collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Backlash Coming  (Read 7793 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Backlash Coming
« on: October 10, 2023, 12:29:26 PM »
I agree with this ... you should be held responsible for your statements.

-----------------------

Below is the statement and the list of Harvard organizations saying it is Israel's fault, not Hamas

Bill Ackman is a billionaire hedge fund manager, a Harvard grad, and a gigantic supporter (donor) of the school.

He just tweeted this about the statement and the organizations that supported it.

https://x.com/BillAckman/status/1711788747086233661?s=20

I have been asked by a number of  CEOs if @harvard would release a list of the members of each of the Harvard organizations that have issued the letter assigning sole responsibility for Hamas’ heinous acts to Israel, so as to insure that none of us inadvertently hire any of their members.

If, in fact, their members support the letter they have released, the names of the signatories should be made public so their views are publicly known.

One should not be able to hide behind a corporate shield when issuing statements supporting the actions of terrorists, who, we now learn, have beheaded babies, among other inconceivably despicable acts.

Here is the statement

Here is the list of organizations that supported the statement
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Re: Backlash Coming
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2023, 12:32:11 PM »
Boston Herald

Harvard students called ‘morally repugnant’ for blaming Israel for Hamas attacks; college president responds today
https://www.bostonherald.com/2023/10/09/harvard-students-called-morally-repugnant-for-blaming-israel-for-attacks/

Harvard students who authored a letter blaming Israel for the Hamas terror attacks are being ridiculed as “intellectually weak and morally repugnant.”

U.S. Rep. Seth Moulton, D-Salem, and former Harvard president Larry Summers are lining up to call out the Cambridge university students — and the “leadership” remaining silent.

UPDATE: Harvard’s President Claudine Gay responded today (Tuesday, 10/10), condemning “the terrorist atrocities perpetrated by Hamas.” And, in a direct hit at students blaming Israel for the terror attack, Gay adds: “While our students have the right to speak for themselves, no student group — not even 30 student groups — speaks for Harvard University or its leadership.”

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2023, 12:33:24 PM »

Larry Summers ‘Sickened’ by Harvard’s Silence Over Attack on Israel
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-10-09/israel-hamas-war-larry-summers-is-sickened-by-harvard-s-silence

Lawrence Summers, the former president of Harvard University, said he was “sickened” by the institution’s lack of response after some student groups blamed Israel for Hamas’ attack, which has killed more than 900 Israelis, most of them civilians.

“The silence from Harvard’s leadership, so far, coupled with a vocal and widely reported student groups’ statement blaming Israel solely, has allowed Harvard to appear at best neutral towards acts of terror against the Jewish state of Israel,” Summers said on X, formerly known as Twitter.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2023, 12:39:52 PM »
Summers Responded two hours ago

https://x.com/LHSummers/status/1711761982469107955?s=20
The delayed @Harvard leadership statement fails to meet the needs of the moment. Why can’t we find anything approaching the moral clarity of Harvard statements after George Floyd's death or Russia's invasion of Ukraine when terrorists kill, rape and take hostage hundreds of Israelis attending a music festival?

--------

Here are the Harvard statements

https://www.harvard.edu/president/news/2023/war-in-the-middle-east/?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=hu-twitter-general&utm_medium=social

A Statement from President Claudine Gay
October 10, 2023

As the events of recent days continue to reverberate, let there be no doubt that I condemn the terrorist atrocities perpetrated by Hamas. Such inhumanity is abhorrent, whatever one’s individual views of the origins of longstanding conflicts in the region.

Let me also state, on this matter as on others, that while our students have the right to speak for themselves, no student group — not even 30 student groups — speaks for Harvard University or its leadership.

We will all be well served in such a difficult moment by rhetoric that aims to illuminate and not inflame. And I appeal to all of us in this community of learning to keep this in mind as our conversations continue.

