Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kolek Update  (Read 83052 times)

Shooter McGavin

• All American
Re: Kolek Update
« Reply #750 on: March 16, 2024, 03:06:20 PM »
No one's arguing that. But,  and i know this is crazy, but you don't actually have to choose. You can do both

100%.  This should always be the thought process.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #751 on: March 16, 2024, 03:10:10 PM »
So what you're telling us is that you don't know the difference between aches and pains and bumps and bruises sustained in the normal course of pretty much every athletic contest in which contact is involved ... and an actual injury that was bad enough to cause a player to miss 5 games.

And, Dr. Boy, you have absolutely no idea whatsoever if "5 more days of rest isn’t going to greatly reduce the risk of reinjury." None.

Although I'm not sure how "substantial" the risk is on a scale of 1-10, your overall point is correct IMHO. Unless we dismiss Shaka's statement as a lie at worst or as gamesmanship at best, the decision on when Kolek plays next is all part of a risk/reward calculus.

From the moment Shaka and his players walked out of the arena following the loss to Michigan State, they were laser-focused on winning the 2023-24 national championship. It doesn't mean they don't want to win the BET. Of course they do. But they have spoken pretty often about this season being about something bigger.

Bottom line: I'll be surprised if TK plays tonight, and I wouldn't blame Shaka and the other decision-makers one iota for that risk/reward call.

Looking forward to winning tonight without him, and winning the next 6 games with him!

And you are saying you don’t get that crap can happen at any point to any player. People get hurt and can get hurt on any play so if you are in the hold a healthy player back camp then you should do that with every one of them.

His playing or not has nothing to do with Risk/reward. He hasn’t been medically cleared which means he hasn’t been able to show he can maintain stability or lack of pain statically or throughout his range of motion.

If they have cleared or will clear him to play indicates the injury has healed enough that there is stability and no pain    throughout his range of motion. Also likely presents a “clean MRI”. None of that means he won’t reinjury himself and  in other sports it is common for players to do that in same year or the next year.    If they clear him to play, he can play and 5 days isn’t going to make him any less susceptible to reinjury. The five days may help him get medically cleared but it is statistically irrelevant to reinjury.

Just because that goes over your head doesn’t mean I need to be a Dr.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #752 on: March 16, 2024, 03:10:46 PM »
Not sure if anyone was watching the CBS break between B99 games, but Dan Gavitt (SVP NCAA hoops) said Marquette and Kansas have kept in communication with the committee and assured them all 3 injured players would be playing next week

If course no insight on a few hours from now.  But  I'd put money on no kolek  ;)

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #753 on: March 16, 2024, 03:11:34 PM »
Not sure if anyone was watching the CBS break between B99 games, but Dan Gavitt (SVP NCAA hoops) said Marquette and Kansas have kept in communication with the committee and assured them all 3 injured players would be playing next week

If course no insight on a few hours from now.  But  I'd put money on no kolek  ;)

Gavitt (mind) Games.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #754 on: March 16, 2024, 03:15:33 PM »

Of course they would say that. If it turns out they were being deceptive what are they going to do, revoke their bid?

I assume Kolek will not play tonight.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #755 on: March 16, 2024, 03:57:54 PM »

If you are going technical he actually said “without restrictions”. So he could have some of those today…
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 04:00:59 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #756 on: March 16, 2024, 04:21:02 PM »
I trust the Marquette dentists, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #757 on: March 16, 2024, 04:25:36 PM »
I trust the Marquette dentists, hey?

Hard no

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #758 on: March 16, 2024, 04:31:03 PM »
Kolek out

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #759 on: March 16, 2024, 04:33:04 PM »
Kolek out

Thanks for the info. No surprise to me.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #760 on: March 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM »
Kolek out
Are you just sitting there constantly refreshing twitter to be first or what damn

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #761 on: March 16, 2024, 04:38:02 PM »
Kolek out
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #762 on: March 16, 2024, 04:42:20 PM »
It's time for Jop to put up a 30 piece with 6 triples. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #763 on: March 16, 2024, 04:51:11 PM »
And you are saying you don’t get that crap can happen at any point to any player. People get hurt and can get hurt on any play so if you are in the hold a healthy player back camp then you should do that with every one of them.

His playing or not has nothing to do with Risk/reward. He hasn’t been medically cleared which means he hasn’t been able to show he can maintain stability or lack of pain statically or throughout his range of motion.

If they have cleared or will clear him to play indicates the injury has healed enough that there is stability and no pain    throughout his range of motion. Also likely presents a “clean MRI”. None of that means he won’t reinjury himself and  in other sports it is common for players to do that in same year or the next year.    If they clear him to play, he can play and 5 days isn’t going to make him any less susceptible to reinjury. The five days may help him get medically cleared but it is statistically irrelevant to reinjury.

Just because that goes over your head doesn’t mean I need to be a Dr.

If his playing or not has nothing to do with risk/reward, why did Shaka say Kolek would have played this past Thursday if it were the national championship game but that he wouldn't play Thursday because it was "just" a BET game?

The rest of your comment is either silliness - wrap them all in bubble wrap because a guy can get hurt crossing the street! - or speculation regarding stuff you have no clue about.

Kolek out

Common sense, plain and simple. And - admittedly just speculation here - if it were an NCAA tournament game, he'd have given it a go.

Now let's go beat UConn without him!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #764 on: March 16, 2024, 05:01:11 PM »
If his playing or not has nothing to do with risk/reward, why did Shaka say Kolek would have played this past Thursday if it were the national championship game but that he wouldn't play Thursday because it was "just" a BET game?

The rest of your comment is either silliness - wrap them all in bubble wrap because a guy can get hurt crossing the street! - or speculation regarding stuff you have no clue about.

Common sense, plain and simple. And - admittedly just speculation here - if it were an NCAA tournament game, he'd have given it a go.

Kolek is out
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload

DJO's Jaw

• All American
« Reply #766 on: March 16, 2024, 05:04:17 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #767 on: March 16, 2024, 05:13:58 PM »
The Fox Sports studio crew just said a minute ago that Shaka told them Kolek has been reminding him all day that he's OK and ready to go but that Shaka said he won't play. "He'll be ready next week, though."

If that's true, if we believe Shaka, it would appear that he and the other decision-makers have made the same risk/reward decision that many of us have said we'd make.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #768 on: March 16, 2024, 05:14:30 PM »
If you are going technical he actually said “without restrictions”. So he could have some of those today…

Technically, Kolek out  ;D

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #769 on: March 16, 2024, 05:48:07 PM »

Coach marketing his guy.  Protecting a seed line by making it appear the guy is day to day and likely to play in the tournament. Lots of reasons can explain why he said it. Tyler couldn’t play because he hasn’t been medically cleared.  That’s the part you keep missing. He isn’t medically cleared to play so it hasn’t nothing to do with risk/reward.  Shaka has said that after each game Tyler wants to play but not medically cleared so obviously he isn’t fully healthy. 

The silliness is your lack of understanding of basic concepts and treating a healthy player different than other healthy players.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #770 on: March 16, 2024, 05:51:08 PM »
Are you not understanding that we all would love both, but we're unwilling to possibly sacrifice Kolek for the ncaa to win the BET?

I understand the second part.  I'm not sure about the first part given how many people have described it as meaningless or nothing to gain
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 05:53:12 PM by TAMU, Knower of Ball »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #771 on: March 16, 2024, 06:27:49 PM »
With Stevie being unable to move his left arm, he shouldn’t be playing either. Bigger fish to fry this month.

Coach marketing his guy.  Protecting a seed line by making it appear the guy is day to day and likely to play in the tournament. Lots of reasons can explain why he said it. Tyler couldn’t play because he hasn’t been medically cleared.  That’s the part you keep missing. He isn’t medically cleared to play so it hasn’t nothing to do with risk/reward.  Shaka has said that after each game Tyler wants to play but not medically cleared so obviously he isn’t fully healthy. 

The silliness is your lack of understanding of basic concepts and treating a healthy player different than other healthy players.

Of course you treat a healthy player who is coming off missing 2+ weeks of time due to injury differently than a healthy guy who hasn’t been injured at all this year. There’s a reason there are minutes restrictions on players returning from injury.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #772 on: March 16, 2024, 06:40:38 PM »

OK, Dr. Boy.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #773 on: March 16, 2024, 06:53:49 PM »
With Stevie being unable to move his left arm, he shouldn’t be playing either. Bigger fish to fry this month.

Of course you treat a healthy player who is coming off missing 2+ weeks of time due to injury differently than a healthy guy who hasn’t been injured at all this year. There’s a reason there are minutes restrictions on players returning from injury.

I think we are aligned. If the player is healthy enough to play you play them even if that means minute restrictions. If they aren’t then don’t.

There is a reason Stevie is out there with a bum shoulder and Kolek is not. It isn’t because he thought he could but coach said we need you for the round of 64. We need Stevie, Chase and Kolek just as much to get to sweet 16.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #774 on: March 16, 2024, 08:23:57 PM »
Marquette Wounded Eagles
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback