[Today at 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:31:50 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[Today at 10:56:27 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by Herman Cain
[June 07, 2024, 09:51:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Zaide  (Read 8497 times)

BCHoopster

• All American
Re: Zaide
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2023, 10:07:47 AM »
Zaide has a bright future.  This roster is just too good for freshman like Tre and Zaide to have much impact.

I give Shaka credit for recruiting good players that will play minimal minutes as freshman, usually freshman want to play more.  Not easy.  Parham and Owen will see more time next year since Oso is leaving. Not sold on Amadeu yet, nice to see has hops, not sure what else he brings to the offensive end, can he dribble? Athletically he reminds me of Itejere right now.  He should have redshirted.

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2023, 10:09:53 AM »
Stevie will still start.  But your concept is spot on.   

And he'll still be airballing wide open jump shots

tower912

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2023, 10:15:42 AM »
And he'll still be airballing wide open jump shots
And winning games.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2023, 10:44:41 AM »
This should probably have its own thread but ...

Yeah, is it heresy for me to say that Chase hasn't quite met expectations this season?

He's been fine, good even, but when I heard Shaka call him the most improved player during the preseason work, I expected to see a major step up - maybe not like Kolek and Oso last season, but at least like Joplin. Indeed, it's Sean Jones' improvement that has been eye-opening so far.

Chase is shooting .286 from 3, he's forcing things a bit on offense (especially if he hasn't scored in awhile and feels he "needs" a bucket), he's had hardly any "did you see that?" plays, stuff like that.

It's early, he's obviously talented, he did have a very nice game against Kansas, and Shaka sees him everyday so he knows a lot more about him than I do. Plus it's early.

Maybe he officially launches his 6th Man of the Year campaign at Madison. We could use it!

I agree. 

The one thing that I will say, though, is that Chase is the top guard/wing in terms of willingness to attack the rim and finish through contact/drawing fouls. 

Kam and Kolek are both great finishers, but their craftiness around the hoop often means that they can score without enough contact to draw a foul--they both use those scoop shots and use their bodies to shield off the defender--entirely effective, but makes it easier for refs to allow the contact without a foul.

Chase, though, has shown a number of moments when he senses a weakness in the defense and attacks the rim hard--both in transition and in the half-court.  His speed/explosiveness puts the D into tough situations that they have to foul.  That has helped him to shoot the 3rd highest total of FTs so far, despite having the lowest usage rate of all the regulars--and he has done well at the line, making nearly 80%. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2023, 10:50:49 AM »
I agree. 

The one thing that I will say, though, is that Chase is the top guard/wing in terms of willingness to attack the rim and finish through contact/drawing fouls. 

Kam and Kolek are both great finishers, but their craftiness around the hoop often means that they can score without enough contact to draw a foul--they both use those scoop shots and use their bodies to shield off the defender--entirely effective, but makes it easier for refs to allow the contact without a foul.

Chase, though, has shown a number of moments when he senses a weakness in the defense and attacks the rim hard--both in transition and in the half-court.  His speed/explosiveness puts the D into tough situations that they have to foul.  That has helped him to shoot the 3rd highest total of FTs so far, despite having the lowest usage rate of all the regulars--and he has done well at the line, making nearly 80%.

Good points.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2023, 10:54:25 AM »
I give Shaka credit for recruiting good players that will play minimal minutes as freshman, usually freshman want to play more.  Not easy.  Parham and Owen will see more time next year since Oso is leaving. Not sold on Amadeu yet, nice to see has hops, not sure what else he brings to the offensive end, can he dribble? Athletically he reminds me of Itejere right now.  He should have redshirted.
*sadtrombone*
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2023, 11:00:12 AM »
Athletically he reminds me of Itejere right now.  He should have redshirted.
When Omax remained in the draft, that was no longer an option.

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2023, 11:05:56 AM »

They needed a third big that is available. It was either Al or Caedin. But Caedin was going to a prep school until June. Al made more sense.

Being limited offensivly isn't a bad thing with the offensive creators we have. Theo, Oso, Sean Jones, Juan Anderson, Stevie. They were all negative offensive players as freshmen. But i wouldn't be surprised if Al is a better defender as a freshman than everyone on that list. Theo fouled every other posession as a freshman and Juan took some time to be better.

Al can fly all over that court. I wouldn't want him going head to head with a true center at this point. But i could see Al being essential next year in helping Ben Gold be viable againist really good bigs next year.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2023, 11:09:33 AM »
And winning games.
Winning is overrated. I just wish MU had deadeye shooters like Wahl, Klesmit, Crowl, Gilmore, etc. Like nlw, I'd rather lose the white right way.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2023, 11:11:24 AM »
NLW needs a bad MU loss so he can bring up what a good start Moser has had this season.

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2023, 11:47:28 AM »
Is NLW a meateater?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2023, 11:49:47 AM »
Is NLW a meateater?
And a dentist, I would assume

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2023, 11:56:37 AM »
This should probably have its own thread but ...

Yeah, is it heresy for me to say that Chase hasn't quite met expectations this season?

He's been fine, good even, but when I heard Shaka call him the most improved player during the preseason work, I expected to see a major step up - maybe not like Kolek and Oso last season, but at least like Joplin. Indeed, it's Sean Jones' improvement that has been eye-opening so far.

Chase is shooting .286 from 3, he's forcing things a bit on offense (especially if he hasn't scored in awhile and feels he "needs" a bucket), he's had hardly any "did you see that?" plays, stuff like that.

It's early, he's obviously talented, he did have a very nice game against Kansas, and Shaka sees him everyday so he knows a lot more about him than I do. Plus it's early.

Maybe he officially launches his 6th Man of the Year campaign at Madison. We could use it!

Totally agree and almost brought this up in original post, as while Chase is very athletic, it is a different kind of athletic - one I would suggest is the elite athleticism possessed by football players versus a basketball player.   There is just a difference.

DJO is a good comp for Chase’s athleticism - both very athletic but I would say more in the straight line sense versus great lateral athleticism. Zaide has “pogo stick” type of athleticism..super quick off the ground.

I think Chase will be a very good player during his time at MU, but I don’t see superstar written all over him like I do Zaide. Hope I’m wrong on this though and that Chase does blossom into a full blown superstar.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 11:58:11 AM by Elonsmusk »

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2023, 12:06:15 PM »
NLW needs a bad MU loss so he can bring up what a good start Moser has had this season.

The bracket simulation of Lundardi's recent one has Oklahoma beating Marquette to go to the s16. So he's probably looking at that right now.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2023, 12:41:01 PM »
I was impressed with Amadou. Yeah, it was Southern, but playing the Sophs and Freshman for most of the 2nd half was impressive.

Why? The only time he touched the ball in the half court offense was on the 3 lobs. Otherwise, he was completely lost. Defensively, he was lost as well.

That is fine right now for a guy who is only gonna play in garbage time. The one thing I did like about Amadou (and it bodes well for his future) were his hands. Whether it was alley oops or rebounds, when the ball touched his hands, it stuck. I think that by his junior year, he is gonna be an outstanding rebounder.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2023, 01:08:19 PM »
Jockey

Two plays stuck out to me last night, a very powerful defensive rebound by Oso and the one handed rebound by Al after a missed free throw. I thought the one fast break with three touch passes near the basket and the Kolek over shoulder pass to Oso who tapped out for a wide open three were things of beauty, but I really loved those two rebounds.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2023, 01:48:52 PM »
Jockey

Two plays stuck out to me last night, a very powerful defensive rebound by Oso and the one handed rebound by Al after a missed free throw. I thought the one fast break with three touch passes near the basket and the Kolek over shoulder pass to Oso who tapped out for a wide open three were things of beauty, but I really loved those two rebounds.

Goose, that was one of the plays I was referring to with Al. We have all seen this team constantly lose the ball under the basket on rebounds that go off a guy's hands. I think Al may change that in a couple years.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2023, 04:42:27 PM »
I took Oso, Kam, and Kolek leaving and inferred that it would be after this season.  I fully expect Stevie back next season.

Where else would he go?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2023, 05:29:25 PM »
Where else would he go?

The BOARDROOM!!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2023, 08:46:23 PM »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2023, 01:16:50 PM »
I took Oso, Kam, and Kolek leaving and inferred that it would be after this season.  I fully expect Stevie back next season.

And where would Kam be going? It won't be to the league

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2023, 06:26:04 PM »
And where would Kam be going? It won't be to the league

Maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong. Kam's got game.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2024, 08:06:16 PM »
His rebounding for a guard is SPECIAL. Knack for where it’s going and elevates easily.

I’m imagining a lineup of Zaide at the 2, Owens at the 3, Parham at the 4 in a few years and thinking we can win rebounding battles and still turn teams over.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2024, 08:07:23 PM »
His rebounding for a guard is SPECIAL. Knack for where it’s going and elevates easily.

I’m imagining a lineup of Zaide at the 2, Owens at the 3, Parham at the 4 in a few years and thinking we can win rebounding battles and still turn teams over.

100%. Just mentioned his rebounding in the game thread.

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2024, 08:33:32 PM »
He has been great tonight!