Maximilian Langenfeld by onepost
[Today at 10:11:40 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by onepost
[Today at 10:09:20 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 07:57:45 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[Today at 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marketing Ideas  (Read 14909 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Marketing Ideas
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2023, 09:16:49 AM »
We need gear that looks like the Leeds jerseys.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2023, 03:56:06 PM »
A little self awareness from the marketing dept would go a long way. Three nickname changes in 30 years reflects an identity crises from the top down (they are unimpressive people). I know, it isn't the marketing department's fault. Play the cards you're dealt.

A "Marquette Gold" 20th anniversary should be planned for 2025 (they would never).

The eventual MU rebrand turned out ok...  visually appealing lay out of 2 letters. Fine. From time to time a new generic and (sometimes) laughable variation of a bird is rolled out. Bad.

The social media presence should be used for more than scores and game times. In its current iteration it is totally irrelevant. The suits would never allow something with a hint of unapproved fun.

For all of their problems, DePaul was smart enough to resurrect Billy Blue Demon. I hate that school but love the logo. At least a broken clock is right twice a day.  It is the perfect iteration of a time and a place. Their 90's rebrand looked dated and limp immediately.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 05:14:19 PM by Blue Horseshoe »

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2023, 04:03:45 PM »
A little self awareness from the marketing dept would go a long way. Three nickname changes in 30 years reflects an identity crises from the top down (they are unimpressive people). I know, it isn't the marketing department's fault. Play the cards your dealt.

A "Marquette Gold" 20th anniversary should be planned for 2025 (they would never).

The eventual MU rebrand turned out ok...  visually appealing lay out of 2 letters. Fine. From time to time a new generic and (sometimes) laughable variation of a bird is rolled out. Bad.

The social media presence should be used for more than scores and game times. In its current iteration it is totally irrelevant. The suits would never allow something with a hint of unapproved fun.

For all of their problems, DePaul was smart enough to resurrect Billy Blue Demon. I hate that school but love the logo. At least a broken clock is right twice a day.  It is the perfect iteration of a time and a place. Their 90's rebrand looked dated and limp immediately.

You are being far too kind. They're doing a horsesh!t job. Need a total reboot of personnel. True "self awareness" to me means being capable of admitting that you have failed. They do not have that. Atom bomb approach please.

I mentioned several times on Scoop how I approached marketing in my business-full speed ahead, damn the torpedoes-and have absolutely no respect for a clueless, ignorant, self satisfied marketing department. 
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2023, 01:38:41 PM »
So far no late push to sell out Xavier. No discount. If you go through gomarquette.com it's actually more expensive than buying the same seats on Ticketmaster.

Maybe we'll see something today because people are burying Marquette Athletics for it on Twitter, and sometimes that gets their attention, but when you have a Big East title on the line, this should be a layup sales pitch.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2023, 01:44:24 PM »
So far no late push to sell out Xavier. No discount. If you go through gomarquette.com it's actually more expensive than buying the same seats on Ticketmaster.

Maybe we'll see something today because people are burying Marquette Athletics for it on Twitter, and sometimes that gets their attention, but when you have a Big East title on the line, this should be a layup sales pitch.

I bought regardless of sale. Its a big game.

Hope they do something though
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2023, 01:48:06 PM »

I doubt price is the issue that the game isn’t sold out. We have a great product - discounting it is not a good business practice. You don’t want to set the expectation in the marketplace that if an MU fan waits long enough they’ll be able to buy on the cheap.

MU should donate all available tickets that rent sold at face value to local elementary schools/Boys and Girls clubs and build future fans that way, while also putting butts in the seats.

panda

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2023, 01:49:00 PM »

There’s billboards around the city advertising the game

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2023, 01:49:52 PM »
Yeah, Ners is right here.  Discounting tickets now is just going to make it harder to sell them down the line.  It's just difficult for a good portion of the fanbase to make a 6:00 game on a Wednesday night....and it's just easier to watch at home.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2023, 01:50:23 PM »

They should go to local businesses that are big MU supporters. Do big group rates and get some alum/fans in the building. We have close to 100 MU alums at my company and my tickets don't last 5 minutes when I try to get rid of them to the group...

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2023, 01:52:13 PM »
Put a first rate basketball team on the floor.

Get a coach whose active in the community and committed to the university.

Just win baby -- defend your home court at all costs.

Get attractive games that mean something.