Claudine Gay
President, Harvard University

A Statement from Harvard University Leadership
October, 9, 2023

Dear Members of the Harvard Community,

We write to you today heartbroken by the death and destruction unleashed by the attack by Hamas that targeted citizens in Israel this weekend, and by the war in Israel and Gaza now under way.

The violence hits all too close to home for many at Harvard. Some members of our community have lost family members and friends; some have been unable to reach loved ones. And, even for people at Harvard who have not been affected directly by the fighting, there are feelings of fear, sadness, anger, and more that create a heavy burden. We have heard from many students, faculty, and staff about the emotional toll that these events are taking.

Across Harvard, we will continue providing as much support to our students and colleagues as possible. Our Schools either have shared or will soon share messages regarding available resources.

We have also heard an interest from many in understanding more clearly what has been happening in Israel and Gaza. Even as we attend immediately to the needs of our community members, we can take steps as an academic community to deepen our knowledge of the unfolding events and their broader implications for the region and the world. We expect there will be many such opportunities in the coming days and weeks.

We have no illusion that Harvard alone can readily bridge the widely different views of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, but we are hopeful that, as a community devoted to learning, we can take steps that will draw on our common humanity and shared values in order to modulate rather than amplify the deep-seated divisions and animosities so distressingly evident in the wider world. Especially at such a time, we want to emphasize our commitment to fostering an environment of dialogue and empathy, appealing to one another’s thoughtfulness and goodwill in a time of unimaginable loss and sorrow.

As many colleagues, classmates, and friends deal with pain and deep concern about the events in Israel and Gaza, we must all remember that we are one Harvard community, drawn together by a shared passion for learning, discovery, and the pursuit of truth in all its complexity, and held together by a commitment to mutual respect and support. At this moment of challenge, let us embody the care and compassion the world needs now.

Sincerely,

Claudine Gay
President, Harvard University

Alan M. Garber
Provost, Harvard University

Meredith Weenick
Executive Vice President, Harvard University

Tomiko Brown-Nagin
Dean, Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study

Nancy Coleman
Dean, Division of Continuing Education and University Extension

George Q. Daley
Dean, Harvard Medical School

Srikant Datar
Dean, Harvard Business School

Emma Dench
Dean, Harvard Kenneth C. Griffin Graduate School of Arts and Sciences

Douglas W. Elmendorf
Dean, Harvard Kennedy School of Government

William V. Giannobile
Dean, Harvard School of Dental Medicine

Hopi E. Hoekstra
Dean, Faculty of Arts and Sciences

David F. Holland
Interim Dean, Harvard Divinity School

Rakesh Khurana
Dean, Harvard College

Jane J. Kim
Interim Dean, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health

Bridget Terry Long
Dean, Harvard Graduate School of Education

John F. Manning
Dean, Harvard Law School

Michael D. Smith
Interim Dean, Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences

Sarah M. Whiting
Dean, Graduate School of Design

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2023, 12:47:08 PM »

-----------------------

Below is the statement and the list of Harvard organizations saying it is Israel's fault, not Hamas

Bill Ackman is a billionaire hedge fund manager, a Harvard grad, and a gigantic supporter (donor) of the school.

He just tweeted this about the statement and the organizations that supported it.

I have been asked by a number of  CEOs if @harvard would release a list of the members of each of the Harvard organizations that have issued the letter assigning sole responsibility for Hamas’ heinous acts to Israel, so as to insure that none of us inadvertently hire any of their members.

That seems like a complete overreaction and possibly illegal.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 12:55:23 PM by The Sultan of Semantics »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2023, 12:52:02 PM »
Never thought the student body at Harvard was made up of the best and the brightest. US News rankin's are skewed, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2023, 12:55:46 PM »
This just in a bunch of Arab groups are looking at it from the perspective of defending their people from inhumane laws and conditions. I mean especially the Palestinian groups don't owe anyone a "I'm sorry" when from their perspective it's fighting back.

When England had an ethnic apartheid in Northern Ireland (not even remotely on this level) nobody thought it was wrong when Irish groups blamed England for the IRA bombings. Very similar situation with a religion/people that're considered less like us so it's easier to be outraged.

I'm with Israel but asking a group of Palestinians to not say "you're about to blow our families and ancestral homes to hell because of the actions of extremists, go you!" Is ridiculous. That said yes they could say it better and show sympathy for the Israeli citizens facing this horrific situation as well.
Maigh Eo for Sam

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2023, 01:06:01 PM »
This just in a bunch of Arab groups are looking at it from the perspective of defending their people from inhumane laws and conditions. I mean especially the Palestinian groups don't owe anyone a "I'm sorry" when from their perspective it's fighting back.

When England had an ethnic apartheid in Northern Ireland (not even remotely on this level) nobody thought it was wrong when Irish groups blamed England for the IRA bombings. Very similar situation with a religion/people that're considered less like us so it's easier to be outraged.

I'm with Israel but asking a group of Palestinians to not say "you're about to blow our families and ancestral homes to hell because of the actions of extremists, go you!" Is ridiculous. That said yes they could say it better and show sympathy for the Israeli citizens facing this horrific situation as well.

One of those groups was a Jewish group. A lot of younger Jews are not fond of how their government has treated the Palestinian issue.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2023, 01:08:36 PM »

-----------------------

If, in fact, their members support the letter they have released, the names of the signatories should be made public so their views are publicly known.

One should not be able to hide behind a corporate shield when issuing statements supporting the actions of terrorists, who, we now learn, have beheaded babies, among other inconceivably despicable acts.

Here is the statement

Cancel culture strikes again.
SMDH

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2023, 01:21:35 PM »

-----------------------

Here is the statement

🤔
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2023, 02:24:09 PM »
Backlash is coming like the first backlash
Backlash has spoken like the first bird
Praise for the warning; Crimson is doomed, hey?
Praise for the backlash 'gainst the Hahvahd turd.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2023, 03:29:36 PM »
I remember the good old days in 1776 when we were the terrorists.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2023, 03:55:27 PM »
Backlash is coming like the first backlash
Backlash has spoken like the first bird
Praise for the warning; Crimson is doomed, hey?
Praise for the backlash 'gainst the Hahvahd turd.

Chat GPT?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2023, 04:02:39 PM »

Thats the issue.  Blindly ignoring what innocent Israelis went through and essentially giving a pass to gut turning butchery and barbarism cause they feel the fault lies with Israel policy.  And thats what Ackman has an issue with.

One of those groups was a Jewish group. A lot of younger Jews are not fond of how their government has treated the Palestinian issue.

Many younger Jews are also not all observant, purely "culturally Jewish", and have no tie to Israel or the Jewish people that live there.  I would be very willing to be the Jewish students in that group don't refer to Israel as "we" or "our" in any way nor identify with Israeli citizens.  I know some fascinating first hand stories of 1st or 2nd generation Israeli-American teens that don't at all get along with Jewish teens in the NY/NJ towns where they grow up cause the Americans (and I'm sure their parents) don't like Israel and don't see themselves as alike.  And even more interesting, by and large these are all mostly secular Jews.

That seems like a complete overreaction and possibly illegal.

Its not really an overreaction for Ackman, he's a notoriously dramatic and public expressing sort of person.

But what I find kind of amusing, its 2023, any notable company recruiting from Harvard has no problem getting access to the backgrounds of its applicants, so it shouldn't be hard to find a student that graduated from Harvard in 2024-2026 or so and was a member of one of these clubs and quietly avoid them in professional consideration

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2023, 04:15:03 PM »

Many younger Jews are also not all observant, purely "culturally Jewish", and have no tie to Israel or the Jewish people that live there.  I would be very willing to be the Jewish students in that group don't refer to Israel as "we" or "our" in any way nor identify with Israeli citizens.  I know some fascinating first hand stories of 1st or 2nd generation Israeli-American teens that don't at all get along with Jewish teens in the NY/NJ towns where they grow up cause the Americans (and I'm sure their parents) don't like Israel and don't see themselves as alike.  And even more interesting, by and large these are all mostly secular Jews.

