[Today at 03:32:55 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Recipe Thread  (Read 1542 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Recipe Thread
« on: August 05, 2023, 09:45:18 AM »
I thought we had one but I don't see it.  Anyhow, I made a phenomenal summer salad yesterday that takes less than 10 mins.  It's all about the freshness of your ingredients and I highly, highly, recommend this one if you're grilling or entertaining.  It's essentially a N. African/Mediterranean Watermelon Salad:

Watermelon
Cucumber
Feta Cheese
Basil
Mint
Olive Oil
Lime juice
Honey
Salt

Get a  🍉 and cut, seed, and cut into modest chunks.

Get some 🥒 🥒 and peel, seed, cut into small chunks or slices.

Get some prine-time feta cheese. Not that crumble b-crap, a nice block in some liquid at the bottom.  Cut into slabs.and then quarter the slabs.

From your garden or the store snag some high quality mint and basil.  Use generously and tear those bad boys up with  🍉, 🥒,  and feta.

Depending on the amount you are making add a little bit of olive oil to coat with a squeeze or two of honey and some lime juice. You truthfully do not need to dress this heavily.  Finish with some salt and toss.

Trust me this is a drop the hammer recipe, that takes little time, and is a great addition to the grilling season wherever you live.  The Trinity of Watermelon, Cucumber, and Feta is superb.  :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2023, 09:48:45 AM by MuggsyB »

lawdog77

• All American
Re: Recipe Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2023, 10:03:53 AM »
I thought we had one but I don't see it.  Anyhow, I made a phenomenal summer salad yesterday that takes less than 10 mins.  It's all about the freshness of your ingredients and I highly, highly, recommend this one if you're grilling or entertaining.  It's essentially a N. African/Mediterranean Watermelon Salad:

Watermelon
Cucumber
Feta Cheese
Basil
Mint
Olive Oil
Lime juice
Honey
Salt

Get some prine-time feta cheese. Not that crumble b-crap, a nice block in some liquid at the bottom.  Cut into slabs.and then quarter the slabs.

From your garden or the store snag some high quality mint and basil.  Use generously and tear those bad boys up with  🍉, 🥒,  and feta.

Depending on the amount you are making add a little bit of olive oil to coat with a squeeze or two of honey and some lime juice. You truthfully do not need to dress this heavily.  Finish with some salt and toss.

Trust me this is a drop the hammer recipe, that takes little time, and is a great addition to the grilling season wherever you live.  The Trinity of Watermelon, Cucumber, and Feta is superb.  :)
Very similar to the one I make, although I add sumac

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2023, 10:08:25 AM »

Watermelon
Cucumber
Feta Cheese
Basil
Mint
Olive Oil
Lime juice
Honey
Salt

I like this one. The missus makes it for us less the salt
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2023, 10:18:46 AM »

I “discovered” sumac this summer.  A very versatile spice.
Ludum habemus.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2023, 10:25:50 AM »
We make a watermelon salad with watermelon, goat cheese, jalapeno, balsamic vinegar. Ez pz. Sometimes we add some mint.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2023, 11:02:40 AM »

Yum....sumac!  I like that addition.  Ty ldog. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2023, 11:07:36 AM »
I also make a traditional Greek Village Salad if anyone is interested.  I'm curious what our Scoop Chef's go to 🫒 oil  is?  I generally either buy Mythology or Sasso. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2023, 12:06:39 PM »
I tried it. Too salty.

Have some patience, FFS.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2023, 12:20:00 PM »
I tried it. Too salty.

I'll give you some points for that one warriorchick. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2023, 01:00:17 PM »
Pics?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2023, 02:40:59 PM »
I tried it. Too salty.

A good one.  Too bad he didn't get it.   :P

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2023, 06:10:20 PM »
A good one.  Too bad he didn't get it.   :P

Of course I got it. 

panda

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2023, 07:35:37 PM »
Muggsy - don’t let a bunch of people with raccoon taste and mediocre at best sense of humor bring you down. It’s very clear based on previous posts and this salad that your palette is higher than most.

panda

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2023, 07:36:06 PM »
Of course I got it.

*of coarse

-I beat all of the mopes to that one

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2023, 08:09:10 PM »
Ludum habemus.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2023, 11:00:53 AM »
*of coarse

-I beat all of the mopes to that one

Ha!  Double puns. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2023, 05:18:15 PM »
I'm a huge fan of the mortar and pestle.  I realize this may be a primitive tool for the kitchen, and it is a bit of work whether it be herbs, dried chiles, or spices, but I believe it's vastly superior to an electric spice grinder. You simply extract more flavor and it gives one a greater opportunity to create prime time dishes from around the world. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2023, 07:49:52 PM »
Made a tremendous dip today. Took my Fat Free greek yogurt and mixed in some Salt Free Mrs Dash. Sliced some cucumbers and had an excellent mid- afternoon snack.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2023, 09:38:38 AM »
My favorite Recipe

Whistle pig
Ice
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2023, 10:49:45 AM »
I'm a huge fan of the mortar and pestle.  I realize this may be a primitive tool for the kitchen, and it is a bit of work whether it be herbs, dried chiles, or spices, but I believe it's vastly superior to an electric spice grinder. You simply extract more flavor and it gives one a greater opportunity to create prime time dishes from around the world.

I agree. People interested, know what you're looking for and avoid the mistake I made. When I first decided I wanted a m/p I bought one that was much to small to be of too much use. It was also smooth which is better for soft and oily things (e.g., pesto or anchovy paste) but not good for grinding spices. Perhaps these are obvious considerations to some...but I didn't know.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2023, 11:43:37 AM »
I agree. People interested, know what you're looking for and avoid the mistake I made. When I first decided I wanted a m/p I bought one that was much to small to be of too much use. It was also smooth which is better for soft and oily things (e.g., pesto or anchovy paste) but not good for grinding spices. Perhaps these are obvious considerations to some...but I didn't know.

Great points.  I went with a larger one because I figured it would be less likely for the spices to jump out.  I also like to jar my Curry Pastes, Pestos, Sambal, and Chimmichuri not to mention you need a larger vessel for premier guac.  I did the rice water method to season my mortar but it seems to me there are a wide range of theories on this one.  I'm not sure it was necessary.  Because as you stated, if it's too smooth it's less effective with spices .

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2023, 11:53:51 AM »
Great points.  I went with a larger one because I figured it would be less likely for the spices to jump out.  I also like to jar my Curry Pastes, Pestos, Sambal, and Chimmichuri not to mention you need a larger vessel for premier guac.  I did the rice water method to season my mortar but it seems to me there are a wide range of theories on this one.  I'm not sure it was necessary.  Because as you stated, if it's too smooth it's less effective with spices .

I seasoned mine with dry white rice and salt, working it to remove any grit left from manufacturing. The oils from spices seem to saturate the stone and over time have changed the color of the granite a bit. Having a very heavy mortar & pestle makes it easier to do the work, and I agree with y'all that a bigger one makes it easier for the pounding and grinding. Getting a small one would be like having a small workbench or cutting board. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2023, 12:28:48 PM »
Getting a small one would be like having a small workbench or cutting board.

Speaking of which, my kids bought me a really large cutting board for Father's Day. I love it. It's a pleasure to work on. My other one isn't small...but having a really large one is great.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2023, 01:34:00 PM »
Speaking of which, my kids bought me a really large cutting board for Father's Day. I love it. It's a pleasure to work on. My other one isn't small...but having a really large one is great.

That's awesome. The only downside is fitting it in the sink? haha

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2023, 02:08:47 PM »
That's awesome. The only downside is fitting it in the sink? haha

Not even close. I just have to put it next to the sink and clean with a rag.