collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Profile of the 2013 Simeon (IL) team - greatest IL team ever (incl Ed Morrow)  (Read 1614 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Bound by basketball, friendship and grief: Simeon’s terrific 2013 state championship team, a decade later
A decade after Simeon Career Academy won its fourth consecutive state title, the death of a teammate binds arguably the greatest basketball team in Illinois high school history.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/high-school/ct-chicago-simeon-basketball-championship-20230305-q7cvcm5o4zcyzc5v6d2lcumq6q-htmlstory.html

Jabari Parker (Duke)
Kendrick Nunn (Illinois, Oakland)
Jaylon Tate (Illinois)
Kendall Pollard (Dayton)
Russell Woods (Missouri)
Ed Morrow (Nebraska, Marquette)
D.J. Williams (Illinois, George Washington, DePaul)
Donte Ingram (Loyola)
Rickey Norris
Quron Davis
Saieed Ivey
Bobby Harris
Zach Norvell
Ben Coupet.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

WhiteTrash

• All American
That's a better team than 2013 DePaul.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
I think I’d take Earl Tatum’s HS team.

dgies9156

• All American
I’d take Quincy High or East St.Louis from the early 1980s.

Jockey

• All American
Was that the Laphonso Ellis era?

WhiteTrash

• All American
All better than DePaul  :D

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MU82

• All American
From now until the day I'm dead and gone, every time I hear "Ed Morrow," I'll think of that block near the end of regulation and his great work in OT against Madison in 2018. He might not have been a major part of Marquette history, but that'll always be a fond memory for this Warrior.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 10:46:00 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
There were some dominant Simeon teams in the 80's as well.  The Ben Wilson death probably cost them two undefeated seasons.  I think he and Nick Anderson would have played together for at least a year.  My guess is if Al didn't leave we would have had a Simeon pipeline.  I've also heard from a few people that Thomas, Aguirre and then Cummings all wanted to go to MU but this could be folklore.  Regardless, I believe McGuire would have had another decade+ of top 10 teams. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Man I had almost forgotten about Jabari Parker. What's that dude up to now? I don't think it's often that you see former 2nd overall picks disappearing from the NBA by age 27
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JWags85

• All American
Man I had almost forgotten about Jabari Parker. What's that dude up to now? I don't think it's often that you see former 2nd overall picks disappearing from the NBA by age 27

He couldn't stay healthy.  I believe he played 70+ games only once in his career.

Add to that the fact that he never developed a reliable outside shot and there were rumblings of locker room issues after he got the big second chance in Chicago, and there ya go.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Some the old 80s King teams (Chi not MKE) might still be considered better.
Maigh Eo for Sam

cheebs09

• All American
He couldn't stay healthy.  I believe he played 70+ games only once in his career.

Add to that the fact that he never developed a reliable outside shot and there were rumblings of locker room issues after he got the big second chance in Chicago, and there ya go.

I think there were locker room issues with the Bucks too. I remember him doing a Players Tribune article during the playoffs. I also remember him saying he wasn’t paid to play defense.

Coleman

• All American
From now until the day I'm dead and gone, every time I hear "Ed Morrow," I'll think of that block near the end of regulation and his great work in OT against Madison in 2019. He might not have been a major part of Marquette history, but that'll always be a fond memory for this Warrior.

That would be a fun thread. Relatively obscure MU players who had one great performance that really mattered.

Mine would be Ryan Amoroso's performance in the Championship of the 2005 Great Alaska Shootout

https://gomarquette.com/news/2006/2/13/Marquette_wins_Great_Alaska_Shootout

tower912

• All American
Mike Kinsella, Pitt.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
That would be a fun thread. Relatively obscure MU players who had one great performance that really mattered.

Mine would be Ryan Amoroso's performance in the Championship of the 2005 Great Alaska Shootout

https://gomarquette.com/news/2006/2/13/Marquette_wins_Great_Alaska_Shootout

David Cubillion, can't remember who it was against but he was 6-6 from 3
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Mike Kinsella, Pitt.

Mike topped that performance last Saturday vs. SJU.

wadesworld

• All American
Matt Heldt's 15/10 on 6/6 shooting against St. John's his sophomore year was cool.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
Didn’t Froling make a few big shots in his one good game for us? Very fuzzy memory of that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Niv Berkowicz's behind the back passes.

Coleman

• All American
Niv Berkowicz's behind the back passes.

Forgot about that guy. From Israel right? 2004 ish?

Silent Verbal

• All American
David Diggs also had a really good game in the Great Alaska Shootout in 2001, I think.  Made like five 3-pointers.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Forgot about that guy. From Israel right? 2004 ish?

Came in mid-season. Played 7 games.  Went pro, and is still playing in Israel at age 36.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niv_Berkowitz?wprov=sfla1

We hardly knew ye.

tower912

• All American
Why do I have the germ of a memory that one of the reasons he left is that he was not being used the way he thought he should.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
There were some dominant Simeon teams in the 80's as well.  The Ben Wilson death probably cost them two undefeated seasons.  I think he and Nick Anderson would have played together for at least a year.  My guess is if Al didn't leave we would have had a Simeon pipeline.  I've also heard from a few people that Thomas, Aguirre and then Cummings all wanted to go to MU but this could be folklore.  Regardless, I believe McGuire would have had another decade+ of top 10 teams.

Best HS team I ever saw was Thornridge, Il. in 1972. Led by Quinn Buckner, they were undefeated state champs. Their closest game was a 14 point win. They also won state the year before but had one loss.

withoutbias

• All American
SPASH 2015-2016.  Played the game the right way.

Jockey

• All American
Best HS team I ever saw was Thornridge, Il. in 1972. Led by Quinn Buckner, they were undefeated state champs. Their closest game was a 14 point win. They also won state the year before but had one loss.

Back when the state tournament was on WGN. Buckner was basically the same already as when he was in the NBA.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Jake Thomas v Syracuse.

JWags85

• All American
Back when the state tournament was on WGN. Buckner was basically the same already as when he was in the NBA.

POY in both basketball and football in HS.  He was a certified athletic freak.

lawdog77

• All American
Surprised you haven't mentioned the Baltimore Dunbar team of the early 80's.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American

Jockey

• All American
I’ll stick with Tatum’s Mount Vernon HS team.

Earl Tatum
Gus Williams
Ray Williams
Rudy Hackett
Lowes Moore

All 5 made it to the NBA. I believe that all but Moore (who scored 40 against ND), got AA mentions in college.

If Scooter and Rodney McRay were just a couple years older, it would would be the consensus all-timer.

MuggsyB

• All American
Surprised you haven't mentioned the Baltimore Dunbar team of the early 80's.

Bob Wade stated numerous times that Muggs was the engine and MVP of that team.  Of course his alley oop pass to Reggie Williams, after he did a 360 in the air, is historically legendary.  The game was stopped for about 8-10 mins.  :)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Some the old 80s King teams (Chi not MKE) might still be considered better.
Saw the early 90's King with R Griffin(UW) in person. They looked like an NBA team,........... played like playground pickup team.  Landon "Sonny" Cox was not a good coach, but he could recruit and monetize his players.

feedback