Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bitching About NIL  (Read 13615 times)

rgoode57

• Starter
Bitching About NIL
« on: September 26, 2023, 09:05:11 AM »
I have absolutely no problem with student athletes making money. And, I am totally aware that there has always been under the table money paid to a lot of athletes in one form or another. I initially thought that allowing athletes to get NIL payments was a fine idea. But, I was not expecting what it has turned out to be - an unrestricted pay-for-play system.

Maybe I should have expected it, but I didn't. Call me naive.

My problem is that 1) there are apparently no limits or regulations that schools are required to follow; and 2) athletes are being outright paid to play rather than simply being paid to do commercials or whatever for the local pizza joint.

I saw where Xavier went out and got themselves a new big man from Europe - a month after classes had started. I personally don't see how you start classes a month late and qualify to play basketball that same semester. But, it seems like anything goes now.

Can we be that far away from athletes not even enrolling in classes and just becoming paid employees of the school?

Does the NCAA actually do anything anymore other than put its name on a basketball tournament?

panda

• All American
Re: Bitching About NIL
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2023, 09:22:30 AM »
The ncaa needs to decide if they want fall in line and mimic American pro sport structure with significant salary regulation or follow more of a euro soccer model where the highest wage bills win 98% of the trophies.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2023, 09:24:24 AM »
I'm worried that if NIL continues to go unregulated that all the big money schools like Duke, UNC, Kansas and Kentucky will start winning all the recruiting battles.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2023, 09:26:30 AM »
I saw where Xavier went out and got themselves a new big man from Europe - a month after classes had started. I personally don't see how you start classes a month late and qualify to play basketball that same semester. But, it seems like anything goes now.

I wondered about Xavier too. Not sure how that got approved. That being said, this has nothing to do with NIL.

Can we be that far away from athletes not even enrolling in classes and just becoming paid employees of the school?

Yes, we can be very far away from that. The current model benefits both parties tremendously, neither side has any reason to change.

Does the NCAA actually do anything anymore other than put its name on a basketball tournament?

Yes.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2023, 09:33:11 AM »
All this nonsense about letting freshmen play. The next thing you know, dunking will be legal and they'll start playing with some kind of dadgum shot clock!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2023, 09:36:29 AM »
Imagine what Joey Hauser would get
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2023, 09:50:35 AM »
Imagine what Joey Hauser would get

I had never seen one second of Joey Hauser, so back when Sam was an MU sophomore I asked Scoop something like, "It's hard to believe that Joey actually is better than Sam. Is he?" And there were lots of "yes he is" answers. So sure, if Joey were coming out of SPASH now and had the same level of hype, he'd have gotten a ton.

NIL is gonna help lots of programs buy lots of great talent ... but it's also gonna result in big paydays for lots Joey-like underachievers.

Of course, that's what the under-the-table operators dealt with forever. Who knows ... maybe even Al paid a few slugs.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2023, 09:53:53 AM »
I'm worried that if NIL continues to go unregulated that all the big money schools like Duke, UNC, Kansas and Kentucky will start winning all the recruiting battles.

Bravo  ;D
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2023, 10:09:23 AM »
I had never seen one second of Joey Hauser, so back when Sam was an MU sophomore I asked Scoop something like, "It's hard to believe that Joey actually is better than Sam. Is he?" And there were lots of "yes he is" answers. So sure, if Joey were coming out of SPASH now and had the same level of hype, he'd have gotten a ton.

NIL is gonna help lots of programs buy lots of great talent ... but it's also gonna result in big paydays for lots Joey-like underachievers.

Of course, that's what the under-the-table operators dealt with forever. Who knows ... maybe even Al paid a few slugs.

Al never recruited kids who didn’t have cracked sidewalks

panda

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2023, 10:13:45 AM »

NIL doesn’t change where these teams sit. Barring catastrophic drop offs, they’ll always be near or at the top. Free spending lets teams like Miami turn themselves into bonafide contenders when they weren’t before.

I don’t have a problem with NIL, but saying it doesn’t change the landscape is wrong.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2023, 10:16:14 AM »

Wrong. Al recruited a kid from Brookfield who North Carolina badly wanted, hey?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 11:30:46 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2023, 10:21:33 AM »

Wrong. Al recruited a kid from Brookfield who South Carolina badly wanted, hey?

That’s not true.  Read his quotes.  Thats why we need an aircraft carrier. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2023, 10:27:21 AM »
If NIL existed back then, maybe Chones has food in his refrigerator and stays at MU through the end of the season
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2023, 10:34:34 AM »
If NIL existed back then, maybe Chones has food in his refrigerator and stays at MU through the end of the season

Seashells and balloons, aina?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2023, 10:35:31 AM »

Wrong. Al recruited a kid from Brookfield who South Carolina badly wanted, hey?
A trip down memory lane for that Brookfield recruit

https://m.facebook.com/AlMcGuiresWarriors/photos/a.528174263961728/2261788597266944/?type=3
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2023, 10:48:10 AM »
NIL was always going to be used to recruit. Until players receive the compensation that the marketplace dictates, it will continue to be used that way.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2023, 10:48:20 AM »

If freshmen could play and one-and-done was a thing, Chones woulda been gone after one year.

Even if Al punched him in the face.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2023, 10:56:52 AM »
If freshmen could play and one-and-done was a thing, Chones woulda been gone after one year.

Even if Al punched him in the face.

We’d have gotten Mark Aguirre if we had NIL back then and Majerus would have gotten Joe Wolf and we’d be in the ACC

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2023, 10:58:04 AM »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2023, 11:17:18 AM »
A trip down memory lane for that Brookfield recruit

https://m.facebook.com/AlMcGuiresWarriors/photos/a.528174263961728/2261788597266944/?type=3

Wouldn’t have been a loss.  Never won a natty with him

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2023, 12:43:03 PM »

Hermie, Frank McGuire was hot after #12, aina?
Wonder how the Gamecock Brawl would have played out in that scenario?
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2023, 12:51:06 PM »
All this nonsense about letting freshmen play. The next thing you know, dunking will be legal and they'll start playing with some kind of dadgum shot clock!

...and OMG they'll start recruiting black players.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2023, 12:58:08 PM »

No sidewalks in Arizona

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2023, 01:46:28 PM »
NIL was the Trojan Hoarse for pay for play. The premise of treating athletes like other student was a facade. Good for the players.

I will disagree with many other here concerning the future of players being students of the schools. The rumblings of discrimination in the current systems will only grow but, more importantly, the underpinnings of the argument that certain people are being excluded due to academic requirements that have nothing to do with sports has been enhanced by the pay for play reality.  "Why should John be excluded from making money playing basketball because he can not score 17 on the ACT?" Groups of people have been successful in reducing or eliminating eligibility requirements in other areas due to the requirements not being essential or relevant to those positions.

If we are going to embrace the professional nature of "student" athletes, we need to fully embrace it. Seems to me that some want old system they are comfortable with and is unfair to others. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2023, 02:01:22 PM »
If we are going to embrace the professional nature of "student" athletes, we need to fully embrace it. Seems to me that some want old system they are comfortable with and is unfair to others.

What "others" is the current system "unfair" to?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback