[October 22, 2024, 07:09:33 PM]

Recruiting as of 9/15/24 by We R Final Four
[October 22, 2024, 06:51:53 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Oldgym
[October 22, 2024, 05:29:19 PM]

Marquette Retiring Jim Chones Jersey by Nukem2
[October 22, 2024, 04:06:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: B&G Tip-Off Luncheon

Marquette
Marquette

B&G Luncheon

Date/Time: Oct 31, 2024 11:30am
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 Transfer Portal  (Read 401069 times)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: 2024 Transfer Portal
« Reply #2050 on: June 16, 2024, 02:01:25 PM »
Good for him. Seems like a guy with a good head on his shoulders. Hope he manages it wisely.

Outside of basketball, I clearly no nothing about the guy

But if you watch him play for even 3 minutes, good head on his shoulders would not be the take away
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #2051 on: June 16, 2024, 02:17:46 PM »

But if you watch him play for even 3 minutes, good head on his shoulders would not be the take away

Yep.  Someone lit their money on fire.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2052 on: June 16, 2024, 02:42:15 PM »

I clearly mean off the court. And he’s not terrible on the court either.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2053 on: June 17, 2024, 05:27:42 PM »
Good for him. Seems like a guy with a good head on his shoulders. Hope he manages it wisely.

Friend of mine is a big Illini fan with a special needs child. They met Hawkins a couple of years ago after a game and have continued to stay in touch since. Hawkins has gone out of his way to be kind to his son for no reason other than he can.
He's genuinely happy to see Hawkins get paid, even if it means leaving Illinois.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2054 on: June 17, 2024, 08:36:32 PM »
Friend of mine is a big Illini fan with a special needs child. They met Hawkins a couple of years ago after a game and have continued to stay in touch since. Hawkins has gone out of his way to be kind to his son for no reason other than he can.
He's genuinely happy to see Hawkins get paid, even if it means leaving Illinois.

Thanks for sharing that, Pak. I love hearing great stories like these.

I wish that all athletes knew how profound an effect they can have on people.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
“It was a Great Day until it wasn’t”
    ——Rory McIlroy on Final Round at Pinehurst

wadesworld

• All American
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2057 on: July 07, 2024, 07:04:02 AM »
regarding k-state and Hawkins $2 mil...holy schnikees!!  how much can these dudes make per year in NIL money from the school??  I understand they can do all the Snickers bars and hair lube commercials they want but school NIL?? 
felz Houston ate uncle boozie's hands

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2058 on: July 07, 2024, 09:06:27 AM »
regarding k-state and Hawkins $2 mil...holy schnikees!!  how much can these dudes make per year in NIL money from the school??  I understand they can do all the Snickers bars and hair lube commercials they want but school NIL??

$0.00.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #2059 on: July 07, 2024, 04:45:48 PM »

The “school NIL” can only advise, educate, and now help set up players with deals. They cannot pay players. The $2 million number is a combination of deals the kid gets from multiple businesses, which the collective and the kid’s agent set up.

K State has a ton of big Ag money funding their collective.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2060 on: July 07, 2024, 05:49:45 PM »
The “school NIL” can only advise, educate, and now help set up players with deals. They cannot pay players. The $2 million number is a combination of deals the kid gets from multiple businesses, which the collective and the kid’s agent set up.

K State has a ton of big Ag money funding their collective.
I thought I read that from the recent class action, part of the agreement the Power 5 agreed to was to allow the schools to pay players directly.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2061 on: July 07, 2024, 06:02:56 PM »
I thought I read that from the recent class action, part of the agreement the Power 5 agreed to was to allow the schools to pay players directly.

I’ve read many things that are not true.
REJOICE! Eric Dixon has been suspended!!

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #2063 on: July 08, 2024, 12:37:47 PM »

It's not "NIL" but like an increased version of Cost of Attendance stipends. The amount will be capped too.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2064 on: July 08, 2024, 08:45:13 PM »

I wonder how administrations are going to handle this. An additional $21M in expenses to pay athletes is not a small amount. Will Universities just pilfer more money from tuition/fees? Or will they seek money from donors to cover the costs? If so, that would make a significant dent in donations that typically go to scholarships, research, etc.

Similarly, how does this impact NIL funds. If schools are having to increase athletic donations by $21M per year, how much is left out there for NIL?

It's a mess.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2065 on: July 08, 2024, 09:54:35 PM »
I wonder how administrations are going to handle this. An additional $21M in expenses to pay athletes is not a small amount. Will Universities just pilfer more money from tuition/fees? Or will they seek money from donors to cover the costs? If so, that would make a significant dent in donations that typically go to scholarships, research, etc.

Similarly, how does this impact NIL funds. If schools are having to increase athletic donations by $21M per year, how much is left out there for NIL?

It's a mess.

I and a few others here correctly predicted this is going to really fudge up college sports and you're starting to see it right here.  the "rules", whatever they are, are going to continue to be stretched and legally challenged and stretched until...oh what the hell.  might as well start setting salary caps and tax penalties for the big 5 to pay when they blow past it. 

you'll have NBA guys quitting the NBA to go back to school to get their "degrees"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2066 on: July 08, 2024, 10:12:19 PM »
I think schools are going to be relieved. At least the ones that are serious about basketball.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

• All American
« Reply #2067 on: July 09, 2024, 08:19:31 AM »

It's a mess.

Some loaded questions there. "Pilfer?"

Anyway, it will be figured out. It usually is. My guess is the "haves" will further themselves from the "have nots." The ratings for college football will still be huge. Probably will grow with the new playoffs actually.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #2068 on: July 09, 2024, 08:20:10 AM »
  I and a few others here correctly predicted this is going to really fudge up college sports and you're starting to see it right here.  the "rules", whatever they are, are going to continue to be stretched and legally challenged and stretched until...oh what the hell.  might as well start setting salary caps and tax penalties for the big 5 to pay when they blow past it. 

No need to be a chicken-little about it. It will work itself out.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2069 on: July 09, 2024, 08:42:38 AM »

Like usual, roqqqet doesn’t know what he’s talking about
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #2070 on: July 09, 2024, 09:49:13 AM »

It's a mess.

They can learn to budget.

DFW HOYA

• All American
« Reply #2071 on: July 09, 2024, 12:37:29 PM »

P4 schools will make from $45 million (ACC, B12) to $85 million (B10, SEC) annually from its latest TV contracts. Add that in with potential CFP playoff opportunities, and no one is leaving the Big Ten or SEC because they can't afford it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2072 on: July 09, 2024, 12:55:59 PM »
I always appreciate your different perspective.  I am curious what you say about scoop on Hoya message boards. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2073 on: July 09, 2024, 04:26:21 PM »

i really don't give a flying fudgsicle what happens as i really have no control over it anyway, but just saying...my opinion is they have opened the floodgates to ruination of college athletics as we knew it.  granted, people have more money in their pockets-fine...just saying...

• All American
« Reply #2074 on: July 09, 2024, 04:29:05 PM »
  i really don't give a flying fudgsicle what happens as i really have no control over it anyway, but just saying...my opinion is they have opened the floodgates to ruination of college athletics as we knew it.  granted, people have more money in their pockets-fine...just saying...

Define "ruination of college athletics as we knew it." What is going to be ruined and how?