'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Looking ahead to the Big East Tournament  (Read 3599 times)

HowardsWorld

• All American
Looking ahead to the Big East Tournament
« on: February 16, 2023, 10:00:49 AM »
With only 4 games remaining, I started looking toward the Big East Tournament and possible seeding. The Creighton game is the most important remaining on the schedule not only because it keeps Marquette 1 full game above everyone else but it also guarantees that even if Marquette slips up in one of the final 3 games they would still be the 1 seed due to tie breakers.

If the season were to end in a 3 or 4 way tie, the tiebreaker would go to mini conferences and Marquette would be the only one to be 2-0 against Creighton giving them the 1 seed.

Looking at a perfect situation Marquette would be the 1 seed, 4/5 game would be providence/Seton Hall and the 2,3 6 would be X, Creighton and Uconn.

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Looking ahead to the Big East Tournament
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2023, 11:20:18 AM »
It’s gonna be decided by a damn coin flip. Smh
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2023, 12:41:53 PM »
It’s gonna be decided by a damn coin flip. Smh

I don’t think that’s how it works. It is my understanding that if a tie is not decided by the various things like head to head records and wins over the top teams in the standings, the next factor is NET rating published by the NCAA on the day after Big East play is completed.

This could happen if Creighton wins out, MU wins its three other games, and Providence and Xavier both lose at least one more game. PC and X play each other so at least one of them will have one more loss.

If that happens MU and Creighton will not only have identical 16-4 records, but will have split with each other and have road losses to UConn, PC, and X. Because Creighton is currently one spot ahead of MU in the NET, would have added a win over MU, and has a tougher schedule remaining, they would likely win that NET tiebreaker.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2023, 12:43:10 PM »
I’m looking ahead to the Final Four. Bigger fish to fry this season than getting worn out in NYC.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2023, 01:09:47 PM »
I don’t think that’s how it works. It is my understanding that if a tie is not decided by the various things like head to head records and wins over the top teams in the standings, the next factor is NET rating published by the NCAA on the day after Big East play is completed.

This could happen if Creighton wins out, MU wins its three other games, and Providence and Xavier both lose at least one more game. PC and X play each other so at least one of them will have one more loss.

If that happens MU and Creighton will not only have identical 16-4 records, but will have split with each other and have road losses to UConn, PC, and X. Because Creighton is currently one spot ahead of MU in the NET, would have added a win over MU, and has a tougher schedule remaining, they would likely win that NET tiebreaker.

Publicly available information says the final tiebreaker would indeed be a coin flip, not NET rankings. http://cdn0.sbnation.com/assets/4086343/Big_East_tiebreaker-procedure.pdf

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2023, 01:11:03 PM »
Hey, losing a coin flip gets an evening game on Thursday. I would be fine with that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2023, 01:21:49 PM »
I'm pretty sure all four of the top teams are undefeated at home in conference play.
A lot of real tight games, but everyone has held serve.

So a MU win @ Creighton would be the tie-breaker, as they'd be the only team to go 4-2 in that 4-way tie scenario.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2023, 01:22:37 PM »
When the NET was introduced, there was at least one year when it was a part of the tie breaking methodology (2019). I believe by the next one… 2021 it had been removed.

Can’t say I’ve seen the 2023 methodology distinctly published, but I’m thinking it again will not include NET

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2023, 02:07:33 PM »
I’m looking ahead to the Final Four. Bigger fish to fry this season than getting worn out in NYC.

Yep. A nice run in the NCAA is the main course.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2023, 02:24:21 PM »
Publicly available information says the final tiebreaker would indeed be a coin flip, not NET rankings. http://cdn0.sbnation.com/assets/4086343/Big_East_tiebreaker-procedure.pdf

Considering that that item refers to seeding the teams 1-10, it is clearly outdated.

