[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 NCAA Tournament Thread  (Read 87140 times)

MU82

• All American
2024 NCAA Tournament Thread
« on: March 19, 2024, 07:31:52 AM »
I'll get this started with the stat of the day (courtesy of Yahoo Sports):

There are two D1 basketball players (whose teams both happen to be in the NCAAT) with at least 175 rebounds, 175 assists and 50 steals this season. Their names? Braden Smith (Purdue) and Braeden Smith (Colgate).
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

HowardsWorld

• All American
Re: 2024 NCAA Tournament Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2024, 07:39:35 AM »
Heres a few upsets that I believe will happen. Which means mortgage everything you have and do the exact opposite of what I am writing.

Vermont over Duke

I've been the biggest Duke hater this year. I believe the ACC is the most overrated conference in all of basketball. This is the 3rd straight year Vermont has made the tournament and with a senior led team I believe they pull the upset.

New Mexico over Clemson

Similar to the above post about the ACC. I believe New Mexico is the strongest team out of the Mountain West and was severely under seeded as was the whole conference.

McNeese over Gonzaga

I have no evidence on why I feel this upset will happen other than I feel Gonzaga was a bubble team and the tournament committee rewarded them with a perfect 12v5 upset.

Oregon over South Carolina

I think Oregon athleticism will frustrate South Carolina and Oregon will win by double digits.

I also believe Samford could beat Kansas depending on who plays. If dick hunter is playing I believe Kansas was easily. If he is out I believe Samford will win the game.

I don't believe we will see any 1/2/3 seeds go down to 14/15/16 seeds this year. I think to many mid majors that weren't supposed to win their conference tournaments won and got the 14/15/16 seeds meaning there overall records are substantially weaker than in years past. If I had to pick one top 3 seed that I think has the greatest chance to be upset I would pick Baylor losing to Colgate.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 07:45:02 AM by HowardsWorld »

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2024, 08:13:51 AM »
Thanks for firing this thread up bright and early MU82.

I predict the Marquette Golden Eagles will win the NCAA Title.

Look out for that team, One Shining Moment.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2024, 08:15:45 AM »
The tournament is doomed.  You don't cross the Big East.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2024, 08:21:23 AM »
The tournament is doomed.  You don't cross the Big East.

A 3 team Big East final four would be Oso sweet. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Bahama

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2024, 08:22:25 AM »
Decided to watch "Survive and Advance" last night (the Jimmy V Documentary on NC State's Miracle run) and safe to say I am ready to run through a brick wall for Shaka.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2024, 08:43:04 AM »
Heres a few upsets that I believe will happen. Which means mortgage everything you have and do the exact opposite of what I am writing.

Vermont over Duke

I've been the biggest Duke hater this year. I believe the ACC is the most overrated conference in all of basketball. This is the 3rd straight year Vermont has made the tournament and with a senior led team I believe they pull the upset.

New Mexico over Clemson

Similar to the above post about the ACC. I believe New Mexico is the strongest team out of the Mountain West and was severely under seeded as was the whole conference.

McNeese over Gonzaga

I have no evidence on why I feel this upset will happen other than I feel Gonzaga was a bubble team and the tournament committee rewarded them with a perfect 12v5 upset.

Oregon over South Carolina

I think Oregon athleticism will frustrate South Carolina and Oregon will win by double digits.

I also believe Samford could beat Kansas depending on who plays. If dick hunter is playing I believe Kansas was easily. If he is out I believe Samford will win the game.

I don't believe we will see any 1/2/3 seeds go down to 14/15/16 seeds this year. I think to many mid majors that weren't supposed to win their conference tournaments won and got the 14/15/16 seeds meaning there overall records are substantially weaker than in years past. If I had to pick one top 3 seed that I think has the greatest chance to be upset I would pick Baylor losing to Colgate.

I've got Vermont over Duke also.  I went to a UVM game in late February as my daughter is a student.  They have a player who is a great 3 pt shooter.  He was like 6-7 from 3 in the game.  If he's open it seemed automatic.  I was surprised he missed the 1 shot. 

I have McNeese winning also.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2024, 09:00:54 AM »
Thanks for firing this thread up bright and early MU82.

I predict the Marquette Golden Eagles will win the NCAA Title.

Look out for that team, One Shining Moment.

I have filled out (and will only fill out) one bracket, and it has Marquette winning the national title. I also bet $100 on our team to do just that.

