[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 NFL Offseason and Draft Thread  (Read 89521 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: 2024 NFL Offseason and Draft Thread
« Reply #3175 on: March 17, 2024, 11:59:25 AM »
What did they get for Pickett?
A 3rd & 2 7ths, gave back a 4th.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3176 on: March 17, 2024, 12:05:11 PM »
Steelers have an improved QB room at very low cost. Fields moving to back up ,takes the pressure off him, and will hopefully enable Justin to develop in the background
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3177 on: March 17, 2024, 12:14:58 PM »
Steelers have an improved QB room at very low cost. Fields moving to back up ,takes the pressure off him, and will hopefully enable Justin to develop in the background

Justin adds nothing. Crap QB who can't read the field. He will be a negative in the QB room.

He was traded for a 6th round pick - next year. In a new era with NIL money that means most 6th or 7th round players are guys that would have been undrafted FAs.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3178 on: March 17, 2024, 12:25:31 PM »
I think an aspect of Fields' value that is under (or not) played by fans and media is his injury history paired with his style of play. It is a big reason I was ready for the Bears to move on.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3179 on: March 17, 2024, 12:53:36 PM »
Justin adds nothing. Crap QB who can't read the field. He will be a negative in the QB room.

He was traded for a 6th round pick - next year. In a new era with NIL money that means most 6th or 7th round players are guys that would have been undrafted FAs.

Herm’s football acumen is pretty terrible but great comedy
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3180 on: March 17, 2024, 01:29:59 PM »
Herm’s football acumen is pretty terrible but great comedy

But in this case, he's 100 percent correct.

They went from Kenny Pickett, Mitch Trubisky and Mason Randolph at a $10.1 million cap hit to Russell Wilson, Justin Fields and likely a late pick/UDFA at about $5 million. ($4.3 million for Russ and Fields)
Their #1 is better than last year's #1.
Their #2 is better than last year's #2.
And they've got $5 million to spare against the cap.

Whatever you think of Russ and Fields, the Steelers have improved their QB room.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3181 on: March 17, 2024, 01:44:17 PM »

They went from Kenny Pickett, Mitch Trubisky and Mason Randolph at a $10.1 million cap hit to Russell Wilson, Justin Fields and likely a late pick/UDFA at about $5 million. ($4.3 million for Russ and Fields)

Whatever you think of Russ and Fields, the Steelers have improved their QB room.
How do you square that with "Justin adds nothing. Crap QB who can't read the field. He will be a negative in the QB room."?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3182 on: March 17, 2024, 01:48:56 PM »

They added Russell Wilson.  He’s a poor man’s Aaron Rodgers diva.  Fields development will be in the hands of Arthur Smith.  If they had a Tom Clements on that staff, I’d say maybe they save Fields. 

They saved money.  That’s about it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3183 on: March 17, 2024, 01:57:01 PM »
They added Russell Wilson.  He’s a poor man’s Aaron Rodgers diva.  Fields development will be in the hands of Arthur Smith.  If they had a Tom Clements on that staff, I’d say maybe they save Fields. 

They saved money.  That’s about it.

It's not an improvement because Wilson is a diva?
Sit down, and let me tell you a story about a guy named Kenny Pickett ...

It's certainly hard to imagine Arthur Smith developing a disappointing first-round pick into a quality quarterback after he was traded away for a 6th round pick. Let me think on that one for a bit ...

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3184 on: March 17, 2024, 01:57:31 PM »
How do you square that with "Justin adds nothing. Crap QB who can't read the field. He will be a negative in the QB room."?

I think you're replying to the wrong post.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3185 on: March 17, 2024, 01:59:19 PM »
I guess so. My bad. I was confused with the thread.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3186 on: March 17, 2024, 02:10:20 PM »
ESPN’s Courtney Cronin reports the Bears had an offer with stronger draft capital for QB Justin Fields but chose the Steelers to “continue his development.”

That should be a fireable offense.  Poles actual job is to do what is best for the Bears. I'm just spit balling here, but my guess is that nowhere in his contract is there a clause about helping Justin find a good landing spot at the expense of the Bears' roster..

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3187 on: March 17, 2024, 02:14:14 PM »
It's not an improvement because Wilson is a diva?
Sit down, and let me tell you a story about a guy named Kenny Pickett ...

It's certainly hard to imagine Arthur Smith developing a disappointing first-round pick into a quality quarterback after he was traded away for a 6th round pick. Let me think on that one for a bit ...

Replacing one diva with another diva isn’t an improvement. 

Tannehill was a better QB than Fields has shown.  Fields is more dynamic but Tannehill had good seasons in Miami.

We’re going to disagree on this.  For Fields development, I believe he’d had have far better served going elsewhere

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3188 on: March 17, 2024, 02:40:08 PM »
ESPN’s Courtney Cronin reports the Bears had an offer with stronger draft capital for QB Justin Fields but chose the Steelers to “continue his development.”

That should be a fireable offense.  Poles actual job is to do what is best for the Bears. I'm just spit balling here, but my guess is that nowhere in his contract is there a clause about helping Justin find a good landing spot at the expense of the Bears' roster..
What you say is true. I will say, possibly the Bears FO gains a little street cred with NFL players and agents? Maybe some collateral benefit?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3189 on: March 17, 2024, 02:44:38 PM »
What you say is true. I will say, possibly the Bears FO gains a little street cred with NFL players and agents? Maybe some collateral benefit?

The more likely story is, the better offer came from a team they had no interest trading him to.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3190 on: March 17, 2024, 02:47:58 PM »
The more likely story is, the better offer came from a team they had no interest trading him to.

Right. Like an in-conference foe or someone they are slated to play next year.  Hell, maybe it was the Packers.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3191 on: March 17, 2024, 02:52:23 PM »
Right. Like an in-conference foe or someone they are slated to play next year.  Hell, maybe it was the Packers.

I thought the Rams or Niners might kick the tires on him.  They’re good spots for wayward QBs.  Don’t think the Rams would trade much for him, though.

Vikings could have been sniffing around, too

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3192 on: March 17, 2024, 03:04:25 PM »
I thought the Rams or Niners might kick the tires on him.  They’re good spots for wayward QBs.  Don’t think the Rams would trade much for him, though.

Vikings could have been sniffing around, too

I texted my one Viking fan friend that given the price, the Vikings should have offered slightly better to get him. A backfield of Jones and Fields would’ve been exciting, and it’s not like Darnold is a good QB.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3193 on: March 17, 2024, 03:09:44 PM »
I texted my one Viking fan friend that given the price, the Vikings should have offered slightly better to get him. A backfield of Jones and Fields would’ve been exciting, and it’s not like Darnold is a good QB.

I’m speculating it was the Vikings as a possibility.  Probably would have been before they added Darnold.

Bears could be blowing smoke like you said.  Seems unlikely they would turn down a better deal unless there was a reason

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3194 on: March 17, 2024, 04:01:53 PM »
Rapaport reports Fields asked Bears to ok trade to Pittsburgh versus 4 other options.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3195 on: March 17, 2024, 08:37:16 PM »
Rapaport reports Fields asked Bears to ok trade to Pittsburgh versus 4 other options.

If I'm Fields, I'd like to compete against the guy  who refuses to throw over the middle.

I'm inclined to think the Bears tried to do right by Fields but they were also never going to trade him in the division. They're not so secure that they think there's no way it'd backfire with the Vikes.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3196 on: March 19, 2024, 08:14:23 AM »
With the signing of Zeitler to play guard, Detroit now is in a draft position to take the best player available.   Draft for depth and development.   OL, DL, DB, WR, best available.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3197 on: March 20, 2024, 12:42:16 PM »
Lions may have to go out and get another corner.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3199 on: March 21, 2024, 03:03:18 PM »
Lions may have to go out and get another corner.
Lions definitely have to go out and get a corner.

Sutton released.