[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Omax declares  (Read 86590 times)

CountryRoads

• All American
Re: Omax declares
« Reply #325 on: April 21, 2023, 10:33:14 AM »
Totally disagree. I think the combo of Job and Ben Gold will be fine.

I’m in the same boat. If Joplin entered the transfer portal, he would be right near the top of the rankings and would be the type of transfer we would be looking to add anyway.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #326 on: April 21, 2023, 12:17:41 PM »
Totally disagree. I think the combo of Job and Ben Gold will be fine.

Job is in for a whale of a season. You can book it!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #327 on: April 21, 2023, 12:36:56 PM »
I’m in the same boat. If Joplin entered the transfer portal, he would be right near the top of the rankings and would be the type of transfer we would be looking to add anyway.

This is exactly right. If we could add a high major 6'7" wing with two years left who averaged double-digit scoring off the bench, had a better defensive rebounding percentage than O-Max, and shot 40% from three, we would be wildly excited, saying he was the difference maker we needed to win the title. This isn't to diminish O-Max, we are better with him, but we go from surefire top-3 team with him to still top-10 team without him.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #328 on: April 21, 2023, 12:38:59 PM »
NM
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 12:50:29 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

kclem

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #329 on: April 21, 2023, 12:40:21 PM »
Last year I was disappointed that we didn't add a high impact transfer after losing Justin Lewis, Darryl Morsell, Greg Elliot, and Kur Kuath. We earned a two seed.
This year, even if we do lose OMax, I'll place my trust in Shaka.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #330 on: April 21, 2023, 12:42:04 PM »

That's a great point.

Let's say Joplin put up the exact same stats at Auburn and was the SEC's 6th Man of the Year. And let's say he then entered the transfer portal. Lots of us here would be saying, "With O-Max maybe leaving, I sure hope Shaka is looking at this Joplin kid!"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #331 on: April 21, 2023, 12:43:47 PM »
Who takes Joplin's roll if OMax stays in the Draft and Jop is our big time addition to the starting lineup?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #332 on: April 21, 2023, 12:45:08 PM »
Who takes Joplin's roll if OMax stays in the Draft and Jop is our big time addition to the starting lineup?

Chase and Zaide
Bring back FFP!!!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #333 on: April 21, 2023, 12:45:47 PM »
Ben Gold.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #334 on: April 21, 2023, 12:49:58 PM »

That's also a great point, as the scenario above obviously would affect the depth.

Numerically, and from what observers are saying about skill level, perhaps the answer would be some combination of Gold, Ross and Norman. But bringing Norman or Ross off the bench to play a role similar to what Joplin did this past season, we'd be giving up a lot of size; and bringing Gold in we'd be using our only backup 5 in a different role.

It's fun to speculate about all of this, but until we know what O-Max actually is gonna do that's all it is.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #335 on: April 21, 2023, 12:51:35 PM »

Agreed, thats a spot we could use some help. See my post in the portal thread:

Given that Omax could come back, and we have decent replacement options for him regardless: I'd like to see Shaka bring in someone in the mold of Kolek/Omax. A kid with multiple years of eligibility, promising freshman year performance, who doesn't need immediately playing time, but could play right off the bat if need be. A 4 or 5 would be ideal, given the glut of guards on the roster. Certainly not a ton of those out there but given Shaka's success with Tyler/Omax I think we could make a solid case.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #336 on: April 21, 2023, 12:56:08 PM »

I lean toward Gold. I was encouraged when they played him alongside Oso more and more late in the season. He just continued to look better on both ends as the year went on.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #337 on: April 21, 2023, 12:59:31 PM »
I lean toward Gold. I was encouraged when they played him alongside Oso more and more late in the season. He just continued to look better on both ends as the year went on.

Isn’t the question who takes Jop’s role? Jop takes the Omax role and then Chase/Zaide take the Jop role. I think Ben remains the backup for Oso and Jop in his new Omax spot
Bring back FFP!!!

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #338 on: April 21, 2023, 01:06:40 PM »

Here is how next year's underclassmen fall in terms of recruiting rankings:

• Tre Norman - 4* (.9664)
  • Al Amadou - 3* (.9334)
  • Zaide Lowery - 3* (.9306)
  • Sean Jones - 3* (.9216)
  • Chase Ross - 3* (.9028)

247 doesn't have rankings for international recruits.

I think the most logical assumption is that Chase and/or Ben will step up and fill in Joplin's role. I think it's absolutely reasonable to believe that some combination of next year's freshman will be able to back fill those reserve minutes that Chase and Ben played this season.

I hope O-Max returns -- I agree that he was a big part of the team and is not easily replaced. And I'm totally open to a transfer if the staff thinks it makes sense. But even if O-Max doesn't return and we don't get a transfer, I think the addition of three solid freshman recruits will give the team some options.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #339 on: April 21, 2023, 01:10:25 PM »
I expect Zaire or Tray to take Jop’s roll
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #340 on: April 21, 2023, 01:11:45 PM »
Isn’t the question who takes Jop’s role? Jop takes the Omax role and then Chase/Zaide take the Jop role. I think Ben remains the backup for Oso and Jop in his new Omax spot

That's what I was answering. I think Gold remains Oso's backup, but I think he can continue to play the 3/4 as well. His length and athleticism allows him to fit well in our mostly positionless system.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #341 on: April 21, 2023, 02:12:46 PM »
It is possible that Jop keeps his role and Gold starts.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #342 on: April 21, 2023, 02:25:14 PM »
It is possible that Jop keeps his role and Gold starts.

Seems unlikely…….you wouldn’t want to risk early fouls on your starting 5 man and your only viable back up 5 man.

If you don’t add someone( if OMax leaves) you better be sure that  Amadou is ready to contribute if needed…..or you are 1 injury away from having 2 players in the rotation taller then 6’5.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #343 on: April 21, 2023, 02:26:59 PM »
I expect Zaire or Tray to take Jop’s roll

Ha! 

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #344 on: April 21, 2023, 03:28:01 PM »
Ha!

I would think it is Amadou.

He's 6'8" and can shoot.
VIOLENCE!

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #345 on: April 21, 2023, 03:28:55 PM »
We'll see if Ama-Can-Do
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #346 on: April 21, 2023, 10:49:44 PM »
We'll see if Ama-Can-Do

Summer will be an important time to incorporate the freshman. Zaide has played in a high level league and did very well.  He might be more ready to play, plus he seems to be physically ready.  What I see is 12 kids that can play, Omax would be missed. He will probably get a two way contract because he will not be drafted.  He spends way to much time falling down as he needs to add muscle.  To inconsistent right now.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #347 on: April 21, 2023, 11:39:38 PM »
I’ve noticed a few things in this thread

1- very little talk of Sean Jones 22 makes me think that scoop faithful consider him deep bench next man out fodder
2- not as many Tre Norman expectations as I would have imagined.

I’ll give my prediction.
If OMax returns- same starting 5
TyKo, Kam, Stevie, OMax, Oso.
First three off the bench Jop, Tre, SJ22

I think Tre gets more minutes that Stevie by years end, Stevie becomes 6th man lockdown versatile guard that can score some in spurts. Sean spells the 1/2, Tre spells the 2/3, Jop spells the 3/4 depending on matchups.

If Omax doesn’t continue to develop Jop passes him up in minutes due to his elite scoring ability- that’s one of the risks of OMax returning. If you can’t beat out Jop you can’t beat out NBA dudes tho, so come on back OMax.

Btw that first 8 above is an Elite8 at worst type squad barring a disaster.

And I haven’t even mentioned the 4th guy off the bench, Ben to spell Oso at the 5. Then there’s Zaide Lowery and Al Amadou. I’m most excited about Zaide from next years class, which might seem insane with what I said about Tre above, but it sort of reminds me of the DawsonG/JLew class where I knew that Lewis would become a Marquette favorite.
I think Zaide will have the longer, more fruitful MU career but it will take him a bit more time to transition.

I got down this far and just realized I missed Chase Ross.
Now it becomes clear to see why Shaka isn’t going nuts in the portal.
In the above scenario Ross slides in off the bench in the group with Jop, Ross, Tre, SJ22. Ross spells the 2/3 with Tre, but there aren’t a lot of minutes to be had there so now we are logjammin.

If OMax doesn’t return.
TyKo, Kam, Tre, Jop, Oso starting 5.
Stevie (spells 1-3), Chase (spells 2-4), SJ22 (spells 1/2), Ben (spells 4/5), Zaide (3/4) and Al with limited minutes.

I’m sure my Tre prediction will surprise most, but I think the hype might be real in the short term. Not sure how it ends up long term until we see him play regularly. I also think Stevie is an amazing kid, the best ball defender on the team, but destined to a super sub 6th man elite guard defender role until I see otherwise.
I think he finds a nice role in a championship caliber MU team, just like he found a nice roll in a BE championship MU team.

What stands out to me is how much “cleaner” the sans OMax prediction squad is- easier roles, easier to find guys minutes, better build up and experience for the future etc.
What also stands out is how much more elite the with OMax squad is.
That’s a championship squad, the one without him is a good squad that will need a lot to come together to become a championship squad.

When you push good players into a reserve role because upperclassmen that can’t lose their starting spot are running the show you get a lot of good results.
If Kolek stumbles a bit so what, there’s guys to step in and the team is so stacked that it’ll be ok.
Same with Omax, or Kam, but maybe still not Oso (let’s go Shaka with that portal Magic!)

If OMax leaves the margin for error becomes much smaller. The future develops quicker and that’s good, but in this day and age you don’t get runs at magic often.

Hope he comes back

Viper

• All American
« Reply #348 on: April 22, 2023, 06:30:27 AM »
I’ve noticed a few things in this thread

1- very little talk of Sean Jones 22 makes me think that scoop faithful consider him deep bench next man out fodder
2- not as many Tre Norman expectations as I would have imagined.

I’ll give my prediction.
If OMax returns- same starting 5
TyKo, Kam, Stevie, OMax, Oso.
First three off the bench Jop, Tre, SJ22

I think Tre gets more minutes that Stevie by years end, Stevie becomes 6th man lockdown versatile guard that can score some in spurts. Sean spells the 1/2, Tre spells the 2/3, Jop spells the 3/4 depending on matchups.

If Omax doesn’t continue to develop Jop passes him up in minutes due to his elite scoring ability- that’s one of the risks of OMax returning. If you can’t beat out Jop you can’t beat out NBA dudes tho, so come on back OMax.

Btw that first 8 above is an Elite8 at worst type squad barring a disaster.

And I haven’t even mentioned the 4th guy off the bench, Ben to spell Oso at the 5. Then there’s Zaide Lowery and Al Amadou. I’m most excited about Zaide from next years class, which might seem insane with what I said about Tre above, but it sort of reminds me of the DawsonG/JLew class where I knew that Lewis would become a Marquette favorite.
I think Zaide will have the longer, more fruitful MU career but it will take him a bit more time to transition.

I got down this far and just realized I missed Chase Ross.
Now it becomes clear to see why Shaka isn’t going nuts in the portal.
In the above scenario Ross slides in off the bench in the group with Jop, Ross, Tre, SJ22. Ross spells the 2/3 with Tre, but there aren’t a lot of minutes to be had there so now we are logjammin.

If OMax doesn’t return.
TyKo, Kam, Tre, Jop, Oso starting 5.
Stevie (spells 1-3), Chase (spells 2-4), SJ22 (spells 1/2), Ben (spells 4/5), Zaide (3/4) and Al with limited minutes.

I’m sure my Tre prediction will surprise most, but I think the hype might be real in the short term. Not sure how it ends up long term until we see him play regularly. I also think Stevie is an amazing kid, the best ball defender on the team, but destined to a super sub 6th man elite guard defender role until I see otherwise.
I think he finds a nice role in a championship caliber MU team, just like he found a nice roll in a BE championship MU team.

What stands out to me is how much “cleaner” the sans OMax prediction squad is- easier roles, easier to find guys minutes, better build up and experience for the future etc.
What also stands out is how much more elite the with OMax squad is.
That’s a championship squad, the one without him is a good squad that will need a lot to come together to become a championship squad.

When you push good players into a reserve role because upperclassmen that can’t lose their starting spot are running the show you get a lot of good results.
If Kolek stumbles a bit so what, there’s guys to step in and the team is so stacked that it’ll be ok.
Same with Omax, or Kam, but maybe still not Oso (let’s go Shaka with that portal Magic!)

If OMax leaves the margin for error becomes much smaller. The future develops quicker and that’s good, but in this day and age you don’t get runs at magic often.

Hope he comes back
Omax is gone, and I agree with your without Omax assessment. My thought is Shaka is not going to the portal. He likes his returning guys, and his freshmen class. It’s a top 3 BE team, beats Texas & ND on home court, RED in Dane and has E8 potential, maybe F4 if the matchups are favorable and with good health.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #349 on: April 22, 2023, 06:45:38 AM »
I would think it is Amadou.

He's 6'8" and can shoot.
[/quote

Correction... All is 6'9".]