[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: We could’ve won this tournament  (Read 17217 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: We could’ve won this tournament
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2023, 11:55:28 PM »
Tower is spot on. I don't get why you people do this to yourselves. Maybe we all need to wear black until the tourney is over.

Personally, it’s because you just can’t assume Marquette is going to be automatically better next year.

Injuries, transfers, other teams around the country improving. It was as good of an opportunity as I’ve seen in my lifetime and you have to take advantage of them.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2023, 12:15:29 AM »
Tower is spot on. I don't get why you people do this to yourselves. Maybe we all need to wear black until the tourney is over.

What do you mean “you people”???

Oh, you mean masochistic turds on Scoop. On brand.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2023, 05:33:14 AM »
Watching Houston & Bama go down has shaken me to my core. 

I was fully healed yesterday but now I’m back in the ICU and the doctors are wearing hazmats suits.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2023, 05:35:06 AM »
It was as good of an opportunity as I’ve seen in my lifetime and you have to take advantage of them.
This is what will haunt us. As good as we were this year and to play the way we played against MSU is just…something. I still can’t believe how bad we looked. That regional was as easy a path as we will ever have. I’m not advocating jumping off buildings, but the “oh well” tone on this board seem a bit odd. This is a Marquette basketball board and this team had a legit chance to win the National Championship. We have never had a better opportunity…including in 2003. This was it.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2023, 05:37:07 AM »
Like the old Pittsburgh Steelers, our motto next year should be "Win one for the thumb".
Too soon?

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2023, 06:27:32 AM »
Yes, we could have.  This should be a great motivation for the team next year.
Seeing two fellow big east teams in the elite eight.
Just goes to show, everything needs to click and a little luck to win it all.
Al had better teams than the 76-77, but everything clicked and Jerome Whitehead's tip in against Charlotte was the luck.
Can't see how people can dispare with what the team accomplished this year.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 06:59:59 AM by NCMUFan »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2023, 06:31:26 AM »
We picked a bad day to have a bad day. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2023, 07:40:58 AM »
This is what will haunt us. As good as we were this year and to play the way we played against MSU is just…something. I still can’t believe how bad we looked. That regional was as easy a path as we will ever have. I’m not advocating jumping off buildings, but the “oh well” tone on this board seem a bit odd. This is a Marquette basketball board and this team had a legit chance to win the National Championship. We have never had a better opportunity…including in 2003. This was it.

2014 Villanova says hello.  1994 UConn says hello
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2023, 08:06:58 AM »
We discussed this concept earlier in the season, the would you rather.

It’s always better to discuss these things before the actual emotion of the events happen, meaning before the titles come or the tournament exit comes.

It should have been fairly obvious that the exit would come, because the odds of a Final Four run were always going to be less than the odds of losing before it.
That will be the case nearly every season, no matter the seed.
Not saying it can’t happen, as it does, but more often than not for most teams it doesn’t.

That said, at the time I said I would take a BE Championship (Reg season) over a first round win, but a sweet 16 trip over a BE Title.
I’ve changed my mind on that. Maybe it’s because of the way things shook out, or maybe it’s because of the double title with the conference tournament, which admittedly I didn’t really consider at the time because I was just hoping for a regular season title.

I think I would take a regular season and conference tournament championship over a sweet 16 trip, but an Elite 8 appearance over the regular season and conference tournament accolades.
When you get to the Elite 8 you are one game away from the coveted Final Four appearance. You’ve spent the entire week prior in anticipation of the games ahead and you’ve won the Sweet 16 game so you feel good and now the stage is set.
Losing the sweet 16 game on Th or Fri is just kind of a bummer.

So, there’s my newly revised final answer.
Elite 8 or better >>> anything in the regular season and conference tournaments, including a combined double championship.
Otherwise, give me the 20 game gauntlet and a memorable full season over a few wins in March.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2023, 08:15:44 AM »

Screw wearing black. I buried my Marquette scarf and socks in our yard and made a nice little "RIP Marquette 2023 NCAA Tourney" marker out of wood. I feel much better now. The marker will rot and disappear quickly, as I deliberately chose cheap, porous wood so that the loss will not be a long-lasting reminder.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 08:37:33 AM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2023, 08:16:48 AM »
We discussed this concept earlier in the season, the would you rather.

It’s always better to discuss these things before the actual emotion of the events happen, meaning before the titles come or the tournament exit comes.

It should have been fairly obvious that the exit would come, because the odds of a Final Four run were always going to be less than the odds of losing before it.
That will be the case nearly every season, no matter the seed.
Not saying it can’t happen, as it does, but more often than not for most teams it doesn’t.

That said, at the time I said I would take a BE Championship (Reg season) over a first round win, but a sweet 16 trip over a BE Title.
I’ve changed my mind on that. Maybe it’s because of the way things shook out, or maybe it’s because of the double title with the conference tournament, which admittedly I didn’t really consider at the time because I was just hoping for a regular season title.

I think I would take a regular season and conference tournament championship over a sweet 16 trip, but an Elite 8 appearance over the regular season and conference tournament accolades.
When you get to the Elite 8 you are one game away from the coveted Final Four appearance. You’ve spent the entire week prior in anticipation of the games ahead and you’ve won the Sweet 16 game so you feel good and now the stage is set.
Losing the sweet 16 game on Th or Fri is just kind of a bummer.

So, there’s my newly revised final answer.
Elite 8 or better >>> anything in the regular season and conference tournaments, including a combined double championship.
Otherwise, give me the 20 game gauntlet and a memorable full season over a few wins in March.

Short version - would you rather have Marquette season this year or UConn’s if they lose today.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2023, 08:27:24 AM »
Short version - would you rather have Marquette season this year or UConn’s if they lose today.

UConn.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2023, 08:33:57 AM »
Marquette's
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2023, 08:50:15 AM »

Marquette
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2023, 08:51:19 AM »
Screw wearing black. I buried my Marquette scarf and socks in our yard and made a nice little "RIP Marquette 2023 NCAA Tourney" marker out of wood. I feel much better now. The marker will rot and disappear quickly, as I deliberately chose cheap, porous wood so that the loss will not be a long-lasting reminder.

I took down my 1977 Warriors pennant in my living room so I wasn’t reminded of this disastrous season

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2023, 08:52:42 AM »

UCONN wins: UCONN
UCONN loses: MU

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2023, 08:53:31 AM »
We made it 16.6% of the way. We had a ways to go. Hoping there will be a lot of years we will have a chance. We weren’t that close this year unfortunately.
Meanwhile, Creighton is still dancing. Some on this board cant stand McDermott as a coach and some on this board debated the wisdom of including Creighton in the newly organized Beast back in the day.
We had an excellent path to Houston this year and blew it. Tough to get over that.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2023, 08:55:18 AM »

Marquette for sure.

If UConn makes the final four, I'm undecided.

If UConn makes the national championship game, then UConn for sure.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2023, 08:57:02 AM »
Marquette for sure.

If UConn makes the final four, I'm undecided.

If UConn makes the national championship game, then UConn for sure.

UConn makes the Final Four, their season.  Winning it all?  No debate.  Anyone saying otherwise at that point is an idiot

🏀

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2023, 09:00:58 AM »
UConn makes the Final Four, their season.  Winning it all?  No debate.  Anyone saying otherwise at that point is an idiot

Final four trumps all.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2023, 09:07:19 AM »
I definitely would rather have UCONN's season whether they win or lose today.  Fair or not you are measured by tournament results.  This was an incredible opportunity that didn't go our way.  Now, I have no doubt we will be put in an excellent position to succeed in the tournament for many years to come.  That said getting a 2 seed hasn't happened very often for MU.  The path was right there  to make a deep run and it hurts.  It primarily stings because we played so poorly whether TyKo was injured or not.  I will say that we can take some solace in the likelihood that dominant NCAA teams could be rare in the immediate future.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2023, 09:09:35 AM »

So everyone is an idiot if they don't agree with you?  I see.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2023, 09:11:10 AM »
I definitely would rather have UCONN's season whether they win or lose today.  Fair or not you are measured by tournament results.  This was an incredible opportunity that didn't go our way.  Now, I have no doubt we will be put in an excellent position to succeed in the tournament for many years to come.  That said getting a 2 seed hasn't happened very often for MU.  The path was right there  to make a deep run and it hurts.  It primarily stings because we played so poorly whether TyKo was injured or not.  I will say that we can take some solace in the likelihood that dominant NCAA teams could be rare in the immediate future.

Maybe.  I think it’s hard to know at the moment.  Between covid and the transfer rule change, there’s probably an adjustment period.  Once things return to the new normal and the covid players are gone, I bet we see dominant teams again

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2023, 09:11:56 AM »
So everyone is an idiot if they don't agree with you?  I see.

If you say Marquette had a better season if UConn wins a natty?  Hell yeah.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2023, 09:12:43 AM »
In 2003 did Kentucky have a better season than Marquette?

feedback