[Today at 02:06:54 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MUbiz
[Today at 12:09:25 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cardinal Stritch Closing  (Read 4648 times)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Cardinal Stritch Closing
« on: April 10, 2023, 06:00:34 PM »
Shutting down after this semester. 
Ludum habemus.

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Cardinal Stritch Closing
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 06:24:44 PM »
Not surprising for any second-tier private university.

Unless they have some sort of special niche they serve, the days of most of them are numbered.  No one is going into six figures of debt to attend a school that no one outside their state has heard of.
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 06:27:01 PM »
BTW, where did you hear this?

It doesn't appear to show up in any of the news sources online.
Have some patience, FFS.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 06:28:58 PM »
Ludum habemus.

warriorchick

• All American
Have some patience, FFS.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2023, 07:45:42 PM »
Not surprising for any second-tier private university.

Unless they have some sort of special niche they serve, the days of most of them are numbered.  No one is going into six figures of debt to attend a school that no one outside their state has heard of.

I agree.  The switch to “university” stretched resources at Stritch.  Should have focused on cranking out education degrees. 
Ludum habemus.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 07:54:16 PM »
OUCH. 

My MU roommate's wife has been a teacher there for 10+ years.  A few years ago, she'd mentioned shutting down as a possibility, but a ~year ago, she thought the situation had stabilized.  Guess not. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2023, 08:15:16 PM »
Closures will only go up
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2023, 08:21:53 PM »
Closures will only go up

Same thing happened in the Bay Area with Holy Names University. A traditional nursing school that got out over its skis.

Property should be sufficient there to cover any remaining debt obligations. Unless Oakland intervenes.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2023, 08:25:30 PM »
Same thing happened in the Bay Area with Holy Names University. A traditional nursing school that got out over its skis.

Property should be sufficient there to cover any remaining debt obligations. Unless Oakland intervenes.

I am guessing Stritch's 40 acres in Fox Point is worth some money.  Its highest and best use may involve knocking down a lot of their buildings.
Have some patience, FFS.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2023, 09:20:59 PM »
I am guessing Stritch's 40 acres in Fox Point is worth some money.  Its highest and best use may involve knocking down a lot of their buildings.

True .. although just a half mile south, Bayshore is constructing 300 apartments, so .. that market is somewhat saturated.    I don't see it as retail either .. maybe single-family units.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2023, 12:25:17 AM »
True .. although just a half mile south, Bayshore is constructing 300 apartments, so .. that market is somewhat saturated.    I don't see it as retail either .. maybe single-family units.

Arby's Megaplex

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2023, 06:14:00 AM »
Did MU have any discussions about taking it over? Could have picked up the land by assuming the education component , broadly defined .

Thats what Iona did with Concordia New York.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2023, 10:58:56 AM »
Did MU have any discussions about taking it over? Could have picked up the land by assuming the education component , broadly defined .

Sometimes this can make sense (Loyola Chicago did this with Mundelein College in the 1990s), but only if there is a specific niche that the smaller university addressed that the parent university did not have. I don't really see that with Stritch and MU. MU already has a very vibrant and successful education program. I don't see it as a value add.

It might be too late but what would have made more sense to me is a Stritch-Alverno-Mount Mary merger. Combine the resources of the three tiny Milwaukee Catholic colleges to try to stay afloat.

It kinda blows my mind that Milwaukee still has TWO all-women colleges in 2023.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 01:05:15 PM by Coleman »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2023, 12:45:15 PM »
Heard yesterday that there’s another Wisconsin private school that doesn’t know if they are going to be able to make payroll over the summer. At this point I am less confident about more private colleges in Wisconsin surviving the next decade than I am in those who will for sure survive.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2023, 01:23:57 PM »
Heard yesterday that there’s another Wisconsin private school that doesn’t know if they are going to be able to make payroll over the summer. At this point I am less confident about more private colleges in Wisconsin surviving the next decade than I am in those who will for sure survive.

I could think of probably a dozen+ off the top of my head that wouldn't surprise me if they closed this year. I think maybe half of these schools survive the next decade:

Maranatha
Edgewood
MIAD
Northland
Marian
Alverno
Mt Mary
Viterbo
Ripon
Concordia
Lawrence
Wis Lutheran

Lakeland, Carthage, Caroll and Saint Norbert have higher enrollment than the rest so I feel a little better about those, but even those are iffy long term.

I think MSOE is safe due to the increased demand around STEM.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 01:28:30 PM by Coleman »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2023, 01:26:43 PM »
I could think of probably a dozen+ off the top of my head that wouldn't surprise me if they closed this year. I think maybe half of these schools survive the next decade:

Maranatha
Edgewood
MIAD
Northland
Marian
Alverno
Mt Mary
Viterbo
Ripon
Concordia
Lawrence
Carthage
Wis Lutheran

Lakeland, Caroll and Saint Norbert have higher enrollment than the rest so I feel a little better about those two, but even those are iffy long term.

So, every small college in Wisconsin?
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2023, 01:27:38 PM »
So, every small college in Wisconsin?

I updated it. There are a handful that I think are safer than others, but basically, yes

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2023, 01:30:11 PM »
Lawrence, St Norbert and Carroll will be fine though Lawrence will struggle to retain their national recruiting footprint. They also have an enormous endowment for their size. My guess is Concordia will be doing OK given their academic program array.

It’s also not just about enrollment but how much that enrollment pays. And that’s really the big unknown. So many schools are paying unsustainable rates for students these days so it’s hard to tell who is doing well by enrollment.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 01:31:55 PM by The Sultan of Semantics »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2023, 01:55:09 PM »
Lawrence, St Norbert and Carroll will be fine though Lawrence will struggle to retain their national recruiting footprint. They also have an enormous endowment for their size. My guess is Concordia will be doing OK given their academic program array.

LOL.  That's what she said.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2023, 12:47:19 PM »

There is a housing shortage in almost every big city.  Milwaukee is no exception.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2023, 03:50:04 PM »

Maybe Marquette can move out of the warzone it currently is in!

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2023, 03:59:46 PM »
There is a housing shortage in almost every big city.  Milwaukee is no exception.

I've certainly heard that before .. but I found this interesting:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/local/milwaukee/2023/04/07/milwaukee-county-population-fell-most-in-wisconsin-during-pandemic/70081079007/

So .. there are 21k fewer people in Milwaukee County since 2020.

I would think that would make a huge dent in housing shortages .. figure 21k / 3 people per unit = 7000 units freed up over 3 years.

(Certainly, if a builder said they were going to create 7000 units in the county, people would tout that as a huge solution to the housing crisis.)

(Or was it 21000 homeless people, leaving the county?   ;) )

I have a feeling it's not a housing crisis .. it's greedflation, where the market is very inefficient, landlords charge high rates because why wouldn't they, and renters take what they can find, rinse, repeat.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 04:04:06 PM by mu_hilltopper »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2023, 04:03:54 PM »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2023, 04:38:28 PM »
DePaul just announced a $56 million deficit for the upcoming year and is also announcing cuts

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/education/depaul-faces-566-million-deficit-plans-cuts?utm_source=afternoon-10&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20230412&utm_content=article1-headline

Thanks for nothing.  How many scoopers subscribe to Crain's Chicago Business?
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback