[Today at 08:44:46 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by 4everwarriors
[Today at 08:25:23 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:04:21 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by oldwarrior81
[Today at 05:24:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UConn is good.  (Read 6396 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: UConn is good.
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2024, 12:27:51 PM »
I’m not sure there has ever been a lazy narrative on scoop

You're a lazy narrative.

BOOM!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2024, 12:47:06 PM »
Same sh*t talking that Kolek does.  Those are the players you love when they are on your team and hate when they are the opposition.

It’s all fun and games at the end of the day. No issue with opposing players talking smack to our players/fans. Adds a little juice to the games which is never a bad thing.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2024, 01:17:33 PM »
Sigh. Not usually. The math has been posted here many times.
you argue for the sake of arguing.  Contrarian Sultan, last night…MU makes their throws, different game late, alters strategy. That’s not even debatable. Missed throws are points not on the board, yes?

FreewaysBurnerAccount

• Walk-On
« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2024, 01:24:00 PM »
Just woke up on the corner of Vliet and 21st. I must have wet my pants during the nightmare i had last night where our beloved warriors lost to the COWARDICE Hurley... Oh wait.!!!  Where's a city bus when you need one ?!

Viper

• All American
« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2024, 01:36:31 PM »
Yep. The FT thing is a lazy narrative.

The biggest thing I want to see improvement on is the number of times MU gets to the line.
make the f’in free throws! Free points not on the board. If it’s a lazy narrative, why do teams bench their low % free throw shooters late?…because free throws matter.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2024, 01:38:01 PM »
make the f’in free throws! Free points not on the board. If it’s a lazy narrative, why do teams bench their low % free throw shooters late?…because free throws matter.

It’s why Shaka benches Oso at the end of games
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2024, 01:41:35 PM »
you argue for the sake of arguing.  Contrarian Sultan, last night…MU makes their throws, different game late, alters strategy. That’s not even debatable. Missed throws are points not on the board, yes?

It’s not contrarian. It’s math.

If Marquette would have shot FTs as good as the best team in the NCAA, they still would have lost. But if they had just their normal EFG night, they would have won easily.

FT percentage just isn’t that important in the grand scheme of things.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #107 on: March 07, 2024, 01:59:18 PM »
It’s not contrarian. It’s math.

If Marquette would have shot FTs as good as the best team in the NCAA, they still would have lost. But if they had just their normal EFG night, they would have won easily.

FT percentage just isn’t that important in the grand scheme of things.

Do you not acknowledge that if Marquette had made 2-3 more FTs and it was a one-possession game late that perhaps it changes how things go the last 30-60 seconds?

Of course there are other bigger reasons Marquette lost (2nd chance points, UConn shooting lights out), but shooting better from the line last night could have changed things. 

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2024, 02:18:08 PM »
Free throws are little things, just like a couple loose balls MU couldn’t come up with, or a couple untimely or silly turnovers, or a couple rebounds that they didn’t get.  MU didn’t do the little things to win last night.  Everything adds up playing against Uconn level teams, teams we all hope they beat in the tournament in a couple weeks.  Little things become much bigger when there is little room for error.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2024, 02:23:42 PM »
Free throws are little things, just like a couple loose balls MU couldn’t come up with, or a couple untimely or silly turnovers, or a couple rebounds that they didn’t get.  MU didn’t do the little things to win last night.  Everything adds up playing against Uconn level teams, teams we all hope they beat in the tournament in a couple weeks.  Little things become much bigger when there is little room for error.

That's exactly it. They're a factor but the kvetching about it from some people here is disproportionate to the importance.

• All American
« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2024, 02:29:05 PM »
Do you not acknowledge that if Marquette had made 2-3 more FTs and it was a one-possession game late that perhaps it changes how things go the last 30-60 seconds?

Of course there are other bigger reasons Marquette lost (2nd chance points, UConn shooting lights out), but shooting better from the line last night could have changed things. 

Its always better to make shots, be it free throws or field goals, than to miss them.

It is WAY more important to hit field goals than free throws - by a lot.  That's the whole point.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #111 on: March 07, 2024, 02:29:26 PM »
That's exactly it. They're a factor but the kvetching about it from some people here is disproportionate to the importance.

Yep. Bingo.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #112 on: March 07, 2024, 02:34:05 PM »

Yep, they seem to stand out more to people  because are directly seen as missed opportunities

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #113 on: March 07, 2024, 02:48:20 PM »
If nobody ever missed their FREE throws (as they should, damnit!) Marquette would've made up 2 extra points last night, and still lost.

But would've been a cover, so it's a win!

Or if they would've matched UCONN's free throw shooting % last night, MU would've made up 0.328 points in the game.  So didn't cover.  Loss.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #114 on: March 07, 2024, 02:50:29 PM »
Watching one's favorite team miss free throws, especially late in a game, is frustrating.

They're easy! They're free! I can make 'em in my driveway!

We had a great FT shooting team at Marquette in 2018-19. In the end, that got them bupkis.

Yes, I want every FT to go in. I also hate seeing our players miss bunnies. I also want us to grab more rebounds. I also don't want my PF to dribble around, go aimlessly into the lane, and lose the ball. Etc etc etc.

There are many little frustrations when watching a loss. (Or even wins sometimes.) FTs are easy to pinpoint because they look so easy and everybody's watching.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #115 on: March 07, 2024, 05:03:45 PM »
It is frustrating when your team is making  free throws at a lower percentage than the opponent is making threes.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #116 on: March 07, 2024, 05:05:10 PM »
It is frustrating when your team is making  free throws at a lower percentage than the opponent is making threes.

That would've been frustrating.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #117 on: March 07, 2024, 09:32:58 PM »
Viper is still lost
Goal is National Championship

gsmooth

• Walk-On
« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2024, 08:02:28 AM »
Let's be honest.......UCONN is just flat out better and more balanced.  The outcome could have just as easily been exactly the same even if the creator was 100% healthy and played 37 min.  They put up a decent effort but it's difficult to beat any team that shoots 50% or better from 3PT range, let alone a team like UCONN which is equally good in every other aspect of the game.   There are going to be bumps in the road.  Better to hit them now than 3 weeks from now.   Onward.....

I am a big Husky Fan, but if Kolek was healthy it's hard to say if UConn would've won even though I think UConn is a better team. Sure they put that 28 pt beatdown on your Marquette team in Hartford in a clinical fashion, but UConn isn't close to being that much better than Marquette. The Golden Eagles are at their best when they are harassing the opposing offenses with their deflections and in your face defense. An example of this is your team's game against Kansas in the Maui Invitational where Kansas was completely rattled and shook. Also, their pick and roll game with Kolek and Iguadharo and the many options they have from that are hard to defend.

The major weakness of Marquette however is their defensive rebounding which has been the case for the last 3 years. And offensive rebounding is where UConn excels so they can exploit this weakness.

Marquette can absolutely make the Final Four this year with the proper draw and with a healthy Kolek. Keep him out of the Big East Tournament if necessary to get his oblique back in form because the manner in which he throws those whip around passes he turns his upper body isn't going to help heal the oblique.

Anyways, good luck the rest of the way. i have always liked respected Marquette and will be pulling for you guys in the NCAAT as long as it doesn't hurt UConn in any way.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #119 on: March 09, 2024, 08:35:24 AM »
I am a big Husky Fan, but if Kolek was healthy it's hard to say if UConn would've won even though I think UConn is a better team. Sure they put that 28 pt beatdown on your Marquette team in Hartford in a clinical fashion, but UConn isn't close to being that much better than Marquette. The Golden Eagles are at their best when they are harassing the opposing offenses with their deflections and in your face defense. An example of this is your team's game against Kansas in the Maui Invitational where Kansas was completely rattled and shook. Also, their pick and roll game with Kolek and Iguadharo and the many options they have from that are hard to defend.

The major weakness of Marquette however is their defensive rebounding which has been the case for the last 3 years. And offensive rebounding is where UConn excels so they can exploit this weakness.

Marquette can absolutely make the Final Four this year with the proper draw and with a healthy Kolek. Keep him out of the Big East Tournament if necessary to get his oblique back in form because the manner in which he throws those whip around passes he turns his upper body isn't going to help heal the oblique.

Anyways, good luck the rest of the way. i have always liked respected Marquette and will be pulling for you guys in the NCAAT as long as it doesn't hurt UConn in any way.

Thank you for your kind words. As much as I hate to admit it, Coach Hurley has done an incredible job with UConn. You guys are the real deal.

Good luck to you guys as well. Hope we see you with a healthy Tyler Kolek down the road in Phoenix.,

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #120 on: March 09, 2024, 08:55:34 AM »

Nice post. Your second, short paragraph correctly points out our rebounding vulnerability, but as has been discussed at length here, it's comes with Shaka's system (for lack of a better explanation). More on point is UCONN's strength in rebounding, which leads to an expression that is a bit of a catch-all-"bad matchup".
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #121 on: March 09, 2024, 08:59:30 AM »
Why UConn men's basketball team had extended stay in Milwaukee after beating Marquette: 'Not good'
By David Borges,
Staff writer
March 8, 2024

https://www.ctinsider.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/article/marquette-milwaukee-travel-huskies-18751658.php

A funny thing happened to the UConn men's basketball team on its trip home from Milwaukee after beating Marquette on Wednesday night.

The Huskies didn't arrive back home until about 11 p.m. on Thursday, with an unscheduled visit to Chicago and practice at the University of Milwaukee along the way.

"Almost 24 hours," coach Dan Hurley said on Friday evening. "Not good."

After Wednesday night's 74-67 win over Marquette at Fiserv Forum, the Huskies boarded a bus for nearby General Mitchell Airport and figured they'd be back on campus for Thursday morning classes. However, before UConn boarded the plane, a mechanical issue forced the flight to be canceled, and the Huskies returned to their downtown Milwaukee Mariott hotel and rescheduled a flight for 12:30 p.m. on Thursday.

"It's understandable," Hurley said. "But what transpired the next day was not good and shouldn't happen to a major sports organization. Late in the year, especially, I'm really disappointed with (the charter company's) efforts for us."

Indeed, upon UConn's return to the airport, the team learned that this flight had to be canceled, as well. So, the Huskies booked a practice at the University of Milwaukee that afternoon and flew home afterwards — from Chicago, about 90 minutes up the road.

"We tried to turn lemons into lemonade to get some of the prep work done, preparing for Providence," Hurley said. "The day-after game, on-court prep work we were able to get done, courtesy of the fine people at Marriott and at the University of Milwaukee-Wisconsin. Great thanks to them."

"The charter company didn't do as well for us as Marriott and the University of Milwaukee-Wisconsin did."

UConn practiced at the Werth Family Champions Center on Friday afternoon and bussed to Providence in the evening for Saturday's regular-season finale at 8 p.m. against the Friars.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #122 on: March 09, 2024, 09:03:59 AM »
Why UConn men's basketball team had extended stay in Milwaukee after beating Marquette: 'Not good'
By David Borges,
Staff writer
March 8, 2024

https://www.ctinsider.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/article/marquette-milwaukee-travel-huskies-18751658.php

A funny thing happened to the UConn men's basketball team on its trip home from Milwaukee after beating Marquette on Wednesday night.

The Huskies didn't arrive back home until about 11 p.m. on Thursday, with an unscheduled visit to Chicago and practice at the University of Milwaukee along the way.

"Almost 24 hours," coach Dan Hurley said on Friday evening. "Not good."

After Wednesday night's 74-67 win over Marquette at Fiserv Forum, the Huskies boarded a bus for nearby General Mitchell Airport and figured they'd be back on campus for Thursday morning classes. However, before UConn boarded the plane, a mechanical issue forced the flight to be canceled, and the Huskies returned to their downtown Milwaukee Mariott hotel and rescheduled a flight for 12:30 p.m. on Thursday.

"It's understandable," Hurley said. "But what transpired the next day was not good and shouldn't happen to a major sports organization. Late in the year, especially, I'm really disappointed with (the charter company's) efforts for us."

Indeed, upon UConn's return to the airport, the team learned that this flight had to be canceled, as well. So, the Huskies booked a practice at the University of Milwaukee that afternoon and flew home afterwards — from Chicago, about 90 minutes up the road.

"We tried to turn lemons into lemonade to get some of the prep work done, preparing for Providence," Hurley said. "The day-after game, on-court prep work we were able to get done, courtesy of the fine people at Marriott and at the University of Milwaukee-Wisconsin. Great thanks to them."

"The charter company didn't do as well for us as Marriott and the University of Milwaukee-Wisconsin did."

UConn practiced at the Werth Family Champions Center on Friday afternoon and bussed to Providence in the evening for Saturday's regular-season finale at 8 p.m. against the Friars.

My heart pours out to them. Hope they have counselors readily available as they pick up the pieces. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #123 on: March 09, 2024, 10:29:43 AM »

This feels like if you asked ChatGPT to write a few paragraphs on why Marquette is good from a UConn fan perspective

gsmooth

• Walk-On
« Reply #124 on: March 09, 2024, 11:02:25 AM »
This feels like if you asked ChatGPT to write a few paragraphs on why Marquette is good from a UConn fan perspective

LOL, I can assure you I am human and not an OpenAI.

feedback