[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: I Promise School  (Read 4423 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
I Promise School
« on: August 02, 2023, 09:41:01 AM »
Apparently 8th graders at Lebron's school in Akron haven't passed a State math test in three years.  This is rather alarming to say the least.  I'm not blaming Lebron and I think his intentions are good.  It's also important to note that Covid and kids being out of school have probably impacted test-scores.  That said if this school is completely failing you have to wonder what's happening at our schools across the country?  There are very good teachers but clearly there are a lot of bad ones as well.  IMO we need to completely revamp our entire primary and secondary educational system.  It's an absolute s-show.   I am curious the ideas Scoopers have to change this?  I have some but want to here from the experts here. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 09:42:37 AM by MuggsyB »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: I Promise School
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2023, 09:46:52 AM »
Apparently 8th graders at Lebron's school in Akron haven't passed a State math test in three years.  This is rather alarming to say the least.  I'm not blaming Lebron and I think his intentions are good.  It's also important to note that Covid and kids being out of school have probably impacted test-scores.  That said if this school is completely failing you have to wonder what's happening at our schools across the country?  There are very good teachers but clearly there are a lot of bad ones as well.  IMO we need to completely revamp our entire primary educational system.  It's an absolute s-show.   I am curious the ideas Scoopers have to change this?  I have some but want to here from the experts here. 

Isn't that the school that's taking on the most challenging, marginal students and trying to get them back into the education system?

Yep just looked it up - The kids attending the I Promise School were identified as the worst performers in the Akron public schools and branded with behavioral problems. Some as young as 8 were considered at risk of not graduating.

Gotta try something to keep these kids in school.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2023, 09:48:43 AM »
Yeah, I wouldn't use this school as representative of the entire educational system.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2023, 09:50:58 AM »
Yes, but they've put an enormous amount of resources in this school. 

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2023, 09:52:23 AM »
Yep just looked it up - The kids attending the I Promise School were identified as the worst performers in the Akron public schools and branded with behavioral problems. Some as young as 8 were considered at risk of not graduating.

Yep.  Articles without context citing to the school's aggregate standardized math test scores that lead Muggsy to come on here and label the school as "completely failing" is emblematic of our broken discourse around education - but that's about the end of its utility in analyzing the issue.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2023, 09:55:14 AM »
Yes, but they've put an enormous amount of resources in this school. 

The school receives identical local, state and federal funding as any other public school but the additional services surrounding the school are funded by Lebron.

What's your gripe there?

To fix the US education system we need to eliminate all private schools and home schools. Make them illegal. Ensure that the wealthy will have a vested interest in improving the public school system, which is the system that their kids will have to go through. That will fix the US education problem in 1 year, bringing us up to par with the rest of the developed world.

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2023, 09:55:19 AM »
Yep.  Articles without context citing to the school's aggregate standardized math test scores that lead Muggsy to come on here and label the school as "completely failing" is emblematic of our broken discourse around education - but that's about the end of its utility in analyzing the issue.

Yep.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2023, 09:58:06 AM »
The school receives identical local, state and federal funding as any other public school but the additional services surrounding the school are funded by Lebron.

***by the LeBron James Family Foundation
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2023, 09:58:19 AM »
The fact remains that our public schools are completely failing our children from disadvantaged socio-economic backgrounds.  In particular our black children.  I am of the belief that we as a society are responsible and we're doing an inordinately crappy job.  I don't subscribe to the "these are problem kids" narrative. That's defeatist and horribly unfair.We actually need to do something about it instead of accepting garbage results.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 10:01:21 AM by MuggsyB »

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2023, 10:03:43 AM »
The fact remains that our public schools are completely failing our children from disadvantaged socio-economic backgrounds.  In particular our black children.  I am of the belief that we as a society are responsible and we're doing an inordinately crappy job.  I don't subscribe to the "these are problem kids" narrative.
That's defeatist and horribly unfair.We actually need to do something about it instead of accepting garbage results.

Saying they are "completely failing" is hyperbolic nonsense. To assert that its solely the fault of "our public schools" is simplistic.

It is a multi-layered problem that's going to take more than our school systems to fix. It is intertwined with all sorts of issues than are completely outside the control of the public schools.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2023, 10:04:15 AM »

What's your gripe there?

So eliminate all private schools?  That's obviously absurd. 

To fix the US education system we need to eliminate all private schools and home schools. Make them illegal. Ensure that the wealthy will have a vested interest in improving the public school system, which is the system that their kids will have to go through. That will fix the US education problem in 1 year, bringing us up to par with the rest of the developed world.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2023, 10:04:48 AM »
Saying they are "completely failing" is hyperbolic nonsense. To assert that its solely the fault of "our public schools" is simplistic.

It is a multi-layered problem that's going to take more than our school systems to fix. It is intertwined with all sorts of issues than are completely outside the control of the public schools.