It is possible that they eliminated NET from the equation because it would require waiting until Sunday to set the pairings.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 02:41:18 PM by wisblue »

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2023, 02:28:55 PM »
Seeds aside, really think UConn wins the BET. That team is built for tourney success.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2023, 03:48:51 PM »
I love the optimism Goose, but lets pump the brakes just a tad at this point.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2023, 03:51:38 PM »
Considering that that item refers to seeding the teams 1-10, it is clearly outdated.

It is possible that they eliminated NET from the equation because it would require waiting until Sunday to set the pairings.

…or because it’s stupid and some other big conferences never used it.

I can’t find 2022’s, but 2021’s definitely has done away w the NET nonsense:
https://www.bigeast.com/sports/2021/2/26/MBB_0226212241.aspx

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2023, 04:15:26 PM »
I love the optimism Goose, but lets pump the brakes just a tad at this point.

We're 11th in the country, we may be 9th on Monday.  If you're not thinking about Houston, you're not living. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2023, 04:20:04 PM »
We're 11th in the country, we may be 9th on Monday.  If you're not thinking about Houston, you're not living. 

Yep. In 2003, we were ranked 11th this exact same week. And in 2013, the last time in the Elite 8, we never were this highly ranked.  I get that it's not LIKELY. But it certainly more likely now than it has been in awhile.

But willie's gonna willie.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2023, 04:27:37 PM »
I’m not bumping any brakes until the season comes to an end. If you cannot dream about the FF this year, when the hell can you?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2023, 04:46:09 PM »
I’m not bumping any brakes until the season comes to an end. If you cannot dream about the FF this year, when the hell can you?
Agreed. This team may have some flaws, but they seem to be able.to overcome those every game.

Nice pub in the ESPN article.today about the bracket.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2023, 05:23:31 PM »
…or because it’s stupid and some other big conferences never used it.

I can’t find 2022’s, but 2021’s definitely has done away w the NET nonsense:
https://www.bigeast.com/sports/2021/2/26/MBB_0226212241.aspx

So, apparently nobody really knows what the current rules are. It’s odd that they aren’t published on the Big East website.

The 2021 procedures aren’t a good indicator because that season was messed up by cancellations and not all teams playing the same number of games.

For what it’s worth, the website that does the seed calculations refers to the NET in the case of a tie at 16-4 between MU and Creighton.

Out of curiosity, if you’re shaking your head about a seed being decided by a damn coin flip, what would you recommend?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 05:25:09 PM by wisblue »

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2023, 05:29:18 PM »

I don’t see that being interested in the conference tournament precludes also looking ahead to the NCAA tournament.

I am not in the camp that thinks that losing early in the conference tournament helps a team in the NCAA. So, why not win them both?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2023, 05:41:32 PM »
Agreed. This team may have some flaws, but they seem to be able.to overcome those every game.

…..against Big East opponents.
I hope we can continue to do anything needed to win in the ncaas.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2023, 05:45:13 PM »
…..against Big East opponents.
I hope we can continue to do anything needed to win in the ncaas.
Flip side is that these opponents know us the best. Anybody we play in NCAA will be less familiar.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2023, 06:11:38 PM »
So, apparently nobody really knows what the current rules are. It’s odd that they aren’t published on the Big East website.

The 2021 procedures aren’t a good indicator because that season was messed up by cancellations and not all teams playing the same number of games.

For what it’s worth, the website that does the seed calculations refers to the NET in the case of a tie at 16-4 between MU and Creighton.

Out of curiosity, if you’re shaking your head about a seed being decided by a damn coin flip, what would you recommend?

Heard it was determined by back alley knife fight
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2023, 06:20:39 PM »
Heard it was determined by back alley knife fight

That’s good.  Marquette has plenty of experience
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2023, 06:37:32 PM »

I know what the rules are

I’d recommend fans have a beer drinking competition for the tiebreaker

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2023, 06:50:07 PM »

Yessir.

I'm not saying I'd hate a BET title. But I won't be even a little disappointed if we lose Friday and our guys are healthy, rested and ready for the NCAA tournament.

I'm planning my entire March around the madness!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback