[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: For Muggsy…..  (Read 838 times)

real chili 83

• All American
For Muggsy…..
« on: April 23, 2023, 08:41:29 AM »
Guessing you are watching.  ;D

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: For Muggsy…..
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2023, 11:03:42 AM »
I missed it.  We must respect our marine mammals. 

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2023, 11:09:15 AM »
I missed it.  We must respect our marine mammals.

Your love of "All Creatures Great and Small" is admirable Muggsy, but I have a question for you. Are you a vegetarian? Not trying to be a smart ass. Just an honest question.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2023, 11:14:50 AM »
Your love of "All Creatures Great and Small" is admirable Muggsy, but I have a question for you. Are you a vegetarian? Not trying to be a smart ass. Just an honest question.

No.   But I'm adamant about protecting endangered species. 

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2023, 11:53:05 AM »
No.   But I'm adamant about protecting endangered species.

Agree. I really love animals also and I eat meat. I do not find the two incompatible but understand those who do.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2023, 12:15:31 PM »
Agree. I really love animals also and I eat meat. I do not find the two incompatible but understand those who do.

I've tried a few times to go vegan but felt like I couldn't get enough protein and was never full.  I don't eat much red meat and eat a lot of fish/seafood but it can get really expensive to be honest.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2023, 12:40:23 PM »
I've tried a few times to go vegan but felt like I couldn't get enough protein and was never full.  I don't eat much red meat and eat a lot of fish/seafood but it can get really expensive to be honest.

Never tried vegetarian or vegan. In addition to "fish/seafood", we eat chicken often and sometimes my wife will prepare a meatless dinner (usually at least once a week). With minimal waste, seafood is not as expensive as it first seems vs. meat due to meat's often high waste, but yes, it can get pricey. Red meat is usually not in our diet, but when I see smoked bar BBQ offered at a roadside stand, I go for it. In Virginia, it's moist pork (unlike rather dry NC BBQ) and is served with a tangy sauce rather and cole slaw.

Fresh seafood (especially shellfish) is far better than frozen in my opinion, but living inland means what is sold as fresh in the stores often has a little age to it. I loved buying fresh seafood in Virginia Beach from a small store right by the docks where the watermen (VA term for fisherman/crabber/shrimper etc.) unloaded their catch and it went directly into the store. Then my purchases were in the pan as soon as I got home. Absolutely delicious!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2023, 01:10:20 PM »
Never tried vegetarian or vegan. In addition to "fish/seafood", we eat chicken often and sometimes my wife will prepare a meatless dinner (usually at least once a week). With minimal waste, seafood is not as expensive as it first seems vs. meat due to meat's often high waste, but yes, it can get pricey. Red meat is usually not in our diet, but when I see smoked bar BBQ offered at a roadside stand, I go for it. In Virginia, it's moist pork (unlike rather dry NC BBQ) and is served with a tangy sauce rather and cole slaw.

Fresh seafood (especially shellfish) is far better than frozen in my opinion, but living inland means what is sold as fresh in the stores often has a little age to it. I loved buying fresh seafood in Virginia Beach from a small store right by the docks where the watermen (VA term for fisherman/crabber/shrimper etc.) unloaded their catch and it went directly into the store. Then my purchases were in the pan as soon as I got home. Absolutely delicious!

I generally only buy fresh seafood although occasionally I buy premier (raw) frozen shrimp. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 04:39:43 PM by MuggsyB »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2023, 04:08:40 PM »

To me vegan is ridiculous. I've done the vegetarian route for a couple months, just to see if I could. At first protein intake was an issue (my diet is very high protein), but after a week or two, I figured out what I could eat and getting the protein intake was pretty easy.

Won't be doing it again, and have no problem with red meat, chicken and seafood. The way I look at it, at this point in the evolution of species, if we quit eating red meat and chicken, both cattle and chicken will go extinct, they exist at this point in human society as a food source.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2023, 04:40:20 PM »
To me vegan is ridiculous. I've done the vegetarian route for a couple months, just to see if I could. At first protein intake was an issue (my diet is very high protein), but after a week or two, I figured out what I could eat and getting the protein intake was pretty easy.

Won't be doing it again, and have no problem with red meat, chicken and seafood. The way I look at it, at this point in the evolution of species, if we quit eating red meat and chicken, both cattle and chicken will go extinct, they exist at this point in human society as a food source.

I think that's fair. 

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2023, 05:13:38 PM »

I have been pescatarian (but mostly shrimp, only occasional fish-fish) for about two years. My biggest issue is that chickpeas, tofu, and beans all have a bunch of carbs. So getting enough protein also means consuming more carbs in addition to the carbs I already eat.  When I first made the switch I read a lot of things that said "hey there are tons of alternative protein sources." That's true, but there is also a bit of a ripple effect there. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2023, 05:41:12 PM »
I have been pescatarian (but mostly shrimp, only occasional fish-fish) for about two years. My biggest issue is that chickpeas, tofu, and beans all have a bunch of carbs. So getting enough protein also means consuming more carbs in addition to the carbs I already eat.  When I first made the switch I read a lot of things that said "hey there are tons of alternative protein sources." That's true, but there is also a bit of a ripple effect there.

Great point.  I try to limit my carbs although it's tough.  I generally don't eat fried food or dessert.  I found it difficult to get my protein from legumes because it just never made me full unless I added more carbs.  What I do know, beyond moderation and exercise, is that countries with fish based diets have the healthiest citizens.  It's generally more expensive if you want fresh seafood (unless you're a sea otter) but I feel it's worth it in the long run.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2023, 03:44:00 AM »
I agree with most here.  I adore beef, but if I moved/lived somewhere with a steady stream of fresh and reasonable cost seafood (as opposed to what you find at even a nice market elsewhere), I could see myself cutting out most other proteins.

The one thing I do chuckle about with "fresh seafood" came from a fish purveyor my grandparents were friendly with in Florida.  He said "unless you're talking line caught fish from less than a few miles out that deliver to shore every morning, EVERY bit of seafood is frozen at sometime.  Yea it might not be an ice chunk like the vacuum sealed filet in a freezer bag, but that catch is flash frozen as soon as it gets on a boat.  Even the incredible sushi grade salmon and tuna.  You're not catching a fish 50 miles off shore and keeping it "fresh, non frozen" until its to the fish market or final point of sale."

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2023, 08:03:20 AM »
I agree with most here.  I adore beef, but if I moved/lived somewhere with a steady stream of fresh and reasonable cost seafood (as opposed to what you find at even a nice market elsewhere), I could see myself cutting out most other proteins.

The one thing I do chuckle about with "fresh seafood" came from a fish purveyor my grandparents were friendly with in Florida.  He said "unless you're talking line caught fish from less than a few miles out that deliver to shore every morning, EVERY bit of seafood is frozen at sometime.  Yea it might not be an ice chunk like the vacuum sealed filet in a freezer bag, but that catch is flash frozen as soon as it gets on a boat.  Even the incredible sushi grade salmon and tuna.  You're not catching a fish 50 miles off shore and keeping it "fresh, non frozen" until its to the fish market or final point of sale."
This, unless the dayboat fisherman is skilled at the art of preventing rigor mortis, your best seafood is "flash frozen"

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2023, 08:07:58 AM »
If God had not wanted us to eat cows (and steers), She would not have made cows (and steers) so tasty!

feedback