'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Seton Hell  (Read 8961 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: Seton Hell
« Reply #100 on: January 06, 2024, 02:58:27 PM »
Vander

Why even debate that post?

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 06, 2024, 03:00:47 PM »
Vander

Point taken. 

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2024, 03:06:11 PM »
I think Seton Hall may have staying power and finish top 4 in BE. They are senior and 5th year laden and have a lot of experience. Already have beaten us, UConn and Providence.
Seton Hall's season might have turned with the win at Missouri.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #103 on: January 06, 2024, 03:07:09 PM »
Goose - my point is trajectory.  This team is not looking better than November (far worse) and has not showed up in 3 road games.... at the current time, this is not a well performing team.  They have the talent to regain the mojo when they beat Kansas, Illinois, and Texas.  But something is wrong right now...

Vander

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #104 on: January 06, 2024, 03:10:13 PM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2024, 03:12:54 PM »
It's time to explore the transfer portal. Other teams transfers have come up big against us.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2024, 03:15:52 PM »
Fan94

I am not sure that his disappearing act against SH and UW was unintentional. Other guys have to step up. GoldenEagle posted how MU might be missing that one guy to be a great time. There is little chance of 4-8 player stepping up on a regular basis if Kolek is carrying the team on his back.

Anyone that thinks Kolek is not a big game player is crazy, imo. He didn’t run away from the ball in those games, other guys controlled the ball.

Definitely agree that others need to step up from time to time, and they have as indicated by having 5 different SOTGs in 11 wins.  I just don't see the benefit of Kolek not controlling the ball...at all times. Isn't that point of having an AA PG?  Shouldn't he dictate where (and to whom) the ball goes?  Something seems to happen where he begins forcing (hence the much lower A/TO ratio in those games) or he loses focus or some combination of both when he's in more a SG role.

panda

• All American
« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2024, 03:16:50 PM »
This team is so dependent on high energy plays and momentum. It’s so challenging to recreate that on the road.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2024, 03:17:30 PM »
Point

November spoiled everyone. They beat a very good Illinois team, Kansas, battled Purdue hard and smoked Texas. They are not good enough to play at that level for 35 games, not are they bad as they looked against UW and Providence.

Seriously, they did not play well today but hardly an all time poor Shaka era performance. To be fair, I have not watched the last five games played by the 15 teams you noted to make a comparison. If you have, you have too much time on your hands.

FYI— that is coming from a 60y who is still in his pajamas.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 03:22:35 PM by Goose »

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #109 on: January 06, 2024, 03:23:20 PM »
A resume is a complete body of work.

Marquettes resume is fantastic, and will be all year, unless something drastic happens.

That’s different than single game performance or the fantastic point brew makes on the importance of getting a top seed.

A 2 or 3 seed is virtually a lock outside of a large collapse, this team is too good to not get that. Heck they almost won on the road with their two all BE guards being brutal.

The 1 seed is fleeting though, and that matters.

So, the point of taking Tyler off the ball and conserving has merit, I was one of the first to mention that it seemed by design, but you can’t keep taking Ls and dropping seeds for a bigger scheme. Gotta change it up a bit.

Today was funny- I would’ve argued the starters should play 37 mins + after the first 10, Shaka sat a bunch of em like he usually does, and they were never the same after that.
Then I would’ve argued that they should’ve sat a bunch late and they didn’t.
It is what it is, gotta turn it around at home, where Marquette has been king

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #110 on: January 06, 2024, 03:40:46 PM »
SH had 22 turnovers and MU had 14 steals, and they lost. 14 steals.....

SH had 43 rebounds, MU had 25.  Again another liability on the boards for MU.

That is pretty incredible. One would think having 14 steals puts you in the drivers seat. The shooting hopefully improves and it sure would be nice not having to dig out of a hole every so often.

Rebounding is brutal. Ben with 1? Shaka might want to the consider the portal for a center next year.

AccredoJoe

• Walk-On
« Reply #111 on: January 06, 2024, 03:52:15 PM »
Unrealistic expectations. Everything went right last year. No injuries was a big deal. Close games went our way. Looks like 21-10 is more realistic. Go 2-1 in BET. 6 of 7 seed. Maybe will be back in stride by tourney time. Best scenario would be Sweet 16.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2024, 03:53:27 PM »

What is your realistic goal for this team? Mine is a minimum of E8. IMO, the more they work on different lineups and schemes, the better they will be in March. As a fan, I want to see Kolek running the show 35 minutes every game. That said, I do not think the same 8 guys are going to have major improvement doing the same thing as last year. Best chance for an improved team is getting 1-3 other guys to be consistent contributors. 5 SOTG is great, but none of the non starters have been consistent yet.

Again, as a fan I have little interest in watching Sean Jones dribble into the lane on every possession with Kolek 30 feet from the basket. However, if that makes Sean Jones better in March I am all in.

IMO, Shaka has never had more pressure for winning in March. He, and his team, rejuvenated a fanbase and a lot of eyes on the fellas and the heat is on. He chose not to replace Omax and he did not have his guys shy away from talking about winning a N.C. this year. I 100% believe he is getting the guys ready for March and not obsessing over a BE title.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 06, 2024, 03:56:23 PM »
For those of you that want TK "running the show" more often, what do you do with Sean Jones?

He is not a SG and is best served with the ball in his hands.  You reduce his effectiveness by having him off the ball.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2024, 03:56:46 PM »
If you told me we would hold Bediako to 3 offensive rebounds, win the turnover battle 22-10, and play at the pace we want, I would've expected a 15-20 point win. This is simply a bad loss to a bad team. So much wrong with today. Kam and Tyler both just not showing up. Not having an answer for them inside. Not being able to create our own shots inside when that's our specialty. Giving up the two run-outs after tying the game that proved to the the margin difference between a win and loss. We just didn't seem well-prepared to beat an inferior opponent on the road.

I've been all in on this team being a national title contender, but we just don't look like it right now. The offense is a pale shadow of what last year was and the defensive improvement isn't enough to offset it. Not sure our ceiling, but at the moment it feels more like the second weekend than competing to cut down nets in the third.

Seton Hall isn't a bad team lol. A team Marquette should beat. Sure.

We miss OMax on offense FAR more than we do on defense as far as the eye can tell.

He was so good at getting to the rim and hitting the open shots. 13 points a night shooting 63% inside the arc hasn't been replicated.
VIOLENCE!

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #115 on: January 06, 2024, 04:00:04 PM »

We miss OMax on offense FAR more than we do on defense as far as the eye can tell.

He was so good at getting to the rim and hitting the open shots. 13 points a night shooting 63% inside the arc hasn't been replicated.
Omax would have shut down Richmond and we would have won this game with him.  That is how we miss Omax on defense. Might now show up in the metrics but it is absolutely the case.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #116 on: January 06, 2024, 04:01:46 PM »
Omax would have shut down Richmond and we would have won this game with him.  That is how we miss Omax on defense. Might now show up in the metrics but it is absolutely the case.

Nope. Chase Ross would have though.

OMax didn't even guard Richmond last year. Stevie and Chase did.
VIOLENCE!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #117 on: January 06, 2024, 04:10:10 PM »
Seriously, the Omax fan club is coming out? Come on guys, be consistent. I don’t remember a first round NBA pick from MU ever get more criticism than Omax did last year. Honestly, he got more criticism than the rest of the team combined on here.

Is Omax missed, I believe so. That said he was not missed in Maui. He played a big role in their success last season but he wouldn’t have made the Kansas game a bigger margin of victory.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #118 on: January 06, 2024, 04:15:19 PM »
Unrealistic expectations. Everything went right last year. No injuries was a big deal. Close games went our way. Looks like 21-10 is more realistic. Go 2-1 in BET. 6 of 7 seed. Maybe will be back in stride by tourney time. Best scenario would be Sweet 16.

LOL

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #119 on: January 06, 2024, 04:18:08 PM »

He hit 34% from 3 last year.  Solid but nothing special.  So no, we're not missing his marksmanship.  His defense, his length, running the floor, etc.  Absolutely.  Not why we lost today. 

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #120 on: January 06, 2024, 04:18:30 PM »
12. Subbing out our starters while they're rolling up 10

Agreed.  Very bad decision.

panda

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 06, 2024, 04:20:04 PM »
Seriously, the Omax fan club is coming out? Come on guys, be consistent. I don’t remember a first round NBA pick from MU ever get more criticism than Omax did last year. Honestly, he got more criticism than the rest of the team combined on here.

Is Omax missed, I believe so. That said he was not missed in Maui. He played a big role in their success last season but he wouldn’t have made the Kansas game a bigger margin of victory.

We’re missing a guy who can score in transition and secondary break situations. Teams are really doing a good job eliminating pick and roll towards the hoop and switching on all screens. Thats negating a lot of our quick ball movement. We need those “easy” buckets when our half court o is stalling. We’re missing that guy.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #122 on: January 06, 2024, 04:23:13 PM »
He hit 34% from 3 last year.  Solid but nothing special.  So no, we're not missing his marksmanship.  His defense, his length, running the floor, etc.  Absolutely.  Not why we lost today.

What was his % on open jumpshots? He poured in 13 points a night and got to the basket relentlessly.

Offense is our issue with this team, not defense.
VIOLENCE!

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #123 on: January 06, 2024, 04:24:55 PM »
FYI— that is coming from a 60y who is still in his pajamas.

Atta boy, Goose

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2024, 04:27:34 PM »

A team with losses to USC, Iowa, and Rutgers? That just got blown out by Xavier? They certainly aren't a good one. Bubble team at best, and that's including today's win.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.