[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: A future ESPN 30 for 30 episode is unfolding before our eyes....  (Read 18629 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: A future ESPN 30 for 30 episode is unfolding before our eyes....
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2023, 04:51:51 PM »
Jimmy has a great story and I respect the hell out of how he plays. But I have a hard time rooting for someone who publicly craps on my alma mater regularly. Even a Domer like Pat Connaughton shows Marquette more respect.

He's a fine NBA player, but right now I certainly don't regard him as a Marquette player.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2023, 05:32:43 PM »
Jimmy has a great story and I respect the hell out of how he plays. But I have a hard time rooting for someone who publicly craps on my alma mater regularly. Even a Domer like Pat Connaughton shows Marquette more respect.

He's a fine NBA player, but right now I certainly don't regard him as a Marquette player.

I don’t think he craps on Marquette regularly. He’s pretty quiet about it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2023, 05:50:17 PM »
Is there any publicly available coverage of Jimmy criticizing or distancing himself from MU? I have never seen this outside of unspecific scoop chatter.

My two cents is that Jimmy’s NBA run is signficantly underrecognized by MU and this board. Maybe there’s a reason for the former, but I’m not aware of it. This guy has put together an astonishing career as the second best pro to ever come through Marquette.

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2023, 06:06:09 PM »
Granted it’s four years ago but… 🤷‍♂️

https://youtu.be/EuwLN1x3_ds

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2023, 06:24:44 PM »
Is there any publicly available coverage of Jimmy criticizing or distancing himself from MU? I have never seen this outside of unspecific scoop chatter.

My two cents is that Jimmy’s NBA run is signficantly underrecognized by MU and this board. Maybe there’s a reason for the former, but I’m not aware of it. This guy has put together an astonishing career as the second best pro to ever come through Marquette.

He allegedly avoids returning to MU while most of the other former high profile MU basketball alums have come back and spoken to the team during Shaka’s time. He went and shot around at MSOE rather than MU during their series against Marquette. He allegedly did not provide a congratulation/well wishes video to Barb while most other high profile #mumbb alum did. Someone shared a video of him after game 5 in Milwaukee saying something along the lines of “Get me the eff up outta here. Tyler Community College alum.”

I think he gets his fair share of praise from MU and from Scoop. MU posts on social media every round they advance and every big game he has. I would assume they’ve reached out to try to get him back on campus since Shaka arrived. He seems uninterested.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 06:26:21 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2023, 07:03:55 PM »
He allegedly avoids returning to MU while most of the other former high profile MU basketball alums have come back and spoken to the team during Shaka’s time. He went and shot around at MSOE rather than MU during their series against Marquette. He allegedly did not provide a congratulation/well wishes video to Barb while most other high profile #mumbb alum did. Someone shared a video of him after game 5 in Milwaukee saying something along the lines of “Get me the eff up outta here. Tyler Community College alum.”

I think he gets his fair share of praise from MU and from Scoop. MU posts on social media every round they advance and every big game he has. I would assume they’ve reached out to try to get him back on campus since Shaka arrived. He seems uninterested.

Thanks for the round up. It seems that there’s some missing context to why he’s disengaged. Would love to know it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2023, 08:05:40 PM »
Why is being friends with Mark Wahlberg bad?

Dwyane Wade is friends with Tom Crean, that's way worse.

Jimmy demands excellence from everyone around him and lo and behold he found it in Miami with Pat Riley + Eric Spo.  Heat Culture is to "out work everyone". How can one not root for that.

What has KAT or Ben Simmons ever done?  Why are you siding with them?  Jimmy is a grinder, he personifies what #mubb is when #mubb is at its best.  We're gonna see it next season when Justin & O Max join the league.  Just like Wes, Jae, Dwight & JTA before them.  Same with Wade, he wasn't annointed.

This. A thousand times this.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2023, 08:51:34 PM »
Why is being friends with Mark Wahlberg bad?

I have no idea what Marky Mark is like now, but he has a pretty disgusting history:

https://time.com/3623630/mark-wahlberg-pardon/
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU86NC

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2023, 08:55:12 PM »
I've seen it since his time in college.  I think people still root for the guy because he played at Marquette and is having success in the NBA, but I think his "character" is starting to be "revealed" the more we see of him.  But most people don't want to say it.  Which is fine, never meet your heroes.  But that water bottle full of sand has been tipped over and we see what's inside of it.
Character revealed?  Get a clue…. Like most of the greats MJ included don’t operate the same as most…  Jimmy will be back in the fold….

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2023, 09:42:29 PM »
I have no idea what Marky Mark is like now, but he has a pretty disgusting history:

Two peas in a pod.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2023, 09:59:09 PM »
I mean, come on…how can you not be proud of JFB?

