[Today at 09:41:55 AM]

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by cheebs09
[Today at 09:36:47 AM]

Pep Band/Cheerleaders by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:22:48 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Bob "Big Daddy" Wild
[Today at 08:40:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: We could’ve won this tournament  (Read 17225 times)

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
Re: We could’ve won this tournament
« Reply #175 on: March 25, 2023, 10:17:27 PM »
When asked how UCONN has managed to win all its NCAA games by a wide margin, Dan Hurley responded, “we play in the best conference in the country, and we lost some tough games there, then we got to the NCAA tournament and it was like our non conference.”

If a comment can make me feel simultaneously proud and frustrated, that just did it.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #176 on: March 25, 2023, 10:19:35 PM »
When asked how UCONN has managed to win all its NCAA games by a wide margin, Dan Hurley responded, “we play in the best conference in the country, and we lost some tough games there, then we got to the NCAA tournament and it was like our non conference.”

If a comment can make me feel simultaneously proud and frustrated, that just did it.
Made me like him a tad

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #177 on: March 25, 2023, 11:04:01 PM »
I mean, like MU, Gonzaga won its conference regular-season and tournament titles. Unlike MU, Gonzaga reached the Elite 8.

Split a much worse conference title. They would’ve been about the 5th best team in the Big East.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #178 on: March 26, 2023, 06:59:12 AM »
Who is "us"?

I can't speak for others, but for me it's not "oh well." It's:

Though I was really disappointed with how the season ended, I can't do a damn thing about the loss to Michigan State now. And I truly enjoyed this season, and I'm really optimistic about next season. So for me, personally, to be "haunted" by the season's end would be silly and unproductive. We Are Marquette!

What are your pronouns?

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #179 on: March 26, 2023, 09:52:58 AM »
In hindsight this has to be the most disappointing MU tourney run of my lifetime.  There are years they were more embarrassing but never so much wasted potential.   They actually could have won it all this year.  The Final Four should have been the floor.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #180 on: March 26, 2023, 09:56:30 AM »
In hindsight this has to be the most disappointing MU tourney run of my lifetime.  There are years they were more embarrassing but never so much wasted potential.   They actually could have won it all this year.  The Final Four should have been the floor.

It's a crapshoot tournament. Things happen when your 1 and done. The 4 best teams are not in the final four.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #181 on: March 26, 2023, 09:57:05 AM »
The Final Four should have been the floor.

The floor? Get serious.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #182 on: March 26, 2023, 10:01:53 AM »
It’s a single elimination tournament with a relatively young team. It’s not like we were a dominant one seed that got upset.

Everyone is pointing to all the high seeds losing. Every 1 and 2 seed is probably kicking themselves saying the same thing. It’s pretty darn hard to make a Final Four. It takes luck, no letdowns, and playing well.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #183 on: March 26, 2023, 10:03:02 AM »
It's a crapshoot tournament.
It’s not and let’s stop pushing this copium narrative

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #184 on: March 26, 2023, 10:07:51 AM »
It’s not and let’s stop pushing this copium narrative

It is and it’s not copium
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

panda

• All American
« Reply #185 on: March 26, 2023, 10:12:11 AM »
Very simple - it’s a crapshoot when you lose and the best decider of overall talent when you win.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #186 on: March 26, 2023, 10:14:12 AM »
It is and it’s not copium
It’s absolutely not. I know it feels better to tell yourself that but be serious please.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #187 on: March 26, 2023, 10:15:27 AM »
it’s a crapshoot when you lose
Only if you’re not mentally strong enough to handle the fact that you came up short

panda

• All American
« Reply #188 on: March 26, 2023, 10:17:50 AM »
Only if you’re not mentally strong enough to handle the fact that you came up short

How much mental strength does it take to understand sarcasm?

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #189 on: March 26, 2023, 10:19:19 AM »
How much mental strength does it take to understand sarcasm?
I understood your post; I was referencing others in this thread that insist it’s a crapshoot when we lose. You have made a good point.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #190 on: March 26, 2023, 10:23:39 AM »
It’s a single elimination tournament with a relatively young team. It’s not like we were a dominant one seed that got upset.

Everyone is pointing to all the high seeds losing. Every 1 and 2 seed is probably kicking themselves saying the same thing. It’s pretty darn hard to make a Final Four. It takes luck, no letdowns, and playing well.

