[June 19, 2024, 11:34:33 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 19, 2024, 10:13:47 PM]

Marquette NBA Thread by MU82
[June 19, 2024, 08:33:32 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Tyler COLEk
[June 19, 2024, 08:02:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Canadian Forest Fires  (Read 6546 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: Canadian Forest Fires
« Reply #125 on: June 28, 2023, 12:54:48 PM »
Smith

No kidding there has always been lazy workers, but that does not mean this cannot be the worst crop ever. There has always been varying degrees of workers at fast food joints and I would never say that the whole crew ever sucked. There are plenty of fast food workers that I have appreciated for their effort, even if the execution was suspect. Trying and being nice is part of life and if you cannot do that you should not accept a job.

I seriously did not think your link needed to be acknowledged because it was not really a point one could argue. As I noted in my previous post, my friend has never once bitched to be his staff until this past conversation. Brought up it was difficult to hire folks in passing, but never said that his workers are hurting more than helping at the moment.

You can take it any way you chose to take it. My wife, who has never griped over service in nearly 40 years of knowing her, has complained multiple times over the past month or so. Will add that in those 40 years she has defended every worker that I have bitched about, regardless of the position of the job. For her to be complaining there is an issue in the work force, IMO.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 01:03:20 PM by Goose »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #126 on: June 28, 2023, 12:56:19 PM »
IMO, if you eat anywhere but Chick-Fil-A or Culver's you're asking for bad service.  Whatever it is that those two places do, others should mimic.  They each recently moved into Topper's Kingdom and instantly became the best places for customer service.  How is it that McD's, Subway, Toppers, Wing Stop, Cousins and even Arby's had terrible customer service but Chick-Fil-A & Culver's show up and they have engaged, willing employees?  It has to go beyond just the compensation.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 01:19:26 PM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #127 on: June 28, 2023, 12:59:10 PM »
IMO, if you eat anywhere but Chick-Fil-A or Culver's you're asking for bad service.  Whatever it is that those two places do, others should mimic.  Two recently moved into Topper's Kingdom and instantly became the best places for custimer service.  How is it that McD's, Subway, Toppers, Wing Stop, Cousins and even Arby's had terrible custimer service but Chick-Fil-A & Culver's show up and they have engaged, willing employees.  It has to go beyond just the compensation.

Cattle prods which may have also started the Canadian fires.

Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #128 on: June 28, 2023, 01:03:53 PM »
The quality and the service have been outstanding at Tim Horton's.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #129 on: June 28, 2023, 01:17:37 PM »
As someone who has hired a number of low paid (sub $15 an hour) employees domestically and abroad, Ive seen the HUGE range of outcomes with the same compensation and training. 

Ive had people be terrible and unreliable and last less than a year, and then I have someone like my assembly lead who was very unskilled and low paid when he started but crushed it from day 1 and has nearly tripled his salary.  Ive overpaid people in India due to the difficulty in finding reliable staff only to see them get bored and go to another semi-low paid, unskilled job after a few months (something that is not at all uncommon).  On the other hand I have staff that started making a few hundred bucks a month and speaking no English and are now making more than double that and speak good enough English to carry on conversations with customers worldwide.
All have the same inputs and compensation, but with vastly different outcomes.

None of this is some "suck it up and pull yourself up by your bootstraps" boomer spiel.  And I fully acknowledge some jobs are awful and I can't imagine dealing with rude customer BS for minimum wages.

But I struggle with "well greedy companies/owners should just pay them more" as the easy solution.  I will fully own not having a perfect replacement solution, but experiencing it first hand, I find it very difficult to believe the lazy/careless/etc.. employee making $12/hr will suddenly show vast differences if they were making $16.  $20?  Maybe.  But again, you're now taking nearly double budgeting gambles on a level of employee that has a spotty track record of not only performance, but consistency or retention.

Incentivize/disincentivize?  Sure, something I strongly believe in for the former.  But for others (maybe the restaurant industry as discussed) the latter is tricky cause its hard to find replacement staff/time to train etc...

I don't disagree with any of this, except:
A) The straw men (did I write anything about " greedy companies/owners?")
B) The notion that what you've written her would have been any more or less accurate 20 years ago or 40 years ago.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #130 on: June 28, 2023, 01:50:14 PM »
I'm blamin' the fires on global warming. Bound ta happen. Let's all sit home on our fat asses and collect government stipends. Extend dis another couple yeers and da '24 election is in da bag. Did't y'all get your forest fire vaccination yet, hey?

Rocket could have babbled this comment any worse than you did

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #131 on: June 28, 2023, 01:56:16 PM »
Shoulda lernt bye now, never let a good crisis go to waste, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #132 on: June 28, 2023, 02:04:17 PM »
Love when people who have been around for like 0.03% of humankind claim times have never been worse.  I hope I keep perspective when I get old and don't claim the generation who I shaped and who I left to clean up after my mess is messing up the world, is the worst at everything, and my generation was always way better, the best there ever was.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #133 on: June 28, 2023, 02:07:04 PM »
bias

I have not read the entire thread, but who is bashing the younger generations?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #134 on: June 28, 2023, 02:13:39 PM »
Shoulda lernt bye now, never let a good crisis go to waste, aina?

Yes.  They’ve locked us in our houses, took our guns, made us go to drag shows, speak Spanish and get rid of gas cars since yesterday.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #135 on: June 28, 2023, 02:39:58 PM »
I don't disagree with any of this, except:
A) The straw men (did I write anything about " greedy companies/owners?")
B) The notion that what you've written her would have been any more or less accurate 20 years ago or 40 years ago.

