[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: MSU looks at MU  (Read 16704 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: MSU looks at MU
« Reply #150 on: March 18, 2023, 12:08:00 PM »
21Jump

I agree that Tyler was not his usual rock self yesterday and not sure what caused it. But, I like I mentioned earlier in the season that Joplin is our biggest gripe, all is good with MU basketball.

I will double down on that, if Kolek’s attitude or body language was of note yesterday, then everything is really, really good with MU basketball.

I have no idea what triggered Kolek yesterday, but feel extremely confident he was built for games in March. Would be very surprised if we did not see a great performance tomorrow from him.

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
« Reply #151 on: March 18, 2023, 12:29:52 PM »
This MU team is in one of those grooves that you see from teams making deep runs in the NCAA Tournament.

A team in a groove like this 'Quette team will typically only hit a road block against a team with one of these four qualities: overwhelming height, overwhelming length and athleticism on the wing, an incredible shooting team, or an incredible difference in terms of the quality of coaches.

This MSU team is none of these. It does not have height and it does not have the long athletic wings it's had in the past. Yes, it shoots the 3ball well, but it does not take a lot of three point shots and overall it shots the ball below average.

It terms of coaching, Coach Izzo has experience and a National Title, but I don't see a big difference between him and Smart Coach.

Not only is the 'Quette in a groove, but I believe they are bigger and more athletic than MSU.

Anything can happen but simple logic tells me that if the 'Quette continues to play "its game" and plays solid perimeter team defense in this game tomorrow, I see them advancing to the Sweet Sixteen and for MSU I see it being curtains!

« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 12:43:22 PM by DavidBoone2inchesTaller »
DavidBoone2InchesTaller was a Senior Message Board Poster at MarquetteHoops.com for 17 yrs.. He made over 10,000 posts with an accuracy rate of 99.9%. Incredibly this means since 2006 he made less than 3 inaccurate statements, earning him the nickname "Top Gun Poster" among his peers.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #152 on: March 18, 2023, 12:36:14 PM »
Completely agree. I was shocked by his mentality and body language. I’m sure it was not getting any love from the refs on his drives and the knock to the thumb. He is a stone cold gamer, but he showed some vulnerability yesterday. However, we have seen this before, and it brings great teams together.

Edit: We were sitting about ten rows up from the bench, so I was watching him on the bench, too. Uncharacteristic Kolek, but he will get back on track.

I also agree. My hope is that he was distracted because he was scared that the injury was serious and that he has since found out that it is not as serious as he feared. I also think he was trying too hard to put the team on his back and carry them. Assuming the injury isn't too serious, I think TyKo is going to have an outstanding game tomorrow.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #153 on: March 18, 2023, 12:43:54 PM »
Of course, I said as much. Thats not the point. The point is how you can look at both of these teams, before the game, not in hindsight, and say it will take an "unreal" effort for MU to win. Come on.

Man, you're fixated on this.

Beating good teams on the road is really hard. And that's what MU is gonna have to do tomorrow. It's gonna take close to their best effort to get it done, especially with TK likely limited to some degree.

I still think they'll win, but it won't be a stroll.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #154 on: March 18, 2023, 12:44:22 PM »
I'm glad a few others noticed that Kolek wasn't his usual self.

He got hurt, had to leave the game for a bit, came back, immediately hit a 3 and a driving layup. But after that, he missed several drives that he has been making, and he got bodied on at least a couple of them. I don't know if he was frustrated about the no-calls, frustrated about the misses or feeling a little pain, but he got the kind of frustration foul that he's too good to get. It was his second and he then had to go to the bench for an extended period. And he picked up his third foul early in the second half, went to the bench, and wasn't really "in" the game. When Kam was scoring as if it were a video game, the TV cameras would show our bench and the guys were going crazy ... except Tyler.

Anyway, I'm going with it being a one-off. He's gonna be great tomorrow.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #155 on: March 18, 2023, 01:24:40 PM »
Man, you're fixated on this.

Beating good teams on the road is really hard. And that's what MU is gonna have to do tomorrow. It's gonna take close to their best effort to get it done, especially with TK likely limited to some degree.

I still think they'll win, but it won't be a stroll.

