Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 NCAA Tournament Thread  (Read 110250 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: 2024 NCAA Tournament Thread
« Reply #550 on: March 23, 2024, 09:07:08 AM »
JMU should have won by 30.  That was a terrible game by Wisconsin.

Gard forgot how to work the refs.  He was too busy preparing. 

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #551 on: March 23, 2024, 09:20:16 AM »
Love me some reading of the Greg Gard old guard types defending him to the people wanting him fired :)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #552 on: March 23, 2024, 09:29:30 AM »
Fluffy, they didn't  intentionally get into a track meet.  They couldn't bring the ball up the floor and looked like a rec team. 

That is true but there were plenty of time early when UW tried to run with them. Played right into their hands.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #553 on: March 23, 2024, 09:30:16 AM »
Love me some reading of the Greg Gard old guard types defending him to the people wanting him fired :)

They are in purgatory with Gard at the helm. Does just good enough not to get fired. Best case scenario for their program is that they lose a few good players to the portal, bottom out next year, pull the plug on Gard, and get a fresh start in 2025-2026.  Alternatively, they could pull the plug now and be competing almost immediately like we did with Shaka, but probably not very realistic after getting a 5 seed this year.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 09:33:40 AM by CountryRoads »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #554 on: March 23, 2024, 09:45:55 AM »
They are in purgatory with Gard at the helm. Does just good enough not to get fired. Best case scenario for their program is that they lose a few good players to the portal, bottom out next year, pull the plug on Gard, and get a fresh start in 2025-2026.  Alternatively, they could pull the plug now and be competing almost immediately like we did with Shaka, but probably not very realistic after getting a 5 seed this year.

All that matters is what the money folks want done in Madison.  They’ll be making the decision.  If they tell Mac the well is going to dry up a bit, Gard will be gone.

Also, I’m not entirely sure who the obvious replacement is.  It’ll certainly be outside the family.  There ain’t anyone falling off the Bo tree.  They’ll clamor for Otzelberger but if he takes a job in-state, it’s far more likely it would be Marquette.  Just because he’s from Wisconsin doesn’t mean he has much affinity for that program.

Based on Dusty May being the hot candidate this off-season, be careful what you wish for
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #555 on: March 23, 2024, 09:49:24 AM »
That is true but there were plenty of time early when UW tried to run with them. Played right into their hands.

That's fair.  Wisky's/Gard's biggest prob is that while they generally wanted to play with more tempo, and their offense could be dynamic at times, their defense was a dumpster 🔥. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #556 on: March 23, 2024, 09:50:24 AM »
All that matters is what the money folks want done in Madison.  They’ll be making the decision.  If they tell Mac the well is going to dry up a bit, Gard will be gone.

Also, I’m not entirely sure who the obvious replacement is.  It’ll certainly be outside the family.  There ain’t anyone falling off the Bo tree.  They’ll clamor for Otzelberger but if he takes a job in-state, it’s far more likely it would be Marquette.  Just because he’s from Wisconsin doesn’t mean he has much affinity for that program.

Based on Dusty May being the hot candidate this off-season, be careful what you wish for

Chris Collins?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #557 on: March 23, 2024, 09:51:00 AM »

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #558 on: March 23, 2024, 10:17:30 AM »
My Chaos Big Board for Badger Coaching candidates:

1. Tony Bennett soft landing a la Shaka at Texas.  A National Championship but very underwhelming since.  Badgers stay aesthetically the same.

2. Kim English just to watch Providence burn to the ground.

3. Bruce Pearl, but selling your soul to the devil is required.

4. Chris Holtmann...HAHA, just kidding.

5. Jeff Gard, Greg's younger brother but having a good run at UW-Platteville.  Could be the next Bo Ryan

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #559 on: March 23, 2024, 10:33:29 AM »
My Chaos Big Board for Badger Coaching candidates:

1. Tony Bennett soft landing a la Shaka at Texas.  A National Championship but very underwhelming since.  Badgers stay aesthetically the same.

