Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Racehorse Basketball  (Read 6529 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Racehorse Basketball
« on: February 23, 2008, 08:32:27 PM »
Man, watching the Memphis vs. Tenn. game makes the NBA look like they're playing in slow motion.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Daniel

• All American
Re: Racehorse Basketball
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 08:41:06 PM »
unreal number of 3s in the beginning my Memphis - whew.  And yeah - this is playing in fast forward lol

Pardner

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 08:58:12 PM »
LMAO at the Erin Andrews' shudder as the "Sweaty One" tried to bear hug her.  Could you be any less obvious Bruce?

4everwarriors

• All American
Bruce May Be Quite The Lady's Man
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 09:12:38 PM »
As discussed and shown here previously, Pearl has a new girlfriend (circa 1983) who makes EA look like baby poop. But, he's one hell of a coach whose players love his style of ball.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 09:14:47 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Coobeys Oil Depot

Re: Bruce May Be Quite The Lady's Man
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 09:27:26 PM »
As discussed and shown here previously, Pearl has a new girlfriend (circa 1983) who makes EA look like baby poop. But, he's one hell of a coach whose players love his style of ball.

They don't make you take character exams before you start coaching. Lucky for Pearl.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 09:58:37 PM »
i don't have an exact number, but Tennessee has more turnovers than a bakery in this game. i guess that happens with a fast pace, but its really preventing them from pulling away, just like Memphis' inability to make ft's is doing the same.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 10:13:16 PM »
I missed most of this game but Memphis has a huge problem with free throw shooting that will be their demise come tourny time.

4everwarriors

• All American
Can Someone Explain...
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 10:31:05 PM »
these so called "character issues" to me and please be specific. Yeah, I know he turned in a cheater back in the day. I don't have a problem with that, do you?
From where I sit, I see a superb coach who took an impossible job where so many others have failed and in his third season sits at #1.
His arena is sold out, can recruit with the big boys, plays a style of ball that today's athlete loves, is a marketing dream come true, and has been a winner everywhere he has coached. That's quite a resume'.

L'Chaim, Bruce. This Bud's for you.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 10:36:40 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Mayor McCheese

• All American
Re: Can Someone Explain...
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 10:58:36 PM »
these so called "character issues" to me and please be specific. Yeah, I know he turned in a cheater back in the day. I don't have a problem with that, do you?
From where I sit, I see a superb coach who took an impossible job where so many others have failed and in his third season sits at #1.
His arena is sold out, can recruit with the big boys, plays a style of ball that today's athlete loves, is a marketing dream come true, and has been a winner everywhere he has coached. That's quite a resume'.

In my eyes, Bruce Pearl is the best program builder in the country, and looks like he can keep the intensity
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 11:11:41 PM »

As mentioned above, Pearl grabbing EA was very classless.  How'd ya like to be his daughter watching that.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 06:30:55 AM »
If you were a highly ranked recruit, how could you not look at going to either of these schools.  Wow, what a tempo, up and down and gunning.  Louisville sort of the same.

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 07:29:51 AM »
LMAO at the Erin Andrews' shudder as the "Sweaty One" tried to bear hug her.  Could you be any less obvious Bruce?

I thought she looked very violated by this.  Not Namath Culver - but pretty bad.  I really felt sorry for her.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 11:00:03 AM »

It's fine to turn in a cheater. Not so sure it's scrupulous to illegally record a 17 year-old kid and ask him leading questions so you can nail one of your closest rivals. You would have a field day if Crean did this with Jared Swopshire.

Certainly the Erin Andrews grab was a little much for the man on national television but more importantly I like how his wife stuck with him through his days at Southern Indiana and Wisconsin-Milwaukee only to deal with infidelity and finally a divorce process less then 18 months after he arrived in Knoxville. And then have photos of him cavorting with women half his age around town before the divorce is even finalized. To each their own but this discussion is about class and character and both of those take a hit in this matter.

You can throw in his behavior at high school basketball games when he observes recruits only to get tossed out of the gym because he's obnoxious and also toss in his behavior in the early days of the Tyler Smith brouhaha.

Great basketball coach. Not so great character.

4everwarriors

• All American
In My Opinion...
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 11:35:11 AM »
the play antics with EA was unnecessary. However, he's a fun loving impulsive guy coaching in the most important game of his life to date against their intrastate rival, so give him some credit. It wasn't like he was hitting on Holly Rowe.
As a point of clarification, don't get me wrong. Divorce is hell, especially for the kids. However, we don't know, and don't need to know, all the significant facts surrounding Bruce and Kim's marriage. Suffice it to say, being married to any highly visible and successful person can be a challenge. BTW, I'll bet you a tall, cool one that they didn't have a pre-nup and Bruce will be paying handsomely to da Mrs.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 05:59:42 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: In My Opinion...
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 11:47:17 AM »
the play antics with EA was unnecessary. However, he's a fun loving impulsive guy coaching the in the most important game of his life to date and give him some credit. It wasn't like he was hitting on Holly Rowe.
As a point of clarification, don't get me wrong. Divorce is hell, especially for the kids. However, we don't know, and don't need to know, all the significant facts surrounding Bruce and Kim's marriage. Suffice it to say, being married to any highly visible and successful person can be a challenge. BTW, I'll bet you a tall, cool one that they didn't have a pre-nup and Bruce will be paying handsomely to da Mrs.

