Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Seton Hell  (Read 8348 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: Seton Hell
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2024, 01:41:41 PM »
I have said several times that I think Shaka is running this team/program more like an NBA team. The rotation in the lineup is definitely not traditional college style, imo. To be honest, I like it and think things change come tournament time. During the Kansas game there were four subs in the court in the first half and nobody was complaining after that game.

Disappointing loss and likely several more to come in BE play. There is a lot of time left in this season and my confidence in the team has not changed. This team, while not perfect, has a lot of weapons, plays very good D and ton of experience.

Every year we are on here talking about teams we do not want MU playing in March and this season I still think they are a team no one will want to play. There are things to clean up and not fouling a 3pt shot is pretty high on that list.

As for Kolek, it seems to me that there has been multiple times this year that the game plan looks like intentionally not having the ball in his hands. Again, if they can figure out how to make that work over the next two months it is an additional wrinkle to the team. To date, it has not worked, but 16 more games to figure it out.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2024, 01:44:47 PM »
Shaka mentioned he needs to find five guys who will be lost in the fight like Oso and who give consistent energy and effort, and who do what it takes to win.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2024, 01:50:02 PM »
I think the issue is the offense is showing that there isn't much there if Tyler isn't showing up. It feels a bit like everyone but Sean has had a regression this year.
People getting hooked on their press clippings
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2024, 01:50:06 PM »
since the Kansas game, Shaka's sub strategy is not working against decent teams.  Hope your faith in the system pays off...

I have said several times that I think Shaka is running this team/program more like an NBA team. The rotation in the lineup is definitely not traditional college style, imo. To be honest, I like it and think things change come tournament time. During the Kansas game there were four subs in the court in the first half and nobody was complaining after that game.

Disappointing loss and likely several more to come in BE play. There is a lot of time left in this season and my confidence in the team has not changed. This team, while not perfect, has a lot of weapons, plays very good D and ton of experience.

Every year we are on here talking about teams we do not want MU playing in March and this season I still think they are a team no one will want to play. There are things to clean up and not fouling a 3pt shot is pretty high on that list.

As for Kolek, it seems to me that there has been multiple times this year that the game plan looks like intentionally not having the ball in his hands. Again, if they can figure out how to make that work over the next two months it is an additional wrinkle to the team. To date, it has not worked, but 16 more games to figure it out.

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2024, 01:53:14 PM »
Sean Jones looked hungry today. Everyone else just kinda going through the motions. Only 2 data points, but this team struggles on the big east road. Not looking good. Butler will be tough, they gave uconn a run this week

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2024, 01:57:06 PM »
I'd like to see Ben operate as a solo big for a bit more time. But it's pretty clear Shaka wants Oso as his security blanket on defense.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2024, 01:57:28 PM »
Feels like a round of 32 team.
What round did we look last year?
No Finish Line

Goose

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2024, 01:59:37 PM »

I think that is part of Kolek’s issue of late. I believe that he may be frustrated with guys and is letting them do their thing. For him to basically not have the ball in his hands or shoot in two their losses is strange to me. Today, he was a non factor and not entirely because of SH game plan. It looked to me that he took himself out to the mix on offense.

Point

I don’t agree with your point at all. It looked pretty good against Texas and second half against Creighton. I think everyone truly thought we were going to see 15+ Kansas like performances and now are disappointed.

Again, my point is I think Shaka is 100% more concerned with March than a BE title. IMO, the late run to win BE and BET probably hurt them in March more than helped them. This year, I think he is prepping for March like an NBA preps for the playoffs.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 02:01:16 PM by Goose »

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2024, 02:03:18 PM »
Third disappearing act of the season from our All American PG today.  (UCLA, WI, SH)  Can't have it.  1.85 AST/TO on the road just not good enough, esp when he's not scoring.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2024, 02:05:05 PM »
This team needs Kolek's hand on the wheel   off the ball he gets disinterested and showcasing Kam at point hasn't born much fruit  You may be correct about Shaka playing the long game   

1SE

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2024, 02:06:59 PM »
I'd like to see Ben operate as a solo big for a bit more time. But it's pretty clear Shaka wants Oso as his security blanket on defense.
q

Gold is awful - has to be most disappointing player this year. If one of his wide open looks goes in it completely changes the game. If you're a big slow guy who is a liability on D but shoots 3s, but you don't shoot 3s....
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2024, 02:09:25 PM »
Goose - I sure hope Shaka and team can turn it on in March. Kolek should be reminded he was a AA last year and "pre-season" AA this year but still needs to play that way this season...

