* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:24:27 AM]

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by tower912
[Today at 06:21:27 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Marketing Ideas  (Read 14496 times)

withoutbias

• All American
Marketing Ideas
« on: February 02, 2023, 11:27:10 AM »
Since the marketing department sucks, let's hear them.

Do people really think that those who follow Marquette's social media pages are unaware of when their games are and that they can buy tickets for those games?  Do they really think spam emails to people will get them to be like, "Hey, you know what?  I could really use tickets to the MU game on a Wednesday night!"

Not everyone lives and dies by Marquette basketball like we the people on Scoop do.  Most people are casual fans who have figured out there's life outside of the sports arenas since COVID hit and realize that there are ways to enjoy games without actually attending them.  That's the nature of sports today.  A small private school selling 14K tickets to a late Wednesday game?  Consistently being one of the highest attendance numbers in the country while playing about 6th fiddle in the city of Milwaukee?

What are the ideas?  They already do social media posts.  They've done ticket deals.  They've done be a student deals.  Guess what?  They still aren't selling games out! (Other than NMD).

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Marketing Ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 11:35:15 AM »
$1 beer night like Creighton would get me to Milwaukee.

Could do what the admirals do with B list concerts after games.

Maybe do a family day for some buy game.

Or "incoming students day" (I know they did this when I was a senior in HS for Syracuse vs MU highest attended game in MU history)

Regarding emails I'd need to see the analytics but I know on one of my accounts it's an average 7 touches to reach a conversion across all marketing channels, so social, email, paid search etc are contributing but when it's only a handful of days between games hitting that metric is a pretty tall order for casual fans
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 11:38:26 AM »
Since the marketing department sucks, let's hear them.

Do people really think that those who follow Marquette's social media pages are unaware of when their games are and that they can buy tickets for those games?  Do they really think spam emails to people will get them to be like, "Hey, you know what?  I could really use tickets to the MU game on a Wednesday night!"

Not everyone lives and dies by Marquette basketball like we the people on Scoop do.  Most people are casual fans who have figured out there's life outside of the sports arenas since COVID hit and realize that there are ways to enjoy games without actually attending them.  That's the nature of sports today.  A small private school selling 14K tickets to a late Wednesday game?  Consistently being one of the highest attendance numbers in the country while playing about 6th fiddle in the city of Milwaukee?

What are the ideas?  They already do social media posts.  They've done ticket deals.  They've done be a student deals.  Guess what?  They still aren't selling games out! (Other than NMD).

Who are the other 5 fiddles?

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 11:44:44 AM »
A Warrior tshirt night would bring out the crowds

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 11:50:53 AM »

Or "incoming students day" (I know they did this when I was a senior in HS for Syracuse vs MU highest attended game in MU history)

Regarding emails I'd need to see the analytics but I know on one of my accounts it's an average 7 touches to reach a conversion across all marketing channels, so social, email, paid search etc are contributing but when it's only a handful of days between games hitting that metric is a pretty tall order for casual fans

Obviously the Bradley Center was a much better venue than FF.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 11:52:09 AM »
Bucks/MU double header.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2023, 11:52:43 AM »
Bucks/MU double header.

On the Mecca floor!
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2023, 12:00:04 PM »
Buzz Williams bobble head

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2023, 12:05:47 PM »
I think a lot of people are conflating the concepts of "marketing," which is broadly promoting the basketball program across multiple channels, and "ticket and game day promotions," which is a very specific form of marketing for a specific purpose - to generate a crowd.

I think Marquette does the former just fine.

As for the latter, I am not sure. It does seem like there is a lot less of this stuff than in year's past, but I also don't have a full grasp of the cost / benefit analysis. Forget a sell out - how much time, effort and money would it have taken to even increase yesterday's crowd to 14,000? Are there better uses for that time, effort and money?