Get out of here with your cool, calm logic!  ;D
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #191 on: March 26, 2023, 10:37:04 AM »
It’s absolutely not. I know it feels better to tell yourself that but be serious please.

It is.  Facts always make me feel better. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #192 on: March 26, 2023, 10:49:45 AM »
Get out of here with your cool, calm logic!  ;D

I’m going to look in the dictionary and see if the definition of locgic mentions excuse making for blowing a golden opportunity.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #193 on: March 26, 2023, 10:50:23 AM »

This is so dumb.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #194 on: March 26, 2023, 11:11:32 AM »
It is.  Facts always make me feel better.
The fact is that 1 seeds (teams that perform better throughout the year) go to the Final Four and win the National Championship at a much higher rate than any other seed. The same holds true for all top seeds.

83% of all Final Four participants, ever, have been a top 4 seed in their region.

62% of all Final Four participants have been a top 2 seed in their region.

90% of all National Champions have been a top 3 seed in their region.

65% of all National Champions have been a 1 seed.

Do you actually know the facts? Or are you still coping?

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #195 on: March 26, 2023, 11:14:21 AM »
This is so dumb.
Why? Tournament is a crapshoot crowd is just coping, it’s clear.

Marquette had an incredible year but played badly when it mattered. We didn’t lose because of luck or something random. We didn’t lose because the tourney is a crapshoot.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #196 on: March 26, 2023, 11:35:19 AM »
The fact is that 1 seeds (teams that perform better throughout the year) go to the Final Four and win the National Championship at a much higher rate than any other seed. The same holds true for all top seeds.

83% of all Final Four participants, ever, have been a top 4 seed in their region.

62% of all Final Four participants have been a top 2 seed in their region.

90% of all National Champions have been a top 3 seed in their region.

65% of all National Champions have been a 1 seed.

Do you actually know the facts? Or are you still coping?

Your stats show why it is indeed a crap shoot.

Yes, the top seeds have the highest probability of winning. Because they are generally speaking the best teams. Do you really think FDU is better then Purdue? Or that Purdue had a baaaaad game and FDU played their best of the year? Do you believe that in a 10 game series, FDU would come out on top? Or even come close?

This is why in a single elimination tournament it is a crapshoot. Say Marquette beats Michigan state with a 8/10 success rate. They are clearly a superior team. However Michigan state rolled that 20% chance and won the game, and now Marquette is out.

You do not genuinely believe that this final four are the best four in the country do you?

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #197 on: March 26, 2023, 11:41:07 AM »
Your stats show why it is indeed a crap shoot.

Yes, the top seeds have the highest probability of winning. Because they are generally speaking the best teams. Do you really think FDU is better then Purdue? Or that Purdue had a baaaaad game and FDU played their best of the year? Do you believe that in a 10 game series, FDU would come out on top? Or even come close?

This is why in a single elimination tournament it is a crapshoot. Say Marquette beats Michigan state with a 8/10 success rate. They are clearly a superior team. However Michigan state rolled that 20% chance and won the game, and now Marquette is out.

You do not genuinely believe that this final four are the best four in the country do you?
Are you nuts?

You’re essentially saying any tournament where the overall number 1 team doesn’t win is now a crapshoot.  :o

Is the NFL playoffs a crapshoot because Eli Manning can beat Tom Brady? Is the NBA playoffs a crapshoot because the Warriors can lose with the best record of all time? Why even watch sports if it’s all just a lucky crapshoot?

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #198 on: March 26, 2023, 11:43:28 AM »
Do you really think FDU is better then Purdue? Or that Purdue had a baaaaad game and FDU played their best of the year?
Also Purdue was a horribly flawed team from a horribly flawed conference with a horribly flawed best player and a horribly flawed head coach.

No one with half a brain was picking them to come out of that region. And there was a ton of $ on FDU ATS and to win outright (compared to other 16-1 matchups).

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #199 on: March 26, 2023, 11:44:24 AM »
I’m going to look in the dictionary and see if the definition of locgic mentions excuse making for blowing a golden opportunity.
Farley: This team sucks, they are going to fade in February, you just watch!

Also Farley: This team is so awesome, Final Four is the floor!

Trolls gonna troll I guess
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

feedback