[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2023 Coaching Carousel  (Read 86376 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #675 on: March 22, 2023, 02:26:45 PM »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #676 on: March 22, 2023, 02:59:48 PM »
Hahahahhahahaha. I laughed out loud at this reply.

https://twitter.com/TitosFishTacos/status/1638607950544793601?t=uFVmQxHoOGsNqMEOaNcRaQ&s=19

Yeah, that is funny...they look excited to be there.

There's some resentment of the basketball program in the athletics department at Georgetown. Not sure if the same is true at Marquette or other basketball-centric schools. Being told, "Drop whatever you're doing and come to a meeting with Ed Cooley" probably doesn't help with that. Hopefully, he won them over before the end of the meeting and they looked a little more enthusiastic on the way out the door.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #677 on: March 22, 2023, 03:19:31 PM »
This...doesn't strike me as the best look for Cooley: https://twitter.com/John_Fanta/status/1638604117391310850

What a strange thing to do.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #678 on: March 22, 2023, 03:56:02 PM »
What a strange thing to do.
Agreed. Shouldn't the AD or President be calling for that meeting?

I understand men's basketball is the reason most if not all have jobs there and pays 90% (100%?) of their salaries but that comes off as arrogant.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #679 on: March 22, 2023, 03:57:02 PM »
There’s no doubt that the greatest college basketball coaches have big egos—Shaka included (in his own way). But even before his shaky departure from PU, I can’t help to feel that Cooley has gone off the rails a bit with his self-reverence these past 18 months. I hope I’m wrong for the sake of the Big East, but I have a nagging suspicion that this isn’t going to work out at Georgetown.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #680 on: March 22, 2023, 03:58:37 PM »
Agreed. Shouldn't the AD or President be calling for that meeting?

I understand men's basketball is the reason most if not all have jobs there and pays 90% (100%?) of their salaries but that comes off as arrogant.

It comes off as extremely arrogant. Compare that with Shaka, who appears to have made a good faith effort on an individual level to support his fellow MU coaches and programs. Loved him shouting out that LAX win last week.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #681 on: March 22, 2023, 04:12:36 PM »

Yeah, the egos can be a real problem, but I said something similar to my daughter when I dropped her off at GU -- in the brand new (at the time) Thompson Athletic Center. I told her, "If it ever bothers you that the basketball team gets preferential treatment or extra benefits, remember that the money they bring in pays for all this."
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #682 on: March 22, 2023, 04:41:29 PM »
Former Coach of Kim English points out some excellent character traits

https://www.abc6.com/former-coach-of-kim-english-says-providence-has-the-right-guy/
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #683 on: March 22, 2023, 04:45:35 PM »
Shrewsberry to Notre Dame.
VIOLENCE!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #684 on: March 22, 2023, 04:55:13 PM »
55 mi.  my bad.  Still easy enough to be a fan of Nebraska if Creighton falls off a cliff.

It's less distance than Madison to Milwaukee.

Tell me that you don't know jack about Nebraska without telling me you don't know jack about Nebraska.

(Not much of an pwn, I know.  😆)

JTJ3

• Team Captain
« Reply #685 on: March 22, 2023, 05:04:59 PM »

Cant for us in the Royce Parham recruitment.  Seemed like the top 2 was Marquette and Penn State.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #686 on: March 22, 2023, 05:07:25 PM »
Former Coach of Kim English points out some excellent character traits

https://www.abc6.com/former-coach-of-kim-english-says-providence-has-the-right-guy/
I hope I am 100% wrong, but looking at English's record make me feel like PC went to the DePaul school of picking coaches.

I hope I regret this post but the resume is not strong.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #687 on: March 22, 2023, 05:10:02 PM »
So how much security will Cooley require when Gtown visits PC? Can you imagine if Crean went to another BE team.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #688 on: March 22, 2023, 05:14:39 PM »
Cant for us in the Royce Parham recruitment.  Seemed like the top 2 was Marquette and Penn State.

Also should help Marquette's NET/Resume next year as well as ND shouldn't be nearly as bad as they were last year. They come to Milwaukee next year to finish the Home and Home.
VIOLENCE!

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #689 on: March 22, 2023, 06:10:39 PM »
So how much security will Cooley require when Gtown visits PC? Can you imagine if Crean went to another BE team.

If the fans remember how totally freaked out Cooley was by the Bradley Center Bat, they're going to release a couple hundred of bats when he returns to their arena. Security cannot protect him from that.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #690 on: March 22, 2023, 06:20:05 PM »
I hope I am 100% wrong, but looking at English's record make me feel like PC went to the DePaul school of picking coaches.

I hope I regret this post but the resume is not strong.

English at PC feels like Majerus at MU (or insert other promising coach too early).  He's got a ton of potential, I read a lot of good stuff about him from connected people, but it just seems too early/he's too raw for a tough job in a cutthroat conference.

I tend to side with you.  But I think he has a rough 3-4 years at PC, then goes to another mid major or lead assistant at a strong high major, and then is very successful in his second stint at a high level job.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #691 on: March 22, 2023, 06:21:18 PM »
Also should help Marquette's NET/Resume next year as well as ND shouldn't be nearly as bad as they were last year. They come to Milwaukee next year to finish the Home and Home.

We'll have to see how the portal shakes out, but I wouldn't be confident that Notre Dame is any better next year.
Five of their top six players were seniors, and the sixth is transferring. They have one returning player who averaged more than 2 ppg last season.
Shrewsbury isn't a miracle worker. But for an extremely hot March, Penn State was an NIT team.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #692 on: March 22, 2023, 06:30:45 PM »
English at PC feels like Majerus at MU (or insert other promising coach too early).  He's got a ton of potential, I read a lot of good stuff about him from connected people, but it just seems too early/he's too raw for a tough job in a cutthroat conference.

I tend to side with you.  But I think he has a rough 3-4 years at PC, then goes to another mid major or lead assistant at a strong high major, and then is very successful in his second stint at a high level job.

You're not wrong, but you could probably have said the same about a lot of coaches who turned out to be very good.
Buzz Williams, for one. He had less experience (and less success) when he took over at MU, and the conference was no less cutthroat.
Nate Oats had a couple more years head coaching experience when he landed the Bama gig, but in a weaker conference than the A-10, and he had zero experience at a P6 school. He was only six years removed from high school coaching when he went to Bama.

It's more likely than not that English doesn't have a similar trajectory, but it's not beyond the realm that he does well.

panda

• All American
« Reply #693 on: March 22, 2023, 06:41:55 PM »

Anthony grant 2.0

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #694 on: March 22, 2023, 07:38:11 PM »

Greg Gard.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #695 on: March 22, 2023, 07:55:09 PM »
So Shaka is not going to ND? Huh. Strange, the ND fans were mistaken. I am shocked.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #696 on: March 22, 2023, 09:27:45 PM »
You're not wrong, but you could probably have said the same about a lot of coaches who turned out to be very good.
Buzz Williams, for one. He had less experience (and less success) when he took over at MU, and the conference was no less cutthroat.
Nate Oats had a couple more years head coaching experience when he landed the Bama gig, but in a weaker conference than the A-10, and he had zero experience at a P6 school. He was only six years removed from high school coaching when he went to Bama.

It's more likely than not that English doesn't have a similar trajectory, but it's not beyond the realm that he does well.

Buzz is fair, I’ll disagree on Oats.  He was 10 years older than English when he was hired at Bama.  He had 7 years as an assistant, a decade of being a very successful HS coach (Xs and Os matter) and then 4 years I’d sustained success at UB including 2 tourney wins and a top 25 team.  After inheriting a team that lost its top 3 scorers and 4 of 5 starters.   He hadn’t coached/recruited at the SEC level but he had much more of a track record of success as an actual coach

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #697 on: March 23, 2023, 08:25:38 AM »
Per an ESPN notification just received, seems Kim English to Providence is now official.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #698 on: March 23, 2023, 12:39:07 PM »
Possibly I missed it listed here prior, but read  former MU assistant Brett Nelson out at Holy Cross. As I recall, Nelson was highly thought of during his time here.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #699 on: March 23, 2023, 12:43:07 PM »
Possibly I missed it listed here prior, but read  former MU assistant Brett Nelson out at Holy Cross. As I recall, Nelson was highly thought of during his time here.

He was known as the shot fixer when he was here.  Lot of positive vibes when he got hired to Wojo’s staff.  Ties to Florida.  Would make sense to latch on somewhere down there
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”