margin and made everyone better. IMO, it was a curse because you had to run with these two guys and not disrupt the chemistry. There will never be a duo like those two again.

Now, the following is why I believe MU is on their way to being elite:

Head Coach: We have a proven leader and a guy that wants to be here. I heard from a very reliable source (non scooper) that Shaka was offered BAGS from two programs with a rich history over the past two weeks and rejected both immediately. He wants to be the HC at MU and that is how you build elite.

Culture: CHECK, CHECK, CHECK

Fanbase: check

Facilities: check

NIL; check, check, check

Player development: check, check, check

Recruiting: Shaka has proven he can recruit international players, retain players (a must today), and will have two portal tranfers in the NBA in his first three years.

Guys to NBA: check, check, check

I have two have two concerns and they both come down to flexibility. I believe Shaka has to become more engaged in the portal and/or recruit better players that can be an impact from day one. Second concern is in regard to NIL, MU has bags to spread to around, but appear to have a set plan in place in how to use it. IMO, they need to be less rigid in how they spread the bags around. Fortunately for MU I have no say in the NIL space because I possibly could somehow find a way to violate NCAA rules in an era of no rules.

I will add, elite is not built in three years, but foundations are built in three years. IMO, the last two seasons were bonus runs because of TK and Oso. They might have derailed the process a bit because Shaka ran with them, which was the right call. I have said many times that best Shaka team is down the road and I believe that. I think it will be built around guys like Chase Ross, the incoming freshmen and will be a defense first program.

I might end up being flat out wrong, but I have put far too much time and energy into this program over the past three years and believe my points are well thought out. As Shaka has said, Marquette basketball is the place to be.
Agree with most of this Goose. MU must make changes, especially in portal to be elite. I have not looked, but how long has it taken Hurley to make that program at the top of the mountain?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2024, 08:42:55 AM »
Agree with most of this Goose. MU must make changes, especially in portal to be elite. I have not looked, but how long has it taken Hurley to make that program at the top of the mountain?

69 weeks
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2024, 09:03:19 AM »
Goose, great post. Agree with it all except I am willing to be patient and understand that we will have some down years for Shaka to fulfill his vision of recruiting primarily high school players who will be with us multiple years to develop and not consistently recruited  over.

Now, if we have a team like this years where 2 or 3 players could leave for the pros, one player in Sean who will not be available, then he will have to use the portal, but carefully.

I hope he stays true to his vision and doesn’t do what every other team is trying to do, reload every year.  Then we are just like all teams. That will mean down years but that’s fine and we have to embrace that.

It’s a slower burn, but a vision I hope you stays true to.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2024, 10:42:26 AM »
Goo

I do not disagree with your post, with only exception of you define elite. My definition is high and I think a hybrid philosophy is needed to reach elite. Getting 1-2 two or three year portal guys is how I envision, with an occasional one year guy. I believe re-recruiting guys you lost is the receipt for success. You already know they are good kids and like their families.

Plus, Shaka has recruited two portal guys with multiple years left and both are NBA players. Great recruiting tool.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2024, 10:58:44 AM »
With our NIL, and with Shaka as coach, we can do very well in the portal.

Serious question…do we really hope Oso returns, or do we move on? 

Based on his potential, yes.  Based on how he finished out, hmmm. 

Move on, or try to refine and give him a killer instinct?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2024, 11:01:18 AM »
With our NIL, and with Shaka as coach, we can do very well in the portal.

Serious question…do we really hope Oso returns, or do we move on? 

Based on his potential, yes.  Based on how he finished out, hmmm. 

Move on, or try to refine and give him a killer instinct.

Of course we hope Oso returns.  But we need to find badass mfers for sure.  This is an extremely difficult day for MU fans.  I really feel like we blew a tremendous opportunity.  We have no choice but to move on and find bucket getters and reload. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2024, 11:03:49 AM »
Of course we hope Oso returns.  But we need to find badass mfers for sure.  This is an extremely difficult day for MU fans.  I really feel like we blew a tremendous opportunity.  We have no choice but to move on and find bucket getters and reload.

