[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Huggins Uses Homophobic Slur  (Read 9954 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Huggins Uses Homophobic Slur
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2023, 10:03:57 AM »
@PeteThamel Sources: WVU and coach Bob Huggins are finalizing details for him to return to the sideline next season in the wake of him using an anti-gay slur in a radio interview earlier this week. He's expected to receive a suspension, $1 million salary reduction and sensitivity training.

I know it won't be a popular opinion here but I think this is a fair punishment. A million dollar salary reduction is not insignificant.

I don't care much if he stays or goes, but this reduces his salary all the way down to $3.2 million. Not bad for a guy who's won one tournament game since 2018.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 10:18:08 AM by Pakuni »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2023, 10:14:56 AM »
I think it was pretty clear from the booster and political support that he was going to be staying.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2023, 10:16:27 AM »
They should get Joe Mazulla after the Celts lose fame 6.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2023, 10:19:25 AM »
WVU is punishing itself -- they'll still be paying millions to a past-his-time coach who hasn't won squat in years.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2023, 10:35:41 AM »
@PeteThamel Sources: WVU and coach Bob Huggins are finalizing details for him to return to the sideline next season in the wake of him using an anti-gay slur in a radio interview earlier this week. He's expected to receive a suspension, $1 million salary reduction and sensitivity training.

I know it won't be a popular opinion here but I think this is a fair punishment. A million dollar salary reduction is not insignificant.
I think it is fair.

Sure does support the assertion in this thread that f*g and the N word are not in the same ballpark. Some are more equal than others.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2023, 10:36:07 AM »
We talk a big game for a program that has 1 Tournament wins in the last 11 seasons.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2023, 10:44:10 AM »
We talk a big game for a program that has 1 Tournament wins in the last 11 seasons.

LOL. It was last year. The coach who is responsible for most of that streak is gone.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2023, 11:37:11 AM »

LOL. It was last year. The coach who is responsible for most of that streak is gone.

It's not like Shaka has had much more success than "the coach who is responsible for most of the streak" over the past decade, either.

I think Shaka is great.  I think he's a perfect match for Marquette.  I think he will have huge success here, including in March.  But he lost by 32 to an 8 seed and then got upset by a 7 seed in his two seasons so far.  He wasn't expected to make the Tournament going into either of those seasons so they were still successful seasons, I just find it funny that we're turning our nose up on a coach who "only has 1 Tourney win since 2018" when our program has one Tourney win since 2013.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2023, 11:51:50 AM »
It's not like Shaka has had much more success than "the coach who is responsible for most of the streak" over the past decade, either.

He has one Big East regular season championship, one Big East tournament championship, and one NCAA tournament victory. By any reasonable assessment, this is "much more" success than Wojo had.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2023, 11:53:08 AM »

Is it really talking a big game to point out that, even with this reduction, Huggins is well-compensated given his recent record of success?
Huggins was the 8th highest paid coach in the country last year. His program won 20+ games once in the past five seasons.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2023, 12:00:13 PM »
He has one Big East regular season championship, one Big East tournament championship, and one NCAA tournament victory. By any reasonable assessment, this is "much more" success than Wojo had.

Yes.  But I'm using the same criteria people are using to talk Huggins down as a basketball coach (1 Tourney win since 2018).

Wojo has 0 NCAA Tournament wins in the last decade.  Shaka has 1 NCAA Tournament win in the last decade.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2023, 12:01:25 PM »
I don't care much if he stays or goes, but this reduces his salary all the way down to $3.2 million. Not bad for a guy who's won one tournament game since 2018.

You’re right but the fact is D1 coaches get rich. Wojo got over 2 million in his last year at MU and a whole bunch more to leave - and he never won an NCAA tournament game. Huggins has 14 NCAA wins, 4 S16s and a Final Four at WVU. IMO he’s earned his $.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2023, 12:19:41 PM »
Love that in a weird rush to defend Bob Huggins' recent run of mediocrity, people are setting Wojo as the bar for success.
"Wojo didn't win tournament games either" is hardly a ringing endorsement of Huggy Bear.
And, frankly, neither is his past success. Ben Howland won a lot of games, too. Don't see anyone arguing that he deserves $4 million a year today because of it.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2023, 12:22:48 PM »
…how many tourney wins for Marquette since 2018?
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2023, 12:47:32 PM »
…how many tourney wins for Marquette since 2018?

Like I was saying ...

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2023, 12:53:23 PM »
That dhead should be forced to say 10,000 Hail Mary’s.

Hopefully MU82 goes to a WVU game this year and tosses his full collection of d1ld0s on the court
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2023, 01:08:13 PM »
Yes.  But I'm using the same criteria people are using to talk Huggins down as a basketball coach (1 Tourney win since 2018).

Wojo has 0 NCAA Tournament wins in the last decade.  Shaka has 1 NCAA Tournament win in the last decade.

Shaka's been here two seasons.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2023, 01:18:56 PM »

correct. Shaka has been here two seasons, which means?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2023, 01:21:25 PM »

Suspended 3 games.

Multi year contract becomes a year by year contract.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2023, 01:41:57 PM »

And he was at a better program than Marquette (and West Virginia) for the 6 seasons prior and won 0 NCAA Tournament games.

I'm not even trying to bash Shaka.  I just think it's ridiculous for the Marquette fanbase, with where the program has been over the last decade, to bash a coach because he's only won 1 NCAA Tournament game in the last 5 years.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2023, 01:45:43 PM »
And he was at a better program than Marquette (and West Virginia) for the 6 seasons prior and won 0 NCAA Tournament games.

I'm not even trying to bash Shaka.  I just think it's ridiculous for the Marquette fanbase, with where the program has been over the last decade, to bash a coach because he's only won 1 NCAA Tournament game in the last 5 years.
He's being bashed because he's a bigot, first and foremost.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2023, 02:11:27 PM »

Yeah, that's pretty odd. One's ability to be critical of a coach - in this case, mildly critical - shouldn't be dependent on their favorite program's relative success.
By that logic, no one should have ever had a bad word for Coach K.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 02:29:10 PM by Pakuni »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2023, 02:38:37 PM »
You guys just need to accept that bias was dropped on his head as a kid repeatedly.   Logic escapes they.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2023, 02:52:13 PM »

So we can't be critical of a coach because Marquette's program hasn't met expectations?  How on earth does that make sense?

Viper

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2023, 02:57:57 PM »
He's being bashed because he's a bigot, first and foremost.
Huggins is a bigot, or used unfortunate speak?

feedback