Lol what ever u say boss. Not a home game for msu btw

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #156 on: March 18, 2023, 02:01:22 PM »
MSU plus 10 would be the largest wager in Vegas Sunday. Just saying.
Wonder if Goose will pull the trigger….alot of $ to be made on that statement.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #157 on: March 18, 2023, 02:03:17 PM »
Lol what ever u say boss. Not a home game for msu btw

Yeah it’s a neutral site that will likely have a larger MSU crowd. That’s hardly a “road game.”
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #158 on: March 18, 2023, 02:05:33 PM »
I’m expecting a really good game from Tyler on Sunday.

100%

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #159 on: March 18, 2023, 02:08:33 PM »
21Jump

I agree that Tyler was not his usual rock self yesterday and not sure what caused it. But, I like I mentioned earlier in the season that Joplin is our biggest gripe, all is good with MU basketball.

I will double down on that, if Kolek’s attitude or body language was of note yesterday, then everything is really, really good with MU basketball.

I have no idea what triggered Kolek yesterday, but feel extremely confident he was built for games in March. Would be very surprised if we did not see a great performance tomorrow from him.

Completely agree, Goose. It was noticeable with Tyler, because it is rare. It was also noticeable because our guys picking each other up and putting in selfless, violent, intentional effort has become the way. I love this team.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #160 on: March 18, 2023, 02:15:26 PM »
21Jump

Tyler had some fear in his eyes and not the fire. My wife and I discussed how he seemed ot be out of sorts. Hoping it was just the fear of hand issue and that those fears are put to rest now.

A little surprised he was out there much with a 20 pt lead--but I guess that also says the team wasn't too concerned about the thumb.

I expect a fired up team tomorrow. We match better with MSU than we did UConn from my eye test, but I am also not fully sure what to make of this MSU roster. If you can stop Hoggard and Joey with Stevie and O-Max, I think good things will happen. Ideally we're able to punch first like the X game and then can smother on defense when they have to chuck to get back into it.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Goatherder

• Starter
« Reply #161 on: March 18, 2023, 02:38:07 PM »
Yeah it’s a neutral site that will likely have a larger MSU crowd. That’s hardly a “road game.”

No, it is a neutral site game.  No telling who the the FAU/FDU fans will be cheering for, though there probably will not be that many.  But you can also figure that some Marquette fans will make the trip.  Every neutral site game has more fans for one side than another.  Could be that the locals will be cheering against MSU.  But they are not playing at home on their home court staying in their own rooms and the like.  They are on the road as well.  And we have done pretty well on the road of late.  I doubt it will make much of a difference. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #162 on: March 18, 2023, 02:41:45 PM »
I didn’t say any of that, I just joined the conversation on this subject.  Looks like you’re confusing me with Hairy Worthen.

My bad, clicked on the the wrong quote.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #163 on: March 18, 2023, 02:45:38 PM »
No way they overcome the leadership of Joey Hauser

Did Joey write another letter?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #164 on: March 18, 2023, 03:18:07 PM »
Tyler had some fear in his eyes and not the fire. My wife and I discussed how he seemed ot be out of sorts. Hoping it was just the fear of hand issue and that those fears are put to rest now.

A little surprised he was out there much with a 20 pt lead--but I guess that also says the team wasn't too concerned about the thumb.

I expect a fired up team tomorrow. We match better with MSU than we did UConn from my eye test, but I am also not fully sure what to make of this MSU roster. If you can stop Hoggard and Joey with Stevie and O-Max, I think good things will happen. Ideally we're able to punch first like the X game and then can smother on defense when they have to chuck to get back into it.

At first I also wondered why Shaka had Kolek out there once the game was essentially won. But I think maybe it was to help reinforce in Tyler's mind: "See, you're OK. The thumb's not gonna keep you from having your usual terrific game against Michigan State."

And I really like your last paragraph about how we're gonna deal with Sparty.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #165 on: March 18, 2023, 03:40:57 PM »
https://twitter.com/John_Fanta/status/1637180722049085440?s=20

Fanta talks to Izzo.   Not a ton of insight into his thoughts on MU.    Some talk about his team, more macro discussion about the the tourney and the state of college basketball.   
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 03:49:35 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #166 on: March 18, 2023, 05:15:26 PM »
hairy

Winning changes everything and it provides a confidence not only to the team, but the fans as well. As you remember, during the Al era MU fans were arrogant and confident. Not just because Al was that way, but because they won.