As consumers, we only see the end result. But the University likely has a better understanding of the metrics involved here.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2023, 12:08:45 PM »
Should do a 2 for 1 sale with tickets not sold upstairs, all you need to do is send an email out, cost minimal

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2023, 12:11:05 PM »
I get a lot more engagement from the DePaul AAD than I do from Marquette's athletics department. Asking me to come by Wintrust for tours, events, campus stuff. It always feels like personal outreach. Their sales/marketing is pretty good. It can't touch the Cubs, but still, really good from DePaul. Marquette? Nothing. I'm a former season ticket holder so I'm dead to them.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2023, 12:16:30 PM »
I get a lot more engagement from the DePaul AAD than I do from Marquette's athletics department. Asking me to come by Wintrust for tours, events, campus stuff. It always feels like personal outreach. Their sales/marketing is pretty good. It can't touch the Cubs, but still, really good from DePaul. Marquette? Nothing. I'm a former season ticket holder so I'm dead to them.

Yet Wintrust sold out its first game ever last Saturday - when Marquette came to town.  So how cost effective is this "engagement" that DePaul is doing actually? Not saying its necessarily bad, but we don't understand the costs.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2023, 12:20:02 PM »
I think if you want to maximize butts in seats then moving the student section to behind one basket would be a good idea. Specifically the sections would be 110-113 in the lower and 213-217 in the upper. I don’t think the students who show up late really care where they sit anyway and it’s fair and equitable. Show up early if you want better seats.

Those behind the basket seats on the other end would be good seats to run promos on and do mini packs for. The upper deck is a much tougher sell and those really are only in demand for the very best games.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2023, 12:20:45 PM »
Ideas:

1. 2 for 1 tickets … upstairs / week day games

2. Bobble heads… MU used to do this.
The Brewers do it all the time !

3.  Tshirts giveaways to ALL fans … on a GOLD out or “ stripe out “

4.  A retro jersey night.
( why did MU not wear retro jerseys on the night of 2003 team ?  And then sell them at the FF )

5.  Kids night ( kids under 14 get in free w / an adult)

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2023, 12:27:52 PM »
What they need to do is to get enough casual fans to games who then realize what an awesome experience they have been missing with the hopes to convert some casual fans to passionate fans.

You don't want to have people waiting to buy tickets knowing there's a cheap promotion coming.  That dilutes the value.

Prospective students and families could be another marketing tool for the university.  Packed house, fun night..."I need to go to Marquette."

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2023, 12:30:41 PM »
Ideas:

1. 2 for 1 tickets … upstairs / week day games

2. Bobble heads… MU used to do this.
The Brewers do it all the time !

3.  Tshirts giveaways to ALL fans … on a GOLD out or “ stripe out “

4.  A retro jersey night.
( why did MU not wear retro jerseys on the night of 2003 team ?  And then sell them at the FF )

5.  Kids night ( kids under 14 get in free w / an adult)

1) If you want a 2 for 1 price you can find cheap tickets on the secondary market.  Price isn't what's keeping people away.

2) Would work but seems like alot of money to spend to get an extra 1,000 people (optimistic) to one game.

3) A t-shirt isn't drawing anyone to a game.

4) Seeing the team play in a different jersey isn't drawing anyone to the game.

5) I like this idea to build young fans, but again you can find cheap tickets on the secondary market to essentially get a 2 for 1 price.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2023, 12:33:42 PM »
1) If you want a 2 for 1 price you can find cheap tickets on the secondary market.  Price isn't what's keeping people away.

2) Would work but seems like alot of money to spend to get an extra 1,000 people (optimistic) to one game.

3) A t-shirt isn't drawing anyone to a game.

4) Seeing the team play in a different jersey isn't drawing anyone to the game.

5) I like this idea to build young fans, but again you can find cheap tickets on the secondary market to essentially get a 2 for 1 price.

4) Would draw more people to the game but I think it'd have to be the 70s throwbacks not the 03 year.
Maigh Eo for Sam

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2023, 12:43:06 PM »
Interview fans at the big moments in the game. Like after that huge three by Jop, someone in the crowd get an immediate reaction. Interview fans coming in and leaving for a big game/victory. Post all this on social. Even live post.

More videos with relationships and excitement between the team and fans. We do a good job showing the team, which is exciting, and showing the fans might make people think ooh I’d like to interact with the team.

Have the team and coaches show up at local middle/high schools to high five and chat with the kids. Get the kids to hound the parents to go.

Promote a local business each week, have a couple guys show up, mingle.

