[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Profile of the 2013 Simeon (IL) team - greatest IL team ever (incl Ed Morrow)  (Read 1624 times)

withoutbias

• All American
SPASH 2015-2016.  Played the game the right way.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Best HS team I ever saw was Thornridge, Il. in 1972. Led by Quinn Buckner, they were undefeated state champs. Their closest game was a 14 point win. They also won state the year before but had one loss.

Back when the state tournament was on WGN. Buckner was basically the same already as when he was in the NBA.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Jake Thomas v Syracuse.

JWags85

• All American
Back when the state tournament was on WGN. Buckner was basically the same already as when he was in the NBA.

POY in both basketball and football in HS.  He was a certified athletic freak.

lawdog77

• All American
There were some dominant Simeon teams in the 80's as well.  The Ben Wilson death probably cost them two undefeated seasons.  I think he and Nick Anderson would have played together for at least a year.  My guess is if Al didn't leave we would have had a Simeon pipeline.  I've also heard from a few people that Thomas, Aguirre and then Cummings all wanted to go to MU but this could be folklore.  Regardless, I believe McGuire would have had another decade+ of top 10 teams.
Surprised you haven't mentioned the Baltimore Dunbar team of the early 80's.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
I’ll stick with Tatum’s Mount Vernon HS team.

Earl Tatum
Gus Williams
Ray Williams
Rudy Hackett
Lowes Moore

All 5 made it to the NBA. I believe that all but Moore (who scored 40 against ND), got AA mentions in college.

If Scooter and Rodney McRay were just a couple years older, it would would be the consensus all-timer.

MuggsyB

• All American
Surprised you haven't mentioned the Baltimore Dunbar team of the early 80's.

Bob Wade stated numerous times that Muggs was the engine and MVP of that team.  Of course his alley oop pass to Reggie Williams, after he did a 360 in the air, is historically legendary.  The game was stopped for about 8-10 mins.  :)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Some the old 80s King teams (Chi not MKE) might still be considered better.
Saw the early 90's King with R Griffin(UW) in person. They looked like an NBA team,........... played like playground pickup team.  Landon "Sonny" Cox was not a good coach, but he could recruit and monetize his players.

feedback