I was thinking about individual achievements vs. team achievements and team trumps everything. Individual greatness is acknowledged by sitting courtside and being introduced during a timeout. Winning teams are honored in a ceremony because they achieved the ultimate achievement, being a winning team.

I also was thinking about the Al era and what would that era be remembered for if they did not win the NC. IMO, the NC validated an era, but without it there would have been a big hole. The great players would have been remembered, but many old fans it would felt somewhat empty. The NC was not one team, but 13 years of players that made it happen.

Basically, I am saying that winning is a mindset and contiguous. Great programs have swag about them, and I think MU is starting to bring the swag. If this team wins the NC, last year's team was part of why it happened. I think it is time for MU fans to start having swag and arrogance because the MU program is back. For the record, I admit I might have too much swag at the moment.

I would agree with you Goose. Winning changes everyones perspective.

Imo, Sunday is a huge game for that mindset. While it was great to finally get a tournament W, nobody thought MU was not going to win against Vermont. Now we are on the big stage Sunday on CBS against a historically well regarded program and HOF coach. Win Sunday and the doubters will begin to wake up. I cannot tell you how many of my friends have picked MSU to win, because they are MSU. They are not believers that MU can win against big time opponents in the NCAA. Time to remove that monkey off our back.

Here's to hoping Shaka has the boys ready and we move back into Dan Hurley's house next weekend!!!

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
« Reply #167 on: March 18, 2023, 05:27:59 PM »
I would agree with you Goose. Winning changes everyones perspective.

Imo, Sunday is a huge game for that mindset. While it was great to finally get a tournament W, nobody thought MU was not going to win against Vermont. Now we are on the big stage Sunday on CBS against a historically well regarded program and HOF coach. Win Sunday and the doubters will begin to wake up. I cannot tell you how many of my friends have picked MSU to win, because they are MSU. They are not believers that MU can win against big time opponents in the NCAA. Time to remove that monkey off our back.

Here's to hoping Shaka has the boys ready and we move back into Dan Hurley's house next weekend!!!

Is that Goose Gansler? I would wholeheartedly agree with what he's sayin'.

What's the deal with the "hairy Worthen" name? Is there something I'm missing with the meaning? I loved watching Sam play.. BTW - I think "hairy reason" would be an incredible screan name?

Back to the topic...

MU is bigger, more athletic, and has great coaching like MSU. The only possible weakness I see is MU's perimeter defense against MSU. If MSU shoots the three ball a lot and well, MU will be in a white knuckler. Otherwise, if MU plays good perimeter defense I see them winning solid and advancing.

DavidBoone2InchesTaller was a Senior Message Board Poster at MarquetteHoops.com for 17 yrs.. He made over 10,000 posts with an accuracy rate of 99.9%. Incredibly this means since 2006 he made less than 3 inaccurate statements, earning him the nickname "Top Gun Poster" among his peers.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #168 on: March 18, 2023, 06:23:32 PM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #169 on: March 18, 2023, 06:25:32 PM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #170 on: March 18, 2023, 06:26:21 PM »
Well, yeah.   It was impossible for those questions to not be asked.   

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #171 on: March 18, 2023, 06:26:45 PM »
To be fair, he’s not wrong. It’s a different team completely.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #173 on: March 18, 2023, 06:28:08 PM »
Is that Goose Gansler? I would wholeheartedly agree with what he's sayin'.

What's the deal with the "hairy Worthen" name? Is there something I'm missing with the meaning? I loved watching Sam play.. BTW - I think "hairy reason" would be an incredible screan name?

Back to the topic...

MU is bigger, more athletic, and has great coaching like MSU. The only possible weakness I see is MU's perimeter defense against MSU. If MSU shoots the three ball a lot and well, MU will be in a white knuckler. Otherwise, if MU plays good perimeter defense I see them winning solid and advancing.
Hmmm hairy reason. That's even better, well done. Worthen one of my favs and I have more hair than he had at MU sooo.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #174 on: March 18, 2023, 06:28:23 PM »
Well, yeah.   It was impossible for those questions to not be asked.   

Fans make a bigger deal out of this than the player/s do.  I truly believe he rarely thinks about Marquette at all
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

feedback