[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Dartmouth Basketball Team votes 13-2 to join Union  (Read 708 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Dartmouth Basketball Team votes 13-2 to join Union
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 11:22:05 AM »
What's already been an interesting time for college athletes (and college athletics) just got even more interesting.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2024, 12:27:27 PM »
So .. being in the player's union, can you file a grievance for not getting enough playing time?  Or for being made to run laps?   

If you were late for practice and got suspended, would you get a union rep to litigate your case?

If you fouled out of a game, would you have rights against referees who are impeding your performance?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2024, 12:53:31 PM »
So .. being in the player's union, can you file a grievance for not getting enough playing time?  Or for being made to run laps?   

If you were late for practice and got suspended, would you get a union rep to litigate your case?

If you fouled out of a game, would you have rights against referees who are impeding your performance?

Pretty sure you're being facetious, but I'll throw out an answer anyway ...

As is the case with union members of pro sports leagues, rights will have been collectively bargained.

And, as is the case with the NBA and WNBA contracts, I seriously doubt things such as playing time, having to run gassers, and foul calls will have been part of a collective-bargaining agreement.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2024, 01:29:46 PM »
Pretty sure you're being facetious, but I'll throw out an answer anyway ...

As is the case with union members of pro sports leagues, rights will have been collectively bargained.

And, as is the case with the NBA and WNBA contracts, I seriously doubt things such as playing time, having to run gassers, and foul calls will have been part of a collective-bargaining agreement.
It was a joke.

But they can and will strike. It will be interesting is the players/union lawyers go after general funds and endowments for compensation.
Seems doubtful they would be successful, but the precedent in other pro sports are a % of all the entities revenues. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 01:35:19 PM by WhiteTrash »

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2024, 02:46:50 PM »
I guess the players would have to follow these rules.

https://policies.dartmouth.edu/policy/employee-educational-assistance

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2024, 03:37:13 PM »
It was a joke.

But they can and will strike. It will be interesting is the players/union lawyers go after general funds and endowments for compensation.
Seems doubtful they would be successful, but the precedent in other pro sports are a % of all the entities revenues.

If they succeed at forming a union and strike, that is their right. It wouldn't bother me at all.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2024, 03:43:34 PM »
It will be interesting is the players/union lawyers go after general funds and endowments for compensation.

Sure, but that's the result of collective bargaining and can be directly tied to the players' labor.
Good luck arguing that Dartmouth's endowment is a result of the basketball team's efforts.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2024, 03:46:09 PM »
lol. Endowments can’t be “gone after” by unions that represent other employees at colleges and universities. There are laws that govern these things you know.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2024, 08:48:54 PM »
Sure, but that's the result of collective bargaining and can be directly tied to the players' labor.
Good luck arguing that Dartmouth's endowment is a result of the basketball team's efforts.
I don't disagree. How about at Kansas or Kentucky or Arizona or Alabama?

I gotta believe the endowments are safe. As I question above, how about the general, tuition generated funds?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 08:55:55 PM by WhiteTrash »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2024, 09:04:24 PM »
I don't disagree. How about at Kansas or Kentucky or Arizona or Alabama?

I gotta believe the endowments are safe. As I question above, how about the general, tuition generated funds?

Doesn't the phrase "tuition-generating  funds" answer your question?

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2024, 09:14:37 PM »
Doesn't the phrase "tuition-generating  funds" answer your question?
Not really. I think a good attorney may be able to argue some portion of the tuition is generated as a result of athletics or the success of athletics. There are plenty of reports every year about how applications rise and gifts increase as a result of athletic success.

Guys, I'm not suggesting the players will milk the school dry, simply asking thoughts on how much can the players get? I know the lawyers will be asking for everything, but what would be realistic?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2024, 09:19:37 PM »
Are scholarships taxable?

There would certainly be tax implications if the athletes are deemed to be employees. Would they also be responsible for Social Security taxes, too?

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2024, 09:28:26 PM »
Are scholarships taxable?

There would certainly be tax implications if the athletes are deemed to be employees. Would they also be responsible for Social Security taxes, too?
I don't think they are, nor should they be.

But, you are going to have a lot of colleges going on the record in court that they are, in fact, compensation. That will be fun to put that toothpaste back in the tube.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2024, 07:25:33 AM »
It’s Dartmouth.  🙄

Does anyone take them seriously?

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2024, 09:02:13 AM »
It’s Dartmouth.  🙄

I think everyone is making the assumption that this will have spill over effect to all college sports.

If it does not, your take is correct.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2024, 10:16:40 AM »
It’s Dartmouth.  🙄

Yep, a bunch of entitled mediocre (at best) basketball players getting a free Ivy League education and contacts for future earnings. Why do they want to unionize? Better working conditions?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2024, 11:07:00 AM »
Yep, a bunch of entitled mediocre (at best) basketball players getting a free Ivy League education and contacts for future earnings. Why do they want to unionize? Better working conditions?
Just to note, Ivies don't give sports scholarships.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2024, 11:38:41 AM »
Not really. I think a good attorney may be able to argue some portion of the tuition is generated as a result of athletics or the success of athletics. There are plenty of reports every year about how applications rise and gifts increase as a result of athletic success.

Good luck with that, I guess.
Will the players then be docked pay if applications decline?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2024, 11:40:35 AM »
Just to note, Ivies don't give sports scholarships.
wink, wink- I know quite a few who have played sports at Ivies who would not have been admitted if not for their athletic ability.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2024, 11:42:53 AM »
wink, wink- I know quite a few who have played sports at Ivies who would not have been admitted if not for their athletic ability.

Sure, but being admitted and being given an athletic scholarship are not the same.
Of course, there are other forms of financial aid they can (and do) offer athletes. But technically speaking, they're not athletic scholarships.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2024, 11:43:50 AM »

Luckily, Ivy League schools won’t exist in a few years
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2024, 11:43:56 AM »
Good luck with that, I guess.
Will the players then be docked pay if applications decline?
Will the players be docked if revenues decline? I'd say yes. That's what would happen in the NFL. The salary cap is adjusted based upon revenues.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2024, 11:46:12 AM »
Will the players be docked if revenues decline? I'd say yes. That's what would happen in the NFL. The salary cap is adjusted based upon revenues.

Now there's a salary cap? One in which the institutions will include tuition as an athletic department revenue?
Methinks you're trolling us.

feedback