I wasn't speaking to you personally on the first.  Just an overall sentiment.  That I'm sure was true 20-40 years ago as well, we just didn't have social media to splatter it everywhere. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #136 on: June 28, 2023, 02:51:58 PM »
Smith

No kidding there has always been lazy workers, but that does not mean this cannot be the worst crop ever. There has always been varying degrees of workers at fast food joints and I would never say that the whole crew ever sucked. There are plenty of fast food workers that I have appreciated for their effort, even if the execution was suspect. Trying and being nice is part of life and if you cannot do that you should not accept a job.

I certainly agree that like in any job, you are going to get a range of workers, and some will be much better than others and deserve the rewards that come with that effort and that skill. But on average, it isn't a job category that is going to attract skilled, motivated employees of course.

But as the evidence shows, this has been a complaint forever, it isn't something new. And the cries get loudest during periods of worker shortage and typically center around undesirable jobs like field workers, miners, unskilled and dangerous factory work, etc...like today.

But you brought up this line of argument in response to the drooling dentist's claim that people are lazy and just want to collect government handouts...which the 3.7% unemployment rate shows is yet another in the long list of unfounded grievances and resentments that fuel Fox viewers. (And set aside the fact that in the jobs we are talking about, a person can work full time and still might be eligible for SNAP, Medicaid, or and/or other government assistance).
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #137 on: June 28, 2023, 03:17:47 PM »
But I struggle with "well greedy companies/owners should just pay them more" as the easy solution.  I will fully own not having a perfect replacement solution, but experiencing it first hand, I find it very difficult to believe the lazy/careless/etc.. employee making $12/hr will suddenly show vast differences if they were making $16.  $20?  Maybe.  But again, you're now taking nearly double budgeting gambles on a level of employee that has a spotty track record of not only performance, but consistency or retention.

I don't think it's about crappy workers suddenly getting better with better compensation. I think it's about increasing the likelihood of attracting and retaining better workers with better compensation. Which theoretically allows you to terminate the crappy workers because you have less better workers leaving and have a pool of better workers applying to get hired.

Obviously with this low of unemployment rate, there aren't enough better workers to go around, so someone is going to get stuck with the crappy ones....unsurprisingly, it's mostly fast food joints.

IMO, if you eat anywhere but Chick-Fil-A or Culver's you're asking for bad service.  Whatever it is that those two places do, others should mimic.  They each recently moved into Topper's Kingdom and instantly became the best places for customer service.  How is it that McD's, Subway, Toppers, Wing Stop, Cousins and even Arby's had terrible customer service but Chick-Fil-A & Culver's show up and they have engaged, willing employees?  It has to go beyond just the compensation.

Honest question, do Chick-Fil-A and Culver's compensate their employees at the same rate? I honestly don't know. Are there other benefits to employment not provided by other places? From a customer's perspective, they clearly have more employees working every shift than any other fast food joint in the area. I would imagine having more people per shift leads to a better work environment. So maybe if it's not the rate they are hired at, it might be their willingness to pay for more labor to decrease the workload per person which in turn improves efficiency and the customer service experience.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #138 on: June 28, 2023, 03:37:16 PM »
You folks in Florida and Texas make sure you are up to date on your malaria vaccine.

While you are not worrying about the forest fires.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #139 on: June 28, 2023, 03:38:53 PM »
You folks in Florida and Texas make sure you are up to date on your malaria vaccine.

While you are not worrying about the forest fires.

Vaccines?  I read on scoop not to take any, pal.  And I believe the experts on scoop

tower912

• All American
« Reply #140 on: June 28, 2023, 03:45:58 PM »
True.  Ivermectin actually treats malaria.  So, never mind.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #141 on: June 28, 2023, 04:24:30 PM »
Sultan

I will trust the opinion of those that employ poor workers over your POV. In addition, I will take their thoughts on the economy as well. This isn't the first time that there has been low unemployment with the "tail end" of the workforce being active, but according to my friend this is the work staff he has ever had in 20+ years.

Hello

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #142 on: June 28, 2023, 04:28:30 PM »
Smith

I am not sure why any person would take a job and not try to be as top-notch as possible. In my world you do not take a job and protest the pay by being a poor worker. But, it seems like you and others are Ok with that thought process.

Because people have to work to be paid and afford life.  Doing the bare minimum isn't a new fad, it just gets renamed every decade or two so the opinion sections have something to talk about.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #143 on: June 28, 2023, 04:31:35 PM »
The quality and the service have been outstanding at Tim Horton's.

Not for a long time.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #144 on: June 28, 2023, 05:44:30 PM »
Guys, Putin is clearly losing the war in Iraq
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #145 on: June 28, 2023, 06:41:14 PM »
Yes, but 68% of the American public are concerned with the Buffoon's age. What the fook is wrong with the other 32%, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #146 on: June 28, 2023, 06:48:40 PM »
Yes, but 68% of the American public are concerned with the Buffoon's age. What the fook is wrong with the other 32%, hey?

And yet, he’s been taking advantage of this wildfire and limiting your freedoms.  It’s incredible.

Anyway, looks like the air quality will improve this weekend. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #147 on: June 28, 2023, 07:27:43 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #148 on: June 28, 2023, 09:31:36 PM »
Kids today, with their rock and their roll. It's the devil's music!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #149 on: June 28, 2023, 10:53:39 PM »

Part buffoon, part crime family mob boss.

It's a complicated legacy.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart