[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MSU looks at MU  (Read 17270 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: MSU looks at MU
« Reply #175 on: March 18, 2023, 06:29:50 PM »
Agreed.    I posted earlier that there are a few hundred MU fans who still give a crap.    The basketball world at large?    Meh.  A story at tourney time.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #176 on: March 18, 2023, 06:32:03 PM »
Agreed.    I posted earlier that there are a few hundred MU fans who still give a crap.    The basketball world at large?    Meh.  A story at tourney time.

I was at a March Madness party yesterday with some MU grads and I asked them about it and got shoulder shrugs.  I think the Marquette fans still yammering about this are largely on scoop.  You don’t even see it from Marquette fans on social media
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #177 on: March 18, 2023, 06:49:55 PM »
To be fair, he’s not wrong. It’s a different team completely.

I'm sure he still has some motivation for revenge even though he wont say it. Had he stayed at MU he wouldn't even be on this team

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #178 on: March 18, 2023, 07:44:53 PM »
I'm sure he still has some motivation for revenge even though he wont say it. Had he stayed at MU he wouldn't even be on this team
Let's hope he and the rest of MSU are looking for motivation beyond getting to the S16. I think Shaka and the players have all the motivation they ever need and Joey ain't one of them.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #179 on: March 19, 2023, 07:58:56 AM »
Listened to an MSU podcast today. Tons of takeaways:

• They think we have a gimmicky defense and that pressure and deflections lead to wide open looks if you get past half court.
  • They don't think Oso presents any real threat because he isn't big enough.
  • They think their best is as good or better than our best.
  • They seem to think Shaka's success is largely based on his cool and alliterative name. (Seriously)
  • They seem to think we're a less disciplined version of Northwestern.
  • They didn't make predictions, but strongly favored Izzo and seem to think we're likely to lose because we have a long winning streak.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #180 on: March 19, 2023, 08:06:58 AM »

• They think we have a gimmicky defense and that pressure and deflections lead to wide open looks if you get past half court.
  • They seem to think Shaka's success is largely based on his cool and alliterative name. (Seriously)
  • They didn't make predictions, but strongly favored Izzo and seem to think we're likely to lose because we have a long winning streak.

Really astute analysis.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #181 on: March 19, 2023, 08:14:11 AM »

Did you get a count of the number of times they said “dude” and “like”?

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #182 on: March 19, 2023, 08:20:42 AM »
Really astute analysis.

And how is that analysis any different from a Cracked Sidewalks podcast? 

MSU should be confident.  They have good talent and a HOF coach.  Should be a very close game.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #183 on: March 19, 2023, 08:22:29 AM »
And how is that analysis any different from a Cracked Sidewalks podcast? 

MSU should be confident.  They have good talent and a HOF coach.  Should be a very close game.

You serious, Clark?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #184 on: March 19, 2023, 08:27:06 AM »

F#@k Em
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #185 on: March 19, 2023, 08:29:55 AM »
I don't think our defense is gimmicky, but it's certainly true about getting good looks if you beat the double teams/traps when MU uses them.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #186 on: March 19, 2023, 08:41:39 AM »
I don't think our defense is gimmicky, but it's certainly true about getting good looks if you beat the double teams/traps when MU uses them.

I think people who are used to a traditional, Big Ten type defense like Izzo's can look at Marquette's and label it gimmicky. Izzo guards from inside out and wants to limit penetration and good looks. Marquette's defense is about creating deflections, pace and wearing a team down over time.  Yes it is going to give up good looks at times - especially early. But that's not a "gimmick."  It's just a different way to think about defense.

Vermont was getting good shots - until they weren't.  Shaka believes that teams aren't going to be able to keep up for 40 minutes. And so far he's largely been right.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #187 on: March 19, 2023, 08:44:56 AM »
Sultan

I agree on giving up open looks, especially early in the game. It seems that Shaka has made the right adjustments during the game and I expect the same.

I am very happy that our defense looks gimmicky compared to the Big Ten. Obviously another example of doing things the right way.

Feel good about the game?

• All American
« Reply #188 on: March 19, 2023, 08:49:57 AM »
Yes. We are the better team. The only reason I'm concerned is because Izzo is a really good coach. Last year they were also a 7 seed, and gave Duke a good game in the second round. Eventually the better team won, and I am expecting the same today.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
« Reply #189 on: March 19, 2023, 09:02:11 AM »
This is the arrogance of the PigPen media talking. I'm sure the Michigan State fan base and basketball team also feel the same.

Anyone associated with the PigPen (teams, media, fans) is going to stick their noses up at teams/fans affiliated with any other conference. They are arrogant bullies.

As a team you have to mentally and physically stand up to all of this arrogance associated with these programs and figuratively punch them in the mouth early in the game. But the key is making sure you are still playing "your own game".

