Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kolek Update  (Read 83290 times)

GB Warrior

• All American
Re: Kolek Update
« Reply #700 on: March 16, 2024, 10:05:45 AM »
Would love for him to play, but what's the upside?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #701 on: March 16, 2024, 10:06:25 AM »
Rico

Make no mistake about it, Doc wants MU you win tonight and a NC.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #702 on: March 16, 2024, 10:06:51 AM »
I don’t know about the rest of you, but I don’t want TKO’s first game back to be a lose and go home game. IF he’s got a bit of rust, or his timing is a bit off, let’s get him some game action if he’s healthy and cleared to play and get him some game reps, even if on limited minutes.

No-brainer IMO.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #703 on: March 16, 2024, 10:09:56 AM »
If the medical staff thinks he's ready, let him play.

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #704 on: March 16, 2024, 10:11:08 AM »
I don’t know about the rest of you, but I don’t want TKO’s first game back to be a lose and go home game. IF he’s got a bit of rust, or his timing is a bit off, let’s get him some game action if he’s healthy and cleared to play and get him some game reps, even if on limited minutes.

No-brainer IMO.

He should play tonight.

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #705 on: March 16, 2024, 10:14:33 AM »

If he is healthy, play him. If not then don’t.

Approach goals vs. avoidance goals. If he is healthy I think he will get some run.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #706 on: March 16, 2024, 10:14:45 AM »
I have given this a lot of thought and have finally decided that I am going to leave the decision up to Shaka.
I'm on edge because I haven't made a decision on if I'd prefer Kolek play tonight or not.  If Shaka calls for my opinion it will be one of those awkward conversations where I hem and haw and he'll probably be annoyed at my indecision.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #707 on: March 16, 2024, 10:15:11 AM »
So?
[/quote

Dreck, hey?

A dude your age should know howta quote on Scoop, hey?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 10:17:07 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #708 on: March 16, 2024, 10:17:00 AM »
If he is cleared to play, I could see Shaka starting Chase and bringing Tyler in for spot minutes just to get some of the cobwebs off.   If we win the big East again, great.  If we don’t, not to worry.  We need Tyler back for the ncaa in full form.   

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #709 on: March 16, 2024, 10:17:30 AM »
The upside of Tyler's injury is the playing time and big game experience for the team.  Not just the bench, but also the starters who were put in roles that were outside their norm. This includes having to play physical teams in a half court slog game.

Other teams lose their AA PG and fold. Incredible that we are playing in and defending the BET Championship.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #710 on: March 16, 2024, 10:29:52 AM »
The upside of Tyler's injury is the playing time and big game experience for the team.  Not just the bench, but also the starters who were put in roles that were outside their norm. This includes having to play physical teams in a half court slog game.

Other teams lose their AA PG and fold. Incredible that we are playing in and defending the BET Championship.

The progress they've shown in these type of slog games has been impressive. They lose that Nova game earlier in the year.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #711 on: March 16, 2024, 10:39:22 AM »
If he is cleared to play, I could see Shaka starting Chase and bringing Tyler in for spot minutes just to get some of the cobwebs off.   If we win the big East again, great.  If we don’t, not to worry.  We need Tyler back for the ncaa in full form.

If he is cleared to play, they will play him as much as possible. They aren't going to treat the Big East championship as a get the cobwebs off type of game.

There is only one simple answer as to whether Kolek plays. Does the medical staff clear him? If so, he will play to the maximum the medical staff allows.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 10:47:11 AM by forgetful »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #712 on: March 16, 2024, 10:41:47 AM »
If he is cleared to play, they will play him as much as possible. They aren't going to treat the Big East championship as a get the cobwebs off type of game.

There is only one simple answer as to whether Kolek plays. If the medical staff clears him. If so, he will play to the maximum the medical staff allows.

There weren’t any medical staffs when Al McGuire coached
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #713 on: March 16, 2024, 11:03:40 AM »
Agreed TAMU, if he is fully healthy he should play.  A Big East title is big and would be remembered, especially back to back.  But if there is even a twinge or pull in that area, even without pain, he should rest till the first round of the NCAA tournament. I think that is universally accepted by the fan base.

You're right on.  Ring out ahoya. Go Marquette! Win today.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #714 on: March 16, 2024, 11:04:04 AM »

If Tyler is playing. He's playing.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #715 on: March 16, 2024, 11:04:19 AM »
There weren’t any medical staffs when Al McGuire coached

bc all the available medical staff had grass in their front yards.  That wasn’t Al’s world.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

tower912

• All American
« Reply #716 on: March 16, 2024, 11:05:48 AM »
If the doctors sign off, play him.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #717 on: March 16, 2024, 11:09:25 AM »
If he sits, I don’t watch.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #718 on: March 16, 2024, 11:14:30 AM »
If the medical staff thinks he's ready, let him play.

Totally agree

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #719 on: March 16, 2024, 11:15:39 AM »
I'm on edge because I haven't made a decision on if I'd prefer Kolek play tonight or not.  If Shaka calls for my opinion it will be one of those awkward conversations where I hem and haw and he'll probably be annoyed at my indecision.

He just called me and asked for my opinion. I said "It's up to you pal. That's why you're paid the Big Bucks."
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #720 on: March 16, 2024, 11:20:49 AM »
I guess the assumption is that Tyler is in the recovery zone of he can aggravate his injury at any time.  Otherwise, he would be playing.  Is it worth doing so now knowing that if he does reinjury his season is done.  I don't think that is going to change next week either, but it does bide time in his recovery and there is a finality of a loss, and your season is over and in Tyler's case, collegiate career could be over. to consider. 

I want him to play tonight because I want to win all the Big East titles and championships we can.  I cringe when anyone says the Big East tournament doesn't matter.  Big East titles and tourney championships do matter.   A lot.  Building a culture of winning matters.  It opens up more doors of opportunity.  More funds, better recruits, etc.  You play to win.  We will play to win tonight.  I want Big East teams to hate us because we win.   

As much as I want Tyler to play tonight, I want him playing at his highest capable level.  I don't think he has been cleared to practice in any game like action.  Maybe he has but to do so tonight without any running, grinding, bumping, twisting around in a game-like or hard practice session would be foolish.  I don't think there is any way he is playing tonight.  Hopefully he gets cleared to do more than just shoot around.  He needs to ramp up in practices to play in games. 

I think he will play again.  He will play in the first round but that could last all of one minute or one half or one game or more. That is the nature of his injury and circumstances of a collegiate career possibly ending. 

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #721 on: March 16, 2024, 11:23:55 AM »
I have given this a lot of thought and have finally decided that I am going to leave the decision up to Shaka.

And Shaka should leave it to the medical staff.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #722 on: March 16, 2024, 11:26:12 AM »
False

If he wants to go tomorrow, allow it

True, nothing to gain by him playing in a game that really doesn’t mean a hell of a lot.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #723 on: March 16, 2024, 12:13:35 PM »
I guess the assumption is that Tyler is in the recovery zone of he can aggravate his injury at any time.  Otherwise, he would be playing.  Is it worth doing so now knowing that if he does reinjury his season is done.  I don't think that is going to change next week either, but it does bide time in his recovery and there is a finality of a loss, and your season is over and in Tyler's case, collegiate career could be over. to consider. 

I want him to play tonight because I want to win all the Big East titles and championships we can.  I cringe when anyone says the Big East tournament doesn't matter.  Big East titles and tourney championships do matter.   A lot.  Building a culture of winning matters.  It opens up more doors of opportunity.  More funds, better recruits, etc.  You play to win.  We will play to win tonight.  I want Big East teams to hate us because we win.   

As much as I want Tyler to play tonight, I want him playing at his highest capable level.  I don't think he has been cleared to practice in any game like action.  Maybe he has but to do so tonight without any running, grinding, bumping, twisting around in a game-like or hard practice session would be foolish.  I don't think there is any way he is playing tonight.  Hopefully he gets cleared to do more than just shoot around.  He needs to ramp up in practices to play in games. 

I think he will play again.  He will play in the first round but that could last all of one minute or one half or one game or more. That is the nature of his injury and circumstances of a collegiate career possibly ending.

I don't think anyone is saying the BET tournament title doesn't matter.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #724 on: March 16, 2024, 12:20:57 PM »

There is only one simple answer as to whether Kolek plays. Does the medical staff clear him? If so, he will play to the maximum the medical staff allows.

There's almost no way that its as simple as being "cleared" though.  Shaka himself said that if Thursday was the NCAA championship, he'd be playing.  That means its a risk-reward call with substantial risk of reaggravation. He would have been "medically cleared" earlier this week.