Incoming freshmen by MUbiz
[Today at 10:49:35 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: St. Thomas game on FS1  (Read 12428 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: St. Thomas game on FS1
« Reply #125 on: December 14, 2023, 06:53:43 AM »
OK, have a Tommie for a brother.

The assumption that St. Thomas could never be a serious Division 1 competitor lacks any sense of perspective. I'm amazed at folks from Marquette, of all places, suggesting the Tommies have no chance.

Reality 1: St. Thomas is not far off the same size as Gonzaga, Marquette, Villanova, Georgetown etc. In 1978, if someone said Georgetown would win the national championship just a few years later, you'd have been laughed out of college basketball.

Reality 2: This is not CFP football. A good head coach, two or three three-stars and you've got the making of an NCAA tournament team, especially if you coach up the rest of your team. Peoples Exhibit I -- The Badgers! I hate those rodents but the team lacks burger boys and it's talent is slightly better than average. Yet, Greg Gard gets the most of them.

Reality 3: While the "U" is the media king of the Twin Cities, why is that? Possibly because no other school has been "as good" as the "U". I'll bet if the Tommies hired their version of Shaka, won consistently and beat the likes of Villanova or UConn, they'd pack their arena and the community would rally around them! They'd find a way to be on FoxSports12 or something.

We are a school whose basketball team was headed for the mud we now think St. Thomas was in as recently as, I don't know, five years ago! The difference is they're growing and we were badly regressing. We were able to bring Coach Shaka in and, guess what ... we're back!

Maybe they'll find their version of Coach Shaka and... look out!

Yo, put down the drugs, man.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #126 on: December 14, 2023, 06:55:29 AM »
It isn't Brutalist.  It's hideous, but it's not Brutalist.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #127 on: December 14, 2023, 06:56:06 AM »
Like others, I have a hard time seeing St. Thomas jump into Big East territory anytime soon. I think a much more realistic goal is the MVC.

That being said, there is a chance for the Tommies to gain some momentum. Interest level in Gopher hoops has to be at or near an all-time low. There is a lot of talent that has left the Twin Cities in the last few years ... can Tauer convince some of it to come back home through a transfer?

The portal, of course, is a double-edge sword. It's going to be more difficult for emerging mid-majors like St. Thomas to build their program if they have to worry about kids jumping every year.

Right, but the thing is Minnesota is one good hire away from being interesting.  A lot more has to go right for the Tommies.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #128 on: December 14, 2023, 06:58:13 AM »

I'd have gone with Keno or a Bingo card, but very well done.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #129 on: December 14, 2023, 08:06:15 AM »
5 pages of crapping on the Tommie’s Big East aspirations, is that all the vibe killing hubris we got this game?

Step it up - last chance for conference play?

« Last Edit: December 14, 2023, 08:12:08 AM by PointWarrior »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #130 on: December 14, 2023, 08:45:34 AM »
Right, but the thing is Minnesota is one good hire away from being interesting.  A lot more has to go right for the Tommies.

AD and administration issues as well. It’s bad
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #131 on: December 14, 2023, 09:12:22 AM »
Personally, I hope they're successful in getting their program to the caliber of a Big East program.  NCAABB could use more programs like the ones you find in the BE, it would make the entire sport better if that happened.  And more than that, if they're successful in getting to that point, I'd gladly take any school that gets there.

The trick is actually getting to that point, but let those schools who have that aspiration figure that part out.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #132 on: December 14, 2023, 10:24:06 AM »

Gang, it was cutting edge artistic design when it was planned in the 1960s.

The moral of the story is to think beyond contemporary design. The language center was so hot it was featured on the cover of the catalog of classes given me in 1974. I get it, today's it's ugly as sin.

But it can't be torn down! It's where I met Ms. Dgies while we both were at MU!!!!!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #133 on: December 14, 2023, 11:07:05 AM »

The moral of the story is to think beyond contemporary design. The language center was so hot it was featured on the cover of the catalog of classes given me in 1974. I get it, today's it's ugly as sin.

But it can't be torn down! It's where I met Ms. Dgies while we both were at MU!!!!!

I thought I heard her say burn that sucker down.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #134 on: December 14, 2023, 11:56:57 AM »
I like that we have Lalumiere. I wouldn't want the entire campus to look like it but it brings some character not offered by a bunch of plainish brick and glass buildings.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #135 on: December 14, 2023, 12:07:22 PM »

I thought it was ugly when it was built ('70 alumnus,) but I get it. For you, it's a shrine.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2023, 02:39:10 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #136 on: December 14, 2023, 01:38:51 PM »
I hear St. Thomas has another game on FS1 tonight?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #137 on: December 14, 2023, 06:52:15 PM »
It's just a reminder that eggs can happen.  I fully expect we will take care or business.
Dgies hates eggs
Goal is National Championship