collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cardinal Stritch Closing  (Read 4551 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Cardinal Stritch Closing
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2023, 10:42:56 PM »
i have heard nothing but accolades for MU's PT department.  this is from one of a few-

a very good friend of mine's son suffered a brutal spinal cord injury about 2 years ago.  he is essentially a quadriplegic with some very limited movements with his arms/hands.  after using a number of PT  locations, he has settled in on MU and makes a 30 mile drive numerous times per week.  he believes MU along with the help of some docs may someday restore some of his 23 year old son's mobility.   
don't...don't don't don't don't

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2023, 04:47:06 AM »
i have heard nothing but accolades for MU's PT department.  this is from one of a few-

a very good friend of mine's son suffered a brutal spinal cord injury about 2 years ago.  he is essentially a quadriplegic with some very limited movements with his arms/hands.  after using a number of PT  locations, he has settled in on MU and makes a 30 mile drive numerous times per week.  he believes MU along with the help of some docs may someday restore some of his 23 year old son's mobility.   

They use to or still have a good Medical Technology department. I also remember fellow students majoring in speech therapy as well.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2023, 05:24:34 AM »
They use to or still have a good Medical Technology department. I also remember fellow students majoring in speech therapy as well.

given the fact that MU does have good and/or a demand for fields in the health sciences including nursing, dentistry, PT, med tech and speech tx., etc., wouldn't it behoove them to preempt that with showing support with strong departments in the health sciences.  i'm not sure about more cost efficient alternatives...

back in our good ole warrior days, i felt by beginning my studies at MU and majoring in biology, it would increase my chances and give me an advantage to getting in to MUSOD.  not to mention it was where i wanted to go anyway   UW-parkside, on the other hand also had a very good program in the sciences as well; my dental school class had 3 or 4 admits from there.  the  savings had to be notable.  my only regret was that i would have liked to have majored in a study within the biological field itself.  i understand how that can be more prohibitive and limiting at a school such as MU
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2023, 07:39:43 AM »
So MU is not a destination for a degree  (undergrad or grad) in chemistry, the life sciences, math or computer science.

Here is their page that shows their current majors.  Plenty of A&S majors there.

https://www.marquette.edu/institutional-research-analysis/interactive-reports/major-dash.php

https://www.marquette.edu/institutional-research-analysis/interactive-reports/major-dash.php

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2023, 11:10:19 AM »

Here is their page that shows their current majors.  Plenty of A&S majors there.

Are tuition costs really higher for the business majors than the Chemistry, Life Science or Biomedical majors? Why would Marquette focus recruiting on the Business, Engineering and Nursing disciplines and not the STEM majors.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2023, 11:19:51 AM »
Are tuition costs really higher for the business majors than the Chemistry, Life Science or Biomedical majors? Why would Marquette focus recruiting on the Business, Engineering and Nursing disciplines and not the STEM majors.

It's not that Marquette charges more - I don't know if they do or not. But students in those majors in general will PAY more.  (IOW, be willing to attend the school with a smaller scholarship package.)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2023, 11:26:04 AM »
So MU is not a destination for a degree  (undergrad or grad) in chemistry, the life sciences, math or computer science.

MU is a destination for Engineering, Health Sciences (nursing, PT, speech path, etc.), Dentistry, and to a lesser extent, Business and Law.

It has some respectable programs in A&S, especially at the graduate level, but I would not think of it as a destination. I say this as someone who graduated from A&S

It doesn't tell the whole story, but take a look at buildings: Weir Chemistry and Life Sciences buildings are decrepit. Business, Engineering, and Dentistry have state of the art buildings, and Nursing is getting a fully renovated Straz.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 11:33:40 AM by Coleman »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2023, 11:38:07 AM »
MU is a destination for Engineering, Health Sciences (nursing, PT, speech path, etc.), Dentistry, and to a lesser extent, Business and Law.

It has some respectable programs in A&S, especially at the graduate level, but I would not think of it as a destination. I say this as someone who graduated from A&S

It doesn't tell the whole story, but take a look at buildings: Weir Chemistry and Life Sciences buildings are decrepit. Business, Engineering, and Dentistry have state of the art buildings, and Nursing is getting a fully renovated Straz.

And Lalumier probably looks the same as when I first graced its halls 37 years ago.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2023, 11:56:59 AM »

So where are all the Biomedical science majors taking classes, since it appears to be the top major?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2023, 12:52:52 PM »

And Lalumier probably looks the same as when I first graced its halls 37 years ago.

Lalumier's ceiling was perpetually leaking when I had classes there 15 years ago. Our classroom always had a bucket with water dripping.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 01:50:56 PM by Coleman »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2023, 12:54:06 PM »
So where are all the Biomedical science majors taking classes, since it appears to be the top major?

Biomedical Sciences is in the College of Health Sciences, not A&S. Not sure where they have classes, but I assume it is in similar facilities as Speech Path, PT, etc. Back in my day most of these programs were in Schroeder Complex. That may have changed. They may have a couple prerequisite classes in one of the Wehr buildings. I have no idea. 

Biomedical Sciences is more or less MU's name for Pre-Med and Pre-Dent
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 12:58:35 PM by Coleman »

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2023, 02:02:32 PM »
Biomedical Sciences is in the College of Health Sciences, not A&S. Not sure where they have classes, but I assume it is in similar facilities as Speech Path, PT, etc. Back in my day most of these programs were in Schroeder Complex. That may have changed. They may have a couple prerequisite classes in one of the Wehr buildings. I have no idea. 

Biomedical Sciences is more or less MU's name for Pre-Med and Pre-Dent

Back in my day all the pre-meds and pre-dents took all the same classes as I did as a double major in chemistry and biology.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2023, 03:18:29 PM »

20 years ago, wehr chemistry, wehr life sciences, health sciences building, nursing building... etc.

Everyone was quite spread out

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2023, 03:19:56 PM »
Back in my day all the pre-meds and pre-dents took all the same classes as I did as a double major in chemistry and biology.

I'm sure some are the same now. I'm sure some are different. Curricula changes.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2023, 08:49:17 AM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2023, 09:12:59 AM »
Any versatile 6'9 forwards among them?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2023, 09:15:56 AM »
Marquette circling the transfers...

https://today.marquette.edu/2023/04/marquette-offers-support-to-cardinal-stritch-community/

Interesting to see if they will match financial aid. That is often the hang up with these things.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2023, 11:07:00 AM »

Coleman

• All American

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2023, 11:37:54 AM »
Interesting to see if they will match financial aid. That is often the hang up with these things.

It looks like a yes.

https://www.marquette.edu/admissions/cardinal-stritch.php

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2023, 11:45:58 AM »
It looks like a yes.

https://www.marquette.edu/admissions/cardinal-stritch.php

Excellent. Not all schools would be willing to do this.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2023, 12:47:58 PM »
Marquette circling the transfers...

https://today.marquette.edu/2023/04/marquette-offers-support-to-cardinal-stritch-community/

Great, this will probably increase our acceptance rate.

In all seriousness, this is cool of MU to do.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2023, 01:28:49 PM »
Step one pick up as many students as possible. Hopefully step two acquire the property.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2023, 01:57:53 PM »
Step one pick up as many students as possible. Hopefully step two acquire the property.

Why would Marquette have interest in the property? Most of the buildings are pretty old and have a ton of deferred maintenance needs.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2023, 02:08:28 PM »

Why would Marquette have interest in the property? Most of the buildings are pretty old and have a ton of deferred maintenance needs.

Yeah and its pretty far away from MU. I don't see the appeal of a property in Fox Point.

feedback