collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Did the the LA Dodgers Overstep?  (Read 3115 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: Did the the LA Dodgers Overstep?
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2023, 05:42:16 PM »
Why is this bigger news then the systemic rape of boys in the catholic church?

Because the Roman Catholic Church has in recent years dealt with the problem, been forthcoming and asked forgiveness.

I get that forgiveness with this one is hard. We had two pedophile priests at my high school working on my classmates while I was there. We all knew there were problems and nobody, not the diocese, not our parents and not the community at large, listened. One of my parents became very angry and said, "we don't talk about priests like that!" The non-sexual physical abuse in our classrooms that often led to sexual abuse  was disgusting and alarming. And it was the same priests, one of whom spent the last 25 years of life in the state correctional institution, who were doing both the physical and sexual abuse.

The assailants are, for the most part, dead. I'm hoping a just God put their souls on a spit and located them very close to the fires of the eternal flame. But, as a Christian and a Catholic I have to do the best I can to forgive the Church and the folks who did nothing to address the problem. We can't go back and correct our mistakes but we can do the best we can to make sure it never happens again.

Our Church is different today and while I'll never say never, I have to believe we're past it. The Bishops who serve us today; the priests who administer our parishes and try to bring us closer to God; and, the Deacons out in our communities, had nothing to do with it. And, when I was young, there were thousands upon thousands of good, hard-working priests who loved God and loved their job who had nothing to do with the predatory mess. The latter group is the group of people for whom I am thankful.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2023, 05:55:58 PM »
Because the Roman Catholic Church has in recent years dealt with the problem, been forthcoming and asked forgiveness.

I get that forgiveness with this one is hard. We had two pedophile priests at my high school working on my classmates while I was there. We all knew there were problems and nobody, not the diocese, not our parents and not the community at large, listened. One of my parents became very angry and said, "we don't talk about priests like that!" The non-sexual physical abuse in our classrooms that often led to sexual abuse  was disgusting and alarming. And it was the same priests, one of whom spent the last 25 years of life in the state correctional institution, who were doing both the physical and sexual abuse.

The assailants are, for the most part, dead. I'm hoping a just God put their souls on a spit and located them very close to the fires of the eternal flame. But, as a Christian and a Catholic I have to do the best I can to forgive the Church and the folks who did nothing to address the problem. We can't go back and correct our mistakes but we can do the best we can to make sure it never happens again.

Our Church is different today and while I'll never say never, I have to believe we're past it. The Bishops who serve us today; the priests who administer our parishes and try to bring us closer to God; and, the Deacons out in our communities, had nothing to do with it. And, when I was young, there were thousands upon thousands of good, hard-working priests who loved God and loved their job who had nothing to do with the predatory mess. The latter group is the group of people for whom I am thankful.

It has only been forthcoming on the issue because of media attention, investigations by state authorities and legal action from victims.

NextChampionship

• Walk-On
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2023, 07:13:25 PM »
Very interesting, nuanced column by a gay Catholic who has researched the Catholic  Church’s response to the AIDS epidemic on the Dodgers/Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence issue:

https://outreach.faith/2023/05/who-are-the-sisters-of-perpetual-indulgence-and-why-does-a-real-catholic-sister-see-them-as-kindred-spirits/

The real sister he interviews is very understanding of the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, but intend to side with his personal views here:

What causes me some unease about the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, however, especially at this particular moment, is that their costumes mock women who wield relatively little power, especially in the church. These women are often responsible for creating some of the most LGBTQ-affirming spaces in an institution that can regularly feel unwelcoming to the community.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2023, 07:50:33 PM »
It has only been forthcoming on the issue because of media attention, investigations by state authorities and legal action from victims.

Maybe, but perhaps some of God's love and a true commitment to forgiveness shone through as well.

Perhaps what we've learned is that priests and nuns aren't perfect and that the oversight of our church was, candidly, lacking. There's much better controls on our communities today than in years past and, regardless of the motivation, we know that our people are more important than our institutions.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2023, 07:58:27 PM »
Maybe, but perhaps some of God's love and a true commitment to forgiveness shone through as well.

Perhaps what we've learned is that priests and nuns aren't perfect and that the oversight of our church was, candidly, lacking. There's much better controls on our communities today than in years past and, regardless of the motivation, we know that our people are more important than our institutions.

I’ve been taught god forgives those that are truly sorry, not just sorry they got caught.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2023, 10:53:08 PM »
I’ve been taught god forgives those that are truly sorry, not just sorry they got caught.

Who were you taught decides which are which?