Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 Coaching Carousel  (Read 147141 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: 2024 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #175 on: January 22, 2024, 07:21:56 PM »
Am I a “Catholic f*cks” too?

Pak is talking about the interview he gave in Cincinnati about Xavier last year.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #176 on: January 22, 2024, 07:25:31 PM »
Not sure if DePaul is salvageable. It seems like the type of person to salvage is a Kevin O’Neil type circa 1990. MU was not as bad as DePaul back then but we were close. MU also wasn’t as far removed from success either. A young, super energetic, proven recruiter seems like the type of guy who could possibly turn DePaul around. Would love to see Marquette against DePaul have some relevance again. Would be great for the Big East.

If Baylor was salvageable any program is.  That being said it takes serious $$$ and I question if DePaul has the organizational bandwidth to organize it and the alumni support.  Crazier things have happened though.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #177 on: January 22, 2024, 07:29:27 PM »
Not sure if DePaul is salvageable. It seems like the type of person to salvage is a Kevin O’Neil type circa 1990. MU was not as bad as DePaul back then but we were close. MU also wasn’t as far removed from success either. A young, super energetic, proven recruiter seems like the type of guy who could possibly turn DePaul around. Would love to see Marquette against DePaul have some relevance again. Would be great for the Big East.
UCONN was the worst of the Big East up until Jim Calhoun came along. Anything is possible. The huge caveat is the school itself being committed. The last few hires were DPU saying "we don't care about basketball". I seriously doubt that has changed.

Much like DePaul itself, I don't care about DePaul basketball. Every conference needs it's Vanderbilt or BC.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #178 on: January 22, 2024, 07:35:47 PM »
So what is the over/under on % of (DePaul)fans who show up to tomorrows game that know they fired their coach? 50%, 25%, 10%?

Judge Smails

• All American
« Reply #179 on: January 22, 2024, 07:40:00 PM »
So what is the over/under on % of (DePaul)fans who show up to tomorrows game that know they fired their coach? 50%, 25%, 10%?
I’m Chicago-based and tend to go to this game each year. It’s pretty much a home game for us.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #180 on: January 22, 2024, 07:50:23 PM »
If Im the decision maker at DeP, I go big. Get the biggest name I can. Cheap route D-2 guy, or someone from Shantytown State, no. It’s now or never. Spend big and roll it. There are some selling points…new practice facility coming (not sure where it’s at in terms of funding/planing…but coming), nice arena, albeit not walking distance from campus, but doable, and Chicago Chicago Chicago. Go big.

I know you might find this hard to believe, but there are potential coaches that might think having to move to Chicago is a negative.
Have some patience, FFS.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #181 on: January 22, 2024, 07:52:42 PM »
The amusing thing is that Athletic article came up within minutes of the firing. That was in the can and ready to go.

Sports Illustrated has not reported it as of now. Waiting for the Thursday addition.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #182 on: January 22, 2024, 08:10:24 PM »
I know you might find this hard to believe, but there are potential coaches that might think having to move to Chicago is a negative.

F*ck 'em

Viper

• All American
« Reply #183 on: January 22, 2024, 08:25:53 PM »
why would I find that hard to believe? I’m not a city guy. Not a fan of the city of Chicago, or Milwaukee, for that matter. However, there’s no denying that there is serious good high school basketball talent in Chicago. If a coach commits to relationship building and recruiting this local talent, imo it could be good. That’s what I meant by CHICAGO. But me personally a fan of the city? No. (And true, the hire will need to be the right personality, the right fit.)

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #184 on: January 22, 2024, 08:35:04 PM »
True, but on balance Chicago is a positive for most. Some would not like the Big East (cough..Buzz..cough) but on balance the Big East is a positive for most.

Judge Smails

• All American
« Reply #185 on: January 22, 2024, 08:38:38 PM »
With the exception of the crappy winters, Chicago is one of the best big cities in the U.S.  Reports of crime are overblown and more of perception rather than reality.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #186 on: January 22, 2024, 09:06:58 PM »
Pak is talking about the interview he gave in Cincinnati about Xavier last year.

