Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU defense on Friar  (Read 3794 times)

tower912

• All American
MU defense on Friar
« on: February 28, 2024, 07:58:03 PM »
1.  Ben Gold.   His defense in the first half was a clinic.  Not just the blocks.    The help, the hedges and recovery, the going toe to toe with Oduro.   He will be just fine as the starting center next season.
2.  Tre will be just fine, also.  A freshman improving as the season continues.   Why the surprise?  More importantly, why the lack of patience?
3.  The theme this week was vengeance.  Nuff said.
4.  Stop shooting 3s.  MU's offense sucks.  (Spanish futbol anouncer voice) Collllllllle.   Colecolecolecolecolecole.    Colllllle
Keep running the offense and shooting 3s.
5. The officials got the call right on the dust up.   However, having Oso and Stevie picking up their 3rd fouls before the 15 minute mark was less than ideal.
6.  Kolek.  Oblique outlook.
7.  Kolek out and maintaining the lead was huge.  There are always opportunities for learning and growth
8.  Three straight games with the walk-ons finishing the game.
9.  Friar trucked.
10.  Get healthy TKo.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: MU defense on Friar
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2024, 07:59:36 PM »
Tremendous performance.  Hopefully Tyko will be fine. 

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 08:01:40 PM »
A defensive clinic.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2024, 08:02:11 PM »
Awesome performance. This was a tough team they beat tonight.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2024, 08:04:56 PM »
I disagree only with point 5... what happened initially was not a basketball play and was easily a flagrant 1 and probably a 2.  Refs spent about 10 minutes actively trying to even up the game but even 8 vs 5 and w/o Kolek the Warriors prevail.

That was a horrible officiating crew.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2024, 08:05:15 PM »
Disagree on #5.

So much to like about so many guys tonight.

Dung Mitchell and Brick Gold were outstanding.

Not going to overreact about TKO.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2024, 08:05:37 PM »
Providence knew their only chance was to punk us. We said eff that from the tip and brought the fight to them. Completely dominant from start to finish.

I’m not sure some of those Providence “box outs” and seals are legal. Boxing out facing your man and just two hand shoving him out of bounds seems more like a foul. And Oduro doesn’t stand his ground on the seal, he throws his shoulder right into the recovering defender.

Gold’s activity was as good as I’ve seen. Stevie was awesome as always. If he scores like this and we stay healthy I’ll take our chances. Norman belongs at this level. And Lowry can contribute defensively and on the boards.

Great game, just need Kolek to be alright.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2024, 08:07:26 PM »
Chase stroke from deep looked nice and confident too
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2024, 08:11:33 PM »
I disagree only with point 5... what happened initially was not a basketball play and was easily a flagrant 1 and probably a 2.  Refs spent about 10 minutes actively trying to even up the game but even 8 vs 5 and w/o Kolek the Warriors prevail.

It would have been a defensible F1. No chance it was F2.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2024, 08:12:24 PM »
Tower, feel better about #1 than a couple of weeks ago.

Have to agree with a couple of posters that you were wrong on #5.  Should have been a flagrant 1 on Odouro. I'm OK with a tech on Oso because he was responding, but good for him.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2024, 08:12:28 PM »
Providence knew their only chance was to punk us. We said eff that from the tip and brought the fight to them. Completely dominant from start to finish.

I’m not sure some of those Providence “box outs” and seals are legal. Boxing out facing your man and just two hand shoving him out of bounds seems more like a foul. And Oduro doesn’t stand his ground on the seal, he throws his shoulder right into the recovering defender.

Gold’s activity was as good as I’ve seen. Stevie was awesome as always. If he scores like this and we stay healthy I’ll take our chances. Norman belongs at this level. And Lowry can contribute defensively and on the boards.

Oduro is a walking foul out there. Every screen he sets is illegal

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2024, 08:12:40 PM »

Yes.  There's a difference between being physical and being thugs.  Great job by MU.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2024, 08:13:30 PM »

Add Ticket Gaines to that too.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2024, 08:14:42 PM »

Driscoll is a POS (49-19). Roger Ayers is one of the best refs in college BB. The 3rd guy wasn't a great presence.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2024, 08:16:26 PM »
Another brick in the Ben Gold foundation. He might end up being the unsung hero in a very special season. His ceiling is very high.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2024, 08:18:13 PM »
my thread title would have been "F*ck the Friars":

11. Can we officially call him "Willie Dung Brick"

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2024, 08:19:19 PM »
Add Ticket Gaines to that too.

Great point FLD. 

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2024, 08:22:13 PM »
Another brick in the Ben Gold foundation. He might end up being the unsung hero in a very special season. His ceiling is very high.

That was more like 1000sqft of bricks in that foundation.

Kid looked like he was shot out of a cannon. So active, so alert, so aggressive.

Best we’ve seen him play.

Keep it up Benny.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2024, 08:27:43 PM »

Guy makes Theo John look foul free!

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2024, 08:29:42 PM »
It would have been a defensible F1. No chance it was F2.

I try to avoid getting into it about the refs, but this is a worthy exception. Inexcusable! Unacceptable!
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2024, 08:30:43 PM »
Best we’ve seen him play.
Disagree.  He has been playing help defense, hedging/recovering/trapping for most of this 11 out of 12 streak.   The blocks tonight were awesome.   Everything else on defense has been displayed for the last 6 weeks.    I am glad more are noticing.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 08:36:29 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2024, 08:36:02 PM »
Tower

Ben has been like a home remodeling job, looks like no progress for weeks and then overnight progress. He has been getting better every game on defense for two months and now it is more noticeable.

All I know is there were/are a lot of anti Ben Gold folks on here and they missed the boat big time. Sadly, they will stick with their opinions and post every time he makes a mistake or missed an open shot. Positive note, 95% of those posters have been wrong on 95% of MU basketball for a decade plus.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 08:37:34 PM by Goose »

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2024, 08:36:54 PM »

Oduro’s foul on Chase had contact to the head. Should have been a mandatory review at the very least.

This was the T on Oso in the first game:

https://x.com/robdauster/status/1737333186785427699?s=46

Not a foul called on the play but reviewed later on. Don’t really care what the call is, but I hate the lack of consistency.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2024, 08:40:34 PM »
Disagree.  He has been playing help defense, hedging/recovering/trapping for most of this 11 out of 12 streak.   The blocks tonight were awesome.   Everything else on defense has been displayed for the last 6 weeks.    I am glad more are noticing.
Who? Ben Brick Dung Gold (BBDG)?
Goal is National Championship

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2024, 08:44:15 PM »
Was that Kam’s first dunk at Marquette?  I don’t remember any others.

Can we have Benetti and Raft for every game?  They are so good together.