[July 26, 2024, 04:47:29 PM]

Big Week for Markus by TSmith34, Inc.
[July 26, 2024, 01:54:58 PM]

TK/Oso Summer League by Skatastrophy
[July 26, 2024, 11:55:47 AM]

Men's Basketball Scholarships Increases to 15 in 2025-26 by bilsu
[July 26, 2024, 11:52:47 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Men's Basketball Scholarships Increases to 15 in 2025-26  (Read 1759 times)

BCHoopster

• All American
Re: Men's Basketball Scholarships Increases to 15 in 2025-26
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2024, 09:56:44 PM »
Just means to me, there will be 720 more players in the portal! Also, means the blu bloods can take more players that think they belong on there level even though they are not.  Does MU need Ward or Allen when they have Owens and Lowery?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2024, 07:37:07 AM »
Yes there will be more players in the portal. Which I don't view as a positive or negative - it's just a fact of college athletics today since players have more freedom of movement.

Another way to think about it is that 720 additional people will have access to higher education at a reduced price.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2024, 08:24:57 AM »
"The numbers in basketball are staying similar: Men’s and women’s teams will have a roster limit of 15. The current scholarship limit is 13."

This wording confuses me. Before this change teams could have 13 scholarship players and as far as I know there was no limit on the number of walk-ons. This wording seams to limit the number of players on a team to 15.

This actually makes sense, because teams could potentially not give a scholarship to a player being paid significant $'s in NIL, thus allowing them to use the scholarship on another player.

Consider your sources. Most people are idiots.

Women’s has been 15. We’re talking scholarship limits here.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2024, 08:27:53 AM »
Consider your sources. Most people are idiots.

Women’s has been 15. We’re talking scholarship limits here.

Are you sure? Everything I have read has drawn a distinction between previous scholarship limits and roster limits. MBB will have a roster limit of 15, all of whom can be on scholarship.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2024, 08:53:52 AM »
Are you sure? Everything I have read has drawn a distinction between previous scholarship limits and roster limits. MBB will have a roster limit of 15, all of whom can be on scholarship.

Many of the articles are equating roster sizes and scholarship limits. Again, people trying to get ahead of a story without knowing the details.

It is strange that WBB would stay the same in terms of the number of scholarships allowed while capping the roster at that number. I would be surprised if that's accurate unless WBB coaches have said they don't need or want more players on the roster. 15 is a lot.  We'll start to see actual details soon. From SI this morning (this time focusing only on "roster spots:"

If the settlement is approved as is, football teams will have 105 roster spots, men’s and women’s basketball will have 15, volleyball will have 18, softball will have 25 and baseball will have 34.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2024, 08:57:50 AM »
Many of the articles are equating roster sizes and scholarship limits. Again, people trying to get ahead of a story without knowing the details.

It is strange that WBB would stay the same in terms of the number of scholarships allowed while capping the roster at that number. I would be surprised if that's accurate unless WBB coaches have said they don't need or want more players on the roster. 15 is a lot.  We'll start to see actual details soon. From SI this morning (this time focusing only on "roster spots:"

If the settlement is approved as is, football teams will have 105 roster spots, men’s and women’s basketball will have 15, volleyball will have 18, softball will have 25 and baseball will have 34.

There are large increases in women's volleyball and softball however.

Remember it's not the NCAA's problem to sort out Title IX - that's the responsibility of the individual schools.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2024, 08:58:53 AM »

There are large increases in women's volleyball and softball however.

Remember it's not the NCAA's problem to sort out Title IX - that's the responsibility of the individual schools.

Life was a lot simpler before we let broads play sports.  Go woke, go broke
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2024, 09:07:24 AM »

Clarifying: The article that says women are at 13 is wrong. It’s been at 15. The reality has been there have been numerous wbb teams carrying less than 15 by choice.

For us, I think it would be somewhat of a non-factor – walk-on / scout type players would just get on scholarship, and I would lean toward those walk-ons were great students to help with team GPA and other academic metrics (STUDENT-athletes!).

Having 15 guys in legitimate battles for playing time isn’t going to work for most. Just will need to be direct in conversations when setting expectations.. e.g., ‘we see you taking a year for development next season; no PT my boy’, ‘we see you as a scout team guy, you help our guys that actually play get better.. if there are 8 injuries maybe you’ll get a little run, but don’t count on it’..

15 has already been the ROSTER limit for mbb when it comes to what matta – the NCAA championship tourney!  So, no change there other than 14 & 15 can be on scholarship.

Seems like other sports .. this is a trickier deal than mbb. E.g. football. Hope EA updates my game quickly as any changes come into play!!!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2024, 09:08:15 AM »
Life was a lot simpler before we let broads play sports.  Go woke, go broke

*TRY TO play sports

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2024, 09:09:20 AM »
From all that I could gather, this is a huge benefit to baseball specifically.  Their scholarship pool has essentially tripled. 

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2024, 09:09:23 AM »
I'm wondering though if we would see an uptick in the quality of the walk-ons. For instance, would we get lower D1 or D2 guys who would rather sit on a bench at Marquette than play at Northern State.

Or would Shaka use them more for projects.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2024, 09:31:17 AM »
From all that I could gather, this is a huge benefit to baseball specifically.  Their scholarship pool has essentially tripled.

not really, unless they are actually going to allow 34 full-ride scholarships (doubtful). Currently, 27 kids can be on athletic aid and rosters can be as high as 39. This proposal will reduce the size of the rosters by 5 but increase the number of kids who can be on athletic aid by 7. One number I've heard thrown around for baseball scholarships is 18 to be divided among the 34.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2024, 11:52:47 AM »
Clarifying: The article that says women are at 13 is wrong. It’s been at 15. The reality has been there have been numerous wbb teams carrying less than 15 by choice.

For us, I think it would be somewhat of a non-factor – walk-on / scout type players would just get on scholarship, and I would lean toward those walk-ons were great students to help with team GPA and other academic metrics (STUDENT-athletes!).

Having 15 guys in legitimate battles for playing time isn’t going to work for most. Just will need to be direct in conversations when setting expectations.. e.g., ‘we see you taking a year for development next season; no PT my boy’, ‘we see you as a scout team guy, you help our guys that actually play get better.. if there are 8 injuries maybe you’ll get a little run, but don’t count on it’..

15 has already been the ROSTER limit for mbb when it comes to what matta – the NCAA championship tourney!  So, no change there other than 14 & 15 can be on scholarship.

Seems like other sports .. this is a trickier deal than mbb. E.g. football. Hope EA updates my game quickly as any changes come into play!!!

Jay Bee does the NIL settlement agreement require all scholarship players to receive NIL money. I know some of the money was set aside for current players. I am not sure if there are rules on how it is doled out.

feedback