He needs a bad a$$ attitude next year.   

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2024, 11:07:00 AM »

He was hired in 2018. He didn't  make the tourney until 2021.

Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2024, 11:11:17 AM »
real

Tough question for me. While I have loved the first three years of Shaka, I have been waiting to see what a 100%, or close to, Shaka recruit team will looks like. I guess I am excited for the next new chapter of MU ball to begin, and that is not a rip on Oso at all.

IMO, Shaka caught lightning in bottle twice in his first three years and now it is time to step things up. Time to up the level of recruits and get even better on defense.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2024, 11:17:38 AM »
He needs a bad a$$ attitude next year.

Agreed.  All of us must increase our intensity.   :)

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2024, 11:54:07 AM »
First, I want to say that I am extremely disappointed in the loss last night. Disappointed because they put themselves in position for a deep run and fell short. One of my biggest disappointments is that this short era of MU basketball is coming to an end. We have seen some very good basketball over the last two years and extremely entertaining basketball which I have appreciated every minute of. My biggest disappointment is that I did not get a chance to give TK the three minute standing ovation he deserves for what he has done for the program.

In full disclosure, I think the last two years were the most unique in MU history and will not be repeated, which I believe is a good thing. Two players changed a program and they were both a blessing and a curse to some degree. Oso is a unicorn and found the right coach, system and PG. TK surpassed every wild expectation that I had for him by a very wide margin and made everyone better. IMO, it was a curse because you had to run with these two guys and not disrupt the chemistry. There will never be a duo like those two again.

Now, the following is why I believe MU is on their way to being elite:

Head Coach: We have a proven leader and a guy that wants to be here. I heard from a very reliable source (non scooper) that Shaka was offered BAGS from two programs with a rich history over the past two weeks and rejected both immediately. He wants to be the HC at MU and that is how you build elite.

Culture: CHECK, CHECK, CHECK

Fanbase: check

Facilities: check

NIL; check, check, check

Player development: check, check, check

Recruiting: Shaka has proven he can recruit international players, retain players (a must today), and will have two portal tranfers in the NBA in his first three years.

Guys to NBA: check, check, check

I have two have two concerns and they both come down to flexibility. I believe Shaka has to become more engaged in the portal and/or recruit better players that can be an impact from day one. Second concern is in regard to NIL, MU has bags to spread to around, but appear to have a set plan in place in how to use it. IMO, they need to be less rigid in how they spread the bags around. Fortunately for MU I have no say in the NIL space because I possibly could somehow find a way to violate NCAA rules in an era of no rules.

I will add, elite is not built in three years, but foundations are built in three years. IMO, the last two seasons were bonus runs because of TK and Oso. They might have derailed the process a bit because Shaka ran with them, which was the right call. I have said many times that best Shaka team is down the road and I believe that. I think it will be built around guys like Chase Ross, the incoming freshmen and will be a defense first program.

I might end up being flat out wrong, but I have put far too much time and energy into this program over the past three years and believe my points are well thought out. As Shaka has said, Marquette basketball is the place to be.

I guess will find out tomorrow. Its April fools day. Yeah that was a brutal loss. However, the last 3 seasons under Shaka have been so much fun and I don't think any one of us want to return to the Wojo years. If we're picked ninth in the Big East next season watch out.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 11:57:22 AM by muwarrior69 »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2024, 04:55:35 PM »
Probably didn't help his draft position.
Absolutely correct.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2024, 04:59:46 PM »
He was hired in 2018. He didn't  make the tourney until 2021.
So 3 years to rebuild. Year 4 a Natty and likely back to back in year 5.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2024, 05:00:45 PM »
So 3 years to rebuild. Year 4 a Natty and likely back to back in year 5.

You couldn’t look that up yourself? 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

feedback