Yes. Because of the pink d1ldoz
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #187 on: January 22, 2024, 09:23:25 PM »
Sports Illustrated has not reported it as of now. Waiting for the Thursday addition.
Check CNN+, I'll bet they have a story on it.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #188 on: January 22, 2024, 09:32:47 PM »

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #189 on: January 22, 2024, 09:59:30 PM »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #190 on: January 23, 2024, 08:03:31 AM »
Would Grant at Dayton be a candidate?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #191 on: January 23, 2024, 08:05:42 AM »
Would Grant at Dayton be a candidate?

Probably not. He's had one really good year there, the rest have been pretty mediocre...though this year is trending good obviously.  He wasn't great at Alabama either.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #192 on: January 23, 2024, 08:33:07 AM »
I still haven't forgotten the last time Marquette played at DePaul the game after firing Wainright:

Wainwright began the 2009–10 season as head coach, but was fired on January 11, 2010, after a 7–8 start to the season.[14] He still had two years remaining on his contract at the time of his firing. Wainwright finished with a 59–80 overall record in his five years at DePaul. Assistant coach Tracy Webster was named interim head coach for the remainder of the 2009–10 season and finished with a 1–15 record.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #193 on: January 23, 2024, 08:50:32 AM »
Grant is a Dayton alum.   It will take more than DePaul to pull him away.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #194 on: January 23, 2024, 08:52:08 AM »
Grant is a Dayton alum.   It will take more than DePaul to pull him away.

Throw in a Chevy Cavalier then.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #195 on: January 23, 2024, 09:06:14 AM »
Throw in a Chevy Cavalier then.

You mean a Dayton Bentley?

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #196 on: January 23, 2024, 09:34:32 AM »
I still haven't forgotten the last time Marquette played at DePaul the game after firing Wainright:

Oh shut up!
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #197 on: January 23, 2024, 09:37:10 AM »
If Baylor was salvageable any program is.  That being said it takes serious $$$ and I question if DePaul has the organizational bandwidth to organize it and the alumni support.  Crazier things have happened though.

I think that this is at the heart of it. It's always been important to hire a good coach. That requires either money or a really good eye for emerging talent. Or both.  A talented up-and-comer can get you started on the road, but they likely won't be around too long (and certainly won't be around to long if the money isn't there).

But with the recent developments in NIL, I think that the financial backing of a program is just so much more important than in the past. A young coach can be the best, most personable recruiter ever, but if he can't provide access to a solid NIL package, it's going to be very, very difficult to turn a program around.

If they are going to turn things around -- and that's a really big "if" -- DePaul is going to have to pony up for a new coach's salary, but they are also going to have to somehow tap into funds for players' NIL. I just don't think it's going to be possible to recruit players who will be competitive in the Big East without significant NIL resources.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #198 on: January 23, 2024, 09:51:04 AM »
There are some selling points…new practice facility coming (not sure where it’s at in terms of funding/planing…but coming), nice arena, albeit not walking distance from campus, but doable, and Chicago Chicago Chicago. Go big.

Given DePaul's history, what do you figure are the odds that a new practice facility opens during the next coach's tenure? The program isn't known for the longevity of it's head coaches. I saw one article indicating that "the demolition of buildings on site would not begin until Summer 2025 at the earliest" At the earliest. It's going to be a while. If DePaul begins to turn things around, their new coach will have his resume circulating within a couple years. If they don't begin to turn things around, they'll fire the new guy. I'd be very surprised if their next coach conducts a single practice in the new facility (and that's assuming that they actually build it).
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #199 on: January 23, 2024, 09:53:41 AM »
Given DePaul's history, what do you figure are the odds that a new practice facility opens during the next coach's tenure? The program isn't known for the longevity of it's head coaches. I saw one article indicating that "the demolition of buildings on site would not begin until Summer 2025 at the earliest" At the earliest. It's going to be a while. If DePaul begins to turn things around, their new coach will have his resume circulating within a couple years. If they don't begin to turn things around, they'll fire the new guy. I'd be very surprised if their next coach conducts a single practice in the new facility (and that's assuming that they actually build it).

Great point, the new person isn't walking into shiny new facilities they're walking into a transition period and recruiting guys who might be upper classmen when the facility opens.
Maigh Eo for Sam