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2024, 02:11:15 PM »
q

Gold is awful - has to be most disappointing player this year. If one of his wide open looks goes in it completely changes the game. If you're a big slow guy who is a liability on D but shoots 3s, but you don't shoot 3s....
Gold was brutal today.  Big disappointment so far.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2024, 02:11:49 PM »
I’m honestly kind of surprised at the overreaction here. Like we’ve already seen what this team’s ceiling looks like this year not to mention what they accomplished last year.
No Finish Line

Goose

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2024, 02:12:55 PM »
To anyone discounting Tyler Kolek as a big time player, I would bet a lot of money he will make you eat your words before the season is out. Similar to the Kansas team performance, Kolek has spoiled MU fans.

I get everyone focuses on the now, but l’ll agree that he has had 2-3 very subpar games this season. That would make 2-3 subpar performances in the last 51 games. I like that batting average. Yes, there are probably more than 2-3 but probably can count them on one hand. Funny part, almost every time ended in a loss. My gut says he probably was pretty responsible for the 40 wins during that stretch.

Bottom line, he is the best player on the team and most important player on the team, imo. I will be beyond shocked if he is not an important part of a nice number of big wins before he concludes his college career in several months.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2024, 02:13:40 PM »

Yeah, but he would likely get more of those looks if he wasn't in lineup with Oso and Sean most of the time.

I just think it's time to mix up a few things with the lineups. I'd like to see the numbers for that lineup with Kam, Oso, and the bench guys. Can't be great.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2024, 02:14:31 PM »
I’m honestly kind of surprised at the overreaction here. Like we’ve already seen what this team’s ceiling looks like this year not to mention what they accomplished last year.

Why would an overreaction on Scoop surprise you? 

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2024, 02:17:16 PM »

They lost in the second round of the NCAA's.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2024, 02:18:11 PM »
It worked for UConn last year.

But not preseason number 1 North Carolina.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2024, 02:18:51 PM »

I was thinking the same, but then I took a beat and remembered we're on MUScoop.com

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2024, 02:18:57 PM »
The ceiling is not the problem....  with  the current state of play, the floor is the problem...

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2024, 02:19:10 PM »
Why would an overreaction on Scoop surprise you?
Point taken but I’d think they’d built more equity than this. I expect this from complete know-nothing f’n morons like nolonger but not from the masses
No Finish Line

WarriorDoc

• Starter
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2024, 02:21:10 PM »

Pre-season and even coming out of nonconference play, Marquette is/was a clear-cut media favorite to win the Big East and won it going 17-3 last year with 86% of returning minutes with the expectation that everyone got better.  After what we saw against Kansas, Illinois, and Purdue, we looked elite.

You can understand fans are going to freak-out when you have two early road losses in conference play in games we probably shouldn't have lost.

IMO it's time to dial-back expectations.  Perhaps the Big East is a little better than we thought and the "down" teams last year improved substantially.  Butler and Seton Hall play really physical and will absolutely expose our weaknesses.  It's also possible we miss OMax more than we expected.

I do hope Shaka gets it going to be in March form to make a run, otherwise having to look back at having an All-American, a draft pick point-center, and the rest of the talent on this team just winning a game or two will be a disappointment.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 02:24:56 PM by WarriorDoc »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2024, 02:24:10 PM »
Nickel

I firmly believe there are MU fans that thought the Kansas performance would be the norm after Maui. I still think MU is N.C. contender and thought they would lose 7 games this year. You don’t lose 7, of more, if they play like they did against Kansas.

All that matters is winning in March. This team, like all teams, can bow out the opening weekend in March, but I think they will be better prepared for March than any MU team in a very long time.

I will add, while I am in the Shaka fan club, he is not getting free pass from me. Today’s game was disappointing, but MSU last year was far more disappointing. Shaka has a lot to prove in March and I am betting he will have them well prepared.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2024, 02:24:30 PM »
I don’t think it’s an overreaction anymore. It’s been a month and a half almost since we played a great game. We keep using the same excuses every loss but the team is who they are at this point. Kolek is a shell of himself from last year, Kam can’t shoot 3s like last year. Oso is completely hit or miss on his floater or any offense for that matter.

We aren’t some 50% 3 shooting team like everything things we are.

feedback