'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Crean Speech to Current Team  (Read 7210 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Crean Speech to Current Team
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2023, 06:14:49 PM »
Yeah, people who still have a problem with Crean probably need to look in the mirror and engage in some self-reflection.

Crean sucks

Hello.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2023, 07:28:05 PM »
Actually I look in the mirror everyday and like what I see. I'm good, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2023, 07:28:43 PM »
Actually I look in the mirror everyday and like what I see. I'm good, hey?

I have no doubt about that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2023, 07:29:35 PM »
Absolutely, and right back at ya, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2023, 07:48:36 PM »
Don’t have a problem with Tom Crean.   He did great for the university when he was here (and what other coach besides Al stayed 9 years or more?) and he said once I think, “ I didn't leave for any other reason than I looked at Indiana as a pinnacle of coaching”. If he believed that, great.   None of us like the way he left, but he has been supportive of the university and Marquette basketball for a long time.  And never dissed Marquette, the big East or anything else.   

If he came back to Marquette in some capacity other than coach, I’m good,  love Shaka and hope he stays forever.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 09:07:46 PM by Daniel »

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2023, 08:33:49 PM »
For those who still insist on holding a grudge against Crean for, after 9 years here, taking a job at a blue blood college basketball program, they should never forget one thing. Al McGuire, the Patron Saint of Marquette basketball, would have been the head coach of the Bucks in 1968, had MU agreed to tearing up his existing contract. Luckily MU at the time was being run by a Jesuit with some starch in his backbone. If I remember the quote all these years later, the response was "we honor contracts both ways here, Coach. Now get your ass back to work."

So all Crean did was something Al tried to do 40 years earlier.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2023, 08:59:48 PM »
Scholl is 66 and I'd be surprised if he was around for more than 2-3 years. I don't think he'll still be here at 70. Crean is 57, younger than Scholl was when he got the job.

It's Broeker's job

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2023, 09:13:13 PM »
It's Broeker's job

Is it? I was thinking once he didn’t get it when Scholl was hired, that he may have a ceiling at MU.

Also, I think the former coach as an AD to shake hands and raise money is a thing of the past. I don’t think I’d want Crean at the table for realignment discussions. He did give us Gold after all.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2023, 05:40:49 AM »

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2023, 06:28:09 AM »
Why?

He has no administrative experience. Back in the day someone who could galdhand and fire up the fan base was all you needed, but these times call for a lot more.

UW kept Barry around too long and they fell behind in a number of significant areas. Sure he was a legend, but stuff like NIL just didn’t get off the ground with him there.

I would look at a guy like Craig Pintens. He’s an alum who used to oversee the marketing at Oregon athletics and is now the AD at Loyola Marymount. That’s the kind of profile you want as your next AD.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2023, 06:29:46 AM »
He has no administrative experience. Back in the day someone who could galdhand and fire up the fan base was all you needed, but these times call for a lot more.

UW kept Barry around too long and they fell behind in a number of significant areas. Sure he was a legend, but stuff like NIL just didn’t get off the ground with him there.

I would look at a guy like Craig Pintens. He’s an alum who used to oversee the marketing at Oregon athletics and is now the AD at Loyola Marymount. That’s the kind of profile you want as your next AD.

MU marketing could use a galdhander.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2023, 06:54:34 AM »
Some on the AD staff tell me they get PTSD when Crean shows up. He was quite the tool back then.

On the other hand, he is still super tight with his former players.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2023, 07:07:59 AM »
Some on the AD staff tell me they get PTSD when Crean shows up. He was quite the tool back then.

Marquette would have to increase its Ambius plant rental contract.

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2023, 07:58:41 AM »
He’s been a great ambassador of the program since he left.  He left for Indiana, not Virginia Tech.  TC always speaks very highly of MU and it’s great to see him visit.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2023, 08:15:49 AM »
HIRE CRAIG PINTENS!

But I think Broeker would be great too.

And I love the idea of Crean taking the old Jack Harbaugh gig.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2023, 08:17:05 AM »
He’s been a great ambassador of the program since he left.  He left for Indiana, not Virginia Tech.  TC always speaks very highly of MU and it’s great to see him visit.

Agreed.  I never met him.  I have no grudge against the man.  He did good things at MU and seems to understand the MU culture. 

I did find it mildly humorous that the IU gig didn’t go as well as expected for the IU fans.  I remember telling them at the time that he may not be as good of a hire as they thought he would be. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2023, 08:31:01 AM »

He’s changed A LOT from what I’ve seen. I think he’s been humbled in the 15 years since he left.  I remember thinking in the last 5 years, around the time he got the gig at UGA, that his interviews and media were so much more personable and relatable.  His appearances on Pardon My Take were great and that’s not really a venue where you can fake it.

He was full of himself and a weirdo off the court at Marquette, for sure.  But people grow up and develop into better versions of themselves.  And anyone who isn’t totally biased against him can see he still loves and cares about Marquette and it’s culture and it’s tradition. 

I agree he wouldn’t be a good AD choice, the days of a former football coach sliding right into the AD role, that happened all the time South, is gone.  But it would be a miss to not have him involved in the athletics department/marketing/fundraising in some way if he was interested

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2023, 09:04:32 AM »
That's good to hear Wags.  Yes, people do change.

Coaching is a quirky profession.  Crean certain fit the bill.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2023, 09:50:12 AM »
It’s going to take me some more time to come around on the tan one.  Has he dumped a big bag of coin into the NIL fund?

Not sure that is a fair expectation of any former coach. It was a nice gesture to visit the team.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2023, 09:52:07 AM »
That's "future Marquette Athletic Director Tom Crean."

Wouldn't be the worst hire, honestly. Dude knew how to fire up the fan base, fill arenas, did a lot of events, free giveaways, would give donuts to students lined up outside early morning games, etc. I know there's more to being an AD than that but he did seem to have a lot of genuine passion about getting everyone in the MU community engaged and excited.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 09:54:06 AM by Coleman »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2023, 10:43:26 AM »

Pintens would also be a great choice. He's the 1A on my list. Understands Marquette and how to run an athletic department at a similar university, but also has experience with a bigger program like Oregon.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2023, 10:54:03 AM »
Pintens would also be a great choice. He's the 1A on my list. Understands Marquette and how to run an athletic department at a similar university, but also has experience with a bigger program like Oregon.

And LSU.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2023, 10:58:28 AM »
Pintens may have gotten to soft out in Cali to survive Wisconsin winters.

MUbiz

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2023, 11:02:08 AM »
I attended MU during the Crean days (2007 grad). I was bitter as all hell when he left. That being said, the tan man has made multiple comments in the last handful of years about how special the MU job was to him and his family. Go watch the centennial hoopla videos and his press conference after the hoopla.  Obviously, the IU job back in 2008 is much different than the IU job today; but I got the sense if he had to do it again, he would not have left (hindsight is 20/20). I have looked for videos and have not seen Crean talking the same way about IU and UGA as he does MU.

As far as AD Tan man, I am indifferent. I know nothing about running an athletics department and I will leave that choice up to the experts at MU.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2023, 11:05:23 AM »
https://x.com/marquettembb/status/1713607272402702623?s=46&t=QSiaGcOIKZrrpw0ciZkI5Q

I'm OK with TC after all these years but serious question, is this a paid appearance for TC or just done out of the goodness of his heart?

feedback