You are not wrong at all. But I do know a lot of young observant Jews, and even young Israeli citizens that hold similar views as those signed on by those organizations (also this organization is part of their divinity school, so highly likely they are observant).

That said. The statement was vehemently tone deaf, unnecessary, and inappropriate. They can have issues with Israeli policies, and actions over the years, but now was not the time for such a formal statement.

Now was a time to condemn a terrorist action by Hamas. To grieve the loss of innocent life in Israel, and to offer heartfelt support for those that lost loved ones.

If they wanted to bring some attention to the Palestinian people. They could remind the world that Hamas is not Palestine, nor do they represent the Palestinians. And ask the world to also keep in their hearts and minds the innocent Palestinians that will also suffer because of these horrific actions, and to ask Israel to use restraint and find a way to bring Hamas to justice without the loss of innocent life.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 06:32:51 PM by forgetful »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2023, 05:16:15 PM »
And don’t forget about these upstanding people…what a shocker

https://www.newsweek.com/black-lives-matter-praises-hamas-sparks-backlash-1833630

Fly that flag high and proud
don't...don't don't don't don't

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2023, 05:33:56 PM »
But what I find kind of amusing, its 2023, any notable company recruiting from Harvard has no problem getting access to the backgrounds of its applicants, so it shouldn't be hard to find a student that graduated from Harvard in 2024-2026 or so and was a member of one of these clubs and quietly avoid them in professional consideration

I disagree with the statement that was issued.

But how exactly would an employer know if a candidate supported this statement? To my knowledge, it was signed by the student organization, not by individual members of said organization. It is very possible and likely that some members of these student organizations also disagree with the statement. Guilty by association??
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 05:35:56 PM by RJax55 »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2023, 05:47:35 PM »

-----------------------

Here is the statement

I disagree with the joint statement. I agree that private businesses have the right to not hire someone based on speech they don't agree with.

But I'm confused because I thought we were against cancel culture and that colleges need to be more encouraging of free speech?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2023, 06:01:49 PM »
I disagree with the joint statement. I agree that private businesses have the right to not hire someone based on speech they don't agree with.

But I'm confused because I thought we were against cancel culture and that colleges need to be more encouraging of free speech?
I think that is true generally, but the beheading of babies pro ably crossed the line. And I dont think you are really confused

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2023, 06:04:07 PM »
I think that is true generally, but the beheading of babies pro ably crossed the line. And I dont think you are really confused

I think the statement is ludicrous.
I also see nothing in the statement that endorses baby beheading.  What am I missing?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2023, 06:09:21 PM »
I think the statement is ludicrous.
I also see nothing in the statement that endorses baby beheading.  What am I missing?
By stating Israel has nobody to blame but themselves, instead of denouncing the terrorists.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2023, 06:11:45 PM »
Harvard Jews For Liberation on that list, whoever they are.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2023, 06:13:50 PM »
By stating Israel has nobody to blame but themselves, instead of denouncing the terrorists.

Yeah, that's not the same thing. I imagine you know that, though.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2023, 06:31:50 PM »
Yeah, that's not the same thing. I imagine you know that, though.
It actually is. these groups are giving Hamas a free pass. That is saying it is OK to behead babies if you dont like your opressor.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2023, 07:32:53 PM »
It actually is. these groups are giving Hamas a free pass. That is saying it is OK to behead babies if you dont like your opressor.

"Harvard students are pro-baby beheading" is a flaming hot Scoop Take I never expected, and yet here we are.
Somewhere, a rocket surgeon is blushing.