2. Kim English just to watch Providence burn to the ground.

3. Bruce Pearl, but selling your soul to the devil is required.

4. Chris Holtmann...HAHA, just kidding.

5. Jeff Gard, Greg's younger brother but having a good run at UW-Platteville.  Could be the next Bo Ryan

So glad I have finished my coffee, or I would have spilled it on myself.  ;D ;D

Thanks. This is great!
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #560 on: March 23, 2024, 10:50:45 AM »
Tony is more likely to retire in the next 3 years than change jobs.

If they don't want a big stylistic change Moser would be the guy.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #561 on: March 23, 2024, 11:01:48 AM »

The Virginia fans blaming their academic standards as why Bennett can’t get transfers would help him transition to UW-Madison.

I don’t think he’d actually ever be a candidate, anyway.  The money people of Madison will want a radical system change.  Nate Oats would be way more likely than Bennett

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #562 on: March 23, 2024, 11:04:12 AM »

I don’t know why anyone would sign up for that putrid offense Bennett runs every year that produces multiple games in the 40’s.

He’s a good. but very flawed coach as evidenced by his one championship and first ever loss to a 16 seed. 

I used to think he’d be a home run hire for any program.  Not anymore. 

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #563 on: March 23, 2024, 11:05:30 AM »
And Storr is likely moving on for a better   NIL deal.  2 different colleges and 3 high schools in the past 5 years.  Dude likely packs lightly. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #564 on: March 23, 2024, 11:11:44 AM »
And Storr is likely moving on for a better   NIL deal.  2 different colleges and 3 high schools in the past 5 years.  Dude likely packs lightly.

First round pick in the NBA Draft, I’ve been told here.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #565 on: March 23, 2024, 11:21:30 AM »
I think when they move on from Gard, they will drop the Platteville Posse and move on to something completely different.

And no, it won't be Tony Bennett.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 11:23:09 AM by The Sultan of Semantics »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #566 on: March 23, 2024, 11:22:09 AM »
First round pick in the NBA Draft, I’ve been told here.

He might be.  Had an awful game but this is a very weak draft.  I could see him going in the 1st rd. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #567 on: March 23, 2024, 11:23:36 AM »
I wonder if Lamont Paris would be a candidate. He was an assistant there for 7 years and has spent most of his career in the Midwest.

JTJ3

• Team Captain
« Reply #568 on: March 23, 2024, 11:28:11 AM »
Storr is much more likely to go undrafted than be a first round pick this year.  He really doesnt do anything well other than create decent looks on offense when he is iso'd, and that is the last thing NBA teams care about when looking for guys who can actually impact a game.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #569 on: March 23, 2024, 11:28:17 AM »
I wonder if Lamont Paris would be a candidate. He was an assistant there for 7 years and has spent most of his career in the Midwest.

He just signed a huge renewal contract a week ago. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #570 on: March 23, 2024, 11:31:49 AM »
Storr is much more likely to go undrafted than be a first round pick this year.  He really doesnt do anything well other than create decent looks on offense when he is iso'd, and that is the last thing NBA teams care about when looking for guys who can actually impact a game.

I very well could be wrong but I disagree with you.  The NBA draft is just as much potential based as it is skill. 

• All American
« Reply #571 on: March 23, 2024, 11:32:02 AM »
But Gard isn't going anywhere now. A B10 final and #5 seed isn't fireable by any means.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #572 on: March 23, 2024, 11:33:52 AM »
He might be.  Had an awful game but this is a very weak draft.  I could see him going in the 1st rd.

It’s extremely rare for a known prospect to go from not in mock drafts at all going into the NCAA Tournament, have a terrible one and done performance in the Tourney, and end up a first round pick. He’s not going to be that.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #573 on: March 23, 2024, 11:34:52 AM »
But Gard isn't going anywhere now. A B10 final and #5 seed isn't fireable by any means.

Yup. That’s why Paris will be in play when they move on from Gard.

I hope Gard gets a lifetime contract.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #574 on: March 23, 2024, 11:36:43 AM »
He just signed a huge renewal contract a week ago.

Smart move, they were very overrated this season. Good time to cash in.

That being said, it no matter. Gard isn't getting fired this season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.