[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 NFL Offseason and Draft Thread  (Read 89528 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: 2024 NFL Offseason and Draft Thread
« Reply #3200 on: March 22, 2024, 06:54:01 AM »
If I'm Fields, I'd like to compete against the guy  who refuses to throw over the middle.

I'm inclined to think the Bears tried to do right by Fields but they were also never going to trade him in the division. They're not so secure that they think there's no way it'd backfire with the Vikes.

I believe fields, under the right system, could be decent.  remember he played under Chicago people
don't...don't don't don't don't

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3201 on: March 22, 2024, 10:44:46 AM »
I believe fields, under the right system, could be decent.  remember he played under Chicago people
I think you are correct, but is still crazy that essentially all NFL teams don't think highly of Fields. Barely even a hint that they feel the system kept him down. NFL personnel just don't like the underlying skill set. But, maybe fans and media are correct and NFL teams are wrong. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3202 on: March 22, 2024, 10:53:48 AM »
I think you are correct, but is still crazy that essentially all NFL teams don't think highly of Fields. Barely even a hint that they feel the system kept him down. NFL personnel just don't like the underlying skill set. But, maybe fans and media are correct and NFL teams are wrong.

I think that an even bigger reason is that teams that really need a QB have a GM or HC who is either new or on the hot seat. They absolutely do not wanna have their future in the NFL decided by a failed guy like Fields.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3203 on: March 22, 2024, 11:21:40 PM »
I mean, think of all the QBs who escaped horrible Bears coaching and went on to be superstars elsewhere!

McMahon … Tomczak … Harbaugh … Kramer … Orton … Cutler … Trubisky … the list just goes on and on!

A pretty tough act to follow for Fields.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3204 on: March 23, 2024, 06:55:45 AM »
Yeah, I think there is a lot of excuse making for Fields here. Sure he may be able to become a decent QB, but I think he just isn't all that good.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3205 on: March 23, 2024, 08:15:22 AM »
Chiefs sure didn't get much of a return for L'Jarius Sneed.

https://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-trading-cb-l-jarius-sneed-to-titans

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3206 on: March 23, 2024, 08:55:09 AM »
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3207 on: March 23, 2024, 10:47:28 AM »
If this is true, prepare for more playoff games on streaming.  Very, very interesting

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-peacock-retained-71-percent-of-wild-card-subscribers-seven-weeks-later

As long as we aren't subjected to woke Taylor Swift

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #3208 on: March 25, 2024, 07:37:43 PM »
I could be way wrong on this, but I don’t get all this J.J. McCarthy love.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3209 on: March 25, 2024, 07:55:23 PM »
I agree. Maybe everyone is seeing the next Brady from Michigan? He look like a very good QB behind a great line with a great running game. Didn't let him throw 1 pass the second half of the PSU game. 1st round pick sure, top 3?

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #3210 on: March 25, 2024, 08:22:55 PM »
Lotta chatter that the Viqueens will trade up to get him.

I hope the reports are correct.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #3211 on: March 25, 2024, 08:33:49 PM »
Lotta chatter that the Viqueens will trade up to get him.

I hope the reports are correct.

Minnesota won’t be able to draft him after Washington takes McCarthy at 2.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3212 on: March 25, 2024, 08:40:25 PM »

I get it. Good arm, really athletic, smart, coaches and teammates love him, etc.
I'm not expert enough to know whether he'll be any good as a pro, but to me he profiles way better than a lot of recent draftees the draft industrial complex loved (see: Trey Lance, Zach Wilson, Sam Darnold, Baker, Murray), all of whom had more serious flaws.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #3213 on: March 25, 2024, 09:04:32 PM »
I get it. Good arm, really athletic, smart, coaches and teammates love him, etc.
I'm not expert enough to know whether he'll be any good as a pro, but to me he profiles way better than a lot of recent draftees the draft industrial complex loved (see: Trey Lance, Zach Wilson, Sam Darnold, Baker, Murray), all of whom had more serious flaws.

Again, I could be way wrong, but that description sounds a lot like Christian Ponder too.

I just can’t wrap my head around McCarthy going #2 overall. I’d like more on film to believe in him going that high. I say this as someone not sold on Maye and really worried about Daniels longevity. I actually wish the Chargers could trade Herbert (they can’t) to see how Harbaugh would use McCarthy as a pro.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3214 on: March 25, 2024, 09:33:15 PM »
Here is what they are saying:
+Outstanding mechanics in both upper and lower body leads to consistently pretty and accurate throws.
+Creates an excellent throwing base with his legs and is typically squared to the target, maximizing a less-than-elite, but still easily NFL-caliber arm.
+Excellent vision in post-snap and also regularly demonstrates good anticipation stemming from accurate pre-snap reads.
+Great size and surprising athleticism. Flashed ability as a big-play runner and should be athletic enough to operate outside of the pocket and as a scrambler in the NFL.
+Particularly excellent deep ball thrower.
+High processing speed, capable of making pro-style progression reads impressively.
+Surprisingly gritty leader.

... in the Daniel Jones draft report.  ;)

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3215 on: March 25, 2024, 09:50:28 PM »
Again, I could be way wrong, but that description sounds a lot like Christian Ponder too.

I just can’t wrap my head around McCarthy going #2 overall. I’d like more on film to believe in him going that high. I say this as someone not sold on Maye and really worried about Daniels longevity. I actually wish the Chargers could trade Herbert (they can’t) to see how Harbaugh would use McCarthy as a pro.

I probably missed this..

But what do you think of Caleb?

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #3216 on: March 25, 2024, 09:56:05 PM »
Harbaugh limited how much JJ threw the ball. Didn’t trust him?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #3217 on: March 25, 2024, 10:22:10 PM »
I probably missed this..

But what do you think of Caleb?

I’m the college football thread over the course of this past season, I definitely (and still do) raised major Caleb Williams concerns. I think there’s possibly a world where we look back in five years and Spencer Rattler is the best pro QB to come out of this draft.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3218 on: March 25, 2024, 10:55:28 PM »
I’m the college football thread over the course of this past season, I definitely (and still do) raised major Caleb Williams concerns. I think there’s possibly a world where we look back in five years and Spencer Rattler is the best pro QB to come out of this draft.

Think the bears should take Caleb #1? Take another QB or other player #1? Or trade down?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3219 on: March 25, 2024, 11:17:26 PM »

Don't really see the Ponder comp. JJ is a better athlete, much more accurate, has a stronger arm (threw 61 mph at the Combine to Ponder's 51 mph), threw better and more often downfield (9.4 AY/A to Ponder's 6.7), and took better care of the ball (11 INTs on 713 attempts to 30 on 965 attempts for Ponder).
And while I think too much can be made of a QB's record, Ponder was 23-12 as a starter, McCarthy was 27-1.

I also would be surprised at him going #2, but again, I get why he's popular. I also get that it would be nice to have more film, but he threw more passes in college than Josh Allen and Tua, and nearly as many as CJ Stroud (713 to 830). So, it's not as if his lack of film is a huge red flag.

Again, no clue here whether he's good or not, but I'm not surprised he's highly regarded. I said that two months ago when he declared.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 11:38:16 PM by Pakuni »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #3220 on: March 25, 2024, 11:17:45 PM »
Think the bears should take Caleb #1? Take another QB or other player #1? Or trade down?

They’re definitely taking Caleb at 1, and they probably should. I have my concerns (height/decision making against better defensive opponents/shorter windows to throw through in the NFL), but there’s concerns with everyone.

The hit rate on round 1 QB’s isn’t going to overwhelm anyone, it’s as much about aligning right guy with right team/ resources as ever. The Bears infrastructure is probably the best it’s ever been to bring in a new young QB. That’s not meant to be a compliment either, their internal commitment to offense has forever been terrible.

I’m more curious about what they do at 9 than anything else.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3221 on: March 26, 2024, 09:45:23 AM »
They’re definitely taking Caleb at 1, and they probably should. I have my concerns (height/decision making against better defensive opponents/shorter windows to throw through in the NFL), but there’s concerns with everyone.

The hit rate on round 1 QB’s isn’t going to overwhelm anyone, it’s as much about aligning right guy with right team/ resources as ever. The Bears infrastructure is probably the best it’s ever been to bring in a new young QB. That’s not meant to be a compliment either, their internal commitment to offense has forever been terrible.

I’m more curious about what they do at 9 than anything else.

I would think edge or WR. Potentially BPA

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3222 on: March 26, 2024, 10:56:27 AM »

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3223 on: March 26, 2024, 11:00:31 AM »
Packers got a new kicker.

https://x.com/TesslerSports/status/1772652297593487562?s=20
Sounds like he negotiating for a contract on X.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3224 on: March 26, 2024, 12:14:45 PM »
TV News:

2 games on XMas, which is a Wednesday

The opener in Brazil between Philly and Cleveland will be streamed on Peacock

NFL money machine rolls along
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

feedback