[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka Postgame Presser - Georgetown  (Read 3337 times)

BLWarrior91

• All American
Shaka Postgame Presser - Georgetown
« on: February 12, 2023, 08:20:49 AM »
Shaka is so good at this.  Very insightful as always.  Great stuff about last year’s finish and working to avoid it this year. 

https://youtu.be/rQuLF560PVw

Goose

• All American
Re: Shaka Postgame Presser - Georgetown
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2023, 08:27:01 AM »
I have said it many times, last year's finish was the best thing that could have happened for this season. That was a part of my optimism going into this year. Losing two road games to the bottom part of the BE cost MU dearly last season. This year, MU is much better than the lower half and need to continue to take care of business. If they do, a much better seed over last year and much higher probability for March success.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2023, 08:43:18 AM »
I have said it many times, last year's finish was the best thing that could have happened for this season. That was a part of my optimism going into this year. Losing two road games to the bottom part of the BE cost MU dearly last season. This year, MU is much better than the lower half and need to continue to take care of business. If they do, a much better seed over last year and much higher probability for March success.

Goose,

Any concerns about our defense vs Creighton or XU?  Ty.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2023, 08:55:16 AM »
Both are good teams, Muggsy.  You watched both games.  What do you think MU should do?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2023, 08:56:31 AM »
Muggsy

The defense remains an unknown. It seems like they are capable of having stretches of lockdown D and then the offense struggles a bit. I think Creighton is the real deal and going to be tough win, and probably need to outscore them in a high scoring game. As for X, I think they hold serve and win the game regardless of high or low scoring game.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2023, 09:20:27 AM »
Both are good teams, Muggsy.  You watched both games.  What do you think MU should do?
He’s so helpless.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2023, 10:47:43 AM »

I think we need to do a better job protecting the vertical dribble drive.  Sometimes Oso hedges too high.  I'd also like to see us take a few charges.  Obviously on Tues UCONN went bananas from distance but they also killed us on the glass.  I'm of the belief that at times we over-trap and over switch. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 11:35:34 AM by MuggsyB »

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2023, 10:55:22 AM »
Muggsy

The defense remains an unknown. It seems like they are capable of having stretches of lockdown D and then the offense struggles a bit. I think Creighton is the real deal and going to be tough win, and probably need to outscore them in a high scoring game. As for X, I think they hold serve and win the game regardless of high or low scoring game.

Yep on Creighton.

Who is "they"? Xavier or Marquette?
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2023, 11:07:34 AM »
I think Creighton is the real deal and going to be tough win, and probably need to outscore them in a high scoring game.

Creighton hasn't been the high-scoring team of some past years, and their D is 12th on kenpom. Their last four games, they have won 63-53, 66-61, 75-62, 56-53, and they only scored 58 in the game at Fiserv (though they were without Kalkbrenner). They often milk the clock, with Scheierman, Kaluma or Kalkbrenner (or even a guard) backing down his man.

So it's gonna be interesting to see what kind of pace our game with them has. If our guys are successful at pushing it, maybe it will be higher-scoring. Doesn't matter to me as long as blue and gold finishes with more points!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2023, 11:11:02 AM »

I agree on your post. My thought is MU would struggle in a low scoring game, but getting it into a shootout will be a challenge.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2023, 11:58:59 AM »
Creighton hasn't been the high-scoring team of some past years, and their D is 12th on kenpom. Their last four games, they have won 63-53, 66-61, 75-62, 56-53, and they only scored 58 in the game at Fiserv (though they were without Kalkbrenner). They often milk the clock, with Scheierman, Kaluma or Kalkbrenner (or even a guard) backing down his man.

So it's gonna be interesting to see what kind of pace our game with them has. If our guys are successful at pushing it, maybe it will be higher-scoring. Doesn't matter to me as long as blue and gold finishes with more points!

Out of six games left, Creighton has four on the road and with that aforementioned scoring, anything can happen to upset the apple cart.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2023, 12:51:02 PM »

I agree on your post. My thought is MU would struggle in a low scoring game, but getting it into a shootout will be a challenge.

UConn had open looks yesterday but only shot 7-27 from 3.  Shoot 30% and they win
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2023, 12:53:01 PM »
I’m looking for a split of our last two big games. Think we probably beat Xavier and lose to Creighton.

I think MU and X have a deeper run than Creighton in the NCAA Tournament. Obviously matchups are important. But the combination of a team with no depth that doesn’t shoot well isn’t great come Tournament time.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2023, 01:02:02 PM »
UConn had open looks yesterday but only shot 7-27 from 3.  Shoot 30% and they win
30% and they tie.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2023, 01:03:55 PM »
30% and they tie.

33% wins but 30% sounds cooler
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2023, 01:05:51 PM »
Channeling my inner sultan.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2023, 04:09:37 PM »
I’m looking for a split of our last two big games. Think we probably beat Xavier and lose to Creighton.

I think MU and X have a deeper run than Creighton in the NCAA Tournament. Obviously matchups are important. But the combination of a team with no depth that doesn’t shoot well isn’t great come Tournament time.

Can't believe you are looking ahead to the Creighton game. Don't you know the most important game of the season is the next one?  ;D
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2023, 04:21:21 PM »

I think MU beats Xavier. I think Creighton is the last Big East team standing in the NCAA tournament. They almost beat Kansas last year in the first game after Kalkbrenner got hurt.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2023, 11:08:49 PM »

I agree with this analysis. Creighton and fans will be in full force. X is a must win game which I think we will. The UConn game was important because going into Omaha plus one game would have aligned us to a Big East championship no matter what. I don’t think providence can beat Creighton so I think BE Champion is determined by the winner of our game with them.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2023, 11:19:49 PM »
Channeling my inner sultan.

Thoughts and prayers for your recovery.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2023, 12:17:22 AM »
I agree with this analysis. Creighton and fans will be in full force. X is a must win game which I think we will. The UConn game was important because going into Omaha plus one game would have aligned us to a Big East championship no matter what. I don’t think providence can beat Creighton so I think BE Champion is determined by the winner of our game with them.

As it should be. BE champ needs to beat a real team on the road. If we can't do it we don't deserve the title.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2023, 07:38:01 AM »
As it should be. BE champ needs to beat a real team on the road. If we can't do it we don't deserve the title.

OUCH!

Wish I could argue the point, but I cannot. You're right.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2023, 07:40:08 AM »

You might be right about Creighton beating Providence, but to say Providence can't win is over the top. Creighton barely beat Providence in Omaha when The Provi was without Bynum, and recently nearly lost at home to Nova and UConn. They are 3-4 on the road, including losses to X and UConn (and MU without Kalkbrenner). Oh, and Providence is 13-0 at home.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2023, 08:35:04 AM »

This is why I wasn't that put off by our result at UConn. Had they shot like that against us, we would've won. They just had a fortunate shooting game.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2023, 08:51:40 AM »

This is rubbish.

If Marquette loses at Creighton and still wins the BE they will have earned it, and sure as hell deserve it.