I think the marketing piece is more about the relationship between Marquette and the city and less about discounted seats and giveaways. It’s about our mission as a university to serve the city and community. Keep MU at top of mind and those extra seats will sell. Of course, winning helps.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2023, 12:48:43 PM »
Interview fans at the big moments in the game. Like after that huge three by Jop, someone in the crowd get an immediate reaction. Interview fans coming in and leaving for a big game/victory. Post all this on social. Even live post.

More videos with relationships and excitement between the team and fans. We do a good job showing the team, which is exciting, and showing the fans might make people think ooh I’d like to interact with the team.

Have the team and coaches show up at local middle/high schools to high five and chat with the kids. Get the kids to hound the parents to go.

Promote a local business each week, have a couple guys show up, mingle.

I think the marketing piece is more about the relationship between Marquette and the city and less about discounted seats and giveaways. It’s about our mission as a university to serve the city and community. Keep MU at top of mind and those extra seats will sell. Of course, winning helps.

These probably fall closer to brand awareness, consideration and engagement KPIs than conversion. I agree most of these are excellent ideas. I just think that MU could be off the charts in each of these in their Quarterly metrics but till they see more butts in seats there's gonna be complaints
Maigh Eo for Sam

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2023, 12:51:59 PM »
When I was at a Catholic Grade School, I remember our school getting tickets for buy games when students were on break. Luckily, that was the 2003 Final Four year. That went a long way to planting the seed of my MU fandom.

Not sure if MU is still doing that, but it was a great way to start engagement and helped me choose MU later in life.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2023, 12:54:43 PM »
I love the tickets to schools idea.  Build a future fanbase.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2023, 01:11:13 PM »
Creighton donates a ton of upper deck seats for early season buy games to boys and girls clubs, schools, etc. may develop some lifelong MUBB fans.

Secondly, people want collectibles, free junk, etc. when was the last yome the had a Bobblehead giveaway? Jimmy? Jae?
They used to give away nerf backboard and baskets. D Wade bobbleheads put more than an additional 1,000 people in the stands.
Look at the Brewers…..sellouts or very close to it for each bobblehead. People want junk.
Tuesday night vs. Georgetown or St J …..bobble head night. Done.

DarkWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2023, 01:27:20 PM »
We have an amazing tradition and an incredible host of NBA players past and present. We need to go deep and find our brand. Connect our history with our present. Reignite what ties us all together and makes us different. Pull non-alumni back on to the bandwagon! This could still easily be Milwaukee's college basketball team, we used to be just that! So much opportunity in so many ways.

In fairness, the team does try do things like bring in old players, identify connections to Buck's players in the house, celebrate the Final Four Team, etc. Their simply is a missing element of a central consistent theme around which to rally that could electrify a new audience. I see success with this all the time in businesses with which my Company works. Understand the demographics and tapestries of potential target audiences, develop a coherent game plan to connect them in a visceral way to this team. Emotional connection and experience is everything.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2023, 01:32:13 PM »
These probably fall closer to brand awareness, consideration and engagement KPIs than conversion. I agree most of these are excellent ideas. I just think that MU could be off the charts in each of these in their Quarterly metrics but till they see more butts in seats there's gonna be complaints

For sure, and I’m a build from the foundations kind of marketer. Discounting isn’t my cup of tea, I am a butts will fill seats when people feel a connection to the program/school/game. This way is far more difficult and takes effort on the front end, but it’s sustainable. Giveaways aren’t, in my opinion.

As far as acute giveaway marketing ideas: partner with Goolsbys/otherwise that players will show up unannounced during their slowest times to give away tix (great way to build a relationship and make the place some dough), all city middle schools have a student of the week with the prize being 2 tickets, have the band March around the deer district a La the badgers (I know the horror), giveaway valet specials for those afraid to park downtown, offer local bars tickets a a lower price where they can run a game week special like burger beer and ticket for $25. The list is endless, but I’d start with the relationship between MU and MKE

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2023, 01:46:14 PM »

1) Packers (well, that's 1-100 really)
2) Brewers
3) Wisconsin football
4) Bucks
5) Wisconsin basketball

There are more Badger fans in Milwaukee than Marquette fans.