Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 Coaching Carousel  (Read 147464 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: 2024 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #375 on: February 04, 2024, 08:59:34 AM »
lol at thinking going from Cincinnati to Louisville is a step down

And Utah to Minnesota.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #376 on: February 04, 2024, 09:00:33 AM »
lol at thinking going from Cincinnati to Louisville is a step down
Agreed.

That's not what I wrote. In fact I didn't say any were steps down. "Lateral" moves in terms of power conferences with some noted moves to schools in worse conferences (relative to the P5).

Assuming Louisville is regrouping and figuring out it's financial issues, that one makes the most sense (hence the statement "Not saying any one could happen"). But I would not be surprised to see Louisville hire a non-P5 HC at a reasonable salary. FAU's HC?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #377 on: February 04, 2024, 09:03:25 AM »
Agreed.

That's not what I wrote. In fact I didn't say any were steps down. "Lateral" moves in terms of power conferences with some noted moves to schools in worse conferences (relative to the P5).

Assuming Louisville is regrouping and figuring out it's financial issues, that one makes the most sense (hence the statement "Not saying any one could happen"). But I would not be surprised to see Louisville hire a non-P5 HC at a reasonable salary. FAU's HC?

Fine.  You said big step down in conference which doesn’t matter when Louisville is still a top job regardless of conference.

And Minnesota will have far more money than Utah to spend moving forward. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #378 on: February 04, 2024, 09:04:46 AM »
And Utah to Minnesota.
I'm going to chalk this up to people not having their coffee yet.

Re-read the post.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #379 on: February 04, 2024, 09:15:52 AM »
Fine.  You said big step down in conference which doesn’t matter when Louisville is still a top job regardless of conference.

And Minnesota will have far more money than Utah to spend moving forward.
We may or may not disagree on the individual opening; my point was the "lists" of replacement year-in and year-out project way more coaches moving between P5 jobs than actually happens.

While I would never, ever, underestimate the power of money, if it is as simple as dollars, Shaka days at MU are numbered. I don't see how he is not coaching at Penn State or Vanderbilt soon.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #380 on: February 04, 2024, 09:20:22 AM »
We may or may not disagree on the individual opening; my point was the "lists" of replacement year-in and year-out project way more coaches moving between P5 jobs than actually happens.

While I would never, ever, underestimate the power of money, if it is as simple as dollars, Shaka days at MU are numbered. I don't see how he is not coaching at Penn State or Vanderbilt soon.

Craig Smith was born in Minnesota and was attached to the job when it was open in ‘21. 

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #381 on: February 04, 2024, 09:22:00 AM »
Would McDermott want the Ohio State job if offered?  He always struck me as a Creighton lifer.
Didn’t he reportedly turn it down the last time it was open?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #382 on: February 04, 2024, 09:23:40 AM »
I'm going to chalk this up to people not having their coffee yet.

Re-read the post.

You said “step down in conference.” It isn’t.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #383 on: February 04, 2024, 09:27:25 AM »
You said “step down in conference.” It isn’t.
Big10 better than B12? Interesting take.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #384 on: February 04, 2024, 09:31:23 AM »
Big10 better than B12? Interesting take.

That’s not what he said.  The Big 12 might be a better basketball conference but let’s not act like it’s going from the Big 12 to the Colonoal.  The Big Ten is plenty good enough

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #385 on: February 04, 2024, 09:49:31 AM »
That’s not what he said.  The Big 12 might be a better basketball conference but let’s not act like it’s going from the Big 12 to the Colonoal.  The Big Ten is plenty good enough
I agree with that. You made my point better than I did. Going from Utah to Minny is not like going from Siena to Villanova. Utah is plenty good enough compared to Minny.

Again, I'm not getting into the individual cases, like a guy being from Minnesota, I'm pointing out the movement within the P5 HCs is not a common as fans and media like to project.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #386 on: February 04, 2024, 10:09:00 AM »
Didn’t he reportedly turn it down the last time it was open?

I think they picked Holtmann over him.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MurphysTillClose

• Starter
« Reply #387 on: February 04, 2024, 10:15:19 AM »
The Muss bus will be coaching L’Ville next year anyways. Then the dominoes will fall. This is a fun argument to follow though.

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #388 on: February 04, 2024, 10:15:42 AM »
Wasn’t the step down in conference a reference to going from the Big 12 (Cincinnati) vs. the ACC (Louisville)?  That is now an accurate statement although the Louisville job is still better.