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2023, 10:04:01 PM »
Solid role player

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2023, 10:08:59 PM »

This is where I'm at. If he doesn't want anything to do with MU, then I won't root for him like the other alums.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2023, 10:09:47 PM »

Old news - High school drop out street punk who seems to have done a good job rehabilitating himself. Jimmy’s OK with his racism being youthful stupidity and a thing of the past so I am too.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2023, 10:38:55 PM »
Old news - High school drop out street punk who seems to have done a good job rehabilitating himself. Jimmy’s OK with his racism being youthful stupidity and a thing of the past so I am too.

That's a fine position to have. I believe in second chances and rehabilitation and like I said I have no idea what Wahlberg is like now.

But let's be clear. Wahlberg didn't send some unfortunate tweets or say something offensive while being recorded. He was charged with attempted murder for beating a Vietnamese man with a wooden pole. He took a plea bargain to drop the charge to assault. I think it is disingenuous to label that as "youthful stupidity".
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2023, 10:39:54 PM »
Two peas in a pod.

You keep me out of this. I am just providing information about Wahlberg since a question was asked.
TAMU

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2023, 12:53:55 AM »
I've posted before about my friends meeting Butler in rural France and how gracious and engaging he was to them. They told him that they had a buddy who was a fan and would he write an autograph. He wrote:

"Mutaman
Go Warriors/Eagles
Jimmy 23"

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2023, 05:32:32 AM »
I suspect JFB will come back around once he retires. I suspect he uses a me-against-the-world / abandonment mentality to motivate himself. If I were him, I’d probably be having an internal dialogue about how no one respected him at his former stops and how he needs to prove them all wrong. Great competitors like Jimmy need that type of stuff, especially once they get close to the mountaintop.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2023, 05:38:51 AM »
As for former Warriors who excelled in da Association, Butler's on Mt. Rushmore with Wade, Lucas, and Chones, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2023, 06:54:52 AM »
I don't care whether it's basketball or industry, I respect the people who work harder, practice more, try harder, never give up and get results because of that approach.

I also find that these type of people have an "edge".

That's the best part of them.  If you can't enjoy it or at least respect it then you're probably not one of the ones working harder, practicing more, trying harder, etc. 

And yes, this is about life, not basketball.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2023, 07:44:39 AM »

I have no idea what’s behind the rift between Jimmy and MU, but did you ever consider for even a moment that Marquette might bear some of the responsibility? Our alma mater isn’t perfect.

Or maybe he reads Scoop and and tired of the libelous BS spewed by bias on a regular basis.

Nothing I’ve seen from JFB suggests he’s a dick. What I do see I find admirable. I hope he and MU can figure things out, but I’ll continue to support both. Choosing who’s right or wrong in a divorce without knowing all the details is a fool’s errand.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2023, 07:54:01 AM »
I definitely find myself pulling for Butler. What he is doing is pretty historic. Miami has their second MU legend in the last 20 years.

I don’t think the reason for his absence around MU is due to any sinister or unforgivable reason. If it was, I would doubt that MU would be publicly supporting him like they are on social media. After he dropped 50+ on the bucks, they tweeted “legendary.” They regularly post about him on Instagram with the latest post being less than 24 hours ago. Wade obviously didn’t get the memo as he said recently “something about when those Marquette boys put on heat jerseys.”

Since nobody is really offering much info on why Butler doesn’t hang around MU, I’ll take a wild stab at the reason. I think it’s primarily due to a clash with some of his former teammates. Lots of competitiveness from that group and wouldn’t be surprised if they aren’t the best of buds now. I have no inside info but I’d think it’s something along those lines.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2023, 08:02:29 AM »
I have no idea what’s behind the rift between Jimmy and MU, but did you ever consider for even a moment that Marquette might bear some of the responsibility? Our alma mater isn’t perfect.

Or maybe he reads Scoop and and tired of the libelous BS spewed by bias on a regular basis.

Nothing I’ve seen from JFB suggests he’s a dick. What I do see I find admirable. I hope he and MU can figure things out, but I’ll continue to support both. Choosing who’s right or wrong in a divorce without knowing all the details is a fool’s errand.

I never said Marquette was perfect. But comparing it to a divorce is just silly. If he's going to publicly crap on where I came from when he comes to Milwaukee, my choice is to not cheer for him. I won't cheer against him, nor will I hold it against those that do, but his "get me the F out of here" felt very personal to me. If his response is F Marquette (which is exactly how I took that) then my response is in kind.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2023, 08:04:03 AM »
MU social media has been on a 24/7 Jimmy Love Fest cruise for two weeks now.

Brew you fired Wojo, can’t you get MU in line and not promote a player that hates them so much?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2023, 08:12:41 AM »
but his "get me the F out of here" felt very personal to me.

Omg, save the drama. 

The 7 years of Wojo and everything that came with it were far more offensive than this. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart