[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Omax declares  (Read 86638 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Omax declares
« Reply #150 on: April 13, 2023, 07:13:42 AM »
You guys realize it doesn't change his eligibility if he hires an agent anymore right? That rule changed like 5 years ago.

#FakeNews #Lies
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #151 on: April 13, 2023, 07:35:45 AM »
#FakeNews #Lies
Polifsct says poster was Half True, just kinda fuzzy on the details.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #152 on: April 13, 2023, 08:10:20 AM »
I agree that he was always going to declare.  I don't necessarily agree that advice from those giving feedback is anywhere close to accurate. Otherwise Justin got some pretty garbage advice. Cost himself a large amount of money going undrafted.

Uhhhh what?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #153 on: April 13, 2023, 08:16:46 AM »

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #154 on: April 13, 2023, 09:09:46 AM »

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #155 on: April 13, 2023, 09:27:18 AM »

Uhhhh what?

Justin was likely told he was getting drafted or had the potential to get drafted.  That obviously didn't happen.

He's currently on a non-guaranteed contract earning almost nothing while Max Christie (a 2nd rounder drafted where Justin was projected this year) is on a 2 year guaranteed deal with the Lakers at about $2.8M
VIOLENCE!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #156 on: April 13, 2023, 09:47:41 AM »
Justin was likely told he was getting drafted or had the potential to get drafted.  That obviously didn't happen.

He's currently on a non-guaranteed contract earning almost nothing while Max Christie (a 2nd rounder drafted where Justin was projected this year) is on a 2 year guaranteed deal with the Lakers at about $2.8M

Age matters a TON in drafts.  Last year, FOUR Seniors were drafted.

Coming back another year doesn't always work well.  Justin was First Team All Big East and the Most Improved Player in the BEAST.  His stock was as high as it was going to be, and there was talk he would be drafted towards the tail end of the draft.  Instead he signed a two way the same day of the draft got injured, and then signed another.  His decision was fine, honestly.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #157 on: April 13, 2023, 09:51:33 AM »
NIL bidding to recruit a player is not permissible for anyone.

How about this Jesse Edwards kid from Cuse?

Last year, Edwards averaged 14.5 points and 10.3 rebounds per game, establishing him as one of the ACC’s best big men and one of the nation’s best rebounders and rim protectors.

He ranked first in the ACC in field goal percentage (.592), second in rebounding (10.3), first in blocked shots (2.7)…

He’s a Dutch international and his dad recently complained that Syracuse couldn’t get a good NIL package for him so he had to move on, so that’s probably not good from a Marquette perspective.
However, MU has dabbled in the international (OMax/Gold) and Northeast waters with recruiting.

Haven’t seen him play, but he’s 6’11/230 and seems to fit the Shaka mold at the 5, plus he blocks a lot of shots and rebounds.
Back up a little Brinks truck for the freaky deaky Dutchman and give him all the non-Oso minutes at the 5, maybe even play them together a bit, and allow him a chance to play for a contending team with an elite all American PG.
He got 30+ mpg last year but he can be elite/efficient with 20-24mpg, but the minutes with Oso around could be a sticking point.

Seems like a dream type of scenario if you ask me, and the type of scenario that takes Marquette from a really good team to an elite team overnight.

Sounds like the dad is looking for the best package, deal or bid.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #158 on: April 13, 2023, 09:52:40 AM »
Age matters a TON in drafts.  Last year, FOUR Seniors were drafted.

Coming back another year doesn't always work well.  Justin was First Team All Big East and the Most Improved Player in the BEAST.  His stock was as high as it was going to be, and there was talk he would be drafted towards the tail end of the draft.  Instead he signed a two way the same day of the draft got injured, and then signed another.  His decision was fine, honestly.

I think his decision was fine if he made the decision based off his own wants/needs/desires.

If he left because of the advice he got from an NBA evaluator I'd say he made the wrong choice because I disagree with the fact that he reached his peak as a draftable player.  I don't think that is remotely true at all.
VIOLENCE!

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #159 on: April 13, 2023, 09:53:41 AM »
Sounds like the dad is looking for the best package, deal or bid.

There are rumors that Nembhard is leaving Creighton because his family is unhappy with his role and not being included on any All Conference Teams or Draft Boards.

Sometimes the families make the decisions instead of the players.
VIOLENCE!

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #160 on: April 13, 2023, 09:57:57 AM »
There are rumors that Nembhard is leaving Creighton because his family is unhappy with his role and not being included on any All Conference Teams or Draft Boards.

Well if he goes to Arizona, he’ll certainly have a better chance of being All Conference in that Mickey Mouse conference.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #161 on: April 13, 2023, 10:35:32 AM »

IF those rumors are true, exactly what is it that his family thought Creighton should have done in order to get him on the all-conference teams or draft boards?
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #162 on: April 13, 2023, 10:57:44 AM »
IF those rumors are true, exactly what is it that his family thought Creighton should have done in order to get him on the all-conference teams or draft boards?

Good question.  Culture matters in college basketball.  Creighton is learning how to navigate that at the moment.  The last roster nearly took them to a Final Four.  It’s now slowly imploding.  Fine line to walk
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #163 on: April 13, 2023, 11:04:14 AM »
FinalFour
 I think Shaka will land a starter for next season if Omax is gone. There are guys out there that fit Shaka's culture and likely they want to play on team that has a chance to be really good. Picking up one guy is far different than building a team around portal guys. I think Shaka will land a guy that recruited and missed out on the first time around.

If he does not, I think he will be missing out on a very big opportunity for next season. That said, I have no idea if Shaka is as high on next year's potential as the pollsters. If he is, he needs to get a big time replacement.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #164 on: April 13, 2023, 11:05:40 AM »
Quote from: Scoop Snoop link=topic=64742.msg1545216#msg1545216 date=

I'm sure it would have something to do with Creighton featuring Nembhard more, both in terms of scoring responsibility and credit for the team's success. He didn't stand out in a roster that showed a lot of balance, with all five starters averaging between 12 and 16 ppg, and press coverage throughout the year was balanced as well, with Alexander, Kalkbrenner and Scheierman especially getting a lot of ink.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #165 on: April 13, 2023, 11:07:12 AM »
FinalFour
 I think Shaka will land a starter for next season if Omax is gone. There are guys out there that fit Shaka's culture and likely they want to play on team that has a chance to be really good. Picking up one guy is far different than building a team around portal guys. I think Shaka will land a guy that recruited and missed out on the first time around.

If he does not, I think he will be missing out on a very big opportunity for next season. That said, I have no idea if Shaka is as high on next year's potential as the pollsters. If he is, he needs to get a big time replacement.
Goose:
I am in the camp that believes when we have players going Pro early helps the recruiting cause . Shaka can now point to both Justin and Omax as guys who blossomed under his tuteledge
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #166 on: April 13, 2023, 11:10:18 AM »
Herman

I agree. I hope we have guys going early every year. It shows the talent level at MU and great for recruiting.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #167 on: April 13, 2023, 11:20:56 AM »
You guys realize it doesn't change his eligibility if he hires an agent anymore right? That rule changed like 5 years ago. Let him do his research, find out what to improve on, and return for a Final 4 run!!

If he hires an agent and DOESN'T get drafted.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #168 on: April 13, 2023, 11:27:26 AM »
Sounds like we're getting a kid who isn't even in the transfer portal?

Is this the MU version of UW's silent verbals?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #169 on: April 13, 2023, 11:28:01 AM »
Quote from: Goose link=topic=64742.msg1545224#msg1545224 date=
FinalFour

I don't see this fitting with Shaka's prior statements about the culture he's trying to develop. He said he values guys that come in maybe not as the most highly rated player, but work consistently and stick around. 

Going out and grabbing a starter off the portal -- essentially recruiting over guys like Joplin, Gold, and Amadou -- just doesn't seem like it's consistent with his prior comments. 

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #170 on: April 13, 2023, 11:45:13 AM »

I wouldn't call a $508,891 salary "almost nothing".
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #171 on: April 13, 2023, 11:54:40 AM »
FinalFour

I get what you are saying Goose, but I think it does not match up with Shaka's culture and team building philosophies. While it is not "building a team around portal guys", in your scenario Joplin and Gold are still bench players. Would one (or worse, both) of them enter the portal, resenting that they have a portal transfer taking their potential starter position?
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #172 on: April 13, 2023, 12:01:44 PM »
Snoop

They were not going to start if Omax was there. IMO, if the pollsters are right, it is too big of a gamble to not replace that important of player. Not replacing him would be an indication to me that Shaka did not believe the preseason hype. There are not many times you go into a season ranked in the top five and you need to take advantage of it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #173 on: April 13, 2023, 12:13:11 PM »

I wonder if he considered writing a letter

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #174 on: April 13, 2023, 12:14:18 PM »
I wonder if he considered writing a letter

It appears he stayed on the reservation until the end of the season.

feedback