I thought Cincinnati and Louisville were in the Metro Conference…

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #389 on: February 04, 2024, 10:29:10 AM »
Wasn’t the step down in conference a reference to going from the Big 12 (Cincinnati) vs. the ACC (Louisville)?  That is now an accurate statement although the Louisville job is still better.

I thought Cincinnati and Louisville were in the Metro Conference…
It was in reference to B12 v ACC. The point is not to say definitively L'ville is not better than Cincy, but not nearly the same as when Cincy was AAC. The B12 generates more money than the ACC (and the gap will only grow) so Cincy can be a very good job and frankly Louisville is not what it used to be. But in my opinion Louisville is the better job and money doesn't always make a better job. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #390 on: February 04, 2024, 10:32:24 AM »
It was in reference to B12 v ACC. The point is not to say definitively L'ville is not better than Cincy, but not nearly the same as when Cincy was AAC. The B12 generates more money than the ACC (and the gap will only grow) so Cincy can be a very good job and frankly Louisville is not what it used to be. But in my opinion Louisville is the better job and money doesn't always make a better job.

It’s hands down a better job than Cincinnati

JTJ3

• Team Captain
« Reply #391 on: February 04, 2024, 11:00:15 AM »
We'll see if Louisville makes a run at Shaka like many of their reporters have alluded to.  Im not worried but Louisville has a lot of money to offer.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #392 on: February 04, 2024, 11:39:20 AM »
We'll see if Louisville makes a run at Shaka like many of their reporters have alluded to.  Im not worried but Louisville has a lot of money to offer.
I would be shocked if he went to Louisville.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #393 on: February 04, 2024, 11:47:06 AM »
The lists I've seen includes Shaka, Wright, Sampson, Dan Hurley, Few, Scott Drew and Oates.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #394 on: February 04, 2024, 11:48:24 AM »
Is that all?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #395 on: February 04, 2024, 11:55:45 AM »

I'm not concerned.  At Texas, he got out of Dodge before the sheriff arrived.  After building up a ton of goodwill at Marquette, why leave for a place like Louisville?  Look at what they did to Chris Mack.

I think the coaching pendulum is swinging towards staying in stable situations instead of always pursuing the next job.  Why leave to be the next Tom Crean or Chris Mack, when you can stay and be the next Jay Wright?

Places like Louisville and Ohio State can dream of landing Shaka.  They can send out feelers to gage interest.  But ultimately, I think MU ponies up some cash and Shaka stays.  To quote the man himself, "this is the place to be."

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #396 on: February 04, 2024, 12:00:34 PM »
Is that all?
Right?
The list was that impressive when they hired Payne.
I think Louisville is a terrific job; great tradition, great facilities, great fans, little academic concerns and a very good conference. It should be interesting. Also, lots of speculation that Payne is still there due financial issues.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #397 on: February 04, 2024, 12:04:12 PM »
I’d guess there are very few (<6) jobs that Shaka would consider and that Louisville isn’t one of them. Ohio State certainly is not.

Even if one of those very few opened up this offseason, it’s hard to imagine him walking away given the state of this program. Probably something we don’t have to worry about for at least a few more seasons.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 12:06:19 PM by Tyler COLEk »

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #398 on: February 04, 2024, 12:21:18 PM »
I’d guess there are very few (<6) jobs that Shaka would consider and that Louisville isn’t one of them. Ohio State certainly is not.

Even if one of those very few opened up this offseason, it’s hard to imagine him walking away given the state of this program. Probably something we don’t have to worry about for at least a few more seasons.
Would you put Kentucky in that short list?

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #399 on: February 04, 2024, 12:31:58 PM »
Would you put Kentucky in that short list?

Yes — I almost mentioned Kentucky as a specific example for this offseason. That would be a real test anytime it opens up, but again, I just can’t see Shaka leaving after these three seasons.

It’s clear relationships between coaches, admin, and boosters are very good right now. Money isn’t going to be an issue. Lord knows the future couldn’t be brighter in terms of player talent and chemistry. The only x-factor I could think of is how Shaka and his family are enjoying living in MKE. If for some reason in the future they want to move (maybe back to the mid-Atlantic), that could spell trouble. But there’s no indication we have cause for concern there.

feedback