[Today at 04:47:29 PM]

Big Week for Markus by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 01:54:58 PM]

TK/Oso Summer League by Skatastrophy
[Today at 11:55:47 AM]

Men's Basketball Scholarships Increases to 15 in 2025-26 by bilsu
[Today at 11:52:47 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Thoughts and prayers in Perry, Iowa  (Read 9358 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Thoughts and prayers in Perry, Iowa
« Reply #125 on: February 08, 2024, 02:49:44 PM »
  A Proud Man's Contumely Affects Me Not
Cool word choice.   I will have to file that one away.     At some point,  I will have to figure out how to use 'contume jewelry' in a joke.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #126 on: February 08, 2024, 03:05:24 PM »
It also states that reporting is not complete but i will concede though i have seen other figures
Did you see the other figures in the footage of the happy, peaceful January 6th tourists who were chanting "Hang Mike Pence" only in the most gentle, lovingest way?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #127 on: February 08, 2024, 03:07:29 PM »
When actual factual facts don't back up the case you're trying to make ... go for alternative facts!

Kellyanne Conway's lone major contribution to political discourse, but it's a big one.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #128 on: February 08, 2024, 03:27:18 PM »
I'm merely repeating Government studied  speculation not essays. Certainly there are a lot of unreported incidences of citizens defending themselves. I 'm just trying to reach the truth and am open to listening to rebuttals from respectful parties     room for all perspectives

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #129 on: February 08, 2024, 03:31:28 PM »
I'm merely repeating Government studied  speculation not essays. Certainly there are a lot of unreported incidences of citizens defending themselves. I 'm just trying to reach the truth and am open to listening to rebuttals from respectful parties     room for all perspectives

But you're not.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #130 on: February 08, 2024, 03:49:22 PM »
This also has been widely debunked.
https://www.thetrace.org/2022/06/defensive-gun-use-data-good-guys-with-guns/
https://www.rand.org/research/gun-policy/analysis/essays/defensive-gun-use.html

Anyone with common sense would understand why. If just the 1.5 million number were correct, that would mean guns stop a crime from occurring 4,109 times a day every single day. Or 171 times every hour, 24 hours a day. Or three times every single minute of every singe day, a gun is used to stop a crime.
Well, I was walking down the street, people must have thought I had a gun in my pocket, and about 40 or 50 people did not attack me. So does that count?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #131 on: February 09, 2024, 07:24:19 AM »
I will remind you that the FBI and CDC"s  own numbers suggest that the presence of a gun either stops or prevents a crime in the U.S. from 1.5MM to 2MM times each year. There are far more law abiding citizens than criminals.

Ive shared this with you previously.  That number is based on a 1994 phone survey where 19 out of around 4000 gun owners surveyed claimed without proof that they had used their gun to stop a crime in the past year.  The researchers then decided this was generalizable to the who country which is of course ridiculous. This study is also not " the CDCs/FBIs own numbers" it was refrenced on their websites
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #132 on: February 09, 2024, 07:58:09 AM »
regardless of the numbers of crimes stopped because the intended victims had guns or not-if you or someone you cared about was involved in a crime and it was stopped because someone near by or the victim themself had a gun, that is good, no?  last checked, guns are legal.  yes they are used for bad chit as well, but so are many other "things". 

your wife or daughter is being raped, kids, loved ones lives being threatened, whatever...at least you had a chance.  no gun? oh, call the po leese.  if/when they get there, arrest the perp only to see him/her walk out the door before the report has been written up.  then you are left to pick up the pieces, plan psychological care, funerals etc...if you are alive to do so
felz Houston ate uncle boozie's hands

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #133 on: February 09, 2024, 08:01:31 AM »
regardless of the numbers of crimes stopped because the intended victims had guns or not-if you or someone you cared about was involved in a crime and it was stopped because someone near by or the victim themself had a gun, that is good, no?  last checked, guns are legal.  yes they are used for bad chit as well, but so are many other "things". 

your wife or daughter is being raped, kids, loved ones lives being threatened, whatever...at least you had a chance.  no gun? oh, call the po leese.  if/when they get there, arrest the perp only to see him/her walk out the door before the report has been written up.  then you are left to pick up the pieces, plan psychological care, funerals etc...if you are alive to do so
Question, do you feel there should be tougher red flag laws, a national registry, mandatory licensing  and training?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #134 on: February 09, 2024, 08:01:44 AM »

::) ::) ::) Yes. Let's stop enacting policy by statistical evidence and the like. Let's do it by feelings and anecdotes.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #135 on: February 09, 2024, 08:02:37 AM »

Of course it's good.  But that wasn't the point. 

Also, I think you overestimate the number of times the situation you're describing happens.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #136 on: February 09, 2024, 08:08:29 AM »
Of course it's good.  But that wasn't the point. 

Also, I think you overestimate the number of times the situation you're describing happens.

not overestimating just saying.  for me, all it has to do is happen once.

there are unintended consequences with A LOT of things.  if we prosecuted bad people expediently, bad stuff would occur less often.  if bad behavior ain't addressed properly, you will see more of it

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #137 on: February 09, 2024, 08:14:22 AM »

there are unintended consequences with A LOT of things.  if we prosecuted bad people expediently, bad stuff would occur less often.  if bad behavior ain't addressed properly, you will see more of it

🤔
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #138 on: February 09, 2024, 08:14:23 AM »

No. That's dumb. You don't base policy because something might happen once.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #139 on: February 09, 2024, 09:00:29 AM »

....So if someone could kill dozens of people with a legally purchased gun doesb that only need to happen once too?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #140 on: February 09, 2024, 11:03:52 AM »

If a loved one is gunned down while enjoying a Fourth of July parade, or if your wife or daughter is raped at gunpoint by a lunatic who should have been flagged and not sold a gun ... I guess such stuff is fine with you because, you know, guns are legal.

Also, nice job ignoring this:

Question, do you feel there should be tougher red flag laws, a national registry, mandatory licensing  and training?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #141 on: February 11, 2024, 04:07:00 PM »
Shooting today at Joel Osteen’s megachurch in Houston.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #142 on: February 11, 2024, 04:25:02 PM »
Shooting today at Joel Osteen’s megachurch in Houston.

I bet it's someone who "donated" their life savings, or had a relative "donate" their life savings to that conman.

Basically the same origin story of the Shinzo Abe assassin.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #143 on: February 12, 2024, 12:56:28 AM »
I bet it's someone who "donated" their life savings, or had a relative "donate" their life savings to that conman.

Remains somewhat remarkable how the Abe incident actually ended up revealing a lot of sketchy things in Japanese gov and got sweeping policy changes to restrict the UC organization, as well as shuffling their cabinet.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #144 on: February 12, 2024, 04:53:56 AM »

Read the lengthy article written last year in the Atlantic about the Abe assassination and the Moonies.  Yikes!

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #145 on: February 12, 2024, 10:16:02 AM »

Remains somewhat remarkable how the Abe incident actually ended up revealing a lot of sketchy things in Japanese gov and got sweeping policy changes to restrict the UC organization, as well as shuffling their cabinet.

In terms of "did the assassin effectuate the political change he desired with his action" the Abe situation might actually be the one I can think of where it kinda worked.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #146 on: February 12, 2024, 12:24:04 PM »
In terms of "did the assassin effectuate the political change he desired with his action" the Abe situation might actually be the one I can think of where it kinda worked.

Seriously! It might be the most effective assassination in modern history in terms of minimal collateral damage and getting what he wanted. All while using a gun from Fallout

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #147 on: February 12, 2024, 01:56:39 PM »
 the shooter in the joel osteen church was born as a man with "free palestine" on his/her rifle

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #148 on: February 12, 2024, 02:28:51 PM »
Somehow I knew you'd be posting this^

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #149 on: February 12, 2024, 02:35:09 PM »
the shooter in the joel osteen church was born as a man with "free palestine" on his/her rifle

Cool.
Now 0.14 percent of mass shooters are transgender.

feedback