Marquette simply needs to let Sparty know its our time, not theirs. Then, if Marquette stays loose and plays its game it will be fine.
DavidBoone2InchesTaller was a Senior Message Board Poster at MarquetteHoops.com for 17 yrs.. He made over 10,000 posts with an accuracy rate of 99.9%. Incredibly this means since 2006 he made less than 3 inaccurate statements, earning him the nickname "Top Gun Poster" among his peers.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #190 on: March 19, 2023, 09:08:24 AM »
Yes. We are the better team. The only reason I'm concerned is because Izzo is a really good coach. Last year they were also a 7 seed, and gave Duke a good game in the second round. Eventually the better team won, and I am expecting the same today.

MU is better in 4 out of five games with how each team has been playing at the end of the season. But, if there is a handful of coaches who can muck that up it’s Izzo. Expect a MSU friendly whistle, bully ball and the crowd working against MU. That said, that hubris can work against a team with MU’s fight and grit. Tyler will be keyed on so let’s hope the thumb is recovered and that Tyler won’t again play frustrated as he will be targeted. 

• All American
« Reply #191 on: March 19, 2023, 09:11:50 AM »
I'm not worried about the crowd one bit. I think if there is one narrative about this game that is completely overstated, this is it.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #192 on: March 19, 2023, 09:12:20 AM »
MU is better in 4 out of five games with how each team has been playing at the end of the season. But, if there is a handful of coaches who can muck that up it’s Izzo. Expect a MSU friendly whistle, bully ball and the crowd working against MU. That said, that hubris can work against a team with MU’s fight and grit. Tyler will be keyed on so let’s hope the thumb is recovered and that Tyler won’t again play frustrated as he will be targeted.

Michigan State plays a lot of dumb basketball
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #193 on: March 19, 2023, 09:35:11 AM »
I'm not worried about the crowd one bit. I think if there is one narrative about this game that is completely overstated, this is it.

Totally agree. Regardless of what some are saying, this will not be a home game for Michigan State. The BET game against UConn was far closer to a home game for UConn ... but even that wasn't a "road" game for us, and our guys overcame what little advantage there was for UConn by simply playing better.

Michigan State plays a lot of dumb basketball

Yep. I saw a few of their losses and they just did idiotic things on the court, and their guards tend to get real 1-on-1-ish when things get tight. Won't be surprised if our guys force them into that today.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #194 on: March 19, 2023, 09:37:12 AM »
I agree with this assessment.  If bad Sparty shows up, MU by double digits.   If Izzo March magic shows up, coin flip.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #195 on: March 19, 2023, 09:44:49 AM »
Marquette is ranked 3rd nationally in turnover margin (+5.3).

Sparty is ranked 260th (-1.0).

Our guys will do what Marquette does ... and have a helping hand in getting Sparty to do what Sparty does.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #196 on: March 19, 2023, 09:48:01 AM »
Totally agree. Regardless of what some are saying, this will not be a home game for Michigan State. The BET game against UConn was far closer to a home game for UConn ... but even that wasn't a "road" game for us, and our guys overcame what little advantage there was for UConn by simply playing better.

I don’t know the basis of this assessment but I can say with certainty that 80% of the sell out versus USC was cheering for Sparty. Maybe some of that was B1G brethren Purdue and tOSU fans but the NCAA only gave MU 450 tickets for staff, families and the Top 50 STH. Now, MU fans are here in numbers and I noticed a significant uptick in Warriors arriving yesterday, but this will be a road game by any definition. Lansing is a 3.5 hour drive and Detroit is a tad more than 3. 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #197 on: March 19, 2023, 09:51:15 AM »
I like that MSU only had a day to prep for us.  Not nearly enough time for them to face Shaka-style.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #198 on: March 19, 2023, 09:53:46 AM »
I don’t know the basis of this assessment but I can say with certainty that 80% of the sell out versus USC was cheering for Sparty. Maybe some of that was B1G brethren Purdue and tOSU fans but the NCAA only gave MU 450 tickets for staff, families and the Top 50 STH. Now, MU fans are here in numbers and I noticed a significant uptick in Warriors arriving yesterday, but this will be a road game by any definition. Lansing is a 3.5 hour drive and Detroit is a tad more than 3.

I've been to the Breslin Center for MSU basketball games; it's not Phog or Cameron level wild, but it's not far behind. I seriously doubt today's atmosphere in Nationwide Arena will approach the rabid, pro-Sparty atmosphere at the Breslin Center. Those who will be there can correct me if I turn out to have been wrong about that.

Either way, that's not what will beat Marquette, just as a decidedly pro-UConn crowd didn't beat Marquette last week at MSG.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #199 on: March 19, 2023, 10:06:40 AM »
I've been to the Breslin Center for MSU basketball games; it's not Phog or Cameron level wild, but it's not far behind. I seriously doubt today's atmosphere in Nationwide Arena will approach the rabid, pro-Sparty atmosphere at the Breslin Center. Those who will be there can correct me if I turn out to have been wrong about that.

Either way, that's not what will beat Marquette, just as a decidedly pro-UConn crowd didn't beat Marquette last week at MSG.

Breslin sure has the students and I think they ring the court there, but the MSU Chevy Cavalier alumni are here in big numbers.