It's been a problem forever and we continue to fail. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2023, 10:12:10 AM »

What's your gripe there?

So Religious affiliated schools would be illegal. I think that would violate the free speech and free exercise clauses in the Constitution.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2023, 10:15:36 AM »
The I Promise Schhol has fewer than 250 kids.   This is an utter and complete failure.  Not a single 8th grader could pass the math exam?  Ridiculous.  And alarming.  To see it any other way is being intellectually dishonest. 

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2023, 10:17:17 AM »
It's been a problem forever and we continue to fail. 

Maybe it's been a problem forever because its nearly impossible to fix. The best we can probably hope for is to lift up a significant enough number of people to make a difference.

Anyway, the greatest barrier to inter-generational social mobility is economic inequality. We aren't going to fix the former until we get serious about the latter.

https://www.investopedia.com/the-great-gatsby-curve-5205821

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2023, 10:21:35 AM »
So Religious affiliated schools would be illegal. I think that would violate the free speech and free exercise clauses in the Constitution.
Relax, that was a joke.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2023, 10:27:39 AM »
The I Promise Schhol has fewer than 250 kids.   This is an utter and complete failure.  Not a single 8th grader could pass the math exam?  Ridiculous.  And alarming.  To see it any other way is being intellectually dishonest.

Maybe a standardized math exam focuses on the wrong thing. What if this school develops curious learners, kids who feel confident, kids who see they can improve their situation and see the support to help them get there. Education is more than math.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2023, 10:28:31 AM »

As long as the wealthy's children are able to avoid the public education system entirely, the public school system will suffer. It's much easier and cheaper for the wealthy to ensure there's one good school for their kid rather than bringing everyone up.

And private schools are protected by the 14th amendment, according to the courts. The liberty part, specifically - https://www.archives.gov/milestone-documents/14th-amendment#:~:text=No%20State%20shall%20make%20or,equal%20protection%20of%20the%20laws.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2023, 10:30:36 AM »
The fact remains that our public schools are completely failing our children from disadvantaged socio-economic backgrounds.  In particular our black children.  I am of the belief that we as a society are responsible and we're doing an inordinately crappy job.  I don't subscribe to the "these are problem kids" narrative. That's defeatist and horribly unfair.We actually need to do something about it instead of accepting garbage results.

Good on you Muggs! This virtue signaling is doing much more for the education system, and in particuar, those kids in Akron as compared to creating a school solely for the most disadvantaged kids in an economically deprived part of the country!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2023, 10:44:38 AM »

I guess these kids’ ancestors missed out on the benefits that slavery provided, so the kids started life behind the 8-ball.

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2023, 10:48:16 AM »

Yes of course it's alarming. It shows that even with enormous resources devoted to a small population, it is incredibly difficult to have a significant impact on certain populations.

Being "intellectually dishonest" is not acknowledging the circumstances around the population the school serves.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2023, 10:48:54 AM »
Maybe a standardized math exam focuses on the wrong thing. What if this school develops curious learners, kids who feel confident, kids who see they can improve their situation and see the support to help them get there. Education is more than math.

But is math, math?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2023, 11:37:22 AM »
As long as the wealthy's children are able to avoid the public education system entirely, the public school system will suffer. It's much easier and cheaper for the wealthy to ensure there's one good school for their kid rather than bringing everyone up.

And private schools are protected by the 14th amendment, according to the courts. The liberty part, specifically - https://www.archives.gov/milestone-documents/14th-amendment#:~:text=No%20State%20shall%20make%20or,equal%20protection%20of%20the%20laws.
There are plenty of very good public schools that are in wealthy areas. Places like Westchester County in NY, All over Fairfield County in CT, variois places in Long Island and NJ, North Shore Chicago, etc

Poor performing schools are more a function of the lack of generally acceptable social standards of parents than they are of a lack of resources.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2023, 11:52:21 AM »
Apparently 8th graders at Lebron's school in Akron haven't passed a State math test in three years.  This is rather alarming to say the least.  I'm not blaming Lebron and I think his intentions are good.  It's also important to note that Covid and kids being out of school have probably impacted test-scores.  That said if this school is completely failing you have to wonder what's happening at our schools across the country?  There are very good teachers but clearly there are a lot of bad ones as well.  IMO we need to completely revamp our entire primary and secondary educational system.  It's an absolute s-show.   I am curious the ideas Scoopers have to change this?  I have some but want to here from the experts here.

The last thing some people want is an educated public.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2023, 11:53:23 AM »
There are plenty of very good public schools that are in wealthy areas. Places like Westchester County in NY, All over Fairfield County in CT, variois places in Long Island and NJ, North Shore Chicago, etc

Poor performing schools are more a function of the lack of generally acceptable social standards of parents than they are of a lack of resources.

This is a lie
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.