It was heartening (I think) to see that The Athletics' C.J. Moore, whom I think knows his stuff, pick Marquette to reach the Final Four. His other picks: Purdue, UConn and Alabama.

He does slip up and pick Purdue to beat us in the FF, and then to lose to UConn in the title game.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2024, 09:27:37 AM »
I'll get this started with the stat of the day (courtesy of Yahoo Sports):

There are two D1 basketball players (whose teams both happen to be in the NCAAT) with at least 175 rebounds, 175 assists and 50 steals this season. Their names? Braden Smith (Purdue) and Braeden Smith (Colgate).

I call and raise:

The University of Wisconsin is located in a city named after James Madison.  Their first round opponent is James Madison University.

If that wasn't enough, James Madison University's mascot is the Dukes.  They could have a potential second round matchup with, you guessed it, Duke.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2024, 09:56:54 AM »
I have filled out (and will only fill out) one bracket, and it has Marquette winning the national title. I also bet $100 on our team to do just that.

It was heartening (I think) to see that The Athletics' C.J. Moore, whom I think knows his stuff, pick Marquette to reach the Final Four. His other picks: Purdue, UConn and Alabama.

He does slip up and pick Purdue to beat us in the FF, and then to lose to UConn in the title game.

I'm glad to see someone who "knows his stuff" pick Marquette for the FF. There is no shortage of "experts" who are at best lukewarm about Marquette based upon our late season problems. Several do not bother to even mention Kolek's absence, as if that was a minor factor.  :D Classic case of not doing your homework.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2024, 09:59:22 AM »
I'm glad to see someone who "knows his stuff" pick Marquette for the FF. There is no shortage of "experts" who are at best lukewarm about Marquette based upon our late season problems. Several do not bother to even mention Kolek's absence, as if that was a minor factor.  :D Classic case of not doing your homework.

Part of it is that Shaka has gotten himself a reputation for early flights home.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2024, 10:05:21 AM »
And part of it is herd mentality.   The herd is on the Kentucky bandwagon this year.     Which is fine.   And nothing new.   We will see Kentucky in the sweet 16, assuming the Wildcats make it that far.   

Herd mentality also thinks Tennessee wins a rematch with Purdue.    That Arizona beats UNC.    That Auburn can beat UConn.    They want to make trendy picks and not just go chalk. No worries.    They have to fill time and get clicks.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2024, 11:26:17 AM »
Decided to watch "Survive and Advance" last night (the Jimmy V Documentary on NC State's Miracle run) and safe to say I am ready to run through a brick wall for Shaka.

What platform?

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2024, 11:37:47 AM »
I've got Vermont over Duke also.  I went to a UVM game in late February as my daughter is a student.  They have a player who is a great 3 pt shooter.  He was like 6-7 from 3 in the game.  If he's open it seemed automatic.  I was surprised he missed the 1 shot. 

I have McNeese winning also.

I think I’m missing on the Duke hate.

I’ve got a strange feeling that they eliminate Houston and hopefully meet Marquette for a trip to the Final 4…
Maybe it’s more of a hope than a feeling, but I’d say that team is pretty good.

No one is talking about them, no one is picking them, and they are loaded with talent. They’ve sort of slid under the radar as much as a top 15 team can, a lot like Marquette.

They has elite talent, good shooting, size, etc.
Biggest downside, by far IMO is that Scheyer, like his predecessor, literally plays 0 guys off the bench.
He gives those 5 starters damn near 35-40 minutes in big games.
It’s insane to not sure your bench at all imo, but that’s how he learned.
So, I’m not sold on him, but it’s hard to not be sold on the talent this year and beyond.

Anyway, they sort of remind me a bit of the Baylor squad that won me a ton of money several years back, both in brackets and with bets.
They were top 5 all season, then lost a few games late and no one picked them to win anything.
I picked em to win it all and took them in every game, one of my most fruitful tournaments betting/prediction wise.
Completely different teams, similar concept.

For good or bad they are in Marquettes bracket so I’ve got to stop them short before the FF, but I’m hopeful/confident they take out Bucky and Houston, as needed.
I like the idea of Marquette seeing a team that runs out 5 guys in the EE

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2024, 11:53:49 AM »
I think I’m missing on the Duke hate.

I’ve got a strange feeling that they eliminate Houston and hopefully meet Marquette for a trip to the Final 4…
Maybe it’s more of a hope than a feeling, but I’d say that team is pretty good.

