Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New tier of Division 1 for NIL  (Read 5104 times)

SaveOD238

• All American
New tier of Division 1 for NIL
« on: December 05, 2023, 11:10:53 AM »
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/39047353/ncaa-proposes-rule-let-schools-athletes-enter-nil-deals

I've been hearing about this idea for a while, but now that it's coming straight from the source (NCAA Prez Charlie Baker), it seems like a plan like this might have some legs.  NIL has clearly changed the playing field for major college athletics, but it has opened a lot of doors that this move might be able to solve.

Let's be honest, the BTD collective has been great for MU's recruiting efforts and supporting some local causes, but we all know what it really is doing: paying the players to play.  This new plan would remove the perverse incentives and just bring everything back out into the open.  Plus it would make it easier for governing bodies (namely the NCAA) to monitor and make rules that promote some level of competitive fairness between similar institutions.  I can't imagine that anyone (other than the QBs themselves) wants to continue to see the college QB carousel every offseason due to the $1-$2M NIL deals being thrown at transfers.

Additionally, Title IX will force NIL to also benefit female athletics.  It's great that MU's NIL collective has sponsored our women's basketball players, but there is no legal reason why NIL collectives have to do so.  If, however, it's the athletic departments paying players, then they will be required to compensate women equally by Title IX regulations.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: New tier of Division 1 for NIL
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2023, 11:35:49 AM »
Sure Pay the players. Remove the scholarships and make them pay sticker price.

They're already Recieving what amounts to hundreds of thousands of dollars for a game that essentially amounts to a marketing channel while the students being marketed to are being told at 18 to sign up to take on insane loans to a school thats increasing its Cost of attendance at an insane rate while entry and mid level salaries aren't going up. No, screw paying the players on top of their scholarships.
Maigh Eo for Sam

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2023, 11:42:22 AM »
This part:
The top schools, which according to the letter are more impacted "by collectives, the Transfer Portal and NIL," would be allowed to create their own set of rules to help police those areas of the market for college athletes in unique ways.

Yeah, that sounds like it will work. I want Bill Self to head this committee.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2023, 11:46:40 AM »

They're already Recieving what amounts to hundreds of thousands of dollars for a game that essentially amounts to a marketing channel while the students being marketed to are being told at 18 to sign up to take on insane loans to a school thats increasing its Cost of attendance at an insane rate while entry and mid level salaries aren't going up. No, screw paying the players on top of their scholarships.

Lol.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2023, 11:53:02 AM »

Any time someone says this I know their argument isn't serious. "What amounts to" isn't something you can spend, isn't something you can use to feed your family, isn't something you can pay rent with.

Are costs of attendance at a ridiculous level? Yes. Is the student loan process broken? Yes. Should that be piled on top of the student athletes who are already essentially working a full time job in addition to full time class? No. These are two separate issues and conflating them is just silly.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2023, 11:54:12 AM »

Silliness.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2023, 12:04:30 PM »
Any time someone says this I know their argument isn't serious. "What amounts to" isn't something you can spend, isn't something you can use to feed your family, isn't something you can pay rent with.

Are costs of attendance at a ridiculous level? Yes. Is the student loan process broken? Yes. Should that be piled on top of the student athletes who are already essentially working a full time job in addition to full time class? No. These are two separate issues and conflating them is just silly.

Do all these kids get into these top tier schools if they aren't good at a sport? No. Duke alone turns down an insane amount of valedictorians every year and yet you get guys with less than stellar GPAs in the programs, from less than stellar schools. Value of priority admission? I'd say fairly high.

It is something you can pay rent with as housing is included. You're right it's not something you can feed your family with. What it though is the money your average student is paying well into their middle aged years for attending insanely bloated cost of universities right now. Isn't something you can spend? no but not having loans or rent again frees up expenses so you can spend. Having basic needs and no debt and connections is payment in the future funds that it'll set aside.

Full time job? Does that devalue the cost? If I go back to get an MBA do I get a different cost structure because I to am a full time employee? Do students working 3 jobs to make ends meet who are the same age as these athletes get a break because they're full time employees?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 12:16:21 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2023, 12:12:20 PM »
This part:
The top schools, which according to the letter are more impacted "by collectives, the Transfer Portal and NIL," would be allowed to create their own set of rules to help police those areas of the market for college athletes in unique ways.

Yeah, that sounds like it will work. I want Bill Self to head this committee.

Dog, it can't be one guy. He'd need a committee, say Calipari, Miller, Pearl and Pitino.

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2023, 12:55:41 PM »
This seems like a pretty clear olive branch from the NCAA to the SEC and Big 10: “Don’t break away and we’ll let your football programs do whatever they want and you can set the rules of the game.”  If it helps prevent football from ruining all of college sports (as opposed to just itself), then I’m all for it.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2023, 12:57:13 PM »

You can make your point without going to the same level of ridiculousness. I know someone isn't serious when they base their argument on the premise that a meaningful number of student athletes live in abject poverty (can't pay rent or feed themselves).

Let's say that employees and sometimes children of employees are given free tuition and leave it at that.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2023, 01:00:11 PM »
You can make your point without going to the same level of ridiculousness. I know someone isn't serious when they base their argument on the premise that a meaningful number of student athletes live in abject poverty (can't pay rent or feed themselves).

Let's say that employees and sometimes children of employees are given free tuition and leave it at that.

The sham of amateurism and its proponents clinging to the cost of an education is quite humorous to me
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2023, 01:07:02 PM »
The sham of amateurism and its proponents clinging to the cost of an education is quite humorous to me
Is anyone clinging to the idea or concept of amateurism any more?

I assume you are not discounting the value of a college degree?   

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2023, 01:08:30 PM »
Make the players employees already.

Stop the sham of student athletes.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2023, 01:17:09 PM »

Eh. The marketplace says a scholarship isn't enough compensation.  I'm not sure why it bothers you that others can earn $$ off of their talents.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 01:19:37 PM by The Sultan of Semantics »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2023, 01:26:59 PM »
Additionally, Title IX will force NIL to also benefit female athletics.  It's great that MU's NIL collective has sponsored our women's basketball players, but there is no legal reason why NIL collectives have to do so.  If, however, it's the athletic departments paying players, then they will be required to compensate women equally by Title IX regulations.

It absolutely does not. Title IX only applies to educational institutions. NIL is independent of any school and can act as they wish.

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2023, 01:31:31 PM »
It absolutely does not. Title IX only applies to educational institutions. NIL is independent of any school and can act as they wish.

I’m not sure if the new proposal would prohibit collectives from also paying players, but I think the point is that the schools themselves would have to pay male and female students equally to the extent they are making payments directly.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2023, 01:37:22 PM »

Eh. The marketplace says a scholarship isn't enough compensation.  I'm not sure why it bothers you that others can earn $$ off of their talents.
True for a small number of college athletes.

Not true for the vast majority.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2023, 01:41:56 PM »
Make the players employees already.

Stop the sham of student athletes.

Yes! And fire them if they don’t play to perceived potential or there is a different player you want to bring in tomorrow! #FreeMarket
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2023, 01:44:26 PM »

Yep. And your point?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2023, 01:51:44 PM »
I think we should also make sure that anyone who receives any type of scholarship is not able to make any money that goes into their bank account.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2023, 02:02:09 PM »

Yep. And your point?
Just clarifying. And I agree whether it is scholarships or NIL or pay checks, it's not really our business what two private parties agree to. Nobody is being forced to do anything.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 02:58:45 PM by WhiteTrash »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2023, 02:42:40 PM »
Just clarifying. And I agree weather it is scholarships or NIL or pay checks, it's not really our business what two private parties agree to. Nobody is being forced to do anything.

*whether
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2023, 02:44:28 PM »

Which is exactly the point of the new tier.  The schools where the athletes are able to earn higher compensation get a different set of rules from Div 2, Div 3, and the lower tiers of Div 1

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2023, 03:01:56 PM »
Which is exactly the point of the new tier.  The schools where the athletes are able to earn higher compensation get a different set of rules from Div 2, Div 3, and the lower tiers of Div 1
Yep.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2023, 03:13:51 PM »
Wonder what these new "rules" will be, and why D2 etc cant use the same rules.