Oh wait, we're doing all that! We'll be fine.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2023, 01:55:20 PM »
MU did a fevo sales weeks ago for Villavova and/or Xavier for lower seats with no fees. Sold over 600 seats for Xavier game alone.

Reminder TM.com also includes resale tickets so some would be less.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 01:57:05 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2023, 02:00:35 PM »
Oh okay, I'm sure using the same sales methods that worked in 2003 will continue to succeed.

And price is a problem when you sell your tickets through ticketmaster and it's more expensive to get the exact same tickets through your website than if fans go to ticketmaster's.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2023, 02:19:52 PM »
Oh okay, I'm sure using the same sales methods that worked in 2003 will continue to succeed.

And price is a problem when you sell your tickets through ticketmaster and it's more expensive to get the exact same tickets through your website than if fans go to ticketmaster's.

Honest question, isn't ticketmaster always cheaper than going through an official site? I can't think of a time where I've ever gotten a better deal on an official site than I do a secondary sale site.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2023, 02:22:04 PM »
How bout a SPICY halftime act, heyna??
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2023, 02:27:04 PM »
Chipotle?   Popeye's?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2023, 02:28:56 PM »
Everyone in attendance gets a Honey Baked Ham on the way out.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2023, 02:30:10 PM »
How bout a SPICY halftime act, heyna??

Live recording of Hot Ones?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2023, 02:33:34 PM »
Wasn’t it the game where James broke his foot the AD went all out with the Sell Out UCONN theme? Even building a website. If I remember right, that was a multiple week campaign with a lot of visibility.

I do think there’s a lot working against live sports since then, but doesn’t seem like there’s been a big push to sell tickets.

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2023, 02:33:51 PM »
I’ve gotten two emails from Marquette today about Wednesday’s game so they are trying!

I don’t believe that the 6pm start is that big of a problem.  People complain about a later weeknight game and now they complain about an early one.  Grab the kids and go!  They can be in bed by 9.

If 15,000 can get there, surly there are another 2500 people in SE Wisconsin or NE Illinois who can fill those remaining seats.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2023, 02:39:26 PM »
Yep, get your co-workers, neighbors and tell your family. Everyone has to do their part. Someone wants to save on fees, go to the Fiserv Forum box office is a way to save money.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

panda

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2023, 02:41:11 PM »
I’ve gotten two emails from Marquette today about Wednesday’s game so they are trying!

I don’t believe that the 6pm start is that big of a problem.  People complain about a later weeknight game and now they complain about an early one.  Grab the kids and go!  They can be in bed by 9.

If 15,000 can get there, surly there are another 2500 people in SE Wisconsin or NE Illinois who can fill those remaining seats.

It’ll be close to a sell out. Those remaining tickets will be sold given the magnitude of the game. Lots of bellyaching over nothing
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 02:46:13 PM by panda »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2023, 02:45:34 PM »
Just got done yelling at voters on Twitter.

Now onto the marketing department!

Seriously.  Covid times taught a lot of people that it's easier, and sometimes even more enjoyable, to watch athletic events at home.  And it's certainly cheaper.  If you want to sell out all your games, then you'll have to build a 10K seat arena or move it back to the Panther arena.  A school of Marquette's size in a city like Milwaukee, you're not going to sell out a bunch of games in a 17K seat arena.  Great marketing department or not.  While it's not exactly LA or NYC, it's also not Omaha, Nebraska, where all there is to do is watch college athletics.

I've received emails and seen posts on social media urging people to get their tickets to the X game.  Not sure what else they should do.

And anyway, the student section sucks, the sweater vests sit on their hands, the band sucks, the DJ is too loud, and the concessions suck.  So even if you get that sellout, the gameday experience will still be awful.  I'd rather play on the road.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 02:48:07 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2023, 02:47:46 PM »
MU always ranks highly in attendance.    Impressive considering the size of the school and the diaspora of the alumni.    Other schools (not Creighton) wish they could get that many butts in seats. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2023, 02:48:37 PM »
MU always ranks highly in attendance.    Impressive considering the size of the school and the diaspora of the alumni.    Other schools (not Creighton) wish they could get that many butts in seats.

Just think what we could do with a semi competent marketing department.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2023, 02:49:36 PM »

Taking the wife and 3 kids (5, 3 and 1 years old). School night? Who cares! We have a ship on the line!

feedback