[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Mac McClung  (Read 1809 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Mac McClung
« on: February 18, 2023, 10:06:49 PM »
Wow, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
Re: Mac McClung
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2023, 06:42:42 AM »
Doc

Saw the highlights and quite impressive. Actually wish I had watched live after seeing the highlights.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 06:48:47 AM »
Honky's got some hops, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2023, 07:42:01 AM »
Big time hops!!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2023, 09:47:13 AM »
All Star games/weekends are boring. McClung was a pleasant exception. Truly amazing.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2023, 12:18:28 PM »

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2023, 02:16:17 PM »
The one dunk his head may have brushed the rim.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2023, 02:41:10 PM »
Pretty fly for a white guy.

You can tell that the announcers don't watch much freestyle skiing or snowboarding.  They didn't know how many degrees one and a half circles is.

Dumb question, but I was wondering - in a real game, would that first dunk have counted? Or would the fact that he touched the backboard on with the ball and then dunked it be goaltending?
Have some patience, FFS.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2023, 04:09:47 PM »

You can tell that the announcers don't watch much freestyle skiing or snowboarding.  They didn't know how many degrees one and a half circles is.

Dumb question, but I was wondering - in a real game, would that first dunk have counted? Or would the fact that he touched the backboard on with the ball and then dunked it be goaltending?

It never left his possession. I can think of other layups or made baskets where someone is going up strong and gets hit or blocked and contacts the backboard with the ball still in his hand before releasing

panda

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2023, 04:14:56 PM »

It’s illegal to sit on another players shoulders in open play

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2023, 07:25:53 AM »
I can't help but wonder how much money McClung made for himself on Saturday night. Strike while the iron is hot, Mac.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2023, 07:27:24 AM »
I can't help but wonder how much money McClung made for himself on Saturday night. Strike while the iron is hot, Mac.

I'm guessing not a lot.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2023, 07:33:36 AM »
I'm guessing not a lot.

I suppose that depends on how you define "a lot," but he'll be fielding some offers. Compared to all those guys standing around watching him...yeah, not a lot. Compared to G-League guys who are going to get a couple weeks in the NBA I'd think a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if he turned that into low seven figures in endorsement money.

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2023, 07:42:28 AM »
I suppose that depends on how you define "a lot," but he'll be fielding some offers. Compared to all those guys standing around watching him...yeah, not a lot. Compared to G-League guys who are going to get a couple weeks in the NBA I'd think a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if he turned that into low seven figures in endorsement money.

I think that is doubtful unless he becomes more regular on an NBA team. Winning a slam dunk contest will be old news by Friday.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2023, 08:47:12 AM »

I think that is doubtful unless he becomes more regular on an NBA team. Winning a slam dunk contest will be old news by Friday.

Yea, I’m not sure I can remember who won the last 3.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2023, 08:53:58 AM »
It’s illegal to sit on another players shoulders in open play

Thank you, Grand Pooba.  :)

I am a smarter man today.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2023, 09:26:01 AM »

There are people who never do a damn thing that make good money with various endorsements. This got noticed. The kid had Magic Johnson tweeting that he saved the dunk contest. I see ATL posted below that he signed a Puma deal. I'm sure it's not huge, but it's a start.That obviously was done before the dunk contest. There are a hell of a lot more people who know who he is than there was three days ago. The article linked by ATL says he has 887k insta followers. It's at a million today. He's going to make some money.

Yea, I’m not sure I can remember who won the last 3.

I can't. But I'll bet people remember this dunk contest for a while.

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2023, 09:33:28 AM »
I'm not saying he won't make endorsement money. I just don't think it will be "low seven figures." My guess is the shoe deal with Puma is low six figures at best, and that includes merchandise.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2023, 09:33:56 AM »

I think it depends on the remarkability of the win. People talked about Michael Jordan's first dunk contest win for years. I saw a clip of it on TV within the last few weeks.
Have some patience, FFS.

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2023, 09:41:55 AM »
I think it depends on the remarkability of the win. People talked about Michael Jordan's first dunk contest win for years. I saw a clip of it on TV within the last few weeks.

1. Dunk contests meant A LOT more then.

2. He was Michael Jordan

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2023, 09:45:03 AM »

2. He was Michael Jordan

He wasn't Michael Jordan back then. That dunk contest is what first made him a real star.
Have some patience, FFS.

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2023, 09:57:48 AM »
He wasn't Michael Jordan back then. That dunk contest is what first made him a real star.

Not really. He won his first dunk contest in 1987. He had already been frozen out of the All Star game by Isiah, won NBA rookie of the year, dropped 63 on the Celtics during his injury shortened second year, and released two generations of Air Jordans by that time.

Jordan was creating buzz REALLY early in his rookie year. I think what made the old-timers sit up and take notice was the 63 point game in the playoffs.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 09:59:37 AM by The Sultan of Semantics »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2023, 10:23:41 AM »

I imagine that's driven a lot by the Jordan's ultimate greatness and his lasting presence on the cultural landscape around the world.
Had MJ faded after that and never accomplished anything of significance, I very much doubt his dunk contest would be spoken of today. He'd be Dee Brown.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2023, 10:29:25 AM »
Yea, Gordon and Lavine had an amazing dunk contest and I’m not sure how much that lifted their endorsements. Those two are also pretty established NBA players. McClung is less established than Juan Anderson.

Everything I’ve seen, is Jordan had quite a bit of buzz around him before 1987. The Jordan 1’s were really popular and he was Rookie of the Year and an All Star by that time.