This is a nice, level headed post.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I wanted to point out that I hope some of the critics of our own coach can approach Crean in the same manner that you have approached Pearl when it comes to his professional and personal life.

There is nothing wrong with withholding judgment because we don't know all of the facts and details (on any given subject).

Coobeys Oil Depot

Re: In My Opinion...
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2008, 01:42:04 PM »
the play antics with EA was unnecessary. However, he's a fun loving impulsive guy coaching the in the most important game of his life to date and give him some credit. It wasn't like he was hitting on Holly Rowe.

It was interesting to see how you got specifics as you asked and paddled it all away with a flip line about how there wasn't a pre-nup.

4everwarriors

• All American
Coobey Man,...
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2008, 03:45:57 PM »
Truth is not you nor any one else has given me reasons why Bruce is a shady character and you'd be embarassed to have him coach the Warriors. Put him in a line up with Sampson and see if he gets picked out.
Bottom line, while it will never happen, I'd be ecstatic if he was our next coach.

"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Coobeys Oil Depot

Re: Coobey Man,...
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2008, 04:47:24 PM »
Truth is not you nor any one else has given me reasons why Bruce is a shady character and you'd be embarassed to have him coach the Warriors. Put him in a line up with Sampson and see if he gets picked out.
Bottom line, while it will never happen, I'd be ecstatic if he was our next coach.

This thread was about his character issues, not about him being shady. That's a convenient insert on your part. Being an obnoxious pretty boy at a high school game doesn't show character. Illegally recording a 17 year-old to punish your rivals doesn't show character. Adultery does not show character. Being photographed with women half your age so your son can see it doesn't show character. Even some Panthers/Badgers fans who were big, big Bruce Pearl fans admit that his type of "recruiting" fits in the SEC.

You asked for it. I supplied it. And yet you still act flip. My guess is you just bring up Pearl because you like it that he needled the coach you don't want at Marquette. That's totally fine. Just be man enough not to beat around the bush.

4everwarriors

• All American
Ah, Wrong Again
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2008, 05:15:06 PM »
I wasn't going to post it, but you've forced the issue. I know Bruce personally. While not a close friend at all, I've played golf with him, our sons have golfed together, have many mutual friends, and even shared dinner. He knows my loyalty to MU. I wouldn't kid you, the UWM, MU thing has come up in conversation as has my question of him if the Warriors job ever piqued his interest?
I can say with 100% truthfulness, that I have never heard one negative comment about Tom Crean from Bruce Pearl. On the contrary, Bruce has always been very respectful and positive about the job Tom is doing. You may recall, Crean even acknowledged getting a congratulatory message from Pearl after beating Pitt  on the road last season.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

augoman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2008, 05:18:24 PM »
Whoa!  back up a little..., Coobey's, did you really refer to Bruce Pearl as "pretty"?

IAmMarquette

• All American
Re: Ah, Wrong Again
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2008, 05:45:03 PM »
I wasn't going to post it, but you've forced the issue. I know Bruce personally. While not a close friend at all, I've played golf with him, our sons have golfed together, have many mutual friends, and even shared dinner. He knows my loyalty to MU. I wouldn't kid you, the UWM, MU thing has come up in conversation as has my question of him if the Warriors job ever piqued his interest?
I can say with 100% truthfulness, that I have never heard one negative comment about Tom Crean from Bruce Pearl. On the contrary, Bruce has always been very respectful and positive about the job Tom is doing. You may recall, Crean even acknowledged getting a congratulatory message from Pearl after beating Pitt  on the road last season.

Interesting insight, 4ever. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems as though Pearl & Crean have a great deal of mutual respect for one another. Seems as though administrative issues/fan rivalry may have given the impression that the two of them really dislike one another.

4everwarriors

• All American
Iam...
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2008, 05:52:18 PM »
I believe you are essentially right. And, while I have never spoken to Crean, I get the impression that their mutual respect is not just a coach's fraternity thing when discussing this topic with Pearl. As an aside, Bruce had a Dreamsickle orange golf bag that he said he found in the athletic office @ UT and was told it had belonged to KO. I told him to get rid of it 'cus it obviously had some bad MU mojo.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mviale

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2008, 06:08:26 PM »
wow - 4ever - showing some humanity.  Do you think Crean is a good coach?
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

4everwarriors

• All American
The Rat Will Take The Bait,...
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2008, 06:23:38 PM »
mviale and this thread wil continue 4ever.
To answer your question, yes I think Crean is a good coach. Not a great coach, but good. I also think he can only take a program so far. Kinda like George Karl of the NBA. If you're happy and content with that, great, then Crean's your guy.
If not, and you aspire to compete yearly at the next level in college basketball, then the program needs someone else. To me, Tom doesn't bring all the pieces to the table. And, yes, I not thrilled just to make the Tournament. Basketball is too great a part of the entire Marquette experience to just settle for the field of 64.
One of the problems on this forum is so many posters endured the Dukiet and Deane eras. Therefore, Crean is looked on as a savior. They haven't experienced true basketball nirvana.
I've always said Crean will be a better coach at his next job. He's been forced to learned on the job here, and has been slow at that.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 06:35:43 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Just Curious
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2008, 06:32:56 PM »

To me, Tom doesn't bring all the pieces to the table.

What pieces does he not have?  I experienced '77.  I also see NCAA hoops as a whole different situation in '08 than in the mid seventies.  I won't waste your time by reciting the way the product has changed because I know you know.  So what does TC not have that you think he should? 
Ludum habemus.