No one is talking about them, no one is picking them, and they are loaded with talent. They’ve sort of slid under the radar as much as a top 15 team can, a lot like Marquette.

They has elite talent, good shooting, size, etc.
Biggest downside, by far IMO is that Scheyer, like his predecessor, literally plays 0 guys off the bench.
He gives those 5 starters damn near 35-40 minutes in big games.
It’s insane to not sure your bench at all imo, but that’s how he learned.
So, I’m not sold on him, but it’s hard to not be sold on the talent this year and beyond.

Anyway, they sort of remind me a bit of the Baylor squad that won me a ton of money several years back, both in brackets and with bets.
They were top 5 all season, then lost a few games late and no one picked them to win anything.
I picked em to win it all and took them in every game, one of my most fruitful tournaments betting/prediction wise.
Completely different teams, similar concept.

For good or bad they are in Marquettes bracket so I’ve got to stop them short before the FF, but I’m hopeful/confident they take out Bucky and Houston, as needed.
I like the idea of Marquette seeing a team that runs out 5 guys in the EE

Duke is definitely good enough to make the Elite 8.  Just not sure what to expect from them because of the UNC sweep of them and then the no-show at the ACC
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2024, 12:23:46 PM »
There seems to be a widely-held belief that Virginia didn't belong in the field and that the Mountain West teams were under-seeded. If only there was a way to test that theory -- say at about 9:10 tonight.

I really hope Colorado State crushes UVa.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2024, 12:27:53 PM »
There seems to be a widely-held belief that Virginia didn't belong in the field and that the Mountain West teams were under-seeded. If only there was a way to test that theory -- say at about 9:10 tonight.

I live about an hour from C'ville and usually support UVA bball because they're local, and especially around C'ville friends of course, even though I find it really boring bball. But tonight? Crush 'em!
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2024, 12:28:27 PM »

Virginia making a run to the Sweet 16 with a lot of “I told you so’s” feels sickeningly possible.

Colorado State is a fun team.  Niko Medved getting a showcase game is worth the viewing.  Hoping they kill Virginia

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2024, 01:00:38 PM »
And part of it is herd mentality.   The herd is on the Kentucky bandwagon this year.     Which is fine.   And nothing new.   We will see Kentucky in the sweet 16, assuming the Wildcats make it that far.   

Herd mentality also thinks Tennessee wins a rematch with Purdue.    That Arizona beats UNC.    That Auburn can beat UConn.    They want to make trendy picks and not just go chalk. No worries.    They have to fill time and get clicks.   

I welcome the idea of a S16 with Kentucky, partly because it likely means a great PnR highlight reel for Oso. But, again, one game at a time.

Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2024, 01:05:06 PM »
Virginia making a run to the Sweet 16 with a lot of “I told you so’s” feels sickeningly possible.

Colorado State is a fun team.  Niko Medved getting a showcase game is worth the viewing.  Hoping they kill Virginia
Virginia could win the NC and it wouldn't change my stance on them. They don't belong. Also, if Colorado State loses in the first game, I would not say that proves they shouldn't have been selected. If teams were selected based upon ability to win games and not overall resume, St. Johns would be in.

Bahama

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2024, 01:25:32 PM »
What platform?

It's on ESPN+ (I pay for the bundle, I don't recommend it lol)

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2024, 01:33:51 PM »

Time for Medved to come back to Minnesota!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2024, 02:26:26 PM »
I welcome the idea of a S16 with Kentucky, partly because it likely means a great PnR highlight reel for Oso. But, again, one game at a time.

I welcome the idea of a S16 against anybody, because it means we've made the S16. Once you get there, your opponents are supposed to be very good.

But yes, as you say, it could be a heck of a game for Oso and TK, and a high-scoring, entertaining game in general.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2024, 02:56:53 PM »
According to Matt Norlander, Shaka’s favorite musical artist is Tupac.

There goes a chunk of the fanbase.  SMDH

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2024, 03:12:37 PM »
According to Matt Norlander, Shaka’s favorite musical artist is Tupac.

There goes a chunk of the fanbase.  SMDH

Here's the link.

Some interesting stuff here for opposing fans. Taylor Swift...really? And Izzo...I  like the Jackson 5 as much as the next guy...but apparently not as much as Izzo. That's seriously your favorite music? When you're alone in your office late into the night, you're jamming to ABC?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.