Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Racehorse Basketball  (Read 6530 times)

IAmMarquette

• All American
Re: Racehorse Basketball
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2008, 06:34:30 PM »
Also as an aside, after watching Pearl's post-game interview with EA last night, I got the impression that he and TC are probably more alike--at least in terms of on-air persona--than those who dislike Pearl are willing to admit.

I'll admit that, in the past, I wasn't the biggest fan of the guy myself, probably because of the MU-UWM situation. I've now turned to more Pearl tolerance than Pearl antagonism.

Yet another aside, I'm a little surprised MUVOL06 hasn't been around lately, especially after last night's (impressive) win   :D

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2008, 06:46:46 PM »
I think he's an above average recruiter, but not a great recruiter. Until he goes nose to nose with the elite programs and makes a dent, this can't be argued. His players develop but maybe not to their full extent. Some of the asst. coaching turnover may be part of this problem. Obviously, he has to bring frontcourt players in who can compete in the Big East.
Above all, after 9 seasons I still don't know how to define his coaching philosophy. Given all the resources the University has afforded him, I stll get the impression Tom is searching for a coaching identity.
Bottom line for me is that he talks so much and says nothing that I have a difficult time believing in him.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2008, 07:09:11 PM »
I think he's an above average recruiter, but not a great recruiter. Until he goes nose to nose with the elite programs and makes a dent, this can't be argued. His players develop but maybe not to their full extent. Some of the asst. coaching turnover may be part of this problem. Obviously, he has to bring frontcourt players in who can compete in the Big East.
Above all, after 9 seasons I still don't know how to define his coaching philosophy. Given all the resources the University has afforded him, I stll get the impression Tom is searching for a coaching identity.
Bottom line for me is that he talks so much and says nothing that I have a difficult time believing in him.

I can respect your opinion, and your honesty here. Obviously everybody is entitled to a well thought out opinion.

I just want to say that Crean has already clearly defined himself as the second most successful coach in MU history.

I know Hank had some nice years after Al left, but the program was on the downswing once Hank took over. And, all of the KO lovers out there just need to remember that he bailed at the first opportunity (after some limited success) because he clearly didn't think MU was the end destination for him. Had he stayed, he'd have gone through the same program building growing pains that Crean has gone through.

I don't think Crean is Jesus, but he's clearly done a very, very good job and has accomplished a lot in the last 10 years. If he gets the continued support of the university, students, and alumni, imagine what he could do in the next 10!

He's not perfect, but it's hard for me to be too critical of the guy given how far the program has come in 10 years.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2008, 07:49:53 PM »
4ever -  enjoy the ride this year, even though you enjoy some sport school coach like pearl - he could not achieve what crean has done at a small liberal arts school without a football team.

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

4everwarriors

• All American
Where Does Small...
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2008, 08:07:24 PM »
liberal arts school factor into the equation? Neither Crean nor Pearl coach at Williams, Amherst, Colby, Swartmore, Haverford, Carleton, Middlebury, or the like. Please don't confuse Marquette University with any of those.
Come to think of it, UWM hasn't had football since I was a young child and if my memory serves me correctly, Bruce had pretty good success there. BTW, Tennessee has a dynamite recruiting class coming in including Woolridge who is acquintated with Tom.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 08:10:35 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2008, 09:34:02 PM »
Whoa!  back up a little..., Coobey's, did you really refer to Bruce Pearl as "pretty"?

Our software automatically detects some of the more, um, PG13 words in the English language and replaces them with more family friendly phrases.  "Pretty boy" is not likely the word Coobey typed...

Coobeys Oil Depot

Re: Ah, Wrong Again
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2008, 11:56:02 AM »
I wasn't going to post it, but you've forced the issue. I know Bruce personally. While not a close friend at all, I've played golf with him, our sons have golfed together, have many mutual friends, and even shared dinner. He knows my loyalty to MU. I wouldn't kid you, the UWM, MU thing has come up in conversation as has my question of him if the Warriors job ever piqued his interest?
I can say with 100% truthfulness, that I have never heard one negative comment about Tom Crean from Bruce Pearl. On the contrary, Bruce has always been very respectful and positive about the job Tom is doing. You may recall, Crean even acknowledged getting a congratulatory message from Pearl after beating Pitt  on the road last season.

It was clear you knew Pearl. You dropped his wife's name. It makes your continued naivity childish.

You gloss over nearly everything I wrote about Pearl. Nothing from you about the character issues I brought up: the illegal recordings; being kicked out of high school games; infidelity. In regards to Crean, all I wrote was that Pearl needled him. Were you paying attention at all during the beginning of the UWM/MU fiasco as it played out in the media? Pearl jabbed Crean and MU. I never wrote anything about Pearl disliking Crean personally or saying a demeaning word about him during your friendly golf games.

It's great you know Pearl. It's great you were able to share with him. But when you ask for specifics on character issues and get them don't ignore what I wrote and add a pointless story about knocking your balls around with him.

You checked me on providing specifics. I checked you back with those specifics. To these points, you've remained quiet and rather name dropped to re-focus the conversation.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2008, 12:02:21 PM »
I actually think Pearl has a little Al McGuire type showmanship in him. I detest what he did to the Illini, but he's got personality, that's for sure.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2008, 02:56:36 PM »
I actually think Pearl has a little Al McGuire type showmanship in him. I detest what he did to the Illini, but he's got personality, that's for sure.

The question is, would you take him over Crean?  And if so why is showmanship different than Crean's?  If anything I would argue that Pearl is much more in your face than Crean about the program.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2008, 04:22:44 PM »
If you think Crean and Pearl have similar personalities then there is something drastically wrong with you.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2008, 05:15:09 PM »
Pearl would run into academic problems at MU - couldnt survive.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2008, 06:23:49 PM »
If you think Crean and Pearl have similar personalities then there is something drastically wrong with you.

There is something drastically wrong with your reading comprehension if you picked up the word personality in my statement.  I asked why you would prefer Pearl's showmanship over Crean's?  You seem to hate Crean's selling of the program and if anything Pearl would be more in your face and wouldn't run as ethically tight ship as Crean does.  So showmanship....why would you take Pearl over Crean?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."