Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bitching About NIL  (Read 13632 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Bitching About NIL
« Reply #150 on: October 04, 2023, 03:16:57 PM »
Looks like the Providence collective is skirting very close to pay for play.

https://x.com/FriarFamilyNIL/status/1709595535097667967?s=20
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #151 on: October 04, 2023, 03:21:42 PM »
What's the rest of the story? Meaning are they having to do personal appearances for the auto dealership? I smell a tax audit.

https://kslsports.com/505679/utah-football-receives-2024-ram-trucks-in-nil-deal/
In return for the trucks, each athlete is expected to pick a community service project within the year to complete. In addition to receiving the trucks, the insurance and lease is covered so long as the student-athlete is on scholarship.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #152 on: October 04, 2023, 03:22:15 PM »
Looks like the Providence collective is skirting very close to pay for play.

https://x.com/FriarFamilyNIL/status/1709595535097667967?s=20

I think it’s fine. Just can’t be directed to a specific player. Just a general contribution.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #153 on: October 04, 2023, 03:26:18 PM »
the insurance and lease is covered so long as the student-athlete is on scholarship.

So, they don't own the trucks, and only get the lease paid if they are on scholarship.

I woulkd think their compliance ran that up to the NCAA. But how is that not pay for play? Did they need to qualify for the lease?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #154 on: October 04, 2023, 03:56:21 PM »
I think it’s fine. Just can’t be directed to a specific player. Just a general contribution.

Good point, not much difference between a $50 contribution for a win and a $50 contribution just because. I mean, the "just because" could easily be "just because we won."
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #155 on: October 04, 2023, 04:15:16 PM »
lol, agree on Bridges.  I got stuck behind his group out there once.  6 hour round

Bo was a member at Nakoma, not sure anymore. Neighbor played with him once, said he was the biggest a-hole.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #156 on: October 04, 2023, 04:21:32 PM »
So, they don't own the trucks, and only get the lease paid if they are on scholarship.

I woulkd think their compliance ran that up to the NCAA. But how is that not pay for play? Did they need to qualify for the lease?

Of course it’s pay for play. Everyone knows this.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #157 on: October 04, 2023, 05:17:37 PM »
Of course it’s pay for play. Everyone knows this.
I'm old enough to remember when NIL was a thing. NIL, pet rocks, Beanie Babies, Cash for Clunkers, etc.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #158 on: October 13, 2023, 10:07:59 AM »
Didn't want to start a new thread or dirty up the recruiting thread for this, but thought this comment by Izzo on transfer portal tampering was absolutely hilarious:

Izzo added: “If somebody hears my assistant (tamper), call me. He won’t be with us.”

This is the guy who kept Travis Walton on his staff as a volunteer undergraduate assistant after Walton punched a girl out in a bar.  Walton then went on and sexually assaulted a woman a few months later.

But highly paid, highly valuable coaches tampering in the transfer portal is where Tom will draw the line.  Way to have your priorities straight Tom.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #159 on: October 13, 2023, 10:19:21 AM »
Didn't want to start a new thread or dirty up the recruiting thread for this, but thought this comment by Izzo on transfer portal tampering was absolutely hilarious:

This is the guy who kept Travis Walton on his staff as a volunteer undergraduate assistant after Walton punched a girl out in a bar.  Walton then went on and sexually assaulted a woman a few months later.

But highly paid, highly valuable coaches tampering in the transfer portal is where Tom will draw the line.  Way to have your priorities straight Tom.

And if you think his coaches aren’t “tampering”, I’ve got a bridge to sell you
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #160 on: October 13, 2023, 10:29:37 AM »
Probably wants someone to call him because he’s ticked they were dumb enough to get caught.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #161 on: October 13, 2023, 10:43:40 AM »
I've said it before, I'll say it again, Izzo is not a smart person, he's basically an old school HS gym coach who is a very good basketball coach. He truly is one guy I'd say needs to "shut up and coach basketball".

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #162 on: October 13, 2023, 11:22:04 AM »
His recent quote about the transfer portal implies that kids SHOULD be unhappy in college and until they've been in college for 35-50 years old they shouldn't be able to leave.
“Yeah, I have flexibility, I can leave,” Izzo said at Big Ten media day in Minneapolis. “I have millions of dollars of a buyout if I leave. I’ve paid 40 years of dues to leave. Most coaches have put in their time. Most coaches will be doing that at 35 and 40 and 50, not at 20 when one guy tells you to leave because you’re unhappy.
“You know what, what’s wrong with being unhappy? I’m unhappy most of my life. Unhappy drives you. Unhappy pushes you. Unhappy makes people realize, ‘You know what? I’m not good enough. I’ve got to get better.’”

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #163 on: October 13, 2023, 12:35:27 PM »
His recent quote about the transfer portal implies that kids SHOULD be unhappy in college and until they've been in college for 35-50 years old they shouldn't be able to leave.

I'm usually not one for the "modern-day slavery" analogy, but Izzo explaining how he can do what he wants with his millions after decades of coaching while college kids should lean into their unhappiness hits all the wrong notes.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #164 on: October 13, 2023, 12:48:34 PM »
I'm usually not one for the "modern-day slavery" analogy, but Izzo explaining how he can do what he wants with his millions after decades of coaching while college kids should lean into their unhappiness hits all the wrong notes.

He has Mat Ishiba writing whatever checks he wants.  Mel Tucker got $95 million because Ishiba cut a check.  Izzo acts clueless about this stuff but it’s all an act

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #165 on: October 13, 2023, 01:00:54 PM »

Don’t forget Izzy got all pissy when Joey didn’t get an immediate waiver to play there, so his rant is a bit selective.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #166 on: October 13, 2023, 01:03:22 PM »
He has Mat Ishiba writing whatever checks he wants.  Mel Tucker got $95 million because Ishiba cut a check.  Izzo acts clueless about this stuff but it’s all an act
Or not any more?
https://brobible.com/sports/article/matt-ishiba-michigan-state/

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #167 on: October 13, 2023, 01:38:18 PM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #168 on: October 13, 2023, 01:59:05 PM »
Don’t forget Izzy got all pissy when Joey didn’t get an immediate waiver to play there, so his rant is a bit selective.

That's a great point.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #169 on: October 13, 2023, 02:32:57 PM »
Or not any more?
https://brobible.com/sports/article/matt-ishiba-michigan-state/

It sounds like Ishiba caught wind of the Mel Tucker news and concluded his company’s advertising dollars could be better spent elsewhere.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #170 on: October 13, 2023, 10:06:11 PM »
Fizzy Izzy must have forgotten that he got suspended for paying Branden  Dawson's AAU coach to "help out" at his camp during his recruitment.

FartyEightHours

• Starter
« Reply #171 on: October 17, 2023, 10:29:30 PM »
Give ‘em some Rolexes and a $100,000 education
My adjectives are wise, brilliant, and sexy

Jay Bee

• All American

MU82

• All American
« Reply #173 on: January 30, 2024, 08:12:02 AM »
From Yahoo Sports:

Caitlin Clark's autographed "Bowman U" trading card sold for $78,000 last week, shattering the record for a women's basketball card ($11,500 for a Diana Taurasi rookie WNBA card). In fact, the only female athlete to ever demand a higher price is Serena Williams, who had the benefit of playing professionally for decades.

Iowa's game against Ohio State on Jan. 21 averaged 1.93 million viewers on NBC and Peacock, the largest audience for a regular-season women's game since 2010. Thanks to Clark, the Hawkeyes are set to become the first women's hoops team to play on all four broadcast networks (CBS, ABC, NBC and Fox) in the same season.

Iowa sold out Carver-Hawkeye Arena (~15,000 capacity) for every home game this season, a first in program history. When the Hawkeyes are on the road, opponents have seen a 150% spike in attendance. Tickets for tomorrow's sold-out game at Northwestern are reselling for as much as $1,324, per the Chicago Sun-Times.

Clark has 1.1 million social media followers and NIL deals with companies like Nike, Gatorade, Topps, State Farm, Bose, Buick, Goldman Sachs and H&R Block. Earlier this month, she released her own cereal — Caitlin's Crunch Time — with grocery store chain Hy-Vee. Some estimates have her net worth hovering around $3 million.

The Iowa women's basketball team brought in over $3.8 million in total revenue during Clark's National Player of the Year campaign in 2022-23, more than doubling its revenue from any prior recent year, Sportico reports.
[/b]

Glad to see Clark raking in the money for her exceptional talent and hard work. Her school is sure making plenty off of her.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #174 on: January 30, 2024, 10:02:56 AM »
